The Samsung Galaxy S24
99ssconv's profile

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

Sunday, January 6th, 2013 1:55 AM

Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

My wife and myself started having the phones shut off at random after the last update a couple of weeks ago. A few times it deletes our bluetooth added devices. Other times after the phone decides to shut it self off and I press and hold the side button to wake it  back up the device shows my battery is discharged. This will happen with a fully charged battery. Someone out there has to know about this issue besides the consumers. I went to the att store today with no help and samsung support was the same.....

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

My wife having same problem on her S2 after 4.0.4 update....she went by AT&T store and was told that Samsung pushes out all of the updates so it's not their problem...great service as usual from AT&T...

She was told by her corporate I.T. department to try to do a factory reset....I'm not sure that will solve the problem, but at this point she doesn't have many options.  When I took a look at her Settings>Battery usage it showed that her "Exchange Services" was using more battery than anything.  Typically the screen/display will be the primary battery user, so this tells me that the 4.0.4 update is not working right with her Exchange (Corporate) Email server.  I'm interested in what other user's battery usage is showing.  

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

As others on the forum have noted, the 4.0.4 update for the Samsung Galaxy S2 seems to be causing many (if not all) users major battery problems.  Restarts and locking up seem to be other symptoms as well.

I went in to the Settings>Battery on my wife's S2 and found that "Exchange Services" was the primary battery user on her phone...well over 70%.  This is typically not the case....usually the screen/display is the primary battery hog on all of these Android phones.  This tells me that in her case anyway, the 4.0.4 update is not working well with her Exchange (Corporate) Email Server.  I reset the cache in the Settings>Application settings for Exchange Services, but no help.  My wife didn't want me to clear the data yet on the Exchange Email app as that would require her to get reconnected on her Exchange Server, but that is next.  I'm considering doing a factory reset on her phone, but I'm not confident that will help.

I would be interested in seeing what others battery usage stats look like for those having these 4.0.4 update problems....maybe we can identify the culprit since AT&T and Samsung seem to be moving so slowly.

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I guess not

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I got my new S2 around Sep 2011.  Absolutely loved it.  I could customize, enjoyed the Live Wallpaper, found some apps I liked.  Could go a good 2-3 days between charges.  I'm not an overly heavy user.

Then came the update that Christmas from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6.  Like an id10t I updated without reading the forums for issues.  Battery life became almost non-existent because of a problem with the wi-fi.  Had to turn off wi-fi except when using.  Took off my live wallpaper.  Bought Juice Defender to help manage things.  I talked to both AT&T and Samsung.  Both disavowed any knowledge of a problem.  Although I know that people on another forum had talked to both companies as well and provided emaill and twitter addresses to direct our complaints.

Solution, ICS will solve all our problems.

So, here we are a year later with another update.  I made sure to check the forums, but didn't see anything.  Plus, I was getting that very annoying pop-up all the time to update the software.  Finally did.  Now my phone gets the Sleep of Death several times a day if I leave it idle and the battery life is even worse.  Can't even make it though a day without a recharge.  Less than that if I use my phone.  And when I say use my phone, it consisted of two 2-3 min phone calls and less than 5 texts.  By the time I got home from work I had to put it on the charger.  I can play Solitaire and watch the battery drain 1% every couple of minutes.

I really don't have the time or the energy to argue with AT&T and Samsung.  I love this phone, I really do.  But the updates have rendered it completely useless.  I know others have contacted both of these companies so they have to be aware of the issues.  So I'm with you, AT&T are you telling us you do not have a Moderator monitoring this forum?  If it wouldn't cost me so much to end my contract right now, I would look elsewhere....

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I agree 100%. As many people that have the same issue I can't believe AT&T or Samsung does not have a fix.  We shouldn't have to do our own troubleshooting.  I seriously want to root my phone but shouldn't have to do that to make it work right.  I switched from CrApple, never had a problem with my 3Gs other than it was just slow.  My wife has had a 4G and now a 5s with zero issues.  I hate all the limitations with apple but their stuff seems to work flawlessly most of the time.  And why have a user forum here is tech support never chimes in with solutions?  

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

@wademac wrote:

My wife having same problem on her S2 after 4.0.4 update....she went by AT&T store and was told that Samsung pushes out all of the updates so it's not their problem...great service as usual from AT&T...

She was told by her corporate I.T. department to try to do a factory reset....I'm not sure that will solve the problem, but at this point she doesn't have many options.  When I took a look at her Settings>Battery usage it showed that her "Exchange Services" was using more battery than anything.  Typically the screen/display will be the primary battery user, so this tells me that the 4.0.4 update is not working right with her Exchange (Corporate) Email server.  I'm interested in what other user's battery usage is showing.  

Did the factory reset help at all? Is her phone set to "push" new email? That can chew up batteries pretty quickly. 

I'll pass this thread on to the folks that need to see it but as of right now, I haven't seen anything about this issue (other than this post of course).

Thanks to you all for posting about the problems you're seeing. 

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I did the factory reset/restore on mine.  It did improve the battery life tremendously.  I didn't reistall any battery saving apps either and just use the phone's own battery saving features.  I can now go 16+ hours without a charge.  But I also disabled the AT&T apps, especially the Wifi stuff so I really think those are a lot of the battery drain culprits.  The random shutdowns have slowed down a lot.  Still testing a few things trying to pinpoint the culprit but from all the threads on here, no one had as many problems untils the 4.0.4 update.  

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the info. 

Please let us know (in the thread) if you start to see any wierdness again. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

WAY TO GO ATT&T !!!!

Refusing to fix this , yeah it was "maybe released  by Samsung" but it was approved by AT&T.

bunch of  if you ask me, enoug is enough.

fix this  or release 4.1.x

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

jamileh, what about the "sleep of death" issue. That is far more annoying and of a much bigger concern than the battery life issues. Missing calls and alarms is not acceptable. And all of these work around solutions people are posting without any word from AT&T is ridiculous. We need this to be fixed ASAP and we need to know that someone is working on it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.