Posted Jul 6, 2012
12:21:36 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
618 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(618)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 8:21:19 AM
(0)
Mentor

I agree with manfmmd.  While I appreciate Tidegurl and Montoya's suggestions.  I'm not sure I would consider that a fix.  That's quite a few apps to disable.  I previously tried the clock suggestion but seemed to lose my alarms.  So that's not an option for me.  Plus, from what I've read, should you get the SOD again you would have to go through that routine of disabling all of those apps again.

As a follow up to my experience...I went to Device Support Center on 2/18/13.  All they did was a factory reset.  Battery life was better.  But I think that was more a factor of losing some apps than the reset itself.  However, it lasted about 24 hours.  I went to bed on 2/19 with roughly 66% battery life.  SOD happened over night and I last all battery life.  Needless to say my alarm didn't go off.  :smileysad:

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

271 of 619 (2,949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 8:39:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

If your rebooting your phone once a day you are basically doing the SOD yourself.  We shouldn't have to reboot or disable apps to make our phones work right.  I never hear of people with Iphones rebooting constantly or having to disable apps.  4.0.4 is a piece of crap and just needs replaced. 4.0.3 has worked for me now 30 days plus with no SOD.  Only complaint I have is that text message alerts sometimes do not sound off.  Root keeps it from doing an automatic update.  Why can't AT&T just turn the auto update off and roll everyone back to 4.0.3?  

What happened to the fix that someone on the forum here said that AT&T told them it would happen on the 15th?   

272 of 619 (2,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 8:41:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

Because of this SOD issue, I am really contemplating switching companies. This deal seams pretty good to me. Not sure about the phone yet though, have to do more research.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/LG-Optimus-L9-Prepaid

273 of 619 (2,924 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 11:06:56 AM
(0)
Explorer

I need to find out how much i have to pay if i get out of contract... Both of our S2 are having this issue for the past 2 months!!!! Planning to buy Nexus 4 phone and don't need to wait for ATT for updates in the future.... 

274 of 619 (2,867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 11:14:13 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all....

As you know from my earlier posts, AT&T is aware of this issue and is working on a resolution.  We continue to investigate reports of customers’ devices powering down.  We hope to resolve this issue in the near future.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

275 of 619 (2,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 11:38:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thousands of users have been experiencing this issue for months and AT&T has done nothing to correct the mistake.

Where is JB?? 4.1.X or 4.2.X.

My phone shuts off at least 3 times a day. Often I restart it and the battery is completely dead after a full charge! Why am I paying for inconvenience? Other carriers have already deployed JB, what is AT&T waiting for? Jelly Bean was releases in July of 2012 and it has still not been made available on the GS2.

I’m going to the nexus line. I’ll pay $300 direct to Google up front for a no contract phone and pick the carrier who is best to work with and switch at my discretion.  

276 of 619 (2,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 11:40:15 AM
(0)
Explorer

So now instead of "in the coming weeks", it's now the "near future"

so very helpful.

277 of 619 (2,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 12:08:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

Jelly Bean has been available in Canada on Rogers for almost a year.  I could research, but I'm pretty sure it's on the Galaxy S3 now everywhere.  If you root your phone, you can put it on the S2 no problem.  Well, except that rooting has a whole boatload of problems by itself.

So, having a HUGE amount of experience in Info Tech, here's my theory.  Something ATT has done for/with their version of the S2 has created the problem.  Mods to the OS or custom apps/drivers that are installed "for us" in the middle of the night?  They may even know what it is by now.

But... this is America after all... so the real question to the answer is... where's the money?

Selling new phones with new contracts and ever increasing plan costs to support all the new features.  The S2 is a discontinued model and they already have our money locked in.  The S2 was part of the curfuffle with crAapple patents and Samsung as well.  Honestly, I'll be shocked if we get a fix from ATT or even Jelly Bean upgrade.  That would be too much like taking care of customers.

Not sure where I go from here... Honestly, Samsung has always been one of the best phones you can get. I've owned them for as long as they've made them.  They must be doing something right... they make a big chunk of what goes in crApple eyePones.  So can't put this solely on them.

ATT?  If you're listening... the biggest mistakes you are making are:  1)  NOT owning up to the problem to ALL S2 owners.  2)  NOT fixing the problem.  In business, you have ONE chance to win over a customer and a thousand to lose one.  From what I've found on the web...you are losing THOUSANDS of customers over just this one issue  :smileysad:

My Guess

278 of 619 (2,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 1:36:25 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by FMontoya on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:37:51 PM

@ ablan59

Ive always turned off my phone at night even when i was getting SOD's but I haven't had any since I reset and disabled the apps. For testing purposes I'll leave my phone on to see if I get an SOD.

Just like I said in my post I don't think we should have to reset and turn off apps ourselves either, but if we can find a solution it would benifit all of us.

ATT will not help us.

[ Edited ]
279 of 619 (2,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 2:05:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hundreds of posts, thousands of views, multiple threads... months have gone by (just search on 4.0.4).  The technical support supervisor on the phone had the same answer "A fix is coming in the next few weeks" -- what a joke, same reply that was posted on this forum by jamileh back in January.   They seem to have no clue how many phones are affected, and no desire to do any outbound communication, and no ability to put a date out there for an update - thus we all have to spend hours finding out about these issues ourselves.  No suggestions from the AT&T technical team on how to minimize the issue either.  

Been a customer for over a decade - really thinking about leaving them.  

In agreement with everyone here - this has been really poorly handled....  WAKE UP AT&T!! 

Get the technical team to 1) jump on these forums and post some helpful workarounds to minimize the issue 2) proactively notify all S2 owners that they might be experiencing a known firmware issue - might save thousands of others from wasting countless hours searching and 3) commit to a fix date - publish it - and put the engineers on a timeline to get it pushed out (you do it for product launches all the time).

280 of 619 (2,729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 4:57:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Actually, it IS a Samsung problem. I'm on Boostmobile myself and have been experiencing this issue since day one when I got my phone. I've been following this thread because it's the biggest one I could find doing a google search. But yeah, it's definately not just an AT&T problem.The one thing we all seem to have in common is a Samsung Galaxy S2 running ICS 4.0.4.

281 of 619 (2,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 5:25:14 PM
(0)
Explorer
I actually didnt do a restart this morning and at 2:15 today had a sod. When phone started back up battery was not drained tho. Does doing a restart help? I dont know...but at this point it cant be hurting.

282 of 619 (2,658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 5:30:09 PM
(0)
Mentor
4.0.3, plus root = no SOD.

283 of 619 (2,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 5:56:44 PM
(0)
Explorer
I agree .....flash back to 4.0.3 with the official ROM .....no SOD

284 of 619 (2,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 6:10:50 PM
(0)
Explorer
Yep Im gonna flash!

285 of 619 (2,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 6:36:35 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 20, 2013 at 7:46:09 PM

All,

OK... I've found evidence of this for T-Mobile and now we've heard from Boost.  It is obviously one of the reasons Samsung didn't fight too hard when crApple wanted the S2 pulled off the market. 

BUT, ATT is NOT off the hook... my phone is "ATT Branded" and they owe me a fix.  If they want to point fingers at Samsung... first, they have to take their name off the phone. I can only hold my breath for so long.  If ATT doesn't have what it takes to get Samsung to fix it... well, all of us don't stand a chance.

As a side note, I've also seen sites with the Jelly Bean ROMS etc. that are "supposed" to work with the S2.  I got the feeling JB was "not ready for prime time" on the ATT version of the S2.  You seem to know your stuff... any insight into that?

Bottom line...

I've had my phone SOD during a conference call with the UK that made me look pretty dumb. ATT does NOT want to know how many millions it will cost them if it SOD's when I'm calling 911 in an emergency.  Apparently, ATT does NOT care about that... yet. 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Flashing Back Fix

[ Edited ]
286 of 619 (2,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 7:28:24 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 20, 2013 at 7:42:56 PM

One last thing...as I mentioned in one of previous posts, I highly recommend that you do a factory reset BEFORE doing the flash operation to prevent any lingering files from causing problems.

Good Luck!

Re: Flashing Back Fix

[ Edited ]
287 of 619 (2,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 8:03:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

Registered to add my voice to the chorus. Have had the problems described since the update in December. Really frustrated that I'm paying so much money for a service I can't rely on and hasn't provided a fix in two months. I've missed many important calls, texts, and alarms because my phone shuts off without me realizing it. I've also wasted hours researching this online because AT&T has been no help. We shouldn't be charged full price these last few months while we haven't been getting what we paid for. If AT&T doesn't want to lose more customers over this they should give us refunds and get our phones working again.

288 of 619 (2,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 8:29:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
With all due respect ablan, we get that your phone is working fine with 4.0.3 and rooting it. But I don't think that's what this forum is for. Perhaps on an XDA forum yes. This forum is how to get it working for the "average" user, who doesn't want to do anything outside of the standard procedures.

289 of 619 (2,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 9:10:27 PM
(0)
Voyager

Just wanted to add my voice to the growing chorus.  Black, unresponsive screen of death (SOD) on the Galaxy S2 since the December upgrade to the new OS.  It is absolutely ridiculous that Samsung/ATT won't support a rollback to the earlier OS, if customers desire this. What do they have to lose? It seems this would fix all of our problems.  It's great that people are able to root their phone, rollback the OS and everything works fine and dandy for them.  I just don't have the time or the know-how to do this.   I can't wait until my contract is up. Goodbye ATT.

290 of 619 (2,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2013 4:30:50 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

mhilb ,

I have received you PM and I have notified a manager to contact you. 

Regards,

Ray on behald of Jam

Community Manager  

--------------

291 of 619 (2,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2013 6:26:25 PM
(0)
Mentor
Can I have a manager contact me as well?

292 of 619 (2,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 8:44:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Trying every solution that is suggested here and have found one that was mention earlier that is working for me so far going on 3 days with no issue. I disabled the ATT Smart Wifi and it is working. I'm  fixing to trying the same with my wifes phone and see if it works for hers too. If you turn your phone off you have to remember to disable it again. 

293 of 619 (2,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 9:05:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

Just wanted to "correct" that last comment.

You can Disable it by going into:

Settings

Applications

All Applications

Tap it

Choose Disable

It will stay off even after you restart your phone.  And, my SOD's have decreased since disabling it.  Though, it still seems to help more to turn off the Power Management features.  Still testing, but have a week now without an SOD since disabling that long list of apps.  I think I listed them in message 237 or near that.

Shutting off Smart WiFi

294 of 619 (2,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 9:33:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

So I'm sitting here at work this morning and went to check my phone after not using it for the last few hours...and it was frozen again. I pulled the battery and restarted the phone. Now the battery is down to 21% remaining, when it was fully charged overnight. Yesterday I had no SOD and the phone lasted all day and had more than this left when I went to sleep.

COME ON AT&T YOU NEED TO FIX THIS AND I WANT A REFUND

It happened again

295 of 619 (2,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 9:53:58 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm seriously thinking of going Google Nexus 7 with no contract next time.  There is a thread with 169 posts on the Galaxy S3 not recieving phone calls.  Seems to be a lot of AT&T/Samsung issues going on & reading the thread, they are not having any luck getting those fixed either.  No one wants to go through the painful process of rooting & rolling back or using a different ROM versioin.  For me it was the only way since I was out of warranty & not eligible for an upgrade.  I'm sure if I screamed loud enough I could get an upgrade, but then I'm stuck in a two year contract again, even if they gave me a new phone.  Not sure I want that after the way this problem has been treated.  Oh yeah, I have been a customer for close to 20 years, back when it was Cingular.  

Re: It happened again

296 of 619 (2,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 7:08:56 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by imonandroid on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:10:20 PM

My mom's phone is also having this same issue.

We as customers have PAID you AT&T to have reliable phones that won't fail us. GOD FORBID someone in my family has an ermergeny and can't contact my mother or she can't contact one of us because her phone wouldn't work.

She is using her phone under your contract and I would hold YOU responsible.

She was told there would be an update in a couple of weeks (She was told this almost 3 weeks ago). I think you either owe her an update or a different phone.

[ Edited ]
297 of 619 (1,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 9:49:22 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 23, 2013 at 11:26:48 AM

I rooted on the 14th, and installed jelly bean on the 16th. No SODs, no problems and the phone runs great. I am currently at 23 hours 10 minutes since last charge and have 55% battery.

This is the first phone I have rooted obviously out of pure need since my service provider won't take care of its customers, and it seems only because they do not want to admit they made a mistake. It sucks that companies are just like people are becoming....so scared to admit that they made a mistake so they run around chasing their tails trying to blame someone else. People make mistakes, it's ok. But the responsible thing is to own up and correct the error (which would be extremely simple to have an"update" that just installs the last working update that worked for the phone THAT ALREADY EXISTS).

[ Edited ]
298 of 619 (1,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 3:05:15 PM
(0)
Explorer
I just got my replacement gs2, and guess what? SOD, as expected. I can't afford to miss any more calls from work. AT&T, YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!!! Release the JB update or domething. This problem has already cost me too much money. I will be calling, and expect a different fix than another gs2 that will keep doing the same thing.

299 of 619 (1,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 8:28:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

Add me to the list of customers with the Sleep of Death problem.  Same symptoms as described throughout this thread.  Seems particularly bad when network connectivity is intermitent or switching between wifi/3G.  Only appeared after 4.0.4. upgrade.  Need a fix - phone turning off has resulted in missing a number of important work phone calls and this can't continue.

300 of 619 (1,667 Views)