Posted Jul 6, 2012
12:21:36 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
618 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(618)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 8:59:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

I upgraded to 4.0.4 when it was released; I think it was a couple of months ago.

I suffered SOD and couldn't stand that.

I resorted at this forum, but no AT&T staff could help.

I called customer service; they too could not help yet just transfered me to Samsung customer service.

Samsung asked me to mail my phone for further check.

How would it be going if I mailed my phone and had no phone for use?

Since neither AT&T nor Samsung could fix this HUGE bug, I flashed a third party ROM after a consideration.

I know it would break my warranty. But what else can I do with my phone always sleeping???

I don't think AT&T would like to pay any attention on this "old" device.

I was a loyal AT&T customer, but not any longer!

After my contract ends, I will definitely transfer to Verizon! Adios, AT&T.

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

301 of 619 (2,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 11:21:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Time to start filing complaints, but honestly, I guess I'm done after the end of my current contract. 

302 of 619 (2,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2013 12:05:52 AM
(0)
Voyager

I am adding my voice as well. I have two S2's, worked perfectly for about 13 months and since the 4.0.4 upgrade I am having lots of issues on both. I called AT&T about a week ago and was on the phone with a couple of agents for total of 70-80 minutes but in the end the only thing that was offered was that they would allow me to sign a new 2 year contract (4-5 months earlier than they would have) and charge me $200/phone for Galaxy S3, as well as $36/phone upgrade fee. Obviously I did not bite and I am really looking forward to moving on.

If anybody from AT&T is reading this, please either fix the SOD issue or contact me seprately and offer a more reasonable solution.

303 of 619 (2,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2013 4:26:33 AM
(0)
Mentor
Just an FYI, I read on another S2 forum that Samsung released the JB update on the 15th to all carriers. Some have already released it evidently. So if its out there, give it to us!

304 of 619 (2,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2013 4:57:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Peaсen1k on Feb 24, 2013 at 5:00:37 PM

jamileh wrote:

Hey all....

As you know from my earlier posts, AT&T is aware of this issue and is working on a resolution.  We continue to investigate reports of customers’ devices powering down.  We hope to resolve this issue in the near future.

When would this be? It's been months!

My previous experience of AT&T's resolution of problems "in the near future" is the reason I rooted my SG2 and installed a new ROM on it as soon as this problem started occuring for me (back in December of last year, right after I updated to 4.0.4). I've been very happy with my phone ever since, with vanilla Jelly Bean 4.1.2 running on my i777 flawlessly and with the battery life I could only dream of before. I could do this because some teenager did a ROM development job in his spare time from going to school, and posted the result product on a public forum for all to benefit from. That job which all of the bloated AT&T tech services just couldn't and wouldn't do. Ever.

This isn't the first time customers with tech problems get the runaround and excuses from AT&T, and not the last time. What should be scarry for the company execs is that the devices they decided to peddle as part of their business are getting more and more complex, and their loading of lowest quality bloat-ware on these devices, and treating tech support as an afterthought, and outsourcing their customer support to scripted drones in some third world country will end up biting them on the 'behind' sooner then they rhink.

[ Edited ]
305 of 619 (2,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 6:32:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

300+ Posts. 

Lets consider the number of ATT Customers who would actually take the time to look up the issue on the internet

Now lets consider the number who would stumble upon this thread. 

Next lets consider the number who would actually create an account in order to post in this specific thread. 

So what, there are maybe a few hundred thousand people encountering this issue?

Still, ATT does nothing. 

ATT is a joke, their customer support is a joke, and their lack of concern for their customers is apparent.  

306 of 619 (2,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 7:21:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

First, and foremost, I TOTALLY agree with all the posters demanding the Jelly Bean update.  Come on ATT... it is in general release for a phone that is "bricked" by your ICS update.  You'd think a company that claims "customer care" would get on this and get it out.  Ultimately, that is the FIX for this.

Meanwhile, after disabling practically everything but the ability to make a phone call, I've come to believe the issue lies with the Power Management features of ICS.  Just for reference, I'll repost below the list of things I've disabled to try and make the phone usable for more than a few hours at a time.

The big change came when I gave up on Power Management and disabled that.  Since disabling ALL Power Management features, the phone has not SOD for NINE DAYS!!  I feel like getting a cake and 9 candles for it. 

Two things led me to this conclusion: 

1) I don't really see the value in the Power Mangement functions anyway.  For a lot of VERY good reasons, you really don't want GPS and WiFi on unless you are using them.  Sync features add nothing to my life.  But, I am not a "social media zombie" either so all those features are useless to me.  So, your overall battery life will be MUCH better without un-used features on.  It takes 2.2 seconds to turn them on when I need them... not a strain at all.

2) Given the "sleep" nature of the SOD, it just made sense to me that there might be a connection.  I would guess that I could enable virtually everything else I've disabled and may test that theory.

So... Power Management is lame and useless... kill it!!

So, here's the list of what I killed trying to keep my phone alive.  But, if I were you... I'd just go for the Power Management and see what happens.  Settings, Power Saving, uncheck both boxes (System and Custom).

Only turn on when using:

GPS

WiFi

Never turn on:

Sync

All Power Saving Options

Disabled Apps:

ATT Code Scanner

ATT Family Map

ATT Hot Spots

ATT Navigator

ATT Smart WiFi

Buddies Now

Clock (the odd extra one)

Dual Clock

Exchange Services

FaceBook

Media Hub

Movies

myATT

Social Hub

Social Hub (another piece?)

Synchronize

Minor Success... Holding my Breath

307 of 619 (2,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 8:46:04 AM
(0)
Explorer

i disabled all the ATT apps and there was no SOD for a week! Then it all started back. Really annoying over the weekend since i missed few important calls and i didn't even know it till now..... One positive thing after disabling the ATT apps was the battery is really good. I am really planning to install custom ROM. ATT is not fixing the problem and also not even giving us a useful timeline about when things will get fixed!

ATT is not giving us any options other than to break the warranty by installing cutom ROM. If something goes wrong while doing custom ROM, i may brick the phone. Thats the only thing holding me.... 

As others have said, i have been a customer with them from cingular days....

Re: Minor Success... Holding my Breath

308 of 619 (1,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 12:16:05 PM
(0)
Explorer

we are not asking for an update to the latest android (4.2 or jellybean) but a rollback to a working version (4.0.3) and for that we have wait forever. Sometimes i wonder whether ATT is providing us service for free :smileyhappy: Even open source projects have a good turn around time for fixing issues or rolling back.... 

309 of 619 (1,905 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 12:59:59 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by FMontoya on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:02:39 PM

From Maavalous post.

So, here's the list of what I killed trying to keep my phone alive.  But, if I were you... I'd just go for the Power Management and see what happens.  Settings, Power Saving, uncheck both boxes (System and Custom).

Only turn on when using:

GPS

WiFi

Never turn on:

Sync

All Power Saving Options

Disabled Apps:

ATT Code Scanner

ATT Family Map

ATT Hot Spots

ATT Navigator

ATT Smart WiFi

Buddies Now

Clock (the odd extra one)

Dual Clock

Exchange Services

FaceBook

Media Hub

Movies

myATT

Social Hub

Social Hub (another piece?)

Synchronize

I have done the same except for turning off sync and Facebook. I haven't had an SOD in over a month. I also did a back up and reset before disableing these app's.

Someone suggested because I shut my phone off at night is the reason I don't get SOD's but I have left it on for about 5 to 6 days with no SOD. I was thinking about what he said and thought maybe we should do a restart everyday to see if this helps the SOD issue. I don't mean leave your phone off just simply restart your phone daily.

AND YES WE ALL KNOW WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO ANY OF THIS BUT ATT WILL NOT HELP US ANYMORE SO LETS TRY TO HELP EACH OTHER. :smileyhappy:

[ Edited ]
310 of 619 (1,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 8:49:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
Its 100% sure that the shut off problem in S 2 is due to OTA upgrade to 4.0.4
I went to art service centre and tried replacing with new device. Same exact prob continues even with new mobile after upgrading to 4.0.4. I don't know how to downgrade it. But I read in a forum and found that its due to alarm clock package.
So what I did is, I did a factory reset and don't ever used delivered alarm clock. So after reset I have installed an app for alarm clock and I'm using that. So for 10 days I didn't get this prob and so far so good. Please share if you have any solutions.
Last option is we have to wait for jelly bean upgrade to S2 i777.

311 of 619 (1,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 2:34:23 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by maxud on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:38:29 PM

I tried disabling apps, the incidents happened less, but not stopped completely.

I tried disabling power saving, got SOD within 1 hour.

The only sure way for me to not have SOD is to have the phone plugged into charger.

It also does not seem to happen when I am talking or streaming music via bluetooth.

I don't feel like rooting or reflashing rom just yet.

I followed my own advise and called ATT over the weekend, after a chat with Tech support,

I got partial credit for two months.

For everybody's reference, the 4.0.4 became available on 12/19/2012, so it has been just

over two months. I fully intend to keep requesting partial credit until the issue is fully resolved.

With all due respect to people who are ready to leave ATT, there are equal number of people

who are ready to leave every other US wireless provider. If there was one perfect provider,

then everybody would have switched to it already, leaving the dead weight behind.

Call ATT, request partial credit, money talks, maybe this will wake them up.

It totally sucks that one of the two major mobile OS distribution models sucks so bad.

Between Google, Samsung and ATT, OS updates take forever, if they happen at all.

But whats worse is that plain bug fixes take months.

As somebody correctly mentioned, it is down right scary that devices are only going to get more complex,

so ATT needs to either invest into handset technology support now, or stop mocking around with handsets.

For full disclosure, I have been with ATT->Cingular->SNET Lynx from the days of Nokia 918. I have worked for SNET and my

wife for SNET/Cingular, after SBC aquired SNET.

[ Edited ]
312 of 619 (1,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 2:55:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just hung up with AT&T tech support, I was told that an update is in the works and should be available in a couple of weeks(of coarse no exact date)! Hopefully this is the truth because this issue is very annoying.  I thought it was a problem with my phone, but now I see it's everyones problem.  My phone, just as everyone elses, has been doing this along with silencing my text message notifications since day 1 of the updates.

313 of 619 (1,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 6:59:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is anyone else having problems not receiving texts? This just started for me last night and is possibly an unrelated issue. I haven't received any texts even when my phone is on. I watched someone text me this morning and have not received that or any other texts that people tried to send me. I have been getting a lot more SOD and battery drops lately. They got a bit better after I disabled the AT&T apps, maybe one or two a day, but now it's back up to over 5 a day. 

314 of 619 (1,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 7:35:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

Nope.  No problem with texting for me... ever.  Even when I was having daily SOD, texts did come through.

I'm still having best luck with killing the Power Saving options. 

11 days since I disabled Power Saving and no SOD plus longer battery life.

315 of 619 (1,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 7:40:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hmm ok, guess it's something else. Just got off the phone with AT&T they didn't know what to do so sent me to the warranty department. Maybe a new phone will help with the new texting issue but doubt it will help the SOD. I already have power saving disabled : /

316 of 619 (1,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 4:53:15 AM
(0)
Contributor
Hi verdo. Chimed in just to answer your question. I've had that happen to me twice in the past 3 months. The first time was in November. Called at&t tech support, one of the guys had a fix. He said to check my phone in 24 hours.

The next day, a flood of my unread text messages came in. Didn't need to do a factory reset, didn't need to uninstall any apps, guy just fixed it on his end.

Second time it happened, called them again. None of their technicians could figure it out. They proposed either a factory reset, or a refurbished phone replacement.

In retrospect, I should have gotten the first technicians name, the guy who had the fix.

I didn't want to do a factory reset because of all my settings. Didn't want a refurb either for personal reasons. So, in the end, since they could not figure it out, I agreed to the factory reset. Lost all my settings and some phone numbers, but the latter was my fault since I didn't back them up properly.

After the factory reset, the text messaging problem was fixed. I also unistalled Go Messenger pro, a text messaging app, since I figured, it too may be causing some problems.

So my suggestion for you is to call at&t and find someone who knows how to fix this problem before considering a factory reset, which also happens to be a sure fire way to fix it.

But before doing the reset, make sure to properly back up your apps, data, and contacts to Google. You can also request at&t to give you directions on how to do a back up.

Best of luck to you!

By the way, I am also having the SOD problem since updating to 4.0.4 last December. Eagerly awaiting the fix.

317 of 619 (1,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 5:53:37 AM
(0)
Scholar
The update has been coming "in a couple of weeks" for about a month now. It's not coming today, but maybe tomorrow....

318 of 619 (1,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 8:24:17 AM
(0)
Explorer

I wonder if ATT fix to this issue will be upgrade to Jelly bean. In which case we could be in for a long wait.

319 of 619 (1,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 9:32:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well, I got excited as many others when disabling some of the apps, etc, stopped the SOD for a while, but they are not eliminated, they still occur.  I do not have any power management settings enabled.

It doesn't matter if they happen every day or every 5 days, the point being that a phone cannot be so unreliable as to risk draining the battery to zero unknowingly, and then being stuck.

I don't care about JB, I will not put a custom ROM.  What I want is a functional, reliable phone from the carrier that I purchased it from, and supported by the carrier.

So my question to the AT&T Moderator is:

- How can all of us formaly log that we have an issue with this problem without wasting valuable time with tech support offering to do unnecessary factory resets or send refurbished phones which have the same exact problem?  The left hand doesn't talk to the right hand when it comes to most of the technical support folks, because they aren't even remotely interested in hearing that other customers on the AT&T forums have reported the same issue with no resolution.

Thank you.

320 of 619 (1,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 10:17:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

I couldn't stand it anymore so I installed Cyanogenmod on my phone. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. I started with a nightly build but then reverted to a stable because I was having issues. Now my phone has been on battery for 12.5 hours of normal use and it's still at 73%. That would be unheard of on AT&T's 4.0.4 update.

I'll probably stick with AT&T as my carrier, but I'll never be dependent on them for phone updates. If I stick with Android, it'll be a pure Google phone from here on out. Fool me once...

321 of 619 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 11:47:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

My wife and I have two SG2 phones, and both are affected by the SOD caused by ATT's OTA  4.0.4 upgrade.  So far, have tried three factory resets and a replacement phone from ATT.  It makes no difference.  Andd ATT knows this, but they are stalling.

The phones are worthless now.  I can't assume when I pick it up that there will be any battery left, since the battery frequently dies when SOD kicks in.  We can't rely on these phones for basic calling or 911 emergency calling.

Both of these phones worked fine until the OTA upgrade to 4.0.4.  Now they don't work.  ATT can't fix them (at least as of now) - and it's been this way for over two months now.

To all who say "Once my contract expires, I'm gonna' switch carriers...":  Guess what guys.  ATT broke your phones over two months ago, and haven't fixed them or replaced them with working phones.  I think this means that ATT has already breached your contract.

Carl

322 of 619 (1,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 6:39:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you, Doc D. Yeah I tried calling again and actually got someone who wanted to troubleshoot. The last guy didn't even attempt to do anything and just transfered me to the warranty department. This guy today went through a bunch of things, what worked was he had me switch my SIM card to an old phone I had and all the missing texts flooded in to that phone. I put the SIM back in my regular phone and am now able to receive messages again. He said if that happens again I should go ahead and get the replacement phone because it's probably a device issue. Now if only there was a fix for the constant SOD. Whenever I've tried to explain that they offer a factory reset and replacement phone,  but because I've read everyone's experiences here, I know that won't do anything and will just be a hassle trying to get all my info on a new phone and the problem will persist. Really fed up with this.

323 of 619 (1,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2013 7:59:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think carlh6902 is exactly right here: "ATT has already breached your contract."

My phones were still under the warranty and I finally got ATT to replace my two SG2's with SG3's. After three replacement SG2's, I will not be coming back to ATT. The customer service is horrible, they tried everything in their power to "trick" me into paying for upgrades and contract extensions. I made it perfectly clear to them they were not upholding their contract and there were other ways for me to deal with this. They finally got the point.

324 of 619 (1,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 5:47:13 AM
(0)
Mentor

Went a few days without a SOD, but had one this morning on the way in to work. It's amazing to me how much of an inconvenience this has become.

I'm about to request AT&T void my contract. I'm just not interested in their excuses anymore.

325 of 619 (1,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 7:54:23 AM
(0)
Contributor
Things is, its not shutting off, it's asleep... I call it coma mode.
Try turning off your motion activation.

326 of 619 (984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 8:28:52 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Npl on Feb 28, 2013 at 8:31:13 AM

Just called AT&T Customer Service (1-800-331-0500) to try to see if they had any addditional information, work arounds, solutions, a time table for either an update to JB or a fix for 4.0.4, etc. Spoke with a representative from Technical Support regarding the issue but received no new information (in fact I'm pretty sure she didn't know anything regarding the terms "Ice Cream Sandwich" or "Jelly Bean"). After spending ~20 minutes attempting to convince me to pay full price for an upgrade to a new device I told her that the only things I was interested in was a free replacement S3 or S2 on 4.0.3 (which she did not know the meaning of) or to have January and February refunded since AT&T has caused my phone to be unreliable. After being placed on hold, she returned and offered me $200 credit towards future bills (which is approximately my portion of the January bill + what I estimate would be my portion of the February bill). While this doesn't solve my problem (the fact that I now keep my phone off and power it on just to check messages / make calls in order to avoid the SoD), at least it makes up for the sketchy service over the past 2.5 months. Perhaps if everyone with this problem is costing them $100 a month, they'll roll out an update a bit quicker.

Edit: P.S. I'd like to thank the moderators for removing the "Solved!" tag from this thread.

[ Edited ]
327 of 619 (964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 8:38:45 AM
(0)
Contributor
Things is, its not shutting off, it's asleep... I call it coma mode.
Try turning off your motion activation. I did and haven't had a problem since.

328 of 619 (953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 10:12:17 AM
(0)
Mentor
I don't have motion turned on, and I have the SOD issue.

329 of 619 (916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 12:02:08 PM
(0)
Voyager
Figured I'd give it a try, so I turned off motion activation. Got a SOD 30 minutes later :-(

330 of 619 (878 Views)