The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Scholar

• 

106 Messages

11 years ago

I have had problem since 4.0.4 update... screen won't come on, nothing happens... when this occurs, I just hold down the power button until the phone reboots.

This is my first smart phone... I like it a lot. But I am leaning heavily to the opinion that my future smart phones will not be bought from carriers. It may cost more up front, but I think I will like it better that I am free of carrier's OS and software decisions.

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

For some resson, my earlier post has been deleted. I just talked to a rep. She said they will send me a replacement. If this problem continues on the replacement, I will have to insist on replacing it with a phone of similar value. I cannot afgord to kerp missing out on getting called in to work.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

It seems that the *fix* they said was coming today must not have been communicated to the AT&T CSR's because they're still offering replacement phones. First TonynMisty was told there would be a fix on the 15th, then in the next phone call, TonynMisty is being offered a replacement phone. Are we being placated by some reps?

Is anyone having any different experience with their replacment phones? Are they being sent with 4.0.4?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

+1

Its been almost 2 months and it doesn't seem to be moving forward.

Its amazing to see so utter disregard for customer pain and issues. What is AT&T (or for that matter any company) worth without its customers. Not sure what it would take for AT&T to sit up and take notice of this obviously widespread issue.

My phone just shuts down arbitrarily and I do not even know about it. Now that I know this happens, I have started checking my phone often just to make sure its on. Its turning me paranoid day by day and I think I have just about have had it. I am quitting AT&T forever and I will make sure that I do my bit to spread the word and take as many with me as possible.

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

It has been almost two weeks since I re flashed back to 4.0.3 and the phone has worked flawlessly!!!!! Life is good!!!

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I got my call back from Att CSR, when he first called quess what!! phone was asleep..he called me back 30 mins later and thats when I started my rant..he tried to find me a tech center near me, there was none. So then we started talking replacement, phone out of warranty..then talked early upgrade..got that approved...so we talked galaxy 3, for 199..heck no...I'll ride the contract out with this worthless phone ...and move my almost 200 bucks a month to another carrier..so then the s3 came down to 199 with a 99 rebate,,no that dont work for me..I still have to pay 199 out of pocket..I ask how much to buy my 3 phones out of contract...he then got me approved for S3 FREE...free overnite shipping, and no activation fee..So I quess you can say Att made me happy. He did say a fix is in the works...I hope you all get this resolved soon.

Good luck to you all!

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Hmmm... for some odd reason, my post from a few days ago disappeared???

Anyway... update to current status.  Still having random SOD with no predictability that I've detected.  This points CLEARLY to a flaw in the OS or the OS in combination with something else being loaded by Samsung/ATT/??. 

But, just to make myself feel better, I keep trying turning things off or disabling.  So, here is my status as of Friday 2/15/13.

Only turn on when using:

GPS

WiFi

Never turn on:

Sync

All Power Saving Options

Disabled Apps:

ATT Code Scanner

ATT Family Map

ATT Hot Spots

ATT Navigator

ATT Smart WiFi

Buddies Now

Clock (the odd extra one)

Dual Clock

Exchange Services

FaceBook

Media Hub

Movies

myATT

Social Hub

Social Hub (another piece?)

Synchronize

I noticed a couple of Samsung Kies apps installed and running.  I stopped them, but could not disable them.  Kies is a programming MESS.  It is notorious for messing up your PC so wonder if it affects the phone badly too?  I install it only to take a backup before getting a new phone then unistall it on my PC.  Best way to use it.

Let's see if I can make it a day now  :O(

Hope this post survives...

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Terrylmorris posted a few back that he rolled his phone back to 4.0.3 and has had no problems for TWO WEEKS!  WOW!!

Can you post directions or directions to directions for doing that?  Sorry if they are buried somewhere back in the HUNDREDS of posts about this.  If so, please point me to them.

Thanks

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

11 years ago

Had 3 random freezes today. It's amazing how I can be using the phone, set it down for a minute and it's frozen. This is really making me hate this phone that I have loved to this point. Any time frame for that update yet AT&T?

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Hi Maavalous......Check my notes posted on page 7 of this thread. I used the procedures and software found on GalaxyS2root.com. They have step by step instructions along with a video of the procedure. I am a novice and I had no trouble. Good Luck!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.