The Samsung Galaxy S24
ECERRL's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Friday, May 17th, 2013 2:38 PM

Galaxy SIII Petition to remove early termination fee

I firmly believe those of us unfortunate enough to have been contracted into two years with ATT's variant of the Galaxy SIII should be entitled to a free early termination. I am starting this thread to see how many supporters we can get. It is unprofessional, unreliable, and just plain unsafe of ATT.

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

You have 3 days till my account is cancelled att.. your move

Guidelines>

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

ECERRL, if you wish to cancel your account, you may call into Customer care who will try to help address your concerns or terminate if you so wish to do so

@s.m knipe - I truly understand where you are coming from with this, and yes maybe all carriers have released it. The way the U.S carriers work and international carriers work are different. The international carriers get the generic update from the manufacturer, with no carrier testing and if something goes wrong, the manufacturer would be responsible to fix it.

In the U.S as you are aware, the carriers must first test the software before they release it because they assume responsibility if something goes wrong, not the manufacturer. I agree that if the update isn't too bad, it should be released, with minor fixes along the way, that's the way it works internationally, but sadly it does not. This is something Google is trying to curb but have been unable to do so. They made carriers pledge to release updates AT LEAST 18 months after its release, but so far it's been unsuccessful and they are looking into other ways.

Oh and I'm not an att representative folks, so I don't have an industry or a network or whatever 😛

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

11 years ago

@Evandela  - Sorry, I actually did think you worked for AT&T, so sorry about that!   you are correct in that Google is trying to correct this, but I think bigger guns than Google will soon be getting involved over this issue. The FCC is currently re-writing their Online Safety Initiative under Consumer Safety, and the rumor is there is a good deal more about smartphones and malware now that smartphones have penetrated a significant part of the internet usage market.

thanks again for the clarification

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

It's ok ^_^ As long as we got that little mishap out of the way! 🙂

I'm all for more security, whether AT&T fixes it, or Google, or the FCC since it is true that smartphone data traffic has increased tremendously. All we can do is wait for now and go by what we have at the moment.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@ECERRL wrote:
The tmobile firmware update has also been ported over to the att variant of the sIII.. why does THEIR software work on YOUR device that supposedly "needs to be tested"

If only I could give 100 kudos to this post! Unfortunately, AT&T has a habit of dragging their feet when it comes to Android updates. The HTC One X just got the 4.1.1 update in the beginning of March. Although AT&T apologists will state that "AT&T must test the firmware extensively...", this is clearly a case where lack of urgency is the culprit. Every major (as well as a few minor) carrier in the U.S. has rolled out the update. Obviously, it works just fine with their networks. I do not buy the "testing" excuse.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@Evandela wrote:

In the U.S as you are aware, the carriers must first test the software before they release it because they assume responsibility if something goes wrong, not the manufacturer.

Perhaps it's high time that carriers stopped meddling in the update process (read as: infesting updates with bloatware) and allowed the manufacturers to do what they should be doing in the first place? Clearly, the carriers do not control the update process for the benefit of the consumer. They control it for their own benefit only. I've been very public on this forum, as well as several others, that my Galaxy S3 is the last carrier variant phone I ever purchase. As such, I have absolutely no reason to renew my contract with AT&T. Am I going to leave? Maybe, maybe not. However, I certainly won't be tied to them. There is no excuse for dropping the ball on a flagship device.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

Just how long are you people going to complain about AT&T's proven track record of not releasing updates in a timely manner? Fact of the matter is, you can expect similar delays with most, if not all other carriers, and even if some random update for some random device has been pushed to everyone but us, is it really any surprise? You know what the definition of insanity is, right?

You want updates straight from Google's mouth? Get a Nexus.

You want it NOW NOW NOW? Root your device and flash it yourself. Samsung was even kind enough to make ODIN available to the public.

You're tired of being tied down by a contract? There's plenty of pay-as-you-go options out there.

Crying about matters whilst doing absolutely nothing to remedy your situation should never be an option.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@jii:

There's a distinct difference between complaining and venting one's frustrations. Personally, I'm not expecting AT&T to change their ways just because of a few posts on their forum. On June 26, I'll be placing an order for the Samsung GS4 Google Edition and saying goodbye to carrier variants. Full access to AT&T's LTE, direct from Google updates and not having to sign another contract - how can anyone complain about that? 🙂

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

11 years ago

Paying customers have every right to vent about bad service, especially when the competitor offers the exact same phone but better support for it. No, you shouldn't have to root your phone nor have it loaded with stuff you'll never use. Apple doesn't do it that way and they aren't the whole market. Most ROM's either have bugs or cut out major features altogether so frankly that's a poor solution to the problem. The problem is AT&T not providing adequate product support and it ends there. They need to remedy it, it's not the consumer's place to do their job.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Amen to that. With my last device, I had to unlock the bootloader, root, and flash a custom rom just so I could get it updated and remove all the bull they had preloaded on it. Now, I have a Nexus 4 that runs as smooth as butter and I don't have to wonder if it is gonna be updated.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.