Posted Jan 5, 2013
5:55:53 PM
Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

My wife and myself started having the phones shut off at random after the last update a couple of weeks ago. A few times it deletes our bluetooth added devices. Other times after the phone decides to shut it self off and I press and hold the side button to wake it  back up the device shows my battery is discharged. This will happen with a fully charged battery. Someone out there has to know about this issue besides the consumers. I went to the att store today with no help and samsung support was the same.....

Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

61 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(61)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 7, 2013 1:44:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

My wife having same problem on her S2 after 4.0.4 update....she went by AT&T store and was told that Samsung pushes out all of the updates so it's not their problem...great service as usual from AT&T...

She was told by her corporate I.T. department to try to do a factory reset....I'm not sure that will solve the problem, but at this point she doesn't have many options.  When I took a look at her Settings>Battery usage it showed that her "Exchange Services" was using more battery than anything.  Typically the screen/display will be the primary battery user, so this tells me that the 4.0.4 update is not working right with her Exchange (Corporate) Email server.  I'm interested in what other user's battery usage is showing.  

Re: Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

2 of 62 (6,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 7, 2013 1:53:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

As others on the forum have noted, the 4.0.4 update for the Samsung Galaxy S2 seems to be causing many (if not all) users major battery problems.  Restarts and locking up seem to be other symptoms as well.

I went in to the Settings>Battery on my wife's S2 and found that "Exchange Services" was the primary battery user on her phone...well over 70%.  This is typically not the case....usually the screen/display is the primary battery hog on all of these Android phones.  This tells me that in her case anyway, the 4.0.4 update is not working well with her Exchange (Corporate) Email Server.  I reset the cache in the Settings>Application settings for Exchange Services, but no help.  My wife didn't want me to clear the data yet on the Exchange Email app as that would require her to get reconnected on her Exchange Server, but that is next.  I'm considering doing a factory reset on her phone, but I'm not confident that will help.

I would be interested in seeing what others battery usage stats look like for those having these 4.0.4 update problems....maybe we can identify the culprit since AT&T and Samsung seem to be moving so slowly.

Samsung Galaxy S2 4.0.4 Update - What's Eating Up Your Battery?

3 of 62 (6,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 12, 2013 7:58:10 PM
(0)
Teacher
I guess not

Re: Galaxy s2 update 4.0.4 failure. Is there not an AT&T rep on this board that can help us?

4 of 62 (6,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 13, 2013 5:46:25 AM
(0)
Voyager

I got my new S2 around Sep 2011.  Absolutely loved it.  I could customize, enjoyed the Live Wallpaper, found some apps I liked.  Could go a good 2-3 days between charges.  I'm not an overly heavy user.

Then came the update that Christmas from 2.3.4 to 2.3.6.  Like an id10t I updated without reading the forums for issues.  Battery life became almost non-existent because of a problem with the wi-fi.  Had to turn off wi-fi except when using.  Took off my live wallpaper.  Bought Juice Defender to help manage things.  I talked to both AT&T and Samsung.  Both disavowed any knowledge of a problem.  Although I know that people on another forum had talked to both companies as well and provided emaill and twitter addresses to direct our complaints.

Solution, ICS will solve all our problems.

So, here we are a year later with another update.  I made sure to check the forums, but didn't see anything.  Plus, I was getting that very annoying pop-up all the time to update the software.  Finally did.  Now my phone gets the Sleep of Death several times a day if I leave it idle and the battery life is even worse.  Can't even make it though a day without a recharge.  Less than that if I use my phone.  And when I say use my phone, it consisted of two 2-3 min phone calls and less than 5 texts.  By the time I got home from work I had to put it on the charger.  I can play Solitaire and watch the battery drain 1% every couple of minutes.

I really don't have the time or the energy to argue with AT&T and Samsung.  I love this phone, I really do.  But the updates have rendered it completely useless.  I know others have contacted both of these companies so they have to be aware of the issues.  So I'm with you, AT&T are you telling us you do not have a Moderator monitoring this forum?  If it wouldn't cost me so much to end my contract right now, I would look elsewhere....

5 of 62 (6,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 7:54:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

I agree 100%. As many people that have the same issue I can't believe AT&T or Samsung does not have a fix.  We shouldn't have to do our own troubleshooting.  I seriously want to root my phone but shouldn't have to do that to make it work right.  I switched from CrApple, never had a problem with my 3Gs other than it was just slow.  My wife has had a 4G and now a 5s with zero issues.  I hate all the limitations with apple but their stuff seems to work flawlessly most of the time.  And why have a user forum here is tech support never chimes in with solutions?  

6 of 62 (6,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 8:01:23 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

wademac wrote:

My wife having same problem on her S2 after 4.0.4 update....she went by AT&T store and was told that Samsung pushes out all of the updates so it's not their problem...great service as usual from AT&T...

She was told by her corporate I.T. department to try to do a factory reset....I'm not sure that will solve the problem, but at this point she doesn't have many options.  When I took a look at her Settings>Battery usage it showed that her "Exchange Services" was using more battery than anything.  Typically the screen/display will be the primary battery user, so this tells me that the 4.0.4 update is not working right with her Exchange (Corporate) Email server.  I'm interested in what other user's battery usage is showing.  

Did the factory reset help at all? Is her phone set to "push" new email? That can chew up batteries pretty quickly. 

I'll pass this thread on to the folks that need to see it but as of right now, I haven't seen anything about this issue (other than this post of course).

Thanks to you all for posting about the problems you're seeing. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 62 (6,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 8:17:23 AM
(0)
Mentor

I did the factory reset/restore on mine.  It did improve the battery life tremendously.  I didn't reistall any battery saving apps either and just use the phone's own battery saving features.  I can now go 16+ hours without a charge.  But I also disabled the AT&T apps, especially the Wifi stuff so I really think those are a lot of the battery drain culprits.  The random shutdowns have slowed down a lot.  Still testing a few things trying to pinpoint the culprit but from all the threads on here, no one had as many problems untils the 4.0.4 update.  

8 of 62 (5,994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 8:32:34 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Thanks for the info. 

Please let us know (in the thread) if you start to see any wierdness again. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 62 (5,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 12:14:00 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jamileh on Jan 14, 2013 at 12:15:51 PM

WAY TO GO ATT&T !!!!

Refusing to fix this <nope>, yeah it was "maybe released  by Samsung" but it was approved by AT&T.

bunch of <nope> if you ask me, enoug is enough.

fix this <nope> or release 4.1.x

[ Edited ]
10 of 62 (5,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 12:15:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

jamileh, what about the "sleep of death" issue. That is far more annoying and of a much bigger concern than the battery life issues. Missing calls and alarms is not acceptable. And all of these work around solutions people are posting without any word from AT&T is ridiculous. We need this to be fixed ASAP and we need to know that someone is working on it.

11 of 62 (5,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 12:23:53 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'll have to look into that as well. 

I have a thread going on with one of the guys on the relevant team so I'll bring that up too. 

--------------

12 of 62 (5,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 1:22:44 PM
(0)
Guru

ablan59 wrote:

I agree 100%. As many people that have the same issue I can't believe AT&T or Samsung does not have a fix.  We shouldn't have to do our own troubleshooting.  I seriously want to root my phone but shouldn't have to do that to make it work right.  I switched from CrApple, never had a problem with my 3Gs other than it was just slow.  My wife has had a 4G and now a 5s with zero issues.  I hate all the limitations with apple but their stuff seems to work flawlessly most of the time.  And why have a user forum here is tech support never chimes in with solutions?  

Anyone at AT&T who blames issues with the I777 on Samsung is lying to you.  On a consistent and regular basis, AT&T's firmwares contain piles of problems not present in Samsung's I9100 releases, or contain a problem that Samsung fixed within weeks.

For example, the UCKK6 wifi power management issues existed in one or two Samsung builds from around the same time, like XWKK5.  However Samsung fixed the issues within weeks with XWKL2 for I9100 - but AT&T users didn't see an update until ICS was released in...  April?

General theme:  If AT&T blames something on Samsung, but the issue is not present in the GT-I9100, the person at AT&T blaming it on Samsung is lying.  Getting Samsung I9100 firmware to work on the I777 takes about 30 minutes at most.  Heck, for ICS I released packages that would do it automatically for you on XDA!

13 of 62 (5,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 1:28:01 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

jrpros wrote:

jamileh, what about the "sleep of death" issue. That is far more annoying and of a much bigger concern than the battery life issues. Missing calls and alarms is not acceptable. And all of these work around solutions people are posting without any word from AT&T is ridiculous. We need this to be fixed ASAP and we need to know that someone is working on it.

Just a heads up that we do have thread for this concern here: http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Galaxy-S2-shutting-off-in-idle-mode/td-p/324...

You're welcome to post your feedback/experience in that thread. I'll share it in my email. 

--------------

14 of 62 (5,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 1:42:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

jamileh,

No offense intended but there are over 100 Galaxy S 2 4.0.4 update complaints on here so perhaps someone from AT&T should check in more often?   I see from your posts that you are doing this on your own time so I thank you for that.  Your employer needs to step up to the plate and issue a new update or a fix for 4.0.4 as it is absolutely responsible for the dreaded sleep of death and horrific battery draining issues.  I have been late to work and missed any number of phone calls and messages due to this.  My wife's phone is just as bad or worse. 

We as users now have phones that do not work as advertised, are undependable and just not right.   AT&T needs to provide a fix or some sort of billing moratorium until such time they restore our confidence in these devices and AT&T's already poor customer service.   The company has been very good to me over a long period of time but these phones are depended on to function properly and right now they just are not trustworthy.  Heck, I've had to dig out my old wind up alarm clock just to get to work on time.

Again, thank you for any help you can provide all of us and tell your supervisors to monitor their own forums more than once a month.

Thanks,

15 of 62 (5,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 1:52:05 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

smenard415 wrote:

jamileh,

No offense intended but there are over 100 Galaxy S 2 4.0.4 update complaints on here so perhaps someone from AT&T should check in more often?   I see from your posts that you are doing this on your own time so I thank you for that.  Your employer needs to step up to the plate and issue a new update or a fix for 4.0.4 as it is absolutely responsible for the dreaded sleep of death and horrific battery draining issues.  I have been late to work and missed any number of phone calls and messages due to this.  My wife's phone is just as bad or worse. 

We as users now have phones that do not work as advertised, are undependable and just not right.   AT&T needs to provide a fix or some sort of billing moratorium until such time they restore our confidence in these devices and AT&T's already poor customer service.   The company has been very good to me over a long period of time but these phones are depended on to function properly and right now they just are not trustworthy.  Heck, I've had to dig out my old wind up alarm clock just to get to work on time.

Again, thank you for any help you can provide all of us and tell your supervisors to monitor their own forums more than once a month.

Thanks,

Hi there, 

The community is my sole focus, as I am the Community Manager for AT&T. I'm here every day, responding to questions and working with my team to get issues resolved. Here's some additional information for you: http://forums.att.com/t5/About-The-AT-T-Community/Getting-Started/td-p/3154245

I truly am sorry that you are having problems with this update and while I know it doesn't ease your frustration, we do take the feedback posted here very seriously. Your feedback, comments, and complaints are very valuable to me and to AT&T. We are reviewing what's been discussed here and on other threads. That doesn't mean though, that I can promise an update or a fix at a specific time. 

If you have not tried the suggestions in this thread or in others (like re-formatting, disabling apps and taking out the sim car), I encourage you to do so. Many people have reported much better performance after taking steps like that. 

~jam

--------------

16 of 62 (5,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 5:22:49 PM
(0)
Teacher
My phone is still shutting off since doing some of the things people recommended. Not as much but it never had a problem before the.4.0.4 update. The other day I just finished making a phone call, hung up and I always press the side button to turn the screen off. Less than one minute later a went to make another call and pressed the side button to turn on the screen. The screen flickered for a split second then the sleep of death occurred. I had to reboot the phone and the battery life was still about 80%. My wife told me her phone has been shutting off Alot again also. Don't think we are going to be renewing with ATT again.

17 of 62 (5,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2013 5:25:33 PM
(0)
Teacher
Why did it take you a week to reply to this thread?????????

18 of 62 (5,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2013 7:11:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

Factory reset did not help....

She is still having the high Exchange Server usage on the battery.....has lost Calendar sync all together....

I told her that if she would let me root her phone I could solve her problem, but her corporate policy will not allow, so as a result she has roughly 2 hour battery life and no Calendar sync after the 4.0.4 update for the Galaxy S2..

As far as "push" draining battery, it was not a problem previously....I have used push on my phones for corporate email for years and never had the battery drain she is experiencing....with all of the similar problems this is definitely a problem with the S2 4.0.4 update....

19 of 62 (5,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2013 7:34:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

Not having battery issues but still having random shut down issues. I have tried it with apps disabled and apps running.  Doesn't seem to matter that much.  Yesterday morning, had a phone call at 8am.  Immediatley after I hung up the phone was dead.  Restarted, it lasted till 10pm, then died again for no particular reason.  I don't think its apps causing the problem at all.  The kiss of death seems to be the 4.0.4 update.  Since there is no help I either have to live with it or try to get an early upgrade. 

20 of 62 (5,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2013 8:00:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

I am about to give up on 4.0.4.

The reliability of my phone is critical for my job!  If I miss a call at the wrong time, it will cause me and others big problems.

I've spoken to tech support twice, and done the following:

• Removed all but the most benign apps.  No improvement.
  • Factory reset. No improvement.
  • Disabled AT&T apps (I was the one who posted the suggestion a week ago).  Big improvement, but the phone is still not reliable.

I'm now seeing only the "sleep of death" issue.  The symptoms are: the phone sleeps with plenty of battery charge remaining.  When I try to wake it, no response.  When I try to restart it by holding the power button for 10 seconds, the battery charge icon shows a completely drained battery, and the phone won't start.  But if I plug a charge cable in, after a few seconds, the battery icon will show a significant charge and I can start the phone.

The "sleep of death" is happening up to twice a day, but usually once or not at all.  Still not good enough - woke up this morning and found the phone dead, and immediately was concerned I had missed a call from my job.

I've had the SGH-i777 (AT&T GSII) for more than a year, and love the device.  Unlike many, I'm not an AT&T basher.  I've had a wireless contract for 17 years, and have always been pleased.  But this is unacceptable, and the lack of any sense of urgency on the part of AT&T is disturbing.

Next option is root/ROM.  I have no desire to do this, as it is time-consuming and has its own problems.  But I have no other ideas, if AT&T doesn't step up their customer support.  And if I have to solve the problem on my own, I will have no interest in continuing my contract with AT&T.  Seems the trend is purchasing a phone outright and using an MVNO - so be it.

21 of 62 (5,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2013 3:33:37 AM
(0)
Teacher
Yesterday my phone shut down twice. I was on a call, the other party hung up. I pressed the screen but nothing came up. Pressed the side button and realized the sleep of death had occurred. Had to do a reboot, told my wife about it, she said her phone did the exact same thing after talking to her brother the other day.

I did get some news in a email this morning from att. They said my bill is ready!!!!!

22 of 62 (5,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2013 5:54:48 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by raiu on Jan 16, 2013 at 6:03:13 AM

So I called yesterday and was told the update that I was forced to download and install and that is also now causing my phone to shut down randomly was ment for the s3. I was then told that my phone was out of warrenty and that i could renew my contract and get the same phone as a curtisy, or pay 199 deductable to get a replacement. All this due to an error by AT&T. I dont understand why they would not allow me to chage phones. My upgrade is due in march why they couldnt just let me do an early upgrade to another phone i dont know. But to get stuck with the same phone for another 2 years is **.

I am going to just pay the early term fee and get out of Att its cheeper than the deductable... I am tired of the poor customer service and the disrespect towards their customers.

[ Edited ]
23 of 62 (5,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2013 3:11:30 PM
(0)
Explorer

I have had the same random shutdown issue here after the update. I may be okay now but I am still waiting. I only use it for voice calls and some texting, not for games, music, etc. Here's what I did so far:

1. Took it back to AT&T and they did the reset and replaced my info.

2. Did the Uninstall Updates & Disable on all the AT&T applications.

3. I only have one app - used to display battery life.

4. Turned off the percentage info in the top bar.

Phone still shut down twice. Both times it happened after ending a phone call using my earpiece. My bluetooth earpiece is maybe 5 years old. Thinking this might be the issue I turned off the bluetooth feature (already had WI-FI turned off). My phone ran for 4 days without a shutdown and still showed 19% power remaining! I plugged the charger in and let it get back to 100% then unplugged the charger and did a restart. The phone has continued to be fine since then (9 hours) and is showing 94% power remaining.

I plan on letting it be until the battery is low again and then enabling the bluetooth function to see what happens. I am optimistic!

24 of 62 (5,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2013 3:50:22 PM
(0)
Teacher
P.Ohas been shutting down two times a day

25 of 62 (5,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2013 11:08:05 AM
(0)
Explorer
Spoke too soon. Phone died twice today for no reason. AT&T offered to send a refurbished phone to me with 4.0.3. How does that not say there is a problem?!?

26 of 62 (5,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2013 3:17:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well mine made it from 8am yesterday till 5pm today without the sleep of death. Thought I might have been on to another solution but I totally give up.  Going to consider rooting I guess.  Seems to be the only fix if I want to keep this phone without upgrading.  My qestion to AT&T & Samsung would be, why would I even consider upgrading to an S3 if they have the S2 broken and unfixable??  What assurance would I have that the next software update would not be the same way on the S3?  

27 of 62 (5,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

28 of 62 (5,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2013 6:33:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

After trying all of the so called solutions that didn't work and continuing to have the sleep of death issue, I think I might have found the problem. I am no tech genious or anything so this is only my attempt to figure it out. I haven't had an issue with the phone not waking for about a day and a half. I think the problem is with Google Play and automatic updates of applications. I was noticing that every time I reset my phone after the sleep of death, an update would begin downloading for some app. So, I turned off automatic updates in Google Play settings. I haven't had an issue since.

I also turned on notifications for when updates are available. That way I still know when an update is available. Additionally, my battery life rocked yesterday after making this change.

Give it a shot and let us know if this works for you as well.

29 of 62 (5,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2013 7:00:19 AM
(0)
Mentor

I hope that works for you but I have always had mine to not automatically update.  I did notice when it would start back up after sleep of death that sometimes I would have updates available.  

I have since flashed my Rom back to 4.0.3 and at almost 48 hours in have had zero shut downs.  This is the longest I have gone since the 4.0.4 update.  Continuing to monitor.  

30 of 62 (5,357 Views)