The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Just adding one more to the list of people with this problem.  In addition to shutting off in idle mode, and sucking the battery, mine is also overheating.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Frogger27:  I'm with you on Shostock3!  I love it.  That's Jelly Bean, folks.  Our S2s are entirely capable of running that OS.  There are other good ROMs out there too, I gather.  Like I said before, it's worth looking into rooting.  Don't be afraid to at least research it.  I was intimidated from even doing that, but it wasn't nearly as difficult as I feared, and the phone is *vastly* improved (not to mention no SODs!).  And you can even *unroot* your phone to bring it back under warranty condition.

Frankly, I consider this whole debacle a blessing in disguise.  If none of this had happened, I wouldn't be enjoying the Shostock ROM. 

I'm still 'mad' at AT&T just on principle, though.  There must be more to this programming stuff than I know, because I can't imagine it would be difficult at all simply to offer a rollback to 4.0.3 if fixing 4.0.4 is so difficult.  And about that: did AT&T not test a number of phones on this version?  I have to think that even burning in just 10 phones for a week would have revealed enough problems to postpone publishing.  I'm not a programmer, but I've worked closely with many over the years, and I know to a man, or woman, they would be mortified if software they had written had resulted in this kind of snafu.  That's likely true of the AT&T crew, but for whatever reason, they're being kept from providing a fix.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I'll add my positive comment on the Shostock3 Rom. In running Quadrant Standard my speed increased over stock 4.0.3 substantially. I'm right at the same speed now as an HTC One X and just slightly under an S3. That's without overclocking. Excellent battery life, not a single lock up. All with Jelly Bean. Amazing the Sho has fixes & updates quicker than samsung/at&t does. Why can't the big boys be as responsive?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Re: Shostock3 - and this development is being done by one guy (Shoman94) with a full-time job, as a hobby!!! And he just underwent neck surgery. No excuse, AT&T.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Not really positive on the new apps, it's been awhile since the initial upgrade. Doesn't really matter. I'm having the same issues again and still getting the same run around from ATT. I just filed a complaint with the BBB. Hopefully this matter gets resolved.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I just signed up to say it is happening to me also. I updated to 4.0.4 last week and it fails to wake up about once a day.

Why is the update to 4.0.4 still available to the Galaxy S2? There clearly is issues with it as reported on this forum. It should have been taken down when it became apparent there was an issue with it. It was released in December. I shouldn't have been able to update to a defective version three months later.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Anduser- The reason AT&T is not doing anything (I GUARANTEE you they aren't doing squat) is because this only affects one model out of the many different models they offer. If the 4.0.4 update broke EVERYONES phone I know for a fact they would have come up with a fix ASAP and porbably had directions to roll back to 4.0.3 in the mean time. Sadly, it's all about the numbers.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I just installed SHOSHOCK based on everyones recomendations. Thought I bricked it, but a phone call to a buddy of mine eho actually works for XDA and he walked me through it. He said Shoshock is one of the best available and will be very pleased with it and will have none of the dreaded SODs

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Add another customer who is experiencing this SOD issue.  I really liked my GS2 before ICS.  I switched from iPhone 3 because I didn't like the Apple method of phasing out support for "legacy" models.  It was a brick after 1.5 years.  Now, after 1.5 years of Galaxy use, I have another brick of a phone.  As a freelancer who depends heavily on cell phone reliability, this situation is completely unacceptable.  Missed calls and texts because my phone is locked without my knowledge = missed work.  So frustrating.  Seriously considering leaving AT&T over this (our family contracts are almost up).  Don't know if any of the others are any better though.  Plus I'm grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.  

I think AT&T just wants us to give up and buy the S3.  

Guru

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Sure, if we can just tolerate the problem for a couple more months until S4 is released, then we can all upgrade to a free S3 for free.  That's exactly what the AT&T fat cats are hoping we all are going to do.  BTW my solution was to learn to root my phone and install ShoStock3.  Unbelievable.  Feels like I just got a new S3 for free!  As another poster said, this problem turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Take advantage of this issue as a motivating opportunity for you to learn how to root your phone.  Free yourselves!  Google is your friend.  AT&T is not.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.