The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Maavalous, I see your points there, and I appreciate the additional perspective.

I updated my SGSII as soon as each update came out, starting from the original 2.3.4, to 2.3.6, to 4.0.3, and to 4.0.4.  The reason I think many users are still on 2.3.6 is because as I recall, the update to 4.0.3 was via Kies only, and I don't think most users would go through that.  I don't know why Samsung insists on wired updates via a proprietary software, but I think that's a bad design choice for their customers.  I only began experiencing the SoD issue after the update to 4.0.4.

I am disappointed that AT&T has yet to release the Jellybean update for the SGSII, as many other carriers have already done across the globe.  The only consolation I can think of is that they devoted the time of their one developer who's working on the JB update over the past few months on researching and fixing this issue. =X

I'm glad to hear that you were able to escalate up the support chain.  I don't think I've ever talked to anyone past the front line support reps.  Perhaps if more people did that they'd have been able to gather more info about the issue faster.  However, while most of us have complained on this forum and others, I wonder how many have actually talked to a higher-tier support person who can actually understand the issue we're discussing here, and whether the caller was able to provide coherent and detailed enough information to those reps for the information to be helpful.  I know that in large companies that provide customer support, they all have some sort of issue ticket system that gets escalated and directed to the appropriate tier and department.  However, the only info that's passed along is whatever the reps at each tier writes into the ticket.  Sometimes, that's info is just not consistent or accurate enough to help research the issue. Thousands of customer may have called, but probably mostly got some frontline support recommendation of 1) reboot, 2) factory reset, 3) get a replacement and were never escalated because they're considered "resolved".  Ideally, there was a developer who was able to experience the issue first hand, who can pull all these tickets from customer calls, gather up all the disparate pieces of info, and from that try to determine what combination of conditions end up triggering the SoD.  In reality, probably no single developer was able to be purely assigned to this issue.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I just completed the OTA update.  I then thought I would check with KIES, and got the message that this firmware is not supported by KIES for updating.  Hmmm - is this the end of the line for updates?

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

So before I did the new update, I decided to use Kies to backup my phone and then I did a factory reset. The OTA update went smoothly and I did an additional factory reset afterwards. Now I am trying to restore using Kies and it keeps stalling on the last task. The first time around it was Mini Diary, so I disconnected (even though it says not to) and did a restore with out the Mini Diary (which I don't use anyway). Now it is stalled at Call Log. I can use my phone while it is still plugged in and the Phone log seems to be restored.

Also, it appears as though none of my apps were restored. Does Kies not backup apps?

Thanks

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

While I do think it's the end of the line for updates, I don't know that Kies telling you it's not supported is indicative of anything.  It's probably just a simple check of version that has not been updated yet to recognize the new kernel (if that's what changed).

Regardless, I can't imagine AT&T is going to put any more time into this "old" phone.  Frankly, if this latest patch fixes the Sleep of Death for me, I probably won't ever upgrade it again.  I'm generally losing faith in Android upgrades.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

samblackjack I respectfully but totally disagree with your assessment. While there are thousands of applications and millions of possible permutations of many things, the problem is fairly well defined and delimited to the update AT&T rolled out, is not restricted to a few customers, and is repeatable/reproducible. There is more than enough information for the development team to identify the problem and come up with a much quicker solution (certainly much faster than over three months). I would classify this as a catastrophic failure for the telephone user, not just some error that the user can ignore or live with.

To me, I would find it much more likely that the development team was not informed of the problem in a timely manner and/or perhaps there is a heavy development/support process in place that prevents a quicker roll out.

Ziad

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

@ziadrn wrote:

samblackjack I respectfully but totally disagree with your assessment. While there are thousands of applications and millions of possible permutations of many things, the problem is fairly well defined and delimited to the update AT&T rolled out, is not restricted to a few customers, and is repeatable/reproducible. There is more than enough information for the development team to identify the problem and come up with a much quicker solution (certainly much faster than over three months). I would classify this as a catastrophic failure for the telephone user, not just some error that the user can ignore or live with.

To me, I would find it much more likely that the development team was not informed of the problem in a timely manner and/or perhaps there is a heavy development/support process in place that prevents a quicker roll out.

Ziad

Ziad, you're probably right about the development team not informed of the problem in a timely manner and/or the fix being delayed due to a long development cycle.  The tickets were probably in the queue for a while before the developers got to it.  Then it had to be researched, reproduced, prioritized by business, coded, tested, additional bugs fixed, retested, merged with other fixes and updates in the pipeline, retested, coordinated between AT&T and Samsung and Google/Android, and finally released.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

@samblackjack wrote:

@ziadrn wrote:

Ziad

Ziad, you're probably right about the development team not informed of the problem in a timely manner and/or the fix being delayed due to a long development cycle.  The tickets were probably in the queue for a while before the developers got to it.  Then it had to be researched, reproduced, prioritized by business, coded, tested, additional bugs fixed, retested, merged with other fixes and updates in the pipeline, retested, coordinated between AT&T and Samsung and Google/Android, and finally released.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

@samblackjack wrote:

@ziadrn wrote:

Ziad

My reply to the above somehow didn't post correctly...
Reposting:

That's just it, as I mentioned this is not just some bug users are facing, it's really a catastrophic bug for the telephone user, and should be at the top of any list the team is using.

Ziad

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

I, for one, would love to know what the root cause is.  But alas, they're never going to reveal this type of technical detail.

My guess is that there's some kind of infinite loop issue in the code when certain apps are accessing wi-fi to get updates.  In my experience, the SoD always occurred when wi-fi was active.  And often, as others have reported, after the reboot, there's apps waiting to be updated in the Play Store, as if the act of querying for updates from the Play Store triggered the loop fault.  Maybe it keeps trying to update without success, thus draining the battery quickly during the process.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

That's fantastic that you were able to make a difference here but please explain to me why anytime was wasted with another 4.0.4 update when Samsung has been pushing 4.1.2 to the international and Canadian version for months now?

There are very simple and easy changes required to allow the I19100 firmware to run on the i777, Entropy has outlined this and he is an amazing community supporter on the XDA forums.

So once again, why was time wasted on a fix for an OS that adds little to nothing in the way of enhancements?

Please don't respond with something along the lines of this is a legacy device. SPRINT yesterday released 4.1.2 for their Galaxy S2 variant.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.