Posted Apr 9, 2013
4:42:36 PM
Galaxy SII Skyrocket - Update to Jellybean now available!
Hi folks,

As I'm sure many of you have been excited and waiting for this update, it seems that the Jelly Bean Update (Version 4.1.2/ Build I727UCMC1) for the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is available through Samsung Kies.

The update includes the following:

- Google Now
- Improved call quality
- New AT&T apps such as AT&T DriveMode and AT&T Locker
- Removes Qik and MSpot apps

Remember to download the latest version of Samsung Kies before trying to download the update!

Enjoy! :smileyvery-happy:
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
58 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(58)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 14, 2013 11:47:09 AM
(0)
Scholar
Sure if you search on Youtube you can find video on it.

Re: Galaxy SII Skyrocket - Update to Jellybean now available!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2013 12:18:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Why would Samsung release 4.1.2 for the Skyrocket before the S3? This is so irritating. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2013 1:43:30 AM
(0)
Scholar
AT&T's Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket has the Android OS upgrade Jelly Bean 4.1.2. many bloatware has been added from AT&T, even in in built JB browser. news, faceunlock, S voice all are gone which were available in ICS 4.0.4

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2013 6:50:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

I updated my phone to jellybean yesterday but now I am unable to access the camera. I get an error about not enough memory etc...I didn't have a problem before the update. any suggestions?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2013 12:30:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

So I started the update over an hour ago, and Kies has been stuck on a "Firmware upgrade progress" screen at 0% for about an hour.

I understand it can take awhile, but how long is too long? And what do I do if something is wrong with it? My phone is stuck on the Android download screen. So I'm fairly certain it will not work properly if disconnected now. But am I supposed to wait multiple hours for something to happen?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2013 12:38:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

Does the update to Jellybean wipe out all of my programs already installed?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2013 7:55:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

I will answer the question to my last post for those interested - did the update, all settings saved from before update.  JB seems much better and less laggy than ICS.  So far, so good!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2013 10:37:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

I noticed with the update that when I'm using the camera/video recorder - there is no longer a timer showing how much video recording time I have left.  Anyone else notice this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2013 1:11:29 AM
(0)
Scholar
@djxpress75 yeah you are correct. and also news, faceunlock, S voice all are gone which were available in ICS 4.0.4. I am sure these are action from AT&T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2013 1:14:22 AM
(0)
Scholar
@lyndsie41CE better you follow the below link properly:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00052762&fm_seq=61823

JB upgrade for Skyrocket i think is more than 500MB, so it will take time also. you better take some screenshot form your pc about those stuck problem n post those plz

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2013 6:47:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

Face Recognition removed from the update, what a bummer.

Works great on my work phone ( Verizon)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2013 8:47:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

@redhot4400

I followed those instructions, waited 2 hours and never reached more than 0% progress, contacted Samsung's Support chat. they told me to unplug it and do an Emergency Firmware Recovery. I did that waited an hour at 0%, started over, waited 30 minutes, then waited 2.5 hours at 0%. I tried taking it to my AT&T store, they said they couldn't do anything. I tried Samsung Live Chat again, they said to take it to AT&T where they could "reflash the OS onto my device" or if that doesn't work I'm supposed to send it back to Samsung.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2013 9:57:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am having the same problem getting update to complete. Now can't get recovery to work either. it gets to 2% then gets device error. i tried aTT help and no luck. Next stop is ATT device repair center.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2013 10:20:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

@djxpress75 are you asking for the timer in Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket which has JB Bean upgraded. see the screen shot please:

Untitled.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2013 10:26:57 AM
(0)
Scholar

hi, @ lyndsie41CE try to format your skyrocket full including internal USB storage first. in your pc clean all cache memory, install minimum DirectX9 and Dont Net Framework 3.5 or later from microsoft. another important matter is set up your Windows theme is windows classic style please. and the internet connection should be steady and powerful. 

Last time which ICS was available for Skyrocket many divices were bricked.

Best of luck

thanks in advance

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2013 4:49:21 AM
(0)
Scholar
in US samsung jelly bean upgrade webpage there is no update yet announced about Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00050212&fm_seq=55187
But the JB is available for Skyrocket through Kies more than last 2 weeks. so many times i post about it in Samsung US facebook webpage but they yet not update their page ??

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2013 10:46:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Had my S2 reflashed at device support center. Unfortunately they loaded ICS. Actually my wife's phone. I have S3 with JB :smileyhappy:. I am afraid to try JB update again using my crappy ATT DSL intermittent service.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2013 11:55:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

My AT&T store was unable to reflash the OS. There's apparently no technical support available there. So I'm getting a new one via a warranty exchange. I am very scared to update the phone I get (assuming it comes with ICS).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2013 1:41:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

I kudo'd lyndsie41CE's posts as apparently I experienced a similar situation trying to upgrade to JB through Kies. So here's what happened ot me:

I got a system text from ATT that the upgrade was available at www.samsung.com/us/attskyrocket/update/ and when I tried it using Kies to update to JB it failed to the point that I was prompted to go into recovery mode and restoration, and even recovery wouldn't work, my phone is stuck in odin mode. I called Samsung tech support and they said ATT should disable or remove the Kies OTA app on my phone as it's keeping the restoration from downloading and fully restoring the phone (it sounded like she was reading off a cut sheet). I then called ATT to ask them to do what the Samsung rep suggested but they didn't really know if what she suggested would work as my phone was soft-bricked already. So after a few attempts putting it in recovery mode and trying to restore, but still stuck in odin mode, they decided to send me a replacement phone. I'm going to stay away from JB while I can, seems too much of a hassle. I followed everything per the instructions from that link and have successfully upgraded it to ICS prior to this, so don't know what went wrong here.  If this happens to more than one person, then not all cases of upgrades were tested prior to making the upgrade available in my opinion.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013 1:41:55 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by redhot4400 on Apr 22, 2013 at 1:45:31 AM

USA Samsung should update their page :

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00050212&fm_seq=55187

by the way, on windows for JB upgrade in Skyrocket the theme is a major fact, like in vista if arrow theme is there, then the Kies JB upgrade screen looks transparent.

last time in ICS upgrade for Skyrocket many phone was bricked as because of Kies. why don't they offer both Kies and OTA.

JB for Skyrocket.jpg

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013 5:30:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

ok, now how about the I777??

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013 6:24:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Installed the update Friday.  Since then battery life is in the toilet.  Took phone off charger 6am.  by 650am was down to 62% with no unusual activity.  Saw a post about the Facebook app on JB.  Uninstalled.  Recharged phone.  Back off charger and battery stable at 98% 30 minutes off charger.

Any ideas on this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013 8:50:53 AM
(0)
Scholar
any smartphone which OS is android they should be format totally (reset factory restore including USB storage portion also) before any upgrade, means Gingerbread to ICS or ICS to JB. that's' a major fact.
@rgrace110 you better reset the factory restore default properly then try

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013 10:32:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

Not sure about that. I was able to upgrade to ICS successfully without putting it back to factory default. The only difference this time around I believe was Kies.

Anyhow, my old phone was dropped in the mail this morning in exchange for a replacement unit. Am I at least assured that the data stored in my old phone (as opposed to being stored in the SIM and SD cards) will be wiped clean and unrecoverable in the process of ATT recovering and refurbishing it?  It was stuck in odin mode which I understand is awaiting download of new firmware, but I'd rather have my data not recoverable if AT&T is going to try and save it and resell or use it as a warranty exchange unit as well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013 8:01:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

redhot4400 - No, there used to be an indicator showing how much time was available/left for recording before media was full.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 25, 2013 10:10:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am curious to know why you say to remove the SD card? Kies documentation states the update to JB can be done with or without the SD or  SimCard.  I am having problems with Kies getting past the point where it downloads the  firmware components.  The progress bar stops at 100%.  The connected device disappears and Kies.exe goes to not responding.  The firmware update dialog box closes and th PC just hangs.  There are so many caveats with this whole process of installing Kies and using it to upgrade the Skyrocket.  Kies also has a major drain on resources after starting windows and loging in, then settles down. I read horror stories of people attempting upgrade to JB and end up having to get a new device. There should be an ATT certified set of step by step instructions on installing Kies and what options should be used during the installation and step by step instruction on exactly how to upgrade the firmware. I have tried to upgrade to JB on 3 different PCs running XP SP3 with exactly the same results and I see many posts on the forum having the same problem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2013 4:12:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

Get this when I try to connect.  But mine has CMW Recovery in it.  Any ideas????Kies.PNG

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2013 8:21:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Need to re-install your USB drivers if your device is not being recognized or connected, or iff you're being prompted for CWM Recovery, then you must have had that app pre-installed prompting you to recover, so maybe the upgrade did not perform successfully?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 9, 2013 2:11:27 PM
(0)
Contributor
My galaxy s2 SGH-I777 can't be updated using KIES. I have the latest version but when I try KIES it tells me that the firmware that I have cannot be updated using that program. Is there anything I can do?