Posted Nov 15, 2013
8:59:35 AM
Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

177 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(177)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 4:55:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

My download started, but then it stopped.  When I go to check for update, I get told I can't for another 13 hours.

Is there anywhere on the phone that I can start the update again?

My download started, but then it stopped.  When I go to check for update, I get told I can't for another 13 hours.

Is there anywhere on the phone that I can start the update again?

Re: Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

31 of 178 (10,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 7:28:57 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Tailgunner747 on Nov 21, 2013 at 7:29:43 PM

Yes NJR I got my Update today also. Was shocked.  I know it was pulled for S4 and guess you are correct on i9300 S3.  Mine seems to be running fine.  Just had to unroot and go back to stock before I could install. The settings are a lot different on 4.3.  Have a nice weekend.

Yes NJR I got my Update today also. Was shocked.  I know it was pulled for S4 and guess you are correct on i9300 S3.  Mine seems to be running fine.  Just had to unroot and go back to stock before I could install. The settings are a lot different on 4.3.  Have a nice weekend.

[ Edited ]
32 of 178 (10,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 8:20:01 PM
(0)
Explorer
You can go to your settings for the clock and set it one day forward. Make sure you unchecked your daylight savings time and your auto update time. It should work for you.
You can go to your settings for the clock and set it one day forward. Make sure you unchecked your daylight savings time and your auto update time. It should work for you.

33 of 178 (10,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 10:42:04 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hi everybody,

Had to pull an old phone out of storage since a new one got busted recently. I have my I747 which I updated via Kies to 4.1.1 a while back and am wondering if I need to upgrade to 4.1.2 first to get the 4.3 update. Been trying to update via Kies to 4.1.2. but it is telling me that my 4.1.1 I747 is up to date. When I try to check the OTA update I still don't get anything and it's telling me 4.1.1 is up to date.

Any ideas?

Hi everybody,

Had to pull an old phone out of storage since a new one got busted recently. I have my I747 which I updated via Kies to 4.1.1 a while back and am wondering if I need to upgrade to 4.1.2 first to get the 4.3 update. Been trying to update via Kies to 4.1.2. but it is telling me that my 4.1.1 I747 is up to date. When I try to check the OTA update I still don't get anything and it's telling me 4.1.1 is up to date.

Any ideas?

I747 Update to 4.3 from 4.1.1?

34 of 178 (10,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 3:59:37 AM
(0)
Tutor
That didn't work. I get a message that it's downloading the update, and then it just stops.
That didn't work. I get a message that it's downloading the update, and then it just stops.

35 of 178 (10,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 5:32:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

I am Stil in SHOCK that AT&T got this update out ahead of others for S3.  AT&T is almost always LAST.  Now lets see if they are last with Kit Kat.

I am Stil in SHOCK that AT&T got this update out ahead of others for S3.  AT&T is almost always LAST.  Now lets see if they are last with Kit Kat.

36 of 178 (10,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 7:03:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

My phone finally updated.  Woo hoo!  I can stop being a spazz about it.

My phone finally updated.  Woo hoo!  I can stop being a spazz about it.

37 of 178 (10,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 9:50:28 AM
(0)
Voyager

The 4.3 update has been reportedly delayed due to some issues.

I'm waiting on the 4.3 for my Note II as well, but same problem, seems to be delayed.

The 4.3 update has been reportedly delayed due to some issues.

I'm waiting on the 4.3 for my Note II as well, but same problem, seems to be delayed.

Re: I747 Update to 4.3 from 4.1.1?

38 of 178 (10,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 12:33:19 PM
(0)
Mentor
Mine just updated to 4.3, and it cleared all my ringtones and text/email sounds, even in apps like k9 mail. otherwise it seems to work fine. I like the customizable menu in the top pull down, since I can put useful buttons like sync in the first five now. Swype update finally has a decimal point on the number buttons page. more junk apps came with the update that I'll just remove, as expected.
Mine just updated to 4.3, and it cleared all my ringtones and text/email sounds, even in apps like k9 mail. otherwise it seems to work fine. I like the customizable menu in the top pull down, since I can put useful buttons like sync in the first five now. Swype update finally has a decimal point on the number buttons page. more junk apps came with the update that I'll just remove, as expected.

39 of 178 (10,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 1:18:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

How you going to remove bloat ware without it being rooted??   XDA says not safe to root yet as normal since it has KNOX.

How you going to remove bloat ware without it being rooted??   XDA says not safe to root yet as normal since it has KNOX.

40 of 178 (10,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 2:32:12 PM
(0)
Mentor
xda will have a way.... just give our time... I haven't looked yet, but I own my phone and I'll root it and remove junk. the funny thing is AT&T is going to delete our posts as if they're going to somehow stop people from finding about about rooting. pathetic.
xda will have a way.... just give our time... I haven't looked yet, but I own my phone and I'll root it and remove junk. the funny thing is AT&T is going to delete our posts as if they're going to somehow stop people from finding about about rooting. pathetic.

41 of 178 (10,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 3:07:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've had the update for a couple days.  It's still running great but i'm running into a couple issues.  First there's about a 1 to 2 second lag on the lockscreen after wakeup.  Second, theres about a 2 to 3 second lag when you access the gallery.  One thing i'm very disappointed after the update is that I can no longer find the gyroscope callibrator.  It was present in 4.0.4, 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 and it was a very useful tool to have and it would be nice to have it back. The mobile data toggle would've also been nice.  One minor suggestion to Samsung, they should have updated the launcher and weather widget.  The S3 mini with 4.2.2 preinstalled has them but not the S3 which is a tiny bit disappointing but not a deal breaker. Overall, its a nice update but there are a couple things need to be fixed or added.

I've had the update for a couple days.  It's still running great but i'm running into a couple issues.  First there's about a 1 to 2 second lag on the lockscreen after wakeup.  Second, theres about a 2 to 3 second lag when you access the gallery.  One thing i'm very disappointed after the update is that I can no longer find the gyroscope callibrator.  It was present in 4.0.4, 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 and it was a very useful tool to have and it would be nice to have it back. The mobile data toggle would've also been nice.  One minor suggestion to Samsung, they should have updated the launcher and weather widget.  The S3 mini with 4.2.2 preinstalled has them but not the S3 which is a tiny bit disappointing but not a deal breaker. Overall, its a nice update but there are a couple things need to be fixed or added.

42 of 178 (10,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 3:31:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

Got the update this morning. So far not impressed.

1) Texting has crashed my phone about 10 times today. I think it might be the Samsung Keyboard so I'm going to download the google one and try it out later.

2) Sluggishness. Wile some things seem to respond quicker, like opening/closing applications, other seem less responsive, like navigating within those applications, navigating the app drawer, etc. Apps do seem to crash less though.

3) More features removed than added. Unable to disable Samsung Apps, unable to hide applications.

Got the update this morning. So far not impressed.

1) Texting has crashed my phone about 10 times today. I think it might be the Samsung Keyboard so I'm going to download the google one and try it out later.

2) Sluggishness. Wile some things seem to respond quicker, like opening/closing applications, other seem less responsive, like navigating within those applications, navigating the app drawer, etc. Apps do seem to crash less though.

3) More features removed than added. Unable to disable Samsung Apps, unable to hide applications.

43 of 178 (10,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 3:35:29 PM
(0)
Mentor
don't use the stupid Samsung keyboard.. Swype comes for free as of I think 4.1.1 and it's way better. drawing lines to make words actually works and gets the right word unlike in the Samsung one.
I never have anything crash for me on any update so far...and the only big removal was the mobile data toggle which was removed like three updates ago.
don't use the stupid Samsung keyboard.. Swype comes for free as of I think 4.1.1 and it's way better. drawing lines to make words actually works and gets the right word unlike in the Samsung one.
I never have anything crash for me on any update so far...and the only big removal was the mobile data toggle which was removed like three updates ago.

44 of 178 (10,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2013 11:39:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
You can likely update from 4.1.1 to 4.3 since AT&T device update page says "The size of the update file is 623 MB - 659 MB (Dependent on current OS version)".

Good-luck updating your s3 cuz I have the same issue. I'm stuck at 4.1.1 and I've been trying to update it to 4.1.2 for a month now with no luck. Did the forward date/time trick that went to 3 months worth of changes and factory reset and still no success. I finally called AT&T and they tried to "push" the update to my device, but no success. The AT&T rep finally said that I should call Samsung. Called them and the rep said tell AT&T to "push" the update to my device, lol. I told them that I just talked to AT&T about it and they said they couldn't do anything. Finally I went to AT&T to tell them to update my device and the AT&T rep said that Samsung handles all the update and I should talk to them instead. Rep said that it is similar to Apple releasing iOS7 simultaneously regardless to the carrier and he said that "roll-outs" are dependent to kernel numbers also. Aah yes merry-go-around...though I will likely go to Samsung if I don't get any 4.3 update for the next few days.
You can likely update from 4.1.1 to 4.3 since AT&T device update page says "The size of the update file is 623 MB - 659 MB (Dependent on current OS version)".

Good-luck updating your s3 cuz I have the same issue. I'm stuck at 4.1.1 and I've been trying to update it to 4.1.2 for a month now with no luck. Did the forward date/time trick that went to 3 months worth of changes and factory reset and still no success. I finally called AT&T and they tried to "push" the update to my device, but no success. The AT&T rep finally said that I should call Samsung. Called them and the rep said tell AT&T to "push" the update to my device, lol. I told them that I just talked to AT&T about it and they said they couldn't do anything. Finally I went to AT&T to tell them to update my device and the AT&T rep said that Samsung handles all the update and I should talk to them instead. Rep said that it is similar to Apple releasing iOS7 simultaneously regardless to the carrier and he said that "roll-outs" are dependent to kernel numbers also. Aah yes merry-go-around...though I will likely go to Samsung if I don't get any 4.3 update for the next few days.

45 of 178 (10,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 7:32:25 AM
(0)
Explorer

The updated is out turn on your wifi and check for update. I have had it for a couple days now. Make surw your battery is charged. The update is 623.10MB. If it loses the server set your date a day ahead. Good luck and enjoy.

The updated is out turn on your wifi and check for update. I have had it for a couple days now. Make surw your battery is charged. The update is 623.10MB. If it loses the server set your date a day ahead. Good luck and enjoy.

46 of 178 (10,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 9:12:53 AM
(0)
Teacher
Knew that. I set the clock a day ahead so many times that I actually reach mid-january 2014, which is about 40+ trials to reach the server. Yet no update...still popping at 4.1.1 lol
Knew that. I set the clock a day ahead so many times that I actually reach mid-january 2014, which is about 40+ trials to reach the server. Yet no update...still popping at 4.1.1 lol

47 of 178 (10,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 6:47:43 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by BoricuaSC on Nov 23, 2013 at 6:49:06 PM

Updated the first day it was available.  I concur with the people who are noting the slugglish response - not huge, but noticeable.  But I have another problem that's really bugging me.  I have a constant slew of picture download notifications (see attched screenshot) that just won't go away.  I wipe them off the notifications bar, and they come right back.  Anybody else having this issue?  Anybody know how to fix this?

Download Notifications that will NOT go away

Updated the first day it was available.  I concur with the people who are noting the slugglish response - not huge, but noticeable.  But I have another problem that's really bugging me.  I have a constant slew of picture download notifications (see attched screenshot) that just won't go away.  I wipe them off the notifications bar, and they come right back.  Anybody else having this issue?  Anybody know how to fix this?

Download Notifications that will NOT go away

[ Edited ]
48 of 178 (10,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 9:33:48 AM
(0)
Teacher
anyone flash keep going off when receiving a call?
anyone flash keep going off when receiving a call?

49 of 178 (9,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 11:39:28 AM
(0)
Teacher
Had this as well. Go to your app drawer and select the downloads icon. Clear both lists and this stopped for me.
Had this as well. Go to your app drawer and select the downloads icon. Clear both lists and this stopped for me.

50 of 178 (9,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 11:42:40 AM
(0)
Teacher
For the flags for calls, while this setting is off by default, it seems to be on anyway. Go to settings> my device > accessibility. Toward the bottom is "flash notification". Tick this on then off again and reboot the phone.
For the flags for calls, while this setting is off by default, it seems to be on anyway. Go to settings> my device > accessibility. Toward the bottom is "flash notification". Tick this on then off again and reboot the phone.

51 of 178 (9,975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 3:52:10 PM
(0)
Mentor
I had the same issues, those files are ones you'd downloaded which were attached to an e-mail. Every time your phone checks gmail it tries to redownload those files. To stop it go to downloads/other downloads and delete those files. The repeated download will stop then.
I had the same issues, those files are ones you'd downloaded which were attached to an e-mail. Every time your phone checks gmail it tries to redownload those files. To stop it go to downloads/other downloads and delete those files. The repeated download will stop then.

52 of 178 (9,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 5:44:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just got a pop-up tonight to try City ID for 10-day trial.  Did the 4.3 update installs this garbage without asking me?

I also noticed other "new" programs after the 4.3 upgrade.  Why wasn't I asked first?

Since I cannot remove these unwanted programs, is stopping all I can do to turn them off?

Are any of these needed for 4.3 to run:

City ID

Ant Radio Services

BlurbCheckout

DioDictService

Lookout Security

Trip Adivsor

Mobeam

Google Photos

If I wanted these I would have installed them myself.

Summest.

I just got a pop-up tonight to try City ID for 10-day trial.  Did the 4.3 update installs this garbage without asking me?

I also noticed other "new" programs after the 4.3 upgrade.  Why wasn't I asked first?

Since I cannot remove these unwanted programs, is stopping all I can do to turn them off?

Are any of these needed for 4.3 to run:

City ID

Ant Radio Services

BlurbCheckout

DioDictService

Lookout Security

Trip Adivsor

Mobeam

Google Photos

If I wanted these I would have installed them myself.

Summest.

Galaxy S4 4.3 update loaded unrequested software on my phone

53 of 178 (9,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 9:17:06 PM
(0)
Voyager

Some of these were part of the 4.3 that came with the Note 3. Some might have been added by AT&T.

The Ant Radio Service was probably added by Samsung as that's a framework for talking to other devices that use that protocol. Lots of "health" devices especially running use the Ant framework.

I believe TripAdvisor was some partnership with Samsung so part of the update.

LookOut is a samsung thing as well.

Google Photos I think is part of the google apps that come with android, like gmail and hangouts.

Don't know about the others though.

Some of these were part of the 4.3 that came with the Note 3. Some might have been added by AT&T.

The Ant Radio Service was probably added by Samsung as that's a framework for talking to other devices that use that protocol. Lots of "health" devices especially running use the Ant framework.

I believe TripAdvisor was some partnership with Samsung so part of the update.

LookOut is a samsung thing as well.

Google Photos I think is part of the google apps that come with android, like gmail and hangouts.

Don't know about the others though.

Re: Galaxy S4 4.3 update loaded unrequested software on my phone

54 of 178 (9,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 4:51:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
has anybody else tried to use this phone in the car dock after the update. It no longer will automatically open any car dock software like car dashboard or the eye bolt dashboard. It just goes into driving mode which does nothing.
has anybody else tried to use this phone in the car dock after the update. It no longer will automatically open any car dock software like car dashboard or the eye bolt dashboard. It just goes into driving mode which does nothing.

55 of 178 (9,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 6:20:48 AM
(0)
Scholar
contacted online chat with Samsung. Had a good rep. Procedures to make the phone seem normal go as follows do a soft reset, which is pulling the battery while the phone is on leaving office 30 seconds then restarting phone. Then toggle your mobile data on off which is under settings data. The phone should be fine it also seem to fix the battery drain
contacted online chat with Samsung. Had a good rep. Procedures to make the phone seem normal go as follows do a soft reset, which is pulling the battery while the phone is on leaving office 30 seconds then restarting phone. Then toggle your mobile data on off which is under settings data. The phone should be fine it also seem to fix the battery drain

56 of 178 (9,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 6:41:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Wondering if there is a root avalable yet.  I have one app i purchase and use all the time and it requires root.   

Wondering if there is a root avalable yet.  I have one app i purchase and use all the time and it requires root.   

57 of 178 (9,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 7:53:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just update my Android to version 4.3 provided by AT&T and I'm facing all kinds of problems, including reduced battery and big performance issue, the phone is very slow right now.

I just update my Android to version 4.3 provided by AT&T and I'm facing all kinds of problems, including reduced battery and big performance issue, the phone is very slow right now.

Android 4.3 update issues after upgrade on Galaxy S3

58 of 178 (9,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 8:08:46 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Taylarie on Nov 25, 2013 at 8:21:46 AM

Yep they Pulled it off. Would not let me Post root web site at XDA

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Yep they Pulled it off. Would not let me Post root web site at XDA

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
59 of 178 (9,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 8:10:02 AM
(0)
Scholar
Maybe they will let it stay here for a little while rgrace110.
Maybe they will let it stay here for a little while rgrace110.

60 of 178 (9,742 Views)