The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

@c0ldburn3r wrote:

That's fantastic that you were able to make a difference here but please explain to me why anytime was wasted with another 4.0.4 update when Samsung has been pushing 4.1.2 to the international and Canadian version for months now?

There are very simple and easy changes required to allow the I19100 firmware to run on the i777, Entropy has outlined this and he is an amazing community supporter on the XDA forums.

So once again, why was time wasted on a fix for an OS that adds little to nothing in the way of enhancements?

Please don't respond with something along the lines of this is a legacy device. SPRINT yesterday released 4.1.2 for their Galaxy S2 variant.

c0ldburn3r, I have no problem with your complaint about updating to 4.1.2. However, I do think that your complaints do not belong on this thread. The discussion we have been having here for over 3 months is about the problems with 4.0.4 and when it would be fixed. Hopefully that fix came today...late and without any helpful information from AT&T, but it is here.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Actually this is completely relevant to this thread. The time it took for anyone at ATT to notice and deal with this is 1 ridiculous and 2 a waste when there were and are firmwares from Samsung that could have resolved this issue and brought our phone in line with a current OS that other companies, such as Sprint, are deploying.

Once again the "super brick" bug is still included with this recovery, so enjoy taking the risk of factory wiping and toasting the EMMC chip and using your S2 as a paper weight.

Don't patronize me with replies like this, I've been tolerant and simply watch events unfold but the end result is simply a band aid.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

c0ldburn3r, have you read the other posts and replies in this thread?  This OTA update does not require a factory reset, only a very quick install.

Today's OTA attempts to fix the Screen of Death issue discussed in this thread.  What do you mean by "once again the 'super brick' bug is still included with this recovery?"  Unless you've taken this OTA update and experienced another SoD issue today, which I haven't, nor have I seen anyone else post such an occurrence, you're way off-base.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

The super brick bug has been around since the first 4.0.3 update and is not unknown.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xda+galaxy+s2+att+super+brick+bug

I'm guessing a mass majority of users have never visited the XDA forums to research relevant issues.

I'm not way off base, I've spent countless hours with "AT&T support" and dealing with developers on XDA who actually know a thing or two to resolve this exact issue with my wife's phone. The solution was to simply get her a Note 2 instead of waiting for a "fix".

When services such as 911 can't be used due to a firmware flaw that AT&T pulled the "we've never heard of this issue" just about everytime they were called for support, you get beyond ***

[word filter avoidance]

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, that's a different issue than what's being discussed in this thread.  I haven't seen this "super brick bug" on my phone.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

You must be missing something or need to read that post again, that was a link to explain the super brick bug.

Support calls were for the sod's, overheats, and lack of response from the device.

Also it's a "Sleep of Death" the device will not return from the deep sleep state causing the lack of screen.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

I did read that thread on xda.  The issue described there has to do with the phone being completely dead - cannot charge, won't power up, etc.  I've never had that issue happen to my SGSII.  I'm not saying it doens't exist, I'm just saying it describes a different issue.

The issue we're discussing on this thread (I'm going to be optimistic and say) had a workaround of simply holding down the power button to restart after the SoD.  

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

I think c0ldburn3r is merely expressing disgust that AT&T's chosen manner of fixing the Sleep of Death bug took around 3 months and apparently did nothing more than fixing exactly ONE bug.  AT&T did not fix the other well known bug where doing a factory reset can sometimes "super brick" your phone.  It also didn't give any of the benefits of Android 4.1, which (a) doesn't have either of these 2 severe bugs and (b) has been released for the Galaxy S2 on what some would call a 2nd-rate U.S. carrier.  (Most of the S2's in the rest of the world got 4.1 last year.)

I might feel the same way, but strictly for the purposes of this thread, I care mostly that this "fix" is really a fix.  I'm letting others go first, but I plan to apply it in about a week.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Since I had two SOD's yesterday I figured I'd go ahead and apply the update. Time will tell if they really fixed it.

Everything seems fine so far on the phone.

Oh... I see we made the "news"...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/29/att-pushing-small-update-i777ucll6-to-galaxy-s-ii-with-bug-fixes-and-security-enhancements/

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

OK... had my first "weird thing"... but still no SoD since update this morning.

But, I received a text message.  Read it.  Deleted it.  Icon on my Home screen still says I have 1 new messge.  Just to be sure, I deleted ALL messages... still there.  I'll do a complete restart when I charge it later tonight.  We'll see if it's still there after.

Sigh...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.