The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T would have you do factory resets for known problem daily until {word filter evasion} freezes over. And why wouldn't they? A reset will keep you busy for at least a day, setting your phone up all over again. Tomorrow you can do it again. I'd like AT&T to show me ONE person with Android 4.0.4 whose Sleep of Death issue was fixed by a factory reset. Just ONE.

Once you're having SOD problems, your ONLY options are:
1)Find a way to get 4.0.3 put back onto your phone, possibly by someone at an AT&T Device Store.
2)Put a 3rd party ROM onto your phone, once you're aware of and accepting of every feature that will be "broken" due to incomplete documentation about the phone's features. It varies by ROM, but so far as I know, no 3rd party ROM has every feature working.
3)[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]..
4)Sign a new 2 year agreement, if you're eligible, so you can get a new phone.
5)Put your SIM back into your old non-smartphone, cancel your data plan, and wait for your contract to end.
6)Pay the early termination fee to cancel your contract and run to the next tyrant in this oligopoly, sure in the knowledge that THEY will treat you better. 😉

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Not only am I having at least once SOD every day, my phone just had a heart attack and my power button doesn't work now...

Screen went black, didn't respond, so I held the power button to restart it. It restarted and the button now doesn't work. Nothing I have done has gotten it fixed. (removing battery/sdcard/simcard/factory reset) and the people at the ATT store are dumb.

So now I have even more problems. I can't wait till my contract is up. 

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

I'm curious, do any of you use Whatsapp and/or Junos Pulse?

As ridiculous as this is, that we have to act like magicians and troubleshooters, wasting precious time on something we shouldn't have to, I did a wipe data from the recovery menu, and then have been pacing myself on what apps I install on top.  I had not gotten SODs for a couple of days, then I went ahead and installed Whatsapp, and I got one overnight.  I have removed it since, and have not gotten more SODs yet.

I have no clue if that was the cause or not, but this is anecdotal information.  So, wondering how many of us with this issue use one of those two apps, in the remote chance that this is the cause.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

I was getting SODs before I installed WhatsApp, so in my case at least WhatsApp is not relevant.

Ziad

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I think you will find that there are people on this thread that have pretty much had every app removed and they still got SOD's.  Sometimes it would stretch the days out but they always seem to come back with the 4.0.4 software. Probably just chasing your tail trying to eliminate apps because the problem lies in 4.0.4.  

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

Never had WhatsApp and was getting SODs.

Explorer

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

Hi,

To add to this, without a doubt the update to 4.04 caused this problem. I challange anyone to come up with a phone that is doing this (SOD, that is ) on 4.03. Please don't post your experiences adding/removing other apps unless your phone has gone 3-4 weeks without an SOD after doing so.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Mine has been freezing in standby since I upgraded to ICS last year. The 4.03 update made no difference, and the 4.04 update made it worse and also caused the proximity sensor to work intermittently, causing erratic phone behavior during calls.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

@dogtired_01,
If you had it happening with 4.0.3 and the other issues you stated, you may have either a bad phone or an app causing the problem. For those that were able to roll back to 4.0.3, haven't heard of any issues other than I did have an intermittent text message sound that didn't work. 4.0.4 is going to SOD pretty much no matter what. It's just a matter of when. You may want to do a factory reset/data wipe. It might fix everything except the SOD.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I just talked to AT&T Technical Support.  The rep verified that this was a known issue.  She contacted Samsung Tech Support and that rep said that a fix was on the way but she didn't know when or how the update would be made available.  So we continue to wait.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.