The Samsung Galaxy S24
valerie1766's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, December 3rd, 2012 4:52 PM

HELP!!! AFTER THE UPDATE I NO LONGER WANT MY SKYROCKET!!!

I loved my White Galaxy Skyrocket S II when I first got it. For the first 2 months or so it was a great phone to have coming from an iPhone 3gS I was not very fond of I found the change not very difficult at all. Before I really got to enjoy it I received a text telling me to update my phone and so I did; previously a Blackberry owner I looked forward to updates, they were always something better and pretty much seamless.

Well that was the end of the beginning of the end of my phone. It would seem that a lot of you were looking forward to the updates on this phone and I have to tell you I cannot see why, seriously. My phone was never the same, the point of me having to call Warranty and swap out my phone. For example, all of a sudden my battery is not lasting as long as it used to, the apps are constantly updating, at the same time the apps are locking up and freezing my phone-requesting to report the problem, freezing when I'm trying to make calls-seemingly at the most inopportune times, it stopped picking up all my messages at the time they were sent, the ringtones were inconsistent when the phone rang. Just off the top of my head those were some of the things that happened after the update to Ice Cream. The first phone they sent was wacky in many ways similar to my original phone and being the person I am I refuse to work with subpar equipment I paid for ... I'm not looking to get discounts on service I ordered I do however want the services I pay for usable and consistent. 

The customer service supervisor Warranty begged me to try one more phone because I was convinced that the Skyrocket just wasn't meant to have the ICS in it and wanted my Gingerbread back. Apparently that is not an option according to ATT and Samsung tech support, that was my first effort. So he notes and promises that if this phone doesn't work - the one their sending this time- I can switch to another phone that will be comparable to the Skyrocket and not a downgrade. Now, let me point out that I spent approximately 3.5 hours on the phone this day, was transferred no less than 6 times, and hung up on once all while I was at work! At the end of this call the same supervisor of who's name is written down along with everyone else and a timeline is amongst my notes on my desk. After all that, not only did he not send the phone express as promised, he didn't send the phone AT ALL! Something told me to call back on Friday which was the end of the week from the original call and I had never received an email or text about the conversation as I usually do. This representative, not sounding very confident said it was not scheduled to be sent express but that she would take care of it. Not being confident of her skill based on her tone of voice I called again and spoke to a gentleman who told me in no uncertain terms there was 'no order' for a phone and after reviewing the notes he 'apologized' and would get it right out to me. Two weeks in all it took to actually get this replacement and then I had to order a battery in the midst of all that because the battery was burnt out from the first two phones.

WHEW! That's saying a lot and I still haven't gotten to THIS PHONE! Once again I get the phone there aren't too many bumps it's a little different than Gingerbread but, okay I get used to it, use it for about a week or so before reloading my stuff slowly. Mind you Kies is a waste of time, when it works it doesn't work, you know what I mean. It updates everytime I open it and tosses everything I put in it. I digress though,... My phone pops up a screen one day that says I have a new update and no button that says 'ignore' or 'opt out'. So I go searching for a way to stop the notification. Mind you I know there are different ways this could be done but, sadly, I can't find anything. According to ATT support, they suggest everything in the menus I've already tried, there is no way. Same thing with Samsung. It's not long before I accidentally hit the button in a rush to actually use my phone and now ... It's crap again.

I swore I wouldn't ever buy another phone, and I paid for this one. I swore I would not ever sign another contract, I signed three(3)!!! ATT refuses to give me a phone of my choice, one in the Samsung family. I don't want an HTC One X nor do I want a Motorola Atrix HD!!! What I really want is my Samsung Skyrocket like it was when I first got it. Oh and guess what? My iPhone 3Gs stopped working within weeks of me not using it regularly! 

No one at Warranty or Retention offers me a solution that respects the 10+ years that I've been with them, never less than 2 lines, regular upgrades and all the people I've sent over to them prior to the last few years. I cannot, in good conscious send anyone to any major carrier anymore. Among my peers I am the go to person for most purchases especially when it comes to electronics & technology. I broke my own rule and now I'm stuck with no avenues of assistance. All I want is someone that will restore me to service I pay for with a phone that will give me that consistently of my choosing, preferably in the Samsung family and that seems to be off the table regardless of how much I pay monthly, how long I've been with this company, or how much patience I've expended trying to be made whole. 

Where is the loyalty to me? Where in that contract does ATT promise me satisfaction instead me making all the promises to them. Believe you me, I'll tell more than two friends and it will go on. I'm done defending ATT.

Seriously disenchanted

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Have you simply  tried a factory reset of the phone?  Most glitches/bugs experienced after an OTA firmware update are due to incompatiblilities with the existing user data.  Starting with a clean slate doing a factor reset will often clear up many of these bugs.  Keep in mind, that the term "factory reset" is a bit of a misnomer, it doesn't actually return the phone to factory condition.  You will still be on ICS, but it will format the user data partition.   Also bear in mind that this will wipe all user data (with exception of data on your removable SD card).  So backup any data that is important to you.

Also, it is not in AT&T's normal policy to let you switch devices (although they might do so under certain circumstances).  The One X and the Atrix HD would both be considerable upgrades to the Skyrocket.  So they fact that they are even offering those devices, is making an exception for you.

Additionally, it is true that downgrading firmware in Android (revert back to GB) is not normally allowed.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

The fact that ATT is going to offer you a One X for a Skyrocket is pretty amazing. The One X has been, and remains, one of the best phones on the market. I would stay away from the Atrix HD simply due to MotoBlur (personal preference). I would jump on the opportunity and accept a new device ASAP, as the offer might not remain extended to a long period.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Agree, the One X stomps all over the Skyrocket.  Many prefer it over the Samsung Galaxy S3, as the casing on the One X is just beautiful compared to anything Sammy has, and the screen on the One X has been called by many people the best on ANY smartphone.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, I've "simply" tried factory reset on each phone two of them more than once. Each time losing information because Kies doesn't back up worth a caonversation. Fortunately, I have begun a folder where I just save everything in a folder from the media, sim & internal storage.

I would love for you to point out what makes those two phones better because all the research I've done leads me to believe that neither are as good as this one i.e. cnet, customer reviews from cnet, cellphonescoop, amazon.com, bestbuy, ...

I chose the phone I wanted and I didn't want the updates, especially after the first update I would not ever have done the second one but I was not given a choice. Just as there are apps in my phone I cannot get rid of.

Why do I feel like I have to defend myself here?! Did I miss something? After 10 years, I should be offered SOMETHING?! DON'T YOU THINK?! Are you telling me I should be satisfied and shut up?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

My daughter has an HTC Inspire and I cannot make head nor tails of that phone. If I wanted a One X I could have gotten it instead of the Skyrocket which were both an option at the time. I made a smooth transition to the Skyrocket from the iPhone, I'm not really interested in learning a new phone. The internal battery is not something I'm comfortable with nor do I care for the fact that I cannot add storage and once I take that phone if I am not happy I'm stuck with it.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Okay so my Skyrocket froze in overlapping screens last night one too many times last night while I was in serious pain and couldn't call my daughter. I had to wait for the phone to unfreeze long enough to allow me to restart it and it seemed to take it forever! I couldn't believe it! So the last thing I did before I fell asleep once the meds quicked in was call Warranty and accept the HTC One X. 

NOW, I'm reading other message boards about the phone and wondering what's up with the questions about 'jelly bean', GSM, delay in updates? 

This isn't 4G? Does it run different firmware than other droid phones? Is it a droid? All sorts of doubts now. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

I dont think you will have a problem "learning a new phone." Its still an Android powered device with the only difference being the manufacturers skin. I never was a big fan of HTCs skin, Sense, up until V4 which will be on the One X.

The term "droid phone" is what people used to call any Android device because it was the first phone that the mainstream really took hold of. (Motorola Droid from Verizon) So your phone is an Android phone, not droid phone.

The One X is a LTE 4G device.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@iDrummer3 wrote:
I dont think you will have a problem "learning a new phone." Its still an Android powered device with the only difference being the manufacturers skin. I never was a big fan of HTCs skin, Sense, up until V4 which will be on the One X.

Agreed, once you learn one Android phone, there is little learning curve to switching to another.  There are some added widgets, and HTC rearranges some of the menus VERY slightly.  But learning curve is nothing like going from iOS to Android.  Plus, many people (myself  included) actually prefer the features of the  HTC skinning over those offered by other Android manufacturers.

Whoever says the Skyrocket is better than the One X is smoking crack.  Skyrocket is 2011 technology, One X is 2012, and it ran circles around every other Android device on the market at the time, including the Skyrocket.  The One X actually DOUBLED the score in multiple benchmarks over all the existing competition, including the Galaxy S2 series:  http://m.androidcentral.com/htc-one-x-snapdragon-s4-benchmarked

The One X is so fast and smooth compared to any previous phone, and its just a joy to use.  In addition to raw performance, the One X has a gorgeous screen that many reputable review sites have called the best display on ANY smartphone.  The exterior casing on the One X also has to be seen to be appreciated.  The unique polycarbonate body simply looks and feels a level better than the crappy plastic casings on Samsung phones.

Unless you are the type that actually swaps out batteries to get through the day (and my One X will last 2 days with light usage, easily through a full day), the non-removable battery on the One X is a non-issue  For those that like to resort to a battery pull to soft reset the phone (which should only be done as a last resort, anyway), the same is accomplished on the One X by holding down the power button for about 5 seconds until the phone restarts.  This is hardwired into the device, and will work in all instances a battery pull would.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@valerie1766 wrote:
So the last thing I did before I fell asleep once the meds quicked in was call Warranty and accept the HTC One X. 

NOW, I'm reading other message boards about the phone and wondering what's up with the questions about 'jelly bean', GSM, delay in updates? 

This isn't 4G? Does it run different firmware than other droid phones? Is it a droid? All sorts of doubts now. 

All AT&T phones work on the GSM network, so I'm not sure what you are reading about this, and its probably not relavent. 

The One X has LTE 4G (broadband data network speeds) just like the Skyrocket, so again, I'm not sure what you are reading about this, and I think you are just misunderstanding.

Jelly Bean is just the next build of Android.  A build is like going from Windows 7 to Windows 8.  The builds are code named alphabetically as words for desserts:

F = Frozen Yogurt

G = Gingerbread

H = Honeycomb

I = Ice Cream Sandwich

J = Jelly Bean

And so forth.  As a new build comes out, it takes the next alphabet letter/dessert name

The Skyrocket was only recently updated to Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS).  The One X shipped with ICS when it was released in May.  Now folks are waiting for the newest version of Android, Jelly Bean (JB) for the One X.  Its really only a concern for those that want the absolute latest and greatest firmware, and if you are a casual user, its not a big concern. The folks complaining are being slightly impatient, as no firm date for JB was ever given in the first place.  And even with the "delay" it still makes the One X more up-to-date then the Skyrocket, as the Skyrocket will likely never even get JB.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, I couldn't take the glitches and went back to it again. This is the last time, I'm sticking with the HTC and pray that a good case will help with the ease of use when it comes to handling which was the first thing that bothered me. 

After that the keyboard is the opposite of the Skyrocket and doesn't have the shortcuts. With the Skyrockets I got some extras most don't even know are there when you go into the sub keyboards and hold the "*" you get a cross and two other options; or in the next menu the secondary menu for symbols if you hold another one I got music notes, another one I got a heart, club, spade & diamond.  I had a choice of 3 different keyboards, moving through screens rolled around not in one direction, finding things were much more simple and I don't understand why I have to have options between HTC Sense and direct access to whatever it is I'm using at the time. What's the diff?

Also, call barring? Why can't I type in "unknown" or isn't the option there to check a box to include it in barring? Or why doesn't it give me to copy a number or block it directly from the call log? 

And who the devil puts the screen lock on the front tilt of the screen where you have to squeeze the volume button to grasp the phone to reach and apply enough pressure to make it work. It feels like the phone is geared to an ambidexterious or left-handed person. Especially as the length of the phone does not lend to easily reach the top right corner and it's not exactly obvious that it is there. You have no option to move it or set up the screen in a way that is more comfortable for you. Again, everything is in this one corner of the phone, why? 

Yes, it would seem Android is supposed to be all the same however I see each manufacturer works very hard to do something to put their own spin on it. In their phone they want to try and do something different and it's really ridiculous. But, as many of you say, I will figure it out because I WILL not be buying a new phone any time soon. When I do it will not be with a contract and not with ATT. I'm sticking to my guns this time, I spend over $200 a month on my bill and have had up to 5 lines at over $400 month for several years of the 10 I've been with them. These big carriers just don't care anymore about the little guys ...

I appreciate the input ... I still want a Samsung, I understand the tech, know how to use it and am no longer interested being the first in line for the latest and greatest. I do, however, want what I pay for and when I chose my Skyrocket the HTC One X was right next to it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.