For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
handymanny's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 2:31 AM

Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean - Issues

If you goto Edit Pages from Menu Button and click Edit Page.. Then if you try to remove a page from the group of screens (pages).. it says TouchWiz Error and also no updates for Camera found in this release and also other issues associated with the relese.. I am not sure maybe ATT released the Jelly Bean out of the blue.. I call this a Toilet paper Release...

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

The discussion topic says it all....Perhaps we can use this thread to start logging the JB issues.

I've had my S3 for a couple months...purchased with ICS loaded.  It's been rock solid until I updated with JB.  I've had a couple app problems which have since been resolved by their respective developers (gotta love their responsiveness). But what remains are the random reboots and hard freezes.  On several occasions, I've had to hold down the power button to force reboot.  I have one app left, that consistently locks up.....and by lock up, I mean nothing responds at all, including the home key. 

Additionally, I think the power consumption seems to be greater.  I say "seems" because I'm willing to concede that I may be using it more than usual - playing around with new JB features, testing out my apps, or just because I love my S3.  I'll be monitoring my usage more closely to confirm.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I also noticed random reboots and freezing started after updating to Jelly Bean.  Usually when leaving a Wifi network and the phone switches to LTE data or vise versa.  I should know better than to apply a major update when they are first released.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

It's funny that you should mention the wifi to LTE issue.  I experienced the same thing today when leaving home to go to work, and on the return trip.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

Just a bit of follow up....I have a partial workaround for my lockup issue.  But the bandaid clearly points to an issue with Bluetooth and/or JB's use of it on the S3.  It's like the old adage..."If it hurts when you do that, stop doing it".   I'm preventing the lockups when I transition between wifi and bluetooth (e.g. leaving house, getting into car) by leaving both on.   My lockup hit rate when doing the transition was 100%...so I just stopped doing it.

I still get the occasional random reboot, but not nearly as frustrating as the bluetooth issue.  Although I'm still not able to run Torque...which I'm not guessing has to do with its use of bluetooth as well....am not sure.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

SInce upgrading to JB, I have noticed that the stock messaging app has been EATING battery for no obvious reason.  I hardly text, maybe 10-15 a day.  These are a few screen shots from through out the day.  I have sent 2 messages the entire day.  I pulled this off the charger this morning at 5:30AM with 100% charge.

Screenshot_2012-12-13-10-49-06.png

Screenshot_2012-12-13-13-45-21.png

There is no way messaging should be taking almost as much as the screen.  On ICS, this would be around the 2-4% range for the entire day.

Any suggestions?

2 Attachments

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

mdc2d - I agree.  I've been trying to wrap my brain around all that consumes power and why.  My prior device was an iPhone which could last a couple days just by turning off Location Services.  While I appreciate my S3 so much more than the iPhone, I really want to know how a device that's supposed to be sleeping can consume 2% per hour. 

I understand that the S3 has so much more kick and, of course, that takes so much more power. That said, I've played with disabling apps, turning on Power Saving Mode, Auto Adjust for screen brightness and turning off services where possible....But in the end, these are all measures to conserve power when it's up and in use.  All feel like token gestures..  Each saves a nibble here or there, but nothing shuts down power use in a big way when it's sleeping. That may be why the iPhone could last so long. I had it configured such that when I put it to sleep, it did just that.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I've read that Power Saving Mode & Auto Display actually do the opposite of saving battery. 

I have my brightness set to stay the same and Power saving off, only turn off data connection when I go to sleep. I can usually go up to 48hrs without charging with moderate to light usage, down to say 20% the lowest. I've been got it up to 3 days before I needed to charge it. 

P.S. I'm running ICS still but this is regarding those "battery saving features"

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Since the JB update I started having these two annoying issues. Battery drain and SIM card errors.  Very annoyiing

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Rickalodeon wrote:

Just a bit of follow up....I have a partial workaround for my lockup issue.  But the bandaid clearly points to an issue with Bluetooth and/or JB's use of it on the S3.  It's like the old adage..."If it hurts when you do that, stop doing it".   I'm preventing the lockups when I transition between wifi and bluetooth (e.g. leaving house, getting into car) by leaving both on.   My lockup hit rate when doing the transition was 100%...so I just stopped doing it.

I still get the occasional random reboot, but not nearly as frustrating as the bluetooth issue.  Although I'm still not able to run Torque...which I'm not guessing has to do with its use of bluetooth as well....am not sure.

I have both Wi-fi and Bluetooth off and noticed that the phone had rebooted just a few minutes ago (I heard the AT&T start-up jingle).  I don't know if this is the first time that it has rebooted, but it's the first time that I noticed it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

HELP!!! When using the phone's voice service, all my data services stop functioning with a NO Network Connction Available..I was told this was a jelly bean issue. can anyone verify

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.