The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Update, my phone hasnt had a SOD since last friday evening. I have disabled all att apps, and I do a restart every morning. Battery is better than it has ever been. its been off charge since 5 am and at 4:30 its at 74% and yes I have been using it off and on all day.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

Tidegurl,

It's hard to tell from the thread since some stuff seems to get deleted.  But did you root your phone?  

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

No, I have not rooted/flashed. Last Monday nite I did a factory reset, after that I just started disabling all att apps, got rid of apps I dont use etc. and do a restart every morning. last sod was 1 time on friday evening.

I will say that after the factory reset on Monday, tues had 1 or 2 sods, wed I think was 1, thurs none, friday 1, It was friday I started disabling apps I think, or thurs.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

Had SOD today in the middle of texting during a business transaction.   Nice.  I had to go find a land line to complete the sale.   Thanks AT&T.   I also found out that after a SOD episode I lose all of my custom ringtones.   Fun.  Now I get to reset all of these on top of not being able to depend on what was a perfect phone before 4.0.4.  

How about an upgrade to Jelly Bean.  I see that other company's are upgrading.   I've been with AT&T, both business and personnel since the Cingular days.  Looks like I'm done and looking for another provider.    Over two months with a known, published, and talked about problem with no solution or assistance.  Oh and did I mention that we have had the privilege of continuing to pay our monthly bill while not receiving the service we are paying for.  Did I already say Nice!!!!!?   Why yes I did.

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I haven't had an SOD in about a month now. This is what I did and I posted this early in the thread.

‎01-26-2013 03:58:24 AM

This worked for me:

1. Settings, factory data reset. Back up before doing this. I thought it would reset to GB but it reset to ICS 4.04

2. Reinstall my apps.

3. Delete any battery saving apps like Juice defender or battery indicater apps.

4. Uninstalled updates, cleared data and then disabled all ATT apps like Att Smart wifi, code scanner,family map, hot spots navigator, Qik lite, social hub, google play books magazines movies and tv and google+, Live TV , Movie hub. i dont use any of those apps anyways. Also delete any apps you don't use. Why have them if you dont need them.

Since then I also disabled the extra clock and calender. I also shut off the wifi when I'm not using it and I shut off the phone every night.  I have not rooted my phone.

It looks like Tidegurl did the same as I did. Has anyone else had luck with doing this?

Although my Gs2 is working for me I still believe we should not have to find a fix for this problem ourselves. ATT and or Samsung should have a fix for the SOD issue! I will not renew my contract with ATT and I will never buy another Samsung product again!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I am using my old phone 😞

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

@FMontoya, thats pretty much what I have done
So far so good.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

While the workarounds are doing a decent job of preventing an SOD, you shouldn't have to turn your phone off every day or reboot it every day or do anything out of the norm. AT&T just needs to fix the problem. Btw, still no SOD after rooting and flashing the new rom.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Lets not be mistaken, it's not a Samsung problem.... it's an AT&T problem.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.