Posted Jul 6, 2012
12:21:36 PM
Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

618 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(618)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2013 9:29:33 AM
(0)
Voyager

Adding my voice to the chorus.  As for everyone else, this started happening with the 4.0.4 upgrade.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.  With 4.0.3, Bluetooth syncing with my Toyota was broken.  I lived with that for 6 months waiting for the 4.0.4 upgrade.  The upgrade fixed the Bluetooth issue, but I am now experiencing the SOD.  It happens once or twice per day on average, although yesterday I think I saw it 5 times -- I lost count.

So, I can now listen to my music/audio books in my car -- :smileyhappy: -- assuming my phone stays up during my drive -- :smileymad:

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

211 of 619 (2,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2013 10:20:38 AM
(0)
Explorer

@leblanc61

Your problems can easily be fixed by doing a "factory reset". Oh wait.... just kidding. Seriously though, that is all anyone here claiming to be an expert is going to tell you to do.

If jamileh spent an hour looking at the messages on this forum like I have, she would see that there are literally hundreds of people with AT&T Galaxy S2 phones experiencing identical symptoms of the "sleep of death", ie. phone getting warm, requiring a full boot sometimes more that once a day. Jamileh though has decided that being naive and acting like this isn't occurring is the best approach. However, you may just as well call all of us stupid.

My contract ends this fall and I have been with AT&T for over 10 years. I am not renewing. Jamileh, are you going to ask me again to just tell you what my trouble is? Reread this post. There is a big problem with version 4.04 update! Period! Read all the messages and that is evident. Now why AT&T chooses to instruct all the CSR's to ignore this and pretend that everyone has a different problem and that a factory reset is all that is needed (sorry, that did not work along with all the other magic fixes).

I may end up going to a company that is no better but at least AT&T won't get my money and it's ok if they don't care. That attitude does not win in the long run. Look at Rim (Blackberry).

212 of 619 (2,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2013 10:38:51 AM
(0)
Mentor
After not seeing the SOD for days at a time, for the last 4 days it's been every day, several times a day. It's getting worse, for me at least.

213 of 619 (2,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2013 10:42:11 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Feb 13, 2013 at 10:42:40 AM

Please review the thread and look for my posts in it. I have both acknowledged and responded to the issue in question. 

I am sorry that you're having this issue but this type of dicussion is neither helpful nor constructive. 

Please review the Community Forum Guidelines so you can productively participate in our community. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
214 of 619 (2,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2013 2:19:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just spent over 2 hours on the phone with Customer support and there is still no fix available, I told her I wasnt interested in a warranty phone and that I tried the master reset etc..etc.. etc... and nothing works, I told her about the patch that was mentioned in earlier posts and she said she dosent know anything about that, but that dosent mean that there isnt something in the wind, needless to say I told her that since I cant use my phone 50% of the time that I wanted a 50% service credit. low and behold she went a step beyond and gave me a months free service and told me that if there isnt a fix by the end of the month to call back and ask for her specifically and we will go forward from there.

215 of 619 (2,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2013 3:33:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

Please refer to my post #168 for details on what done so far.  Basically, disabling software and waiting to see how long before it goes SOD.

I'm up to over a dozen SOD on TWO phones... ATT sent me a new one once already.  Clearly, they have no idea how to fix this so they are stalling.

Today, after 3 full days from all the software disabling I did... boink SOD.  I was sad, thought I was making progress   :smileysad:

So, now, I have turned off all Power Saving Mode features.  NO power saving, that I can find, is turned on.  Theory:  Since it's a SOD, perhaps it has to do with the app managing power and sleep modes.  Hard to say. 

If anyone is an expert on the power saving apps and features they might help by chiming in on  1) what are ALL the critters involved  2) have they already tried this and it didn't help?

I can NOT believe ATT has not found a fix for this... I guarantee you there are thousands of us out here suffering. 

Stay tuned...

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode - UPDATE #1

216 of 619 (2,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2013 6:08:39 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by smenard415 on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:11:03 PM

Dear AT&T,

Not to be a horses behind but - how about you folks Please review the 300 complaints and customers begging for help so you can productively participate in our community.  Oh yes, that we pay for and expect to deliver a reliable and usable service.

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode - UPDATE #1

[ Edited ]
217 of 619 (2,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 6:36:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

Adding my voice to the chorus. If ATT/Samsung knows what is happening then could they please share with us.

218 of 619 (2,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 6:54:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

Agreed, the stock build needs a crash log.

219 of 619 (2,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 7:29:31 AM
(0)
Explorer

> re: asking for credit

What a great idea, I must admit that this maybe the most efficient way forward.

I am going to call ATT and make a similar request, or tell them to give me a phone that works, like a Galaxy S3

This issue breaks the essense of the device, the ability to receive calls. If I can not receive phone calls,

what the point? I hate to admit it, but every phone has and will have software and hardware issues, but

ability to receive phone calls is where one should draw a line.

I highly recomment that all with this problem do following:

1. create an account on this forum and leave a message for ATT

2. call and request credit

good luck

Max

220 of 619 (2,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 7:42:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

Please remove the check mark, this issue has not been fixed at all, i finally recieved my 3rd pone, with 4.0.3 and running very well, not sod, drop callls, ect..

221 of 619 (2,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 8:10:23 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I understand and have explained that the accepted solution mark in this case is to highlight the current status of this issue. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

222 of 619 (2,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 8:58:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just talked to the warranty department, again, they said they did not know of the issue. I laughed and asked for her boss. He offered for me to drive to a tech center, 30 miles away, or have two replacement phones sent out. The replacement S2's would be my third and my wife's second. He said Samsung has a fix coming in a "couple weeks." I am not surprised by the ineptness of this company, definitely moving to a new provider when the contract is up.

Sorry to rant but I know you guys understand this "non issue."

223 of 619 (2,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 9:03:41 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Npl on Feb 14, 2013 at 9:14:04 AM

I am experiencing these issues as well.

A review of the community manager's posts in this thread, explaining why the issue is marked as "Solved!"

jamileh wrote:

01-23-2013 11:55:00 AM

Hey guys...

Great news

We worked with Samsung to research this issue and a fix will be available in the coming weeks. I don't have any specific dates just yet but as soon as I do, I'll post them here.

I want to note that this is a direct result of you discussing this issue in the forums and telling us what you are seeing. Great job.

--------------
02-05-2013 01:41:13 PM - edited ‎02-05-2013 01:42:24 PM

Hello,

I replied to your private message on 2/4/13 at 1:33PM, about 2 1/2 hours after you sent it. As of now, it shows unread so please click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner to read that and any other private messages waiting for you.

--------------
‎02-05-2013 02:18:21 PM

I cannot give you information that is not available. I'm sorry that I don't have additional details to provide, I wish I did.

When I do have news, I will update this thread.

--------------
‎02-13-2013 12:42:11 PM - edited ‎02-13-2013 12:42:40 PM

Please review the thread and look for my posts in it. I have both acknowledged and responded to the issue in question.

I am sorry that you're having this issue but this type of dicussion is neither helpful nor constructive.

Please review the Community Forum Guidelines so you can productively participate in our community.

--------------
02-14-2013 10:10:23 AM

I understand and have explained that the accepted solution mark in this case is to highlight the current status of this issue.

Additionally, the following is from the Introducing Accepted Solutions!:

"We have added a feature to the community that we are very excited about and believe will be very useful for you. It is called Accepted Solutions.

Accepted Solutions will benefit both members seeking answers and those helping to provide them. If you are looking for an answer to your question by browsing through thread titles, you will be able to see a "Solved" icon next to posts where members have accepted a solution. Also, when you do a Search on the Community, you will also be able to see by the "Solved" icon if the post has an Accepted Solution. This will assist you to more quickly find the solution to your question, if one has been found.

If you are helping other members by answering questions, you will be able to see from the "Solved" icon if the member has already received a solution. You can then focus on threads not marked "Solved"."

[ Edited ]
224 of 619 (2,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 12:42:48 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by TonynMisty on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:57:24 PM

When I called the other day, the operator told me that the update should be here by tomorrow, the 15th, and they would be in touch with me around 3:00. He implied that if the fix wasn't out by then, I'd be eligible for a replacement, as I am missing calls, some from work, which if I miss my call in time, costs me about $200 (that has already happened once). I will talk to them at that time, but if all GS2 phones are acting this way, I feel I should be eligible for a replacement phone of similar value, such as HTC One X, for example. If they say the price difference is too much, let Samsung pay for it, they have already cost me more than the cost difference between the two phones.

[ Edited ]
225 of 619 (2,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 12:57:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

Jamileh,

You have received excessive criticism in this thread, that as you mention is neither constructive or helpful.  But Npl does make a good point.  Your reason for why the thread was marked as "Solved" doesn't make sense.  From the Forum guidelines, Accepted Solution means exactly what it says.  Your explanation of marking it Solved to highlight the status seems it would do just the opposite of highlighting.  Per the forum's description it would bury it, because it was marked as "Solved".

Perhaps what you meant is that it is marked as solved, to notify other AT&T community managers that you are already working on it?  If that is the case I can see how there could be confusion between forum members and forum admins.  The use of "Solved" could have different meanings to the two different groups.

226 of 619 (2,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 1:33:08 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by MarkinCA on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:33:51 PM

I'm adding my voice to this thread in case ATT cares.

I've had this issue start right at the end of december with the 4.0.4 update.  Previously, my device was great after 4.0.4 every day I find it has gone into sleep of death mode.

I've been desperately checking this forum (every day!) and every other online source for a solution.  I've tried all the proposed solutions (disable att apps, double clock, etc) to no avail. 

My phone is out of warranty, and my contract isn't up so I am particularly !@#$ .  When I called ATT for help, the first agent told me they'd send me a replacement but the 2nd one realized I'm out of warranty, so my only option given was to buy a new phone with minimal subsidy since I'm not due for an upgrade either.  Anyway, I previously loved this S2 and don't want another phone, I just want this one to work again!

So ATT, this is a popular model of phone.  Please know there are certainly many many people out there like me that didn't want to bother to register but are still checking this column and others desperate for a solution.  And getting angry.  Please please please help.

Lastly, checking this item 'solved' just adds to all our frustration. The appearance, rightly or wrongly, is that ATT is being dismissive of this serious problem.  I respectfully suggest you reconsider if it is helping or hurting to have it checked.  Of course, better yet, please get the 4.0.4 issue fixed and leave it checked.

[ Edited ]
227 of 619 (2,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 4:43:40 PM
(0)
Explorer

so after the att csr and I did the factory reset on Monday, on Tues I had about 3 SODs. Wednesday none! Today none so far, but  this morning I disabled/forced closed a lot of att apps, I didnt use the phone til after I was at work a few hours and discovered no internet connections. Oopss something I disabled unchecked packet data??

Anyway the att csr is suppose to call me back tomorrow to do a follow up. I'll see what she has to say.

228 of 619 (2,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013 8:25:32 PM
(0)
Explorer

229 of 619 (2,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 10:30:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Adding my phone to this pile of 4.0.4 issues. Since December, when that update came out, the phone is having the SODs that everyone's been talking about.

I think normchar in #226 stated the situation well. Is there any kind of time estimation for how long looking into a solution can take (whether a fix is found or not)?

230 of 619 (2,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 10:36:16 AM
(0)
Scholar
I have had problem since 4.0.4 update... screen won't come on, nothing happens... when this occurs, I just hold down the power button until the phone reboots.

This is my first smart phone... I like it a lot. But I am leaning heavily to the opinion that my future smart phones will not be bought from carriers. It may cost more up front, but I think I will like it better that I am free of carrier's OS and software decisions.

231 of 619 (2,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 12:21:31 PM
(0)
Explorer
For some resson, my earlier post has been deleted. I just talked to a rep. She said they will send me a replacement. If this problem continues on the replacement, I will have to insist on replacing it with a phone of similar value. I cannot afgord to kerp missing out on getting called in to work.

232 of 619 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 12:43:03 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Linda Jo on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:05:12 PM

It seems that the *fix* they said was coming today must not have been communicated to the AT&T CSR's because they're still offering replacement phones. First TonynMisty was told there would be a fix on the 15th, then in the next phone call, TonynMisty is being offered a replacement phone. Are we being placated by some reps?

Is anyone having any different experience with their replacment phones? Are they being sent with 4.0.4?

[ Edited ]
233 of 619 (1,971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 1:50:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

+1

Its been almost 2 months and it doesn't seem to be moving forward.

Its amazing to see so utter disregard for customer pain and issues. What is AT&T (or for that matter any company) worth without its customers. Not sure what it would take for AT&T to sit up and take notice of this obviously widespread issue.

My phone just shuts down arbitrarily and I do not even know about it. Now that I know this happens, I have started checking my phone often just to make sure its on. Its turning me paranoid day by day and I think I have just about have had it. I am quitting AT&T forever and I will make sure that I do my bit to spread the word and take as many with me as possible.

234 of 619 (1,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 3:10:20 PM
(0)
Explorer

It has been almost two weeks since I re flashed back to 4.0.3 and the phone has worked flawlessly!!!!! Life is good!!!

235 of 619 (1,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 5:52:49 PM
(0)
Explorer

I got my call back from Att CSR, when he first called quess what!! phone was asleep..he called me back 30 mins later and thats when I started my rant..he tried to find me a tech center near me, there was none. So then we started talking replacement, phone out of warranty..then talked early upgrade..got that approved...so we talked galaxy 3, for 199..heck no...I'll ride the contract out with this worthless phone ...and move my almost 200 bucks a month to another carrier..so then the s3 came down to 199 with a 99 rebate,,no that dont work for me..I still have to pay 199 out of pocket..I ask how much to buy my 3 phones out of contract...he then got me approved for S3 FREE...free overnite shipping, and no activation fee..So I quess you can say Att made me happy. He did say a fix is in the works...I hope you all get this resolved soon.

Good luck to you all!

236 of 619 (1,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 6:44:03 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Maavalous on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:49:12 PM

Hmmm... for some odd reason, my post from a few days ago disappeared???

Anyway... update to current status.  Still having random SOD with no predictability that I've detected.  This points CLEARLY to a flaw in the OS or the OS in combination with something else being loaded by Samsung/ATT/??. 

But, just to make myself feel better, I keep trying turning things off or disabling.  So, here is my status as of Friday 2/15/13.

Only turn on when using:

GPS

WiFi

Never turn on:

Sync

All Power Saving Options

Disabled Apps:

ATT Code Scanner

ATT Family Map

ATT Hot Spots

ATT Navigator

ATT Smart WiFi

Buddies Now

Clock (the odd extra one)

Dual Clock

Exchange Services

FaceBook

Media Hub

Movies

myATT

Social Hub

Social Hub (another piece?)

Synchronize

I noticed a couple of Samsung Kies apps installed and running.  I stopped them, but could not disable them.  Kies is a programming MESS.  It is notorious for messing up your PC so wonder if it affects the phone badly too?  I install it only to take a backup before getting a new phone then unistall it on my PC.  Best way to use it.

Let's see if I can make it a day now  :smileysurprised:(

Hope this post survives...

[ Edited ]
237 of 619 (1,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 6:46:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

Terrylmorris posted a few back that he rolled his phone back to 4.0.3 and has had no problems for TWO WEEKS!  WOW!!

Can you post directions or directions to directions for doing that?  Sorry if they are buried somewhere back in the HUNDREDS of posts about this.  If so, please point me to them.

Thanks

Question on going back to 4.0.3

238 of 619 (1,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2013 9:10:57 PM
(0)
Mentor
Had 3 random freezes today. It's amazing how I can be using the phone, set it down for a minute and it's frozen. This is really making me hate this phone that I have loved to this point. Any time frame for that update yet AT&T?

239 of 619 (1,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 16, 2013 1:08:21 AM
(0)
Explorer
Hi Maavalous......Check my notes posted on page 7 of this thread. I used the procedures and software found on GalaxyS2root.com. They have step by step instructions along with a video of the procedure. I am a novice and I had no trouble. Good Luck!

240 of 619 (1,724 Views)