The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Will there be a link too it?

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Took my phone to At&T to reflash 4.0.4 because I had nothing else to lose and my phone crashed 3 of their computers. This last update did dada to me. If my phone is not on a charger it will just die within 15 minutes of 100% battery

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Oh btw. It is crashing at 80% battery now

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

OK... Thought I should post an update because this is just amazing!

I have made it 119 hours since last charge/battery change and still have 9% battery left.

First and foremost, NO kudos to ATT or Samsung.  Shame on them for not fixing this immediately.

It took the determination and exasperation of thousands of customers, many now lost to ATT, to get a response.

To recap my “conditions”:

Usage in this period was lower than “normal”.  The holiday reduced work-related calls to near zero.

A couple of long phone conversations, a half dozen in the 5-10 min. range.

A dozen or so texts with photos etc.

Light web surfing, weather and e-mail checking.  Close to “normal for me”.

Low app usage… Accuweather, some googling around.  Nothing heavy at all.

Mostly 4G with half hour max of WiFi use.

I have updated my phone as they came out and the SoD “fix” was the latest.

I have a wall-charger and extra batteries so I usually swap batteries rather than charge the phone.  Unless traveling then just depends.

So, phone usually gets a hard reset when battery bottoms out.

Apps/Functions Disabled:

I have the Developer Options; Do Not Keep Activities set ON

Only turn on when using, but used both for a short while during this period:

GPS

WiFi

Never turn on:

Sync

All Power Saving Options

Disabled Apps:

ATT Code Scanner

ATT Family Map

ATT Hot Spots

ATT Navigator

ATT Smart WiFi

Buddies Now

Clock (the odd extra one)

Dual Clock

Exchange Services

FaceBook

Media Hub

Movies

myATT

Social Hub

Social Hub (another piece?)

Synchronize

Talk (the Vingo thing)

So, there you have it… progress FINALLY!  I feel exonerated and relieved. 

Exonerated, as we all should, that we managed to get ATT to do the right thing.

Relieved that I have had NO SoD in the last 119 hours.  The phone actually works!

Well, so far so good… but others are still having issues that need to be monitored.

Trust is something ATT did their best to lose.  We shall see what happens in the weeks ahead.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Okay, so Maavalous posted some incredible battery stats. Does anybody else get anything close to that off the AT&T stock battery? You charge it to 100% and use it like Maavalous does (including some calls, some WiFi, some GPS, some web surfing, some weather checking - sounds like a lot of usage to me!!) and you still have 9% battery left 119 hours (5 days!!) later....I'm wondering if it's the new battery.

I have a new GS3 that is only about a month old and I have all the same apps disabled, I keep data, WiFi and Bluetooth off, I charged it to 100% and took it off the charger at 7am yesterday morning, no useage to speak of (I listened to one voicemail) and I am at 11% after 40 hours.

Unless I have everything turned off and put the phone in airplane mode, this is how the battery drains.

What about everyone else? Do I just have a bad battery??

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

This update definitely fixes the SOD issue. Smiley Happy I wonder if we'll ever find out what was causing the SOD problem?

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Crashed their computers?  It's like "Independence Day" where they uploaded the virus to the mothership.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, it's been nice to feel confident that every time I go to turn the phone on, it turns on instead of being greeted by nothing.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

I'm sure we'll never know the details unles the poor underpaid guy who actually fixed it decides to post it here.

But, here's what I have seen that tells me it was definitely something ATT had done... as far as I'm concerned, we had ATT malware on our phones.

During the painful months of trying to figure this out, one thing I took to checking on a regular basis was the Battery usage chart (when you tap the small chart and expand it).  The very first thing I saw after the update was a HUGE drop in the top line "Mobile network signal".  It went from nearly a solid bar to actually having gaps that corresponded to when the phone was asleep/idle.  We are talking a LOT of activity stopped and more accurately represented valid times for the signal to be active.

Makes one wonder... what was ATT doing??  Well, aside from draining our batteries...

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

To Linda Jo...

I think the S3 is a 4G-LTE phone correct?  In my never ending search for solutions to our S2 SoD problem, I found a lot of posts about LTE draining batteries.  1) It uses more power when active.  2) It wastes a lot of power searching for a signal if you move out of range of an LTE tower.  If fact, there are now apps out there with ability to force LTE phones to drop back to just 4G and improve battery life.

Just a thought...

Oh, for the most recent tests (as I noted) I am swapping back/forth between two batteries and using an external charger.  I think the external charger ($6 on the web) actually charges the batter much better than just plugging in the phone.  Plus, that means the phone gets a hard restart every time I swap.

Could be having some percentage of affect on my battery life but certainly NOT explaining all of why I'm having such luck.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.