The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

The fix they did does NOT resolve the screen of death issue. I still get it 3-5 times a day and when I reboot I typically see anywhere between 40% - 60% battery drain.

AT&T has been negligent in addressing this issue because they know most will upgrade their phones to get around the problem.

I'm waiting until my contract is up and going to another carrier since they've essentially breached the contract by pushing an update that created the problem. Then don't bother to fix it.

Good bye AT&T!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

The update did fix the SOD for me (although my battery life hasn't been that great) and seems to have fixed a bunch of people's phones on here. I wonder why there are those remaining that it hasn't worked for.

Explorer

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

It has been exactly one week for me since I applied AT&T's patch and I have not experienced any more SODs.

The battery life seems good. AT&T had no issues issuing partial credit for 3 months.

Sorry to hear that some people still experience the problem. First and foremost make sure that the patch is applied to your phone, in Settings->About phone-> Baseband version should be I777UCLL6.

If not, you dont have latest version.

Somehow I think it is the same set of people that had SOD on 4.0.3 version of Android. I never had it on 4.0.3, it only started for me with 4.0.4. I think your best course of action is to push and get a replacement phone from AT&T.

good luck

Max

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

@maxud wrote:

Somehow I think it is the same set of people that had SOD on 4.0.3 version of Android. I never had it on 4.0.3, it only started for me with 4.0.4. I think your best course of action is to push and get a replacement phone from AT&T.

good luck

Max

Agreed Max.  I'd also add to make sure the update was the most recent version, from March.  Due to the SOD issue I received a refurbished S2.  It was on version 4.0.3.  When the most recent update was released, the update would not allow me to go from 4.0.3 to the release in March.  I had to apply the "bad" update from Dec '12, then apply the Mar '13 update.

When I applied the Dec '12 update I literally got a SOD within a couple hours.  After I applied the Mar '13 update I've had zero SODs.

My guess is those that are still experiencing SODs have only updated to the first version of 4.0.4.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

For those of you who received a replacement refurbished GS2, have you swapped out your SIM to use it in your original GS2 to update it? Then you'd have two working phones and you could sell one to recoup some of what you paid for service, and didn't receive, for the last three months. I'd really like to be able to apply the update to my GS2 because I use it for most of my game playing and I still get the occasional SOD, although without it searching for reception, I get great battery life. I only use it for WiFi - the rest of the time it's in Airplane Mode.

And for Maavalous, I found some YouTube videos on how to switch off the LTE radio and I did it yesterday. I will wait until the work week, so that I use it the way I usually use it during the week, to see if switching to "WCDMA All" improves the battery drain. My GS3 doesn't show a band indicator, so I have to assume I am off 4GLTE.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

For me, AT&T required that I send my old S2 back in order to get the refurbished phone.  They provided the shipping materials.  Not sure how you managed to keep your old phone Linda Jo.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

NormChar, I am not sure either, but I assume it's because I didn't have a contract since 2007 and they made me sign a new 2-year contract. I guess it's akin to the people who have gotten a credit on service for all or part of the three months it has taken AT&T to offer a remedy.

It was not offered outright. I was offered all the same alternatives as everybody else, but because I am the contact person for my father who is in Stage 4 kidney disease, I missed a full day of desperate phone calls, someone at AT&T recognized that after my 7 previous calls to AT&T throughout the 3 months, had my father not survived this incident, it would have resulted in a legal issue they wouldn't want to get into with me.

It just comes down to speaking with the right attitude to the right person.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

@Linda Jo

What you need is a micro sim adapter (cheap, $1.00 or less). The adapter is mini-sim sized and the center is cut out wherein you would insert the cut down micro sim in the center. Just insert the adapter in your SII and you're go to go. Your visit to AT&T to solve this problem was a joke (to put it nicely).

Go to GPlay and check out these two free apps - Simple Mobile Data Link and Data ON-OFF. I use them both on my SII (useless now)  and SIII. I'm on wifi only, no data plan.

Any accounts sync or apps updates - do them manually. It'll help your battery life.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

A few months ago, I had gotten an AT&T device store to roll my SOD-filled 4.0.4 version back to 4.0.3 to save my sanity with respect to missed calls.  Now that the "fixed" version of 4.0.4 has been out for over a week, I thought I'd upgrade.  So I did a check for updates and installed, only to find I'm back at the bug-filled version!  And now the updates mechanism tells me I'm current, and I cannot check for updates for another 23+ hours?

So, all this time later and AT&T is still serving up the bug-filled version and making people live with it for at least a day?

In case this is useful to anyone else:

Android version 4.0.4

Basband version I777UCLK3

Kernel version 3.0.15-I777UCKL3-CL1174199se.infra@SEP-112 #3 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 26 22:50:34 KST 2012

Build number IMM76D.CLK3

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

bmgoodman, I can tell you that if you do a factory reset, it will allow you to update immediately. I know that is a pain, but if you are okay with that, you won't have to wait. At least it worked for me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.