Posted Apr 2, 2013
7:14:38 AM
View profile
Galaxy SII 4.0.4 (Version 2) - Comments, questions, problems, etc.
Edited by jrpros on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:16:31 AM

Since AT&T has finally put out an update that is supposed to fix the last one (Sleep of Death), I think it is important to start a new thread with comments, questions, problems, etc. about it. Please keep the community up to date about the results of the latest update.

Also, as of the latest update, my Baseband version is shown as I777UCLL6. I believe the last one was I777UCLK6.

I haven't had any new issues with the latest update, but there are some issues that are still bothering me. I was getting regular restarts and freezing up of apps since 4.0.4 (Version 1) and I am still getting some of those. One of the most common problems is freezing up after using the search button and selecting the Web app to display my results.

One good thing about this update that I have noticed is that the calendar app is now fixed so that I can edit appointments in the calendar.

Any other updates people are aware of?

Galaxy SII 4.0.4 (Version 2) - Comments, questions, problems, etc.

[ Edited ]
27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 11:48:00 AM
(0)
Explorer

Update: It has been 98 hours since I applied the fix. Battery level is at 13% and no shutdowns. I am going to plug in the charger now. I do not plan on rebooting after recharging as I usually do. I am not a heavy phone user, just a few calls and some texting, and little if any internet use. Only 1 app to monitor battery usage. Only 1 minor issue since the update: my phone now announces text and phone calls. I would like to turn that off if I can find out where the setting is. I am guardedly optimistic.

Re: Galaxy SII 4.0.4 (Version 2) - Comments, questions, problems, etc.

2 of 28 (7,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 12:21:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

Same story hear...

89 hours since reboot after fix install.

33% battery remaining... an amazing change.

Battery graph is a nice gentle slope... as it should be.

Nix-Fone... what do you mean your phone "announces" text and phone calls?  As in "speaks" something?  I don't see that option on my S2.

3 of 28 (7,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 12:27:02 PM
(0)
Explorer

I just figured it out. It was under: Settings, Language & Input, Text-To-Speech Output. I had to uncheck Driving Mode.

4 of 28 (7,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 1:21:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

Good grief.  How are you guys getting such good battery life?  Mine hasn't been terrible.  But more or less the same as it was prior to the update.  I get roughly 40-50 hrs.  I have to believe 80-100 hrs per charge is very unprecedented.  

5 of 28 (7,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 1:54:38 PM
(0)
Explorer

I have auto-updates turned off and do a sync once a week. Plus I am a light user. I am happy with the fix so far...

6 of 28 (7,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2013 1:52:25 AM
(0)
Teacher
Lucky you.SOD got worst for me. I am done

7 of 28 (6,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2013 1:53:24 AM
(0)
Teacher
No more Samsungs for me. Good bye At&T

8 of 28 (6,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2013 6:13:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

Double post on purpose... posted this on the old thread as well.

OK... Thought I should post an update because this is just amazing!

I have made it 119 hours since last charge/battery change and still have 9% battery left.

First and foremost, NO kudos to ATT or Samsung.  Shame on them for not fixing this immediately.

It took the determination and exasperation of thousands of customers, many now lost to ATT, to get a response.

To recap my “conditions”:

Usage in this period was lower than “normal”.  The holiday reduced work-related calls to near zero.

A couple of long phone conversations, a half dozen in the 5-10 min. range.

A dozen or so texts with photos etc.

Light web surfing, weather and e-mail checking.  Close to “normal for me”.

Low app usage… Accuweather, some googling around.  Nothing heavy at all.

Mostly 4G with half hour max of WiFi use.

I have updated my phone as they came out and the SoD “fix” was the latest.

I have a wall-charger and extra batteries so I usually swap batteries rather than charge the phone.  Unless traveling then just depends.

So, phone usually gets a hard reset when battery bottoms out.

Apps/Functions Disabled:

I have the Developer Options; Do Not Keep Activities set ON

Only turn on when using, but used both for a short while during this period:

GPS

WiFi

Never turn on:

Sync

All Power Saving Options

Disabled Apps:

ATT Code Scanner

ATT Family Map

ATT Hot Spots

ATT Navigator

ATT Smart WiFi

Buddies Now

Clock (the odd extra one)

Dual Clock

Exchange Services

FaceBook

Media Hub

Movies

myATT

Social Hub

Social Hub (another piece?)

Synchronize

Talk (the Vingo thing)

So, there you have it… progress FINALLY!  I feel exonerated and relieved. 

Exonerated, as we all should, that we managed to get ATT to do the right thing.

Relieved that I have had NO SoD in the last 119 hours.  The phone actually works!

Well, so far so good… but others are still having issues that need to be monitored.

Trust is something ATT did their best to lose.  We shall see what happens in the weeks ahead  L

9 of 28 (6,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 9:42:55 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:44:41 AM

ian_socool wrote:
Lucky you.SOD got worst for me. I am done

I'm sorry to hear you're still having an issue with the phone shutting down. 

Have you done any other troubleshooting? Is your phone's software modified in any way?

Would you please please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you? Please include any troubleshooting steps you've taken (before or after the update) and any other info you think might be helpful. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
10 of 28 (6,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 2:22:03 PM
(0)
Teacher
I have done all the poster above you mentioned today and now it crashes at 60% battery. Here are the latest screenshots. Prior to shutdown 65%. Then the no signal then bye bye. Then this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_socool/8620556660/
Plug in the charger then this:

11 of 28 (5,927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 2:24:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

12 of 28 (5,927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 2:26:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
I am expecting a new battery this week. I was at 65% on the train, logged onto Facebook app and it flickered and died.

13 of 28 (5,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 2:51:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

OK... here are a couple of things that I bought day-one when I got my Galaxy SII.

Charger:

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/i9100charger.html

Spare Battery:

http://www.all4cellular.com/product/samsung-eb-l1a2gba-battery.html

I have had ZERO issues with both of these items.

Now, instead of charging the phone I do this little dance... shud down phone, swap batteries, restart phone, charge drained battery in wall charger.  I'm getting up to 5 days on a charge.

Might help...

14 of 28 (5,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2013 5:50:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

I got a battery today in the mail. It says i9100 When it rains it pours. This one works, but when it is plugged into the charger, it powers down and the charging icon on the sleep screen blinks. I can't win with this phone. The OEM battery is around here somewhere.

15 of 28 (5,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2013 6:15:45 AM
(0)
Explorer

Update #2: I recharged my battery and have gone another 88 hours and battery level is at 15%. Still no shutdowns. I turned off 3 or 4 more things that were in the list posted by Maavalous. I did leave Power Saving turned on however. That brings me to 186 hours total with no shutdowns since the update!

16 of 28 (5,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2013 8:07:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
My wife's 777 is now eating battery so fast after it updated last night the charger can't even keep up. Tried factory reset, no better. Need a solution like now

17 of 28 (5,427 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2013 12:29:30 AM
(0)
Explorer

Try letting the battery completely drain by leaving the phone on tell it turns off on its own i used the flashlight app on to help it drain. After it turned off I tried to start it just to make sure it was drained. Then charge it with the phone turned off until it is 100% charged then start it with the charger still plugged in. That seemed to help my battery drain problems. You might want to remove and reinstall the battery just to make sure you have a good connection. Good luck.

18 of 28 (5,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2013 10:11:21 AM
(0)
Explorer

Update #3: I recharged my battery and have gone another 120 hours and battery level is at 7%. Still no shutdowns. That brings me to 306 hours total with no shutdowns since the update! I am declaring the SOD crisis over for me. Funny thing is, this is exactly what happened with my Captivate. Worked great until an update caused repeated SODs. A fix was never developed for it though. My Galaxy II is back to being the phone I could rely on.

19 of 28 (5,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2013 2:34:20 PM
(0)
Tutor
Letting Li-ion batteries drain all the way is VERY hard on them and can cause damage to the cells.

Seems that the results here are inconsistent, I'm seeing 70% success but 30% crazy flops.

I would highly recommend users to check out XDA Developers to research this issue farther but also keeping results on this thread so it can be tracked.

One thing to remember, there's close to no one who actually monitors these forums who can actually make a difference.

20 of 28 (4,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2013 8:25:40 AM
(0)
Explorer

Mine isn't blowing through battery, but it is VERY difficult to make it through a whole day of light usage (texts, some music, some internet browsing) were as before I could get to the end of my day with still 30-40ish percent battery left

21 of 28 (4,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2013 7:45:42 AM
(0)
Scholar
Is anybody now seeing Bluetooth turning itself off for 1-2 seconds and then coming back on? I don't recall having that issue before 4.0.4. It's annoying when music playback just pauses and I must restart it, but it's a HUGE pain when it drops my phone call while I'm driving.

22 of 28 (4,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 10:05:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

I don't get anywhere near the battery life you all are getting.  I'm not on the original battery anymore (it nearly caught fire) but the spares, when I got them on the old ROM's, lasted as long as the original.  I'm getting slightly better life (and no sleep of death) since removing the extra two shadow apps (clock and... calendar was it?) and upgrading to 4.04.  It might actually last about 32 hours instead of 26...

Disabling some apps... I'll see if that helps

23 of 28 (4,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 10:06:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

What I'd really like to know is when we're getting Jelly bean.

24 of 28 (4,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2013 4:11:56 PM
(0)
Explorer

Thirty days since installing the patch to fix 4.0.4 and not one single SOD. Still getting 4 to 5 days of battery from light usage.

25 of 28 (4,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2013 8:40:45 AM
(0)
Mentor
Is anyone seeing SIM toolkit briefly popup right after start-up. It usually appears on mine right after the launcher appears. Also if you hold down the home button to bring up the task manager it appears there too.

This is new behavior since I've updated to I777UCLL6. It's not annoying or anything just new and was wondering if it's normal.

If you guys are also seeing it then i'm going to ignore it.

26 of 28 (4,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2013 12:16:57 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, the SIM Toolkit showing up is "new" in that I never noticed it before the "fix" was applied.  But, I searched around and found no reason to be concerned on any of the boards.

Something I just ignore.

Also, no issues and great battery life since the fix we all worked so hard to get.  WE are great... ATT, no so much.

27 of 28 (4,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2013 6:09:08 PM
(0)
Contributor
Maavalous- I can't believe your battery life- I'm lucky to get 16 hours. I just turn that developer option ON and I'll see if that helps. I also turned the power saving options off. wish me luck!

28 of 28 (3,917 Views)