The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Sounds like everyone that has gotten replacment S2's still experience the problem after it makes you update to 4.0.4.  

Mine continues to work with no shut downs or freezes for over a month now.  Rooted with factory 4.0.3. I think the rooting keeps it from automatically updating to 4.0.4 which is saving me.  Easy fix for AT&T might be to turn the 4.0.4 update off and let people roll back to 4.0.3. Even better, go ahead and give us Jelly Bean that works.  

Still amazed that as easy as this is to understand, AT&T still offers no solution.    

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I'm betting a lot of people just upgraded and got a new phone. Or may just be dealing with it thinking thats the way it is.

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I went by my Att store today, no help whats so ever. I cant even upgrade til Sept, because last march they started making you go 20 mths. Phone just went out of warranty too! They did suggest calling Samsung but on Samsungs site their # is missing a didgit. Go figure!

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

@geetarplayer

Typically, the number of people that actively complain or take action on a problem are a fraction of a percent of those that actually do have the problem. In this case, if there are a hundred people complaining about this problem, in all likelyhood, probably 10,000 phones out there have the problem. Not all elderly folks or kids know enough to complain to a forum, etc. Many people just don't do anything.

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

After trying all different suggestions regarding this issue, it appears that the only effective solution is to flash the phone back to 4.0.3. I did this using the procedudure and software tools found on GalaxyS2Root.com. I did this about a week ago and have not had one crash/SOD episode since. I think that I will not EVER upgrade the firmware on this phone again. I hope this note helps the rest of you.

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I just hung up from Att tech support, was told there is no way to roll back to 4.0.3. They seem to think during upgrade it didnt download/install properly. So going to do a factory reset. Then I'll try the flash thing! And i know nothing about how to do it! #callmechicken!

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

@Tidegurl, I tried that on mine, spent hours doing it, then it still crashed like always. When I finally got fed up I followed the GalaxyS2Root.com procedure to roll back to 4.0.3.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

How can this be marked as solved when only "a fix will be available in the coming weeks"!!! Until it is actually fixed please uncheck that it is solved!

Ziad

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

When the H is the fix coming?  I, like everyone else here is fed up.  Are you listening ATT/Samsung/Google?  If I am forced to go to a new phone, I plan on going to a new carrier as well.  Are you listening ATT?

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

@Tidegurl.....Just as a further note.....The procedure for rolling back to 4.0.3 is extremely well explained on the GalaxxyS2 website. They even have a video for the SGH-i777 taking you through it step by step plus all of the required software . The only additional tip that I would give is to do a factory reset BEFORE you do the flash procedure. That way you dont have to worry about any lingering files interfering with the reboot after completing the flash operation. BTW... the correct 4.0.3 file to use is the one with SGH-I777 UCLE5 in the title.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.