Posted Jul 6, 2012
12:21:36 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
618 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(618)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 7:32:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have received my two "refurbished" S2's. My third and my wife's second. Set mine up and I did not have a SOD yesterday, will set up wife's today. However, half of the apps I use do not work. What an absolute failure. If our phones didn't have a few months of warranty left I would definetly go flash to 4.0.3 or Jellybean.

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

241 of 619 (3,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 8:54:51 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:42:14 AM

FYI:

Randall L. Stephenson

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer AT&T

It's time for everyone to send him a letter of complaint.  He won't read them, but maybe the sheer volume of complaints will get them off their collective behinds to fix this more than minor disruption in service.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
242 of 619 (3,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 9:50:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:52:45 AM

I have tried almost every "solution" in this post with little success; disabling all AT&T apps seemed to do the most, but SOD still happens. 

However, I recently rooted my phone. Since rooting (and doing nothing else...using the same kernel and everything) I have not had a sleep of death. I'm not optomistic that this is a perfect solution (and I'm sure now that I said this I will have a sleep of death), but my GS2 does seem to be slightly more reliable now. 

Even if you're not technogically savvy, it is extremely easy to root your phone. I'll post back if I get a sleep of death, but so far so good - it's been 5 days without one. 

[ Edited ]
243 of 619 (3,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 9:53:05 AM
(0)
Teacher
Look back one of my post, i have the direct number to that office, I talked to his Secretary personally.

244 of 619 (3,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 11:26:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

245 of 619 (3,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 2:33:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
Well my phone didn't last 24 hours before the first SOD.

246 of 619 (2,971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 3:14:36 PM
(0)
Explorer

@terrylmorris, if your still around plz check your pm box.

247 of 619 (2,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 3:40:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

As someone posted above...after only rooting my phone, leaving everything else the same, my phone did not SOD in two days.  I kept checking my phone (as I have grown used to because of the random SODs) and every time I was suprized to see that it was still on!

I then wiped it and am now running 4.1.2 and its like a new phone, loving the multi-window.  Cant comment on battery life or anything else, but so far its looking great.

248 of 619 (2,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 7:03:20 PM
(0)
Explorer

I found this on Samsung sites, I think everyone should download it and flood them with ? and help...it says they care so lets see how much they do! tweet them too @SamsungSupport, I have them tweeting with me now about the issue.

Download The Samsung CARES Android App to track repairs, upload receipts, and learn more about your Samsung products June 13, 2012

No title

Click  here  to download the Samsung Cares from the Android Market. 

App  Description

Samsung  Cares brings you support while you are on the go! The seamless navigation makes  it easy for you to find out everything you need about your product. Check out  our FAQ’s, How To Guides, How To Videos and more. If for some reason you can’t  find what you are looking for, simply tap the contact button to connect with  us anytime on Facebook, Twitter or Live Chat.

App  Highlights:

• Our     FAQ and How-To Videos have everything you need to help troubleshoot your     Samsung product.
  • Track     your service status.
  • Connect     with us through Facebook, Twitter, Chat and more.
  • Watch     live streaming videos from SPSN.
App Screenshots

249 of 619 (2,894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2013 6:01:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was talking to @samsungsupport and they suggested that I do a factory reset. Seemed like people in the forum had already tried that so I have yet to take the time to backup and do that myself. Also went into the AT&T store today and the guy was basically blaming Samsung, saying that if a factory reset doesn't help, then Samsung will need to be contacted. Ok thanks, guy.

250 of 619 (2,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2013 8:31:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 17, 2013 at 9:10:06 PM

As I predicted, immediately after saying that rooting prevented SOD, it happend within an hour. That being said, I have only had one sleep of death in the past week, so I don't think it hurt anything.

[ Edited ]
251 of 619 (2,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 5:59:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

geetarplayer wrote:

OK, my countdown starts now. I just flashed an alternative ROM. I'll let you know how it goes. Since I've have strings of a week or more of false success, I won't consider this fixed until I see it working for a month.

Just an update on my status... it's been 18 days, and no SOD.

252 of 619 (2,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 6:32:27 AM
(0)
Mentor
If you can roll it back to the 4.0.3 software I think you will find you have zero SOD's. I'm right at 30 days on mine with 4.0.3 and no SOD.

253 of 619 (2,561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 10:30:53 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by geetarplayer on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:32:53 AM

For search engines:

Samsung Galaxy S2

S II

SOD

sleep of death

freezes up

freeze up

feezeups

shutdown

shuts down

gets hot

feels hot

feels warm

gets warm

remove the battery

replace the battery

won't start

black screen

hold in the power button

ics

random

randomly

notice

[ Edited ]
254 of 619 (2,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 1:45:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

So I've done better since disabling the two clock apps suggested, and google books, magazine, movies tv, qlik lite, and google+.   (I had disabled most of the ATT apps previously).

I went 13 days with only two SODs.--which like someone else stated, still points to the 4.0.4 update.

Still unacceptable, because yesterday I woke up w/ a dead phnoe, battery completely drained, and I had to leave without the benefit of being able to charge the phone, guess what, due to the SOD.  So I had to drive with an uncharged phone, charge it a bit during the duration of my drive, arrive at a location where I didn't have the benefit of continuing to charge it so that I could use it..   This is NOT why I have a cell phone--completely useless.

I cannot believe that this problem is being ignored so profusely.

This is not a bad coverage issue, this is a real issue with equipment and software provided by ATT/Samsung, which directly disrupts the service and equipment we all pay for.  Since all of us on this thread have ATT-provided phones and service, then the ball is on AT&T's court, and it doesn't seem to be moving anywhere.

This thread should not be marked as Solved.  There is nothing Solved about this.

255 of 619 (2,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 1:57:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Best bet.....switch to Verizon!  My family has 5 lines all of which have different upgrade dates.  So, we're waiting until all 5 contracts are complete (no early cancellation fees) and then we're making the move to verizon.  This is only one of the problems that I'm having with AT&T.  Reception is also rediculously bad and I live within City Limits.  It seems obvious from the thread that ATT doesn't care or simply don't know how to fix these issues.  They're ranked dead last in customer service.

256 of 619 (2,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 5:58:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

For those who have rolled back to 4.0.3 following the instructions on galaxys2root.com, how did you get the required software? When I go to download Odin, nothing happens, I keep clicking the Download button (the real one, I think, not one of the billion ads), and it just reloads the same page; nothing ever downloads.

This experience with the sleep of death has really soured me on Android, Samsung, and AT&T. If I can get out of this mess and buy an unlocked phone, how are those OS updates handled? The thing is, I never again want to be dependent on AT&T for issuing fixes, or dependent on their 12-month late updates to come out. I don't want to spend a lot of time "managing" my phone, though, so I don't think I want to mess much with custom ROMs. But at this point, I don't foresee any possible action AT&T could take that would ever make me trust that they will be able to resolve critical issues in a timely manner. I'm done. I want my phone to work without having to spend hours scouring the Internet for kludgy workarounds. I'd happily pay up front for a phone if it means I don't have to deal with this nonsense.

257 of 619 (2,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 6:49:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

dontodd wrote:

For those who have rolled back to 4.0.3 following the instructions on galaxys2root.com, how did you get the required software? When I go to download Odin, nothing happens, I keep clicking the Download button (the real one, I think, not one of the billion ads), and it just reloads the same page; nothing ever downloads.

Oops, I figured it out. You have to type something in the box that appears to be an ad before clicking the download button. I thought it was just a trick to get me to click an ad.

258 of 619 (2,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 7:48:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

Took my GS2 to the local service center today.  The customer service rep didn't want to hear anything about a support forum on the AT&T website.  Lol.  She wasn't bashing the site.  She just didn't care to check that there's evidence that the SOD is related to the Android update.  They seem to have a protocol they have to follow, regardless of what the issue is.  That protocol is to do a factory reset.

She did mention that the update they have is different than the update we received over the air.  So doing the factory reset and installing their version of the update "should" fix the problem.  We shall see.

259 of 619 (2,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 9:03:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'd like to add my name to the list of people who will never deal with AT&T again as a result of this problem. Until this update, I never had a problem with the company and they were incredibly helpful with all issues that arose. However, I now find myself with an unreliable phone that AT&T refuses to acknowledge has a problem and/or fix, and being censored every time I post for being as vague as everyone else in when referring to potential solutions and calling into question the utility of a company that watches their forum closely enough to scan every post but pretends as if problems don't exist. In the event that previous sentence gets deleted, I'll simplify my feelings by reiterating that:

1. My phone is now unreliable (I've almost missed meetings because of it)

2. AT&T isn't handling this problem...at all

3. My experience on this forum has convinced me to take my business elsewhere

*Original post contained four sentences and three bullet points

260 of 619 (2,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 5:49:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

261 of 619 (2,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 2:38:06 PM
(0)
Explorer

Update, my phone hasnt had a SOD since last friday evening. I have disabled all att apps, and I do a restart every morning. Battery is better than it has ever been. its been off charge since 5 am and at 4:30 its at 74% and yes I have been using it off and on all day.

262 of 619 (1,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 3:13:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

Tidegurl,

It's hard to tell from the thread since some stuff seems to get deleted.  But did you root your phone?  

263 of 619 (1,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 3:18:10 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Tidegurl on Feb 19, 2013 at 3:27:50 PM

No, I have not rooted/flashed. Last Monday nite I did a factory reset, after that I just started disabling all att apps, got rid of apps I dont use etc. and do a restart every morning. last sod was 1 time on friday evening.

I will say that after the factory reset on Monday, tues had 1 or 2 sods, wed I think was 1, thurs none, friday 1, It was friday I started disabling apps I think, or thurs.

[ Edited ]
264 of 619 (1,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 3:57:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

Had SOD today in the middle of texting during a business transaction.   Nice.  I had to go find a land line to complete the sale.   Thanks AT&T.   I also found out that after a SOD episode I lose all of my custom ringtones.   Fun.  Now I get to reset all of these on top of not being able to depend on what was a perfect phone before 4.0.4.  

How about an upgrade to Jelly Bean.  I see that other company's are upgrading.   I've been with AT&T, both business and personnel since the Cingular days.  Looks like I'm done and looking for another provider.    Over two months with a known, published, and talked about problem with no solution or assistance.  Oh and did I mention that we have had the privilege of continuing to pay our monthly bill while not receiving the service we are paying for.  Did I already say Nice!!!!!?   Why yes I did.

265 of 619 (1,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 2:44:42 AM
(0)
Explorer

I haven't had an SOD in about a month now. This is what I did and I posted this early in the thread.

This worked for me:

1. Settings, factory data reset. Back up before doing this. I thought it would reset to GB but it reset to ICS 4.04

2. Reinstall my apps.

3. Delete any battery saving apps like Juice defender or battery indicater apps.

4. Uninstalled updates, cleared data and then disabled all ATT apps like Att Smart wifi, code scanner,family map, hot spots navigator, Qik lite, social hub, google play books magazines movies and tv and google+, Live TV , Movie hub. i dont use any of those apps anyways. Also delete any apps you don't use. Why have them if you dont need them.

Since then I also disabled the extra clock and calender. I also shut off the wifi when I'm not using it and I shut off the phone every night.  I have not rooted my phone.

It looks like Tidegurl did the same as I did. Has anyone else had luck with doing this?

Although my Gs2 is working for me I still believe we should not have to find a fix for this problem ourselves. ATT and or Samsung should have a fix for the SOD issue! I will not renew my contract with ATT and I will never buy another Samsung product again!

266 of 619 (1,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 3:48:24 AM
(0)
Tutor
I am using my old phone :-(

267 of 619 (1,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 4:01:07 AM
(0)
Explorer
@FMontoya, thats pretty much what I have done
So far so good.

268 of 619 (1,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 5:09:37 AM
(0)
Tutor
While the workarounds are doing a decent job of preventing an SOD, you shouldn't have to turn your phone off every day or reboot it every day or do anything out of the norm. AT&T just needs to fix the problem. Btw, still no SOD after rooting and flashing the new rom.

269 of 619 (1,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 5:11:29 AM
(0)
Tutor
Lets not be mistaken, it's not a Samsung problem.... it's an AT&T problem.

270 of 619 (1,737 Views)