Posted Nov 13, 2013
7:46:13 AM
Galaxy S4 - 4.3 Update

Best buy says November 13th, Has anyone gotten the update yet? I know it's still early..

232 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(232)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 12, 2014 11:08:20 AM
(0)
Voyager

So I shouldn't expect the 4.3 update ever then? Did they stop rolling it out because of all the bugs reported?

Re: Galaxy S4 - 4.3 Update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 13, 2014 11:46:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

I previously had the issue of the update not taking on my S4. It would stop at around 25% and make me wait the mandatory 24 hrs. I had read they had pulled it and then rolled it out again sometime around mid Dec. I waited for about a week around Dec 20th and started the update again. It stopped 2 days in a row. I waited until the weekend of Dec 21st early morning thinking the servers would not be as busy. It actually updated with the 4.3. Success!!. I immediately experienced the battery drain. I did a soft reset, turn off pull battery. Once all the apps updated I have not had any issues with battery drain. I believe sometimes part of the operating system (google services will hang up and cause the battery drain. It is usually fixed with a soft reset. Fortunately, I have had none of the issue other have had, ie, wifi not working, bluetooth issues, etc. I do agree the update was not much of a change. As for the battery drain, once my phone stabilized after the upgrade battery life is about the same to some improvement. With moderate use during the day I will have 30 to 40% battery left. For those of you whose phone will not update I can only recommend to keep trying and maybe try the update at non peak hours.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2014 10:43:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

I tried to do the upgrade yesterday and it froze up after downloading about 25%.  Then I today I returned from some shopping and when it reconnected to my wi-fi if finished downloading and updating.  I thought it was doing okay but I turned the phone off and when I restarted it said it was in safe mode.  I turned it off again and it started ok, but then I noticed that I don't have the MOBILE DATA toggle on the notification  panel.  After reading that this has been an issue with this upgrade I wish I hadn't installed it.  Can I uninstall the upgrade and go back.  I used that toggle everyday while I was at work.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2014 10:52:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Can you tell me the 5 menues that you go through to turn it off?  I am currently unemployed and CANNOT afford to run up my data usage when I leave the house.

Re: Galaxy S4 - Loss of Mobile Data Toggle with 4.3 Update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2014 5:53:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

JeanieB51 wrote:

Can you tell me the 5 menues that you go through to turn it off?  I am currently unemployed and CANNOT afford to run up my data usage when I leave the house.

Swipe down from top, press the gear.

Connections Tab

More Networks

Mobile Networks

Uncheck Mobile data...

Now cellular data is off

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Galaxy S4 - Loss of Mobile Data Toggle with 4.3 Update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 21, 2014 1:25:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (I337), I bought it in USA and now I'm in the Dominican Republic, and when I try to update it says "actulizacion Interrupted" but does not load or display the actulización not shown me. HELP!

I could not upgrade to 4.3

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2014 7:01:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

Not sure if this is old news to some of you or not but I just checked and my phone, Galaxy S4 Active, is now updating.  So far about 33 minutes and I'm at 52%.

I'll post as soon as it's finished  :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2014 8:43:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

Ok installed(4.3) and seems to be working fine.  It starts out optimising all your apps, which takes several minutes.  I have noticed some new apps.  Also I was having trouble with the weather widget stopped workng stuck on 1-17-14 and wouldn't update but after the android update it's back to working normal.

Haven't noticed the battery problem everyone is mentioning but hasn't been long enough to show probably.

I'll keep an eye on that.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2014 10:04:44 AM
(0)
Voyager
Sadly, it does appear to be missing. BUT, you can do this by going to Settings, connections, more networks, mobile networks, and THEN turn on mobile usage. And, it requires the full reverse of this to turn it off. Frustrating if you like to turn the mobile use on/off easily. If there is another method - please share.

Re: 4.3 Update for Galaxy S4 - Will it be missing the Mobile Data toggle in Notifications Panel?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2014 2:15:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Since the 4.3 update, S-Voice keeps coming on. I go into setting and turn it off yet it automatically turns on again in a short period of time. I've been fighting this for over a week so I know it wasn't a one-time thing.

Who else is having the problem or has a solution?

Re: 4.3 Update for Galaxy S4 - Can't turn off S-Voice

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2014 2:14:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.3 ON ANY SAMSUNG PRODUCT. I have a galaxy s3 and its a total disaster. google it and see all the problems. AT&T will not Help you at all. They already got your money. They are useless. [Edited to comply with Guidelines]. The KNOX security software on this new update is partly to blame. Its garbage. Google that too. Guess who created the KNOX software for Samsung? The NSA. Keep running your older OS as long as you can!!!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2014 5:04:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've had the update for a week and no problems at all.  No battery issue of any kind.  No apps malfunctioning.  All seems fine.

I have the Galaxy S4 Active and I think the software is different from the S4.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2014 2:15:22 AM
(0)
Tutor
Is there a way to downgrade back to the 4 2.2 firmware?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 17, 2014 4:19:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi, 

I'm new here, so please go easy on me. My wife recently purchased the Galaxy S4 and 24 hours after having it, in came what I believe is the android 4.3 update. Unsuspecting what it was, she downloaded it...and everything went to ****. The built-in WiFi app would not connect to our network, her contacts and personal info was gone, Lookout and other unwanted apps were installed and she kept getting this message that said something along the lines of "suspicious app is trying to connect to device". Not knowing what was going on, we gave the device a master reset and returned it to where we purchased it.

A week later, we tried purchasing a new device. We tried to tweak with the settings in order to prevent unwanted software updates or downloads but apparently did not unchecked a box here or there because eventually, the software update popped up. I called AT&T to see if there was a way that the install advisory could be permamently disabled and to verify if this update would eventually install itself no matter how many times we postponed it. The service rep told me that, yes, eventually it would instal itself once the phone connected via wi-fi, but since then I've wondered if that's truly the case.

Long story short, my wife is in love with the phone but absolutely does not want the troublesome software upgrade. Is there any way to completely override that download permanently? And if it's possible, will the phone continue to function normally if it's not updated? Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2014 12:38:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
Is at&t planning a fix for everything this update broke? (Mobile data toggle button, folders not auto-closing and just staying open, weird typing idiosyncrasies that are unique to every app, annoyance on top of annoyance)

What the above poster said about NSA I need to research, but if true, I will factory reset my phone. Once I do so, however, is there any way to turn off auto update? Because if not, that's a lot of hassle to go through for nothing (especially considering I have my phone *perfectly* organized and configured for my tastes).

So... AT&T... are you going to fix this, or just leave everyone frustrated?

And stop, fellow disgruntled posters!

I can hear your laughter from here. :/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2014 12:40:48 PM
(0)
Contributor
dabf... You can download a free home screen widget from the app store to toggle mobile data function

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2014 1:03:09 PM
(0)
Teacher
Can't fix and any comments above regarding the NSA. But as long as there is something helping the NSA its a good thing.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2014 1:03:44 PM
(0)
Teacher
Fix= find

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2014 11:46:44 PM
(0)
Contributor
I just got the Galaxy s4 (att) and loving it coming from a Apple user since day one BUT I just got the watch "gear" and to my surprise I can't pair due to update with this phone I have been reading and I need help with the "force update" step by step cause I am not understanding how everyone is doing it

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2014 2:31:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just went from an Iphone 5 got an S4 myself:smileyhappy:. You can download the Android update manually on your phone by going to settings->more->about device->software upate. Then select "check for updates" and if there is an update available, you will be asked if you want to install. I recommend having your phone plugged into the charger and updating over a wifi versus cellular. After updating, you should now have Android 4.4.2 on you phone.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2014 4:34:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

I am still running 4.3 on my S4 Active and it shows no update when I check.  I know it took 3-4 months after the other S4s got the 4.3 update before it was available for my Active. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2014 2:58:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Seriously, do not update to 4.4.2.  Beyond the numerous issues that exist for it (very buggy), it also restricts your ability to use your phone with a SIM card.  Specifically, it was created so that Apps could not change files saved by other Apps. 

Google bugs for kitkat 4.4.2.  After you've taken a couple of days to read the complaints, read the rest of this.

For example, you take a picture.  You want to modify it.  Ok, but you can't just save your modified picture anywhere you want.  It must be saved under the app file where you modified it.  Now you have 2 files, 1 for the original, and 1 for the modified version.

Music?  Hope you're not using a 3rd party player.  Any changes (album art, notes, etc.) will save a duplicate file elsewhere.  

Want to move your files around?  Sorry, can't do that anymore. Want to run something off the SIM?  Sorry, can't do that anymore.

But don't worry, you can definitely buy Google or ATT's cloud service for just a few bucks more a month!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2014 9:54:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

Im having the same problem. Continue update is greyed out. Customer service hasnt been able help.