Posted Jul 6, 2012
12:21:36 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
618 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(618)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2013 6:24:29 AM
(0)
Explorer

Well I finally joined the masses and rooted my phone and reverted back to version 4.03. Wasn't bad and lost a few things mostly due to Kies not actually backing up my data when it said it was(weird!). Otherwise, the process was painless.

So I am just going to ride out my contract with AT&T and then switch carriers. In the meantime at least I can count on my phone not doing the SOD and draining the battery. 

So long AT&T. 

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

391 of 619 (2,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2013 8:13:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

After going through this ordeal, I finally gave up and rooted and installed SuperNexus. Needless to say my phone now works better than it ever has. I encourage anyone with technology-chops to research this process and do it - it can be confusing to understand the process, but the steps themselves are very simple. For now, this seems to be the best solution.

I can't, for the life me, understand why people are satisfied that signing another two year contract is an acceptable solution. If your house got robbed, you wouldn't just hand the robber a key for next time and call it a day. This situation is nothing short of fraud. 

392 of 619 (2,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2013 9:04:28 AM
(0)
Explorer

By the way AT&T and it's people have handled this, I am convinced that it is simply a tactic to make you spend more money. They force you, by breaking your phone with software, to upgrade your phone mid-contract and pay the price for a new phone and contract.. How can they lose? It is fraud. They can easily just say, "that's nonsense, we love our customers". Yes, you have shown me how much you do. 

393 of 619 (2,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2013 4:54:12 PM
(0)
Mentor
I just upgraded from 4.0.3 rooted to a shostock 4.1.2 jelly bean. No bloatware, only programs I want. On a benchmark test my speed was just barely slower than a s3. Just saying since at&t wont help, I can still love my S2.

394 of 619 (2,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 3:06:36 PM
(0)
Explorer
One last update. I really like my Sony Xperia Ion that I got with the new contract. I only paid 99¢ for it, plus $36 early contract fee. Like I said before, not the solution I was looking for , but at least I now have a phone that works. I reset the phone, got the unlock code for it from AT&T, then sold it on eBay for $250. That's not too bad considering that I only paid $9.99 for it in the first place. I know what you guys mean by saying that is unacceptable, but I NEED A PHONE THAT WORKS. There are some things I will miss about my GS2, but some things I like better about the Ion. All in all, I won't be buying another Samsung product after the way I was treated by their warranty dept. ( way worse than AT&T), and after my new contract is up,goodbye AT&T. I will switch to Verizon and either Sony or HTC.

395 of 619 (1,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 3:11:51 PM
(0)
Explorer
...and I don't know why it says posted from Samsung GT-I9100. I had a SGH-I777, and it's gone. It should say,“Posted from Sony LT28at". just saying

396 of 619 (1,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 3:17:18 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

nomoresod,

Thanks for sending us a PM.  I have notified one of our Social Media Managers and they will be in contact with you soon.

Regards,

Ray on behald of Jam

Community Manager 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

397 of 619 (1,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2013 3:56:21 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

mrmeany

Thanks for sending us a PM.  I have notified one of our Social Media Managers and they will be in contact with you soon.

Regards,

Ray on behald of Jam

Community Manager  

--------------

398 of 619 (1,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2013 6:40:21 AM
(0)
Mentor
@jamileh, based on your last two posts, does this mean everyone should PM the community managers to get some action on this?? If that's the case someone should just tell us.

399 of 619 (1,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2013 7:29:29 AM
(0)
Explorer

@ablan59,

there is no action from the community managers! they will send you a email to you stating the same stuff that is known to everybody. "We are working on a fix and mostly it will be out it 2 weeks" :smileyhappy:

400 of 619 (1,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2013 7:39:09 AM
(0)
Mentor
Thats what I figured. Everyone still hearing crickets. They want everyone to re-up and buy the next big thing, the S4 which comes out in a few days. Of course, if you spend countless hours writing, calling, contacting the BBB & Atty general, you might get a free phone. I ended up spending a few hours & fixed mine myself. I just hate all the run around everyone has gotten that don't have the technical ability.

401 of 619 (1,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2013 12:20:42 PM
(0)
Mentor
Unfortunately I can't fix mine by flashing a custom ROM, because my company's security system on Android checks for officially released firmware from the carriers and that the phone is not rooted.
What really stinks in addition to not having a reliable phone is that no one has even provided a diagnostic utility that we could all use to pin down the causes.

All smoke and mirrows. No tracking of how many people have the issue and who they are, complete unawareness of call center technical support on the problem, lack of urgency or interest in troubleshooting the problem properly. Maybe this is just my perception and other customers are actively involved in troubleshooting, but at this point I'm guessing we won't see any proper resolution to this.

402 of 619 (1,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2013 3:51:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by bmgoodman on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:52:15 PM

You are NOT alone. We are legion. The corporate silence is deafening. If you happen to be free on the launch date of the S4, consider stopping by the store to let perspective buyers know how well you've been "handled" by AT&T!

[ Edited ]
403 of 619 (1,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2013 6:26:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

BMG you are correct we are a legion of loyal users of att products, however att has been keeping this issue pretty well hidden. If it was not for this thread here I would have thought it was an issue on just my phone. and after calling tech support last night and an agent decided to call Samsung and ask about this issue i realize this may not get fixed for many more months. and why is that because as of the 14th the galaxy S IV comes out and and the galaxy S II becomes outdated in the eyes of att and Samsung so do you think there going to put a ton of effort in to fixing outdated equipment, nope they'll fix it with a small crew of programmers and probably by September we'll have a fix.

404 of 619 (1,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2013 6:40:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

I swore I was not posting here again as AT&T has made it very plain that they do not intend to do anything to right this wrong but here again is a prime example of the problem.  I'm at the airport to pick up my son.  My phone that has worked all day is now Sleep Of Death.  Turned it back on, with 56% power, and find out that my son tried text me that his flight is delayed in Denver.  Oh thank you so much AT&T for the wonderful service.

As one more indicator of how little THEY care I have yet to receive any call back on the phone message I left Friday to  the corporate number they left me on a message.  It is so frustrating that no one cares.  The Galaxy S 2 is the perfect size for a smart phone.  The S 3 and the S 4 are to big to carry in your pocket.  A S 2 with Jelly Bean would be close to the perfect phone.

How about that fix that was talked about a month ago????

405 of 619 (1,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 7:27:03 AM
(0)
Mentor

I fear that ATT has gone to the "Pinto Plan".

If you remmeber, back in the day the Ford Pinto was found to explode when hit from the rear.  Ford did an analysis and determined that it would be cheaper to pay off anyone hurt than to recall tens of thousands of cars and fix them.

Now that the SII is a hit and the SIV is coming out... ATT got our $$ and have moved on.   Sigh...

406 of 619 (1,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 7:43:54 AM
(0)
Teacher

My shutdowns are now happening more often. It is extremely frustrating.

It has been over 7 weeks since Jamileh mentioned that "a fix will be available in the coming weeks". Can AT&T please update us on the status of that fix?

Thank you,

Ziad

407 of 619 (1,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 8:38:44 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Varo on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:39:15 AM

Don't hold your breath. People have been asking for updates consistantly throughout this thread and all they have gotten is the same reply multiple times.

AT&T isn't going to do anything about this, our only hope is that they finally put out 4.1.1 like everyone else in the world has done for the SII

[ Edited ]
408 of 619 (1,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 8:40:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

It's pretty clear that our phone's are unreliable after the 4.0.4 update. I've had to revert to an old Nokia flip phone so I won't miss calls and texts. How can AT&T deny that this issue is caused by the update? It's painfully obvious.

Fix this or lose customers. And every customer you lose will tell other customers about AT&T's lousy customer service and high costs.

409 of 619 (1,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 8:47:50 AM
(0)
Explorer

Hi,

AT&T is not denying that there is anything wrong with the 4.04 update... I think they more or less acknowledge it. They have chosen however to not do anything about it. Plain and simple. I have written the BBB and the Attorney General and just try to talk anyone I know out of dealing with AT&T on any level (including Uverse). They are comfortable in the fact that they know they have you, the customer, over a barrel so to speak.

410 of 619 (1,387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 9:18:37 AM
(0)
Voyager

Hi Everyone. I've been following this thread since mid-Jan. Posted here a couple of times. Just wanted to let you all know that ATT just sent me a new phone. Last Thursday I filed an online claim with the BBB requesting that ATT either fix my phone or let me out of my contract. Friday morning an ATT Mobility West rep called me to discuss my complaint.  She offered to send me any new phone I wanted, besides an iPhone. She noted that there was no timetable for a SOD fix.  So I had her send me a Galaxy S3, which arrived Monday.  I guess I am happy - at least I have an upgraded and working phone. Just wish it didn't take 2 months to get it resolved. I would suggest you all do the same. If you wait until tomorrow, you might even get them to send you an S4.

411 of 619 (1,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 9:34:08 AM
(0)
Teacher
what happen to my post....???

412 of 619 (1,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 9:38:11 AM
(0)
Mentor

If you are the one who posted the CEO contact info... no big surprise.  They immediately deleted it  :smileysad:

413 of 619 (1,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 12:23:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

FYI, I recommend subscribing to this thread by clicking "Topic Options" in the upper left corner of the page (unless you don't want to get lots of emails about this). That's a good way to get all of the posts.

414 of 619 (1,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 2:42:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
@claudepi:

Did they extend your contract?

415 of 619 (1,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 5:28:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi All, I too started seeing this issue since Dec 12.

I have tried all these things in the order(from Dec) and now my phone is much better(may sleep once in 7-8 days) - not sure which one has worked.

1. Disabled the 2nd Clock app from Settings - Applications

2. Turned off Notifications in Google Play

3. Installed Pedometer(runs in background) - so there is always some activity.

I have SGH-I777 and a sd card in my phone and also have not rooted my phone.

Hope it helps.

416 of 619 (1,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 7:27:34 PM
(0)
Teacher
Great news folks! Just got off the phone with an att rep and she said that they're not able to switch out phones because a fix is coming out. Then I asked her when and she said ' really soon'... I literally started laughing on the phone! I had to hang up.

417 of 619 (1,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 6:43:40 AM
(0)
Explorer

Upon reading the last post I immediately went into "Software Upgrade" option and did a "Check for Upgrades".

Guess what?

It said

"Your current version sucks. We will upgrade it real soon. Any day now."

S4 is being unveiled today..... Will be calling at the end of the month to get one.

418 of 619 (1,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 7:08:07 AM
(0)
Scholar
Any update for this may not be "over the air" (OTA)... it may be one where you would have to use Kies. I don't see why it would HAVE to use Kies, but AT&T/Samsung may do it that way. But this most recent update was sent OTA, right, so it would be appropriate to send the fix OTA.

419 of 619 (1,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 7:37:44 AM
(0)
Explorer

The very last thing I would ever do would be to get a Galaxy S4 through AT&T. If you do you might as well just hit it with a hammer and save AT&T the trouble of breaking it with a software update later and thumbing their corporate nose at you.

420 of 619 (985 Views)