Posted Jul 6, 2012
12:21:36 PM
Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

618 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(618)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013 5:46:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

@Tidegurl,

If I was you I would install Kies on my computer and IF the update comes tomorrow or in the next couple days I would connect my phone to the computer. Kies should recognize it and if the update is available will install it. Kies is Samsung"s program so is there ATT SIM card or not , shouldnt matter. Just follow the propmts, that's all.

At least you can use it as a small tablet with WiFi connection , or as substitute of GS3 .

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013 6:07:22 PM
(0)
Explorer
Thanks @tzenko, thats what I was wondering if keis would sti. Work with it...if I get it straightened out I'm planning on keeping it for a backup phone, for awhile...it seems necessary now that ATT is not so reliable anymore.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013 6:47:49 PM
(0)
Voyager

I have followed this thread and followed some suggestions about disabling some of the ATT apps & disable double clock app but I have had best luck by turning on "Do not keep activities" under Developer options.  Maybe they will push an OTA this weekend like the post earlier stated, that would be nice.  But so far I have run 2 days with no no issues normally I wold get a couple of SOD's per day.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2013 10:44:08 PM
(0)
Explorer

Oh please let that not be a troll and the update to actually come tomorrow and fix this problem

*not holding my breath*

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 6:45:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

Shock of Shocks!!!

My phone just started installing an update today Friday 3/29 at 8:30.  Took less than 15 min.

My phone now shows:

Android:  4.0.4  darn

Baseband ver: i777UCLL6

Kernal: 3.0.15-CL1174199

Build: IMM76D.CLL6

Looks like it installed a Kies update and a Quickoffice update as well.

Sigh... no Jelly Bean here.  But, hope springs eternal for the SoD issue.  Sadly, after what I've been through with ATT, I'll believe a fix when I see it... well, in this case, don't see it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 6:48:04 AM
(0)
Voyager

Ditto on the OTA update.

Time will tell.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 6:48:22 AM
(0)
Voyager
Update is out, we will see how it works. Already had qik and vlingo fails on boot up.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 7:04:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

Haven't posted here before, but I've been dealing with the SOD since installing an update back in December.  Tried any number of solutions to no avail.  I did a master reset of the phone about 3 weeks ago and that seemed to help for a while, but I had about 3 shutdowns yesterday; it appeared to be getting worse.

• My phone is installing the 3/29  OTA update right this instant, so we'll see how it goes.
  • The update installed very quickly - less than 3 minutes
  • Everything appears to be just as it was before the update; all apps that I've tried are working fine

I'll post again later and give you any news.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 7:05:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

Just got the same update.  In addition to the info you've listed (below), it also listed this under the

Kernel version: SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 5 20:41:16 KST 2013

I wonder if the "PREEMPT" is some update to "preemptively" apply the fix to the SoD problem before the official Jelly Bean update that's already in the works.  Or it's preparing the phone to receive the Jellybean update.

Android version:  4.0.4

Baseband version: I777UCLL6

Kernel version: 3.0.15-CL1174199

Build: IMM76D.CLL6

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 7:08:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

One curious thing is that the OTA update did NOT re-enable all the AT&T apps that I had previously disabled in order to try to prevent the SoD problem.

Before this OTA update, I was getting SoD about once every couple of days, which is manageable.  So we'll see if this update fixes the issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:59 AM
(0)
Explorer

Interestingly it is only OTA and not at all through Kies

the update was 6694KB in size

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 7:36:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

jamileh wrote:

Hey all, 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions.

Seriously?   I had 3 or 4 "rare occasions" yesterday....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 7:47:28 AM
(0)
Tutor
This is interesting because everyone I talked to at AT&T were unaware of any problems with the S2 shutting down.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 7:55:52 AM
(0)
Tutor
Hate to be a ditto poster, but maybe jamileh couldn't read the 18 pages in this discussion. I think i't a universal problem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:07:44 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T, masters of corporate-speak that would make Janus, the two-faced god proud.

"We're not aware of the problem you're speaking of", yet they're working on a solution that will be released "in the coming weeks".  Though the "coming weeks" stretched into months.

Then sometimes there is feigned empathy for how "frustrating" or "inconvenient" this must be, only to be told later that there are "few" people with this problem and that it happens only on "rare occasions".

Look, I'm glad they issued a fix, and I hope it actually works, without breaking other things.  But this time, I'm holding off on applying the update until I get more feedback from the ones suffering the most.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:24:05 AM
(0)
Teacher

From jamileh:

"...The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions."

Really?!?! Several times a day (or a week) is rare?

This is actually an insulting statement to your customers

Ziad

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:24:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

This SoD issue on the Samsung Galaxy SII was introduced with the Android 4.0.4 update that was released by AT&T and Samsung in December 2012.  An AT&T rep confirmed this issue in this forum in January 2013, and the fix was pushed out today, March 29th.  This issue is definitely a bad one for those affected, including myself, but I think AT&T and Samsung's response has been pretty good when you really think about what's involved here.

First, every mobile device on every carrier by every manufacturer have issues - nothing is error free.  The fact is that this phone sold tens of millions of units, and it only impacted those of us who updated to 4.0.4, which would be a small percentage as most users probably are still running 2.3.6.  And the issue probably happen rarely for most users who are on 4.0.4 because based on the symptoms, certain conditions must be occurring to trigger it.  I know several users on this forum who have suggested different steps, such as disabling certain apps, to help mitigate the issue.  This means that in order to identify the root cause, AT&T and Samsung would have to reproduce this issue repeatedly in order to research it, and they have to account for all the different apps that users have installed, and there may have been multiple combinations of triggers to research. Plus, there's probably no error logs sent back to AT&T/Samsung when these issues occur for them to examine and trace the SoD conditions.  And I'm sure this is just one of many, many other errors that other users using other devices are experiencing, which means they have to prioritize the research and fix using their finite team of developer resources.  Bottom line is that a turn-around time of a couple of months for this type of issue is pretty good.

And of course frontline reps at AT&T are not going to know about this issue.  They're trained only to sell phones/plans.  They're not developers.  We cannot expect them to know about some issue that only a few customers are complaining to them about when they only need to be superficially knowledgeable about the few phones they're selling at the moment, or must stick to a sales script prescribed by corporate headquarters?

I'm just glad that AT&T/Samsung provide a forum for customers to discuss and raise issues, and that they're watching these forums, responding to customers, and communicating with their technical support personnel to address customer issues.  It may not be as fast as those affected would like, but it's a reasonable response.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:28:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

samblackjack wrote:

One curious thing is that the OTA update did NOT re-enable all the AT&T apps that I had previously disabled in order to try to prevent the SoD problem.

Before this OTA update, I was getting SoD about once every couple of days, which is manageable.  So we'll see if this update fixes the issue.

I previously received a refurbished S2 due to the SOD issue.  With that version I was allowed to delete the AT&T apps.  I was not able to do so with my original phone.   So I think the AT&T apps were/are definitely part of the fix.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:31:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

NormChar wrote:

samblackjack wrote:

I previously received a refurbished S2 due to the SOD issue.  With that version I was allowed to delete the AT&T apps.  I was not able to do so with my original phone.   So I think the AT&T apps were/are definitely part of the fix.  

Yes, the AT&T apps are part of the OTA update that came out today. I saw them "install" during the update process, and I had expected them to show up in my app drawer.  But to my surprise, they were still labeled as "disabled" in my list of apps.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:37:37 AM
(0)
Mentor

Samblackjack,

You do make a couple of valid points.  Things like this ARE hard to track down.  But...

1) The issue started in June of last year by my best research.  There is actually no guarantee that it wasn't happening with the original Gingerbread OS.  The 4.0.4 ICS update was out in June so this was probably an issue from the first day the phone shipped.  I had my first SoD in July last year within weeks of getting the phone and started working it with ATT support.  So, no, not 3 months... a minimum of NINE months for a fix.

2) During that NINE MONTHS, Samsung released and supported Jelly Bean on all but U.S. units.  Based on my research, not a single JB unit has SoD.  So, their response with a "fix" was a very badly taken decision.  Assuming it is a fix that is.

3) By January of this year, all active users of the S2 would be on 4.0.4.  If you read the forum, the OAT push in December would not be denied... sooner or later, if you turn on your phone, you get the upgrade to 4.0.4.  So, no sympathy for Samsung or ATT on that front.

4) We were not calling Sales for "front line reps".  We were calling Support at both Samsung and ATT and, in my case, escalating WAY up the chain.  Doesn't ATT have internal communications channels?  How could the reps in Support not be aware of something that thousands of people have called in about?  That would be a sign of VERY bad managment.

Sorry... this was an epic fail for ATT all around and points out HUGE issues with their support organization.  A bad sign of things to come I fear  :smileysad:

Don't breath a sigh of releif yet... it will take weeks to assess how many thousands of phones were either fixed or still broken... or broken even worse by the "fix".

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:57:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

Maavalous, I see your points there, and I appreciate the additional perspective.

I updated my SGSII as soon as each update came out, starting from the original 2.3.4, to 2.3.6, to 4.0.3, and to 4.0.4.  The reason I think many users are still on 2.3.6 is because as I recall, the update to 4.0.3 was via Kies only, and I don't think most users would go through that.  I don't know why Samsung insists on wired updates via a proprietary software, but I think that's a bad design choice for their customers.  I only began experiencing the SoD issue after the update to 4.0.4.

I am disappointed that AT&T has yet to release the Jellybean update for the SGSII, as many other carriers have already done across the globe.  The only consolation I can think of is that they devoted the time of their one developer who's working on the JB update over the past few months on researching and fixing this issue. =X

I'm glad to hear that you were able to escalate up the support chain.  I don't think I've ever talked to anyone past the front line support reps.  Perhaps if more people did that they'd have been able to gather more info about the issue faster.  However, while most of us have complained on this forum and others, I wonder how many have actually talked to a higher-tier support person who can actually understand the issue we're discussing here, and whether the caller was able to provide coherent and detailed enough information to those reps for the information to be helpful.  I know that in large companies that provide customer support, they all have some sort of issue ticket system that gets escalated and directed to the appropriate tier and department.  However, the only info that's passed along is whatever the reps at each tier writes into the ticket.  Sometimes, that's info is just not consistent or accurate enough to help research the issue. Thousands of customer may have called, but probably mostly got some frontline support recommendation of 1) reboot, 2) factory reset, 3) get a replacement and were never escalated because they're considered "resolved".  Ideally, there was a developer who was able to experience the issue first hand, who can pull all these tickets from customer calls, gather up all the disparate pieces of info, and from that try to determine what combination of conditions end up triggering the SoD.  In reality, probably no single developer was able to be purely assigned to this issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 9:10:22 AM
(0)
Voyager

I just completed the OTA update.  I then thought I would check with KIES, and got the message that this firmware is not supported by KIES for updating.  Hmmm - is this the end of the line for updates?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 9:36:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

So before I did the new update, I decided to use Kies to backup my phone and then I did a factory reset. The OTA update went smoothly and I did an additional factory reset afterwards. Now I am trying to restore using Kies and it keeps stalling on the last task. The first time around it was Mini Diary, so I disconnected (even though it says not to) and did a restore with out the Mini Diary (which I don't use anyway). Now it is stalled at Call Log. I can use my phone while it is still plugged in and the Phone log seems to be restored.

Also, it appears as though none of my apps were restored. Does Kies not backup apps?

Thanks

Updated, now trying to restore Kies backup.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 9:37:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

While I do think it's the end of the line for updates, I don't know that Kies telling you it's not supported is indicative of anything.  It's probably just a simple check of version that has not been updated yet to recognize the new kernel (if that's what changed).

Regardless, I can't imagine AT&T is going to put any more time into this "old" phone.  Frankly, if this latest patch fixes the Sleep of Death for me, I probably won't ever upgrade it again.  I'm generally losing faith in Android upgrades.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 10:02:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

samblackjack I respectfully but totally disagree with your assessment. While there are thousands of applications and millions of possible permutations of many things, the problem is fairly well defined and delimited to the update AT&T rolled out, is not restricted to a few customers, and is repeatable/reproducible. There is more than enough information for the development team to identify the problem and come up with a much quicker solution (certainly much faster than over three months). I would classify this as a catastrophic failure for the telephone user, not just some error that the user can ignore or live with.

To me, I would find it much more likely that the development team was not informed of the problem in a timely manner and/or perhaps there is a heavy development/support process in place that prevents a quicker roll out.

Ziad

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 10:21:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

ziadrn wrote:

samblackjack I respectfully but totally disagree with your assessment. While there are thousands of applications and millions of possible permutations of many things, the problem is fairly well defined and delimited to the update AT&T rolled out, is not restricted to a few customers, and is repeatable/reproducible. There is more than enough information for the development team to identify the problem and come up with a much quicker solution (certainly much faster than over three months). I would classify this as a catastrophic failure for the telephone user, not just some error that the user can ignore or live with.

To me, I would find it much more likely that the development team was not informed of the problem in a timely manner and/or perhaps there is a heavy development/support process in place that prevents a quicker roll out.

Ziad

Ziad, you're probably right about the development team not informed of the problem in a timely manner and/or the fix being delayed due to a long development cycle.  The tickets were probably in the queue for a while before the developers got to it.  Then it had to be researched, reproduced, prioritized by business, coded, tested, additional bugs fixed, retested, merged with other fixes and updates in the pipeline, retested, coordinated between AT&T and Samsung and Google/Android, and finally released.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 10:27:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

samblackjack wrote:

ziadrn wrote:

Ziad

Ziad, you're probably right about the development team not informed of the problem in a timely manner and/or the fix being delayed due to a long development cycle.  The tickets were probably in the queue for a while before the developers got to it.  Then it had to be researched, reproduced, prioritized by business, coded, tested, additional bugs fixed, retested, merged with other fixes and updates in the pipeline, retested, coordinated between AT&T and Samsung and Google/Android, and finally released.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 10:31:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

samblackjack wrote:

ziadrn wrote:

Ziad

My reply to the above somehow didn't post correctly...
Reposting:

That's just it, as I mentioned this is not just some bug users are facing, it's really a catastrophic bug for the telephone user, and should be at the top of any list the team is using.

Ziad

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 10:37:54 AM
(0)
Mentor

I, for one, would love to know what the root cause is.  But alas, they're never going to reveal this type of technical detail.

My guess is that there's some kind of infinite loop issue in the code when certain apps are accessing wi-fi to get updates.  In my experience, the SoD always occurred when wi-fi was active.  And often, as others have reported, after the reboot, there's apps waiting to be updated in the Play Store, as if the act of querying for updates from the Play Store triggered the loop fault.  Maybe it keeps trying to update without success, thus draining the battery quickly during the process.