Posted Nov 15, 2013
8:59:35 AM
Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

So I am a little bothered that I havent seen this topic on the front page with how popular the S3 was/is. The AT&T support staff tells me to check with samsung. Is this something we should look forward to or will it be skipped? Since we no longer can upgrade after 18 months it would be nice to at least get the newest software on time.

177 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(177)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 2:28:15 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have not even seen this update and its almost few mouths later I called att and they don't know know what am talkimg about so theu told me too call samsung They said they can't do anything that att has to send me the update

Re: Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3

121 of 178 (17,861 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2014 11:02:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
You don't want it. Half baked update with more problems than fixes.

122 of 178 (17,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 11:35:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

Please forgive me if this has been posted but I didn't see this anywhere already.

Ever since I updated to 4.3 I have the problem where my phone uses LTE over the wifi signal.  The only way to use wifi is to go in and disable data which gets annoying.  Has this been seen or solved?  I've checked every kind of connection setting to no avail.

Thanks!

Galaxy S3 4.3 Wifi/LTE issues

123 of 178 (17,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 6:25:46 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi dyu89,

I have personally not heard of this issue with the S3 having connectivity issues after the 4.3 update. Have you tried all the basic trobleshooting steps (Reset the Phone, Pull the battery out and SIM card wait 30 seconds and re-insert)?

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to  ATTCustomerCare is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM(Blue envelope top right of screen) between the hours of 7am-10pm CST Monday - Friday, should hear back within 2 to 3 business days.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Galaxy S3 4.3 Wifi/LTE issues

124 of 178 (17,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 11:52:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

hello, i am using samsung att mobile sgh-i747 in pakistan, i am trying to udate the firmware but failed to do it, its current firmware is 4.1.1. please help me to solve this issue.

software update

125 of 178 (17,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 5:58:25 AM
(0)
Mentor
pretty sure I solved the battery life problem on my S3 with 4.3... just uncheck "Use wireless networks" at Settings, More, Location services. You can leave the other two checkboxes on. I rebooted after changing the setting and went from a dead phone at 3pm everyday to 60% battery left when I go to bed.

While I can't really guarantee this helps everybody, I did do it scientifically enough for myself, going back and forth every few days, changing only this setting, and was able to repeat bad and good battery life.

I also noticed now that my phone no longer gets burning hot after a little bit of use, so that Google IP location service thing must have really been running in circles.

I guess the downside is now GPS lookup is slower because it has to wait for actual GPS lock, so the weather widget takes a while to update ever hour.

126 of 178 (17,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 7:20:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

Also, doesn't this mean that you're using your data plan for everything? AT&T's data plans are limited (unless you're grandfathered-in with an unlimited plan). Have you checked your data usage during this time?

127 of 178 (17,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 7:33:50 AM
(0)
Employee

Hi malikifran,

You would have to attempt to update your device though Samsumg Kies is going to be the only way. The AT&T Software Updater will not work unless you are on AT&T's network in the United States, USVI or puerto rico. 

Hope This helps

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: software update

128 of 178 (17,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 8:55:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
Galaxy S3 issues. I have two major updates since getting this device. The first one all but killed the swype keyboard, it would take nesrly 5 seconds for the keyboard to appear when trying to text or put in web address. The next update fixed that issue but caused many more. My battery life is horrible, I lose nearly 30% in the first hour from making maybe two texts and one five min call. The phone is sluggish in nearly every task I use it for. Now the web browser will randomly stop loading pages, showing that the connectivity was lost. It has happened on Wi-Fi and mobile network, I repeatedly try over and over to load the page and nothing happens. I end up having to go to application manager and clear all the data from my browser and then it works again, same thing happens on third party browsers as well. Also the phone can't keep up with my typing speed, im not super fast but it seems the processor cant keep up. It completely froze up yeasterday and I had to do a battery pull. I loved this phone for a long time, now it's crap. I wish I had the phone I bought without all these updates that were desgined to make the user experience better... I have had to factory data reset twice in the past two weeks. I never had a single problem for a long time, now all I have is problems. on a side note this pbone has been babied, never wet, never dropped etc. still looks brand new, but runs horribly. I knpw others are having issues, anyone else having these problems?

Plenty of issues with 4.3 on GS3, am I the only one with this issue?

129 of 178 (17,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2014 6:37:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

You're not the only one. People have had major issues with the buggy 4.3 update that AT&T pushed out on its subscribers. Here's a thread that I started on the battery issue:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Galaxy-S3-4-3-battery-drain/td-p/3847275#.Ut...

And, if someone tells you that a Factory Reset will fix it - it won't. 

Re: Plenty of issues with 4.3 on GS3, am I the only one with this issue?

130 of 178 (16,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 10:15:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

My apologies if this is a duplicate entry...

After a recent upgrade to 4.3 I notice that the (1) the video size on playback is really small and I can't zoom in and (2) the Smart Screen feature that keeps my phone 'awake' no longer registers that I'm actually looking at my screen (although I do see the little eye icon on the menu bar - it just never lights up like it did on the previous Android version).

Other than a factory reset are there any known fixes for these issues?

Thanks.

SG3 and Android 4.3 Update - video size and face detection broken?

131 of 178 (16,927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 8:41:17 PM
(0)
Voyager

My Galaxy siii has had os 4.1.1 since I got it around December 2012.  If I check for software update it not only says that it is up to date, but above that it says software uppate interrupted.  Also, when I go to check for update, there is a grayed out box that says continue update.  If I press it nothing happens.  Does anyone know if this means an update started at some point ( I never started one myself) and it got stuck?  AT&T chat has been little help, except to say that the update will show up soon.  Samsung said the same.  Neither seemed concerned that I still have 4.1.1 when at least one other update has been put out there before 4.3 .  If anyone can help please do.  I have 2 friends with Verizon who have the update.  :smileytongue:

132 of 178 (16,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2014 6:30:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having major issues.  I hate how the flash light comes on when you receive a call.  I can't figure out how to turn this off.  Then I have to walk around with a battery charger in my hand at all times, my apps don't work correctly.  My screen goes blank, like its asleep.  I will answer a call and the screen goes blank on me and sometimes I can't get it back up and I have to take the battery out.  It freezes on me and I have to take the battery out.  My case doesn't even pop back together real good anymore because of how many times I have to take it off to take my battery out!!!!  

Re: Plenty of issues with 4.3 on GS3, am I the only one with this issue?

133 of 178 (16,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 3:59:21 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pbm5362 on Jan 24, 2014 at 4:32:14 PM

I have been noticing that after the 4.3 update when I close out the stock web browser (using the back button, not the home key), it remains open in the background. Everytime I close out the web browser I have to go into application manager and end the task.  The stock web browser consumes up to 131 MB of ram when it remains open.  I never had this issue with 4.1.2.  Same thing with Google Play Music, and I never use it.  Is anyone else experiencing the same issue, have any fixes for this, or is this another thing to add to the long list of problems with this update?  From what I've heard in another forum post there is supposedly gonna be a bug fix coming at the end of the month or early February.  Hopefully it comes and that it isn't an AT&T employee blowing smoke. 

Re: Galaxy s3 android update to 4.3, stock web browser remains open in the background.

[ Edited ]
134 of 178 (15,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 8:47:08 AM
(0)
Teacher
After being on the phone with AT&T and Samsung, which they were playing the blame Game for over an hour 2 weeks ago on who's going to be blamed for the errors of the 4.3 update. The answer is BOTH!!!! Samsung rolled out the update , then each carrier finalizes it and makes it their own with alittle R & D from AT&T then off to consumers with a OTA update. First off, here is the Issues I am having: Auto Rotate of screen Freezes screen resulting in a reboot. Wifi unstable, massive battery drain, Bluetooth looses connection in car, apps unresponsive, browser hangs or stops all together. My Galaxy S3 was flawless before the update, now its a paper weight, unless I turn all features off. AT&T said they will fix my phone by doing a out of warranty repair for $199, or let me do an early upgrade. Nope. Sorry. Samsung wants me to send my phone to Texas and they said they will fix it but it may take 2 weeks. No loaner phone either. Nope sorry. I asked AT&T to send me a new or refurbished phone without the 4.3 update and they said NO. My phone is in mint condition. I am very meticulous about keeping it safe. AT&T will not take care of their legacy customers, so I decided to take care of myself. I will deduct and have already deducted what my cell phone monthly deal is off my family plan until AT&T sends me a new or refurbished phone or until the 4.3 error is resolved. CONSUMERS we have to stand up for ourselves and tell big companies that customer service does matter.

samsung GS3 4.3 update failure. Who's to Blame?

135 of 178 (15,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 3:30:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

nitrous93, I agree with you on all your points. Until I figure out what to do regarding my S3, I've been using a Moto G I bought from Motorola Online and have been very pleased. I may not switch back to my S3, even though it is vastly better with storage options and has better specs. That said, my Moto G gets reception where other devices struggle (even my S3), and the Moto G is running KitKat 4.4.2 with NO ISSUES at all. Plus the quad core processor is an older chipset that isn't power hungry which gives me better battery life than my S3 had with it's stock battery even before the 4.3 update messed it up. If AT&T doesn't fix the 4.3 S3 issue, I may root mine and go from there, which I really don't want to do.

Re: samsung GS3 4.3 update failure. Who's to Blame?

136 of 178 (14,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 5:50:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have samsung galaxy s3 sgh i747.

At present my andriod version is 4.1.1.Till now i didnt get any update to 4.3.what could be the reason .

Please help me.

Regards

Srikanth...

Hyderabad.

India

137 of 178 (14,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 3:07:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

DO NOT,,, I REPEAT DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.3. YOU WILL BE SORRY. Besides, AT&T pulled the update till a fix is released from Samsung.

138 of 178 (14,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 3:11:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

Rdechiara,

i have been on XDA developers Site for awhile, and No one so far can Root an AT&T SGH-i747 running the 4.3 OS because of the KNOX security Running in Background of Phone. EVERYONE GOOGLE THE KNOX SECURITY ON SAMSUNG DEVICES AND THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND. IT WAS WRITTEN BY THE NSA (Yep our Government) geez!!!

Re: samsung GS3 4.3 update failure. Who's to Blame?

139 of 178 (14,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 5:19:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
having the same problem. need a fix please. Suggestions below do not fix it

140 of 178 (13,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2014 5:30:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

I too am having same issue.  Sending Private Message to AT&T CustomerCare as suggested in this thread.  Hopefully will get good response.  If others having this issue please update this thread.

141 of 178 (13,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 11:07:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

hi...

i can not update my device samsung galaxy s3 (sgh-i747) .it is on andriod 4.1 , every time i try it says "software is upto date" .
i have no access to AT&T network as i am out of US.would anyone plz guide me to update phone manually..

thanks

can not upgrade samsung sgh-i747 to andriod 4.3

142 of 178 (13,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 1:28:59 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello everyone, I see some of the same questions and want to address one thing. As far as AT&T providing updates, we're not able to push updates to any phones outside of AT&T own network and without active service. As far as I know this update is only being delivered through AT&T at this time to AT&T branded devices.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Re: can not upgrade samsung sgh-i747 to andriod 4.3

143 of 178 (13,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 6:00:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

Consider yourself lucky. Everyone that I know, including me. wishes they didn't update to 4.3 because of all the problems our S3s are having afterwards. Main problems are excessive battery drain, wifi dropping, phantom downloads, etc. I was lucky and only had the battery drain issue. Look elsewhere in this board for posts regarding the issues caused.  Hopefully, 4.4 or a fix won't be far away.

Re: can not upgrade samsung sgh-i747 to andriod 4.3

144 of 178 (13,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 10:51:12 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hey guys, we're always looking for feedback and any information that might help us identify and resolve any potential issues. If you can, please send us a private message here with your phone number, IMEI, model and what issue you're experiencing after the update. We will definitely try to help you on the case by case bases and this information can help AT&T and Samsung figure out if there is a problem.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

145 of 178 (13,734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 2:33:54 PM
(0)
Contributor
how i can update it when i check for update he said to me is up to date and my android is 4.1 i am a samsung galaxy s3

146 of 178 (13,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 4:16:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
If you are on 4.1.2 consider yourself lucky. Everyone that has updated their S3 to 4.3 is having numerous issues, with excessive battery drain being the worst. If you can avoid it, DO NOT update to 4.3. Look at the S3 battery drain post thread elsewhere and see for yourself.

147 of 178 (13,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 7:12:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

Since the 4.3 update I've had the usual assortment of issues (battery life shorter, frequently runs hot, etc) but have also noticed that the flash now fires once or twice a day.  At first I thought that I was triggering it somehow, but then I saw it happen when the phone was laying on the table and I was several feet away.  I covered both the front and rear cameras in case the phone has been pwned, but I don't think so.  Why would an attacker draw attention by firing the flash, even when the phone was in pocket?  Far better to simply turn on the video and/or mic, yes?

148 of 178 (13,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 7:59:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

The 4.3 update cleared a bunch of ringtone/sound settings and turned on the flash for notifications like calls. You can easily go reset those settings in the menus.

The battery life issue was completely solved for me by unchecking "Use wireless networks" in Location Services and rebooting the phone. I went from a dead battery at 2pm to 60-75% left at night each day now from that one setting and it's been working for weeks since I changed it.

149 of 178 (13,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 8:57:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
Ark42, I did that as well along with disabling location services completely. I did see some improvement in battery life, but not anywhere near what it was on 4.1.2

150 of 178 (12,991 Views)