The Samsung Galaxy S24
electricmainline's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 25th, 2011 3:28 PM

HTC Inspire VS. Yahoo Mail

I am having a problem with Yahoo! Mail not working on my device.  I'm continually being told my username/password combination is incorrect.  I read another post where a customer had the same issue and found that if they disconnect from WiFi it will work.  This did work for a few days, even though I shouldn't have to do this just to get my mail, but I'm a patient person.  The problem, however, is now it isn't working on either the network or WiFi.  I've had to download the Yahoo! Mail App to get my emails.  Again, I'm OK with this as long as I get my mail.  I'm just curious if other's are having the same problem and if there's a solution?  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

I have pretty much the same issue on my Captivate. When I'm on my home Wi-Fi network (or any network, for that matter), I am unable to connect to my Yahoo! Mail account via Wi-Fi. The screen displays, "username or password incorrect". I know that I entered both correctly, as I even did it slowly multiple times. I refuse to connect to the data network outside of Wi-Fi because I don't want to incur any prepaid data charges.

However, before that message is displayed, reads this: "Mailbox access is not supported for some types of Yahoo! mail accounts. If you have trouble connecting, visit yahoo.com for more information". That's what I'm guessing the problem is - that your's and my Yahoo! accounts are the type that are not "supported".

Count me in, too. I would also like to know the answer to this.

Guru

• 

366 Messages

13 years ago

I have the Free Yahoo Email account. When I was setting it up in the native mail client, I was getting the authentication failure referring to my username/password so I selected Manual set up, changed the inbound mail server security to TLS, finished the set up without further error and all is good, able to send and receive email using that account (I found instances on other forums where they modified the SMTP address by adding android to the beginning of that address but I didnt have to). Now Wi-Fi is a different story, Iit is working today but it wasnt the other day. Stilltrying to figure that one out.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I followed Tbones post below - "When I was setting it up in the native mail client, I was getting the authentication failure referring to my username/password so I selected Manual set up, changed the inbound mail server security to TLS, finished the set up without further error and all is good, able to send and receive email using that account."

- Select Mail icon

- Select to add new account from Menu Options

- Select to add a POP/IMAP account

-Provide yahoo mail username and password and select Manual Set up, then

1. Incoming set up as IMAP with security type = TLS
    2. Outgoing set up as SMTP server "smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com"; Security type = None;

All looks good on wifi and otherwise.

Scholar

• 

216 Messages

13 years ago

I posted this over in the Samsung threads, but these settings should work with any Android, maybe technically any mobile device. Anyhow:

Yes this can be done, but choose to manually setup the account. To quote from another forum:

YAHOO IMAP

Incoming IMAP Mail ServerSetting 
:
User Name user@yahoo.com
Password 
your email password
Incoming Mail Server 
imap.n.mail.yahoo.com
Mail Box Name 
Yahoo IMAP
Mail Box Type 
IMAP
Security 
(Port) : Off
Port 
: Default

Outgoing IMAP Mail ServerSetting :
Email Address user@yahoo.com
User Name 
user@yahoo.com
Password 
your email password
Outgoing Mail Server 
smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Security 
(Port) : Off
Port 

Link:  http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/15600-yahoo-imap-hotmail-pop3-settings.html

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

@k2kzack wrote:

I followed Tbones post below - "When I was setting it up in the native mail client, I was getting the authentication failure referring to my username/password so I selected Manual set up, changed the inbound mail server security to TLS, finished the set up without further error and all is good, able to send and receive email using that account."

- Select Mail icon

- Select to add new account from Menu Options

- Select to add a POP/IMAP account

-Provide yahoo mail username and password and select Manual Set up, then

1. Incoming set up as IMAP with security type = TLS
    2. Outgoing set up as SMTP server "smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com"; Security type = None;

All looks good on wifi and otherwise.

I was able to setup this way also. However, I used SSL and it worked for me.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

HI!  I just tried everything that was suggested, and after it said 'next', and I had gotten finished, it said that my name password were 'authentication failed'.. HELP pls!

Shelley

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

You just have to keep trying.  After trying to enter my logon/password a few times and getting the error, I found this forum.  I knew my yahoo account would work because I've used it on my samsung moment for over a year just fine.  I tried all of the tricks mentioned above, and nothing would work.  However, I was determined to make it work.  After about 20-25 tries, it finally took.  Make the suggestions that others did by trying manual vs automatic and changing the security settings back and forth.  Something finally triggered it for me and it finally took after doing the same thing OVER AND OVER AGAIN. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

OMG thank you all for your help. I finally got it to work. I almost sold the phone, I was getting so mad!!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@techygal wrote:

OMG thank you all for your help. I finally got it to work. I almost sold the phone, I was getting so mad!!

Mine still won't work on my Captivate. 😞 I've entered all the IMAP settings and fields correctly, but it still refuses to work. 😞 I have turned Wi-Fi off as suggested in the "androidcentral" forum, but it still will not go through. I get the error "Setup could not finish: Unable to connect to server".

Any ideas?

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:

@techygal wrote:

Mine still won't work on my Captivate. 😞 I've entered all the IMAP settings and fields correctly, but it still refuses to work. 😞 I have turned Wi-Fi off as suggested in the "androidcentral" forum, but it still will not go through. I get the error "Setup could not finish: Unable to connect to server".

Any ideas?

Hey Wild Banchi:  I set up the ATT.net email (which is actually yahoo) with the following settings and that message went away for me:

Incoming:

IMAP Server:   imap.mail.yahoo.com

Security Type : SSL (always)

Port: 993

Outgoing:

SMTP Server:  smpt.mail.yahoo.com

Security Type;  SSL (always)

Port: 465

Requiere Sign-in checked

and of course, your att.net email and password

Not sure how many are taking advantage of the free att.net email but its the same as yahoo.  When i switched from the yahoo direct account to att.net, my logon/password error messages went away.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.