The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

reflashed with 4'04 by att on the 7th. And disabled any processes that looked like ATT crap.

The phone lasted 48 hours and just had the SOD. A lot better, but not fixed apparently.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

Well, it's been 4 days since I did:

"....disabling the two clock apps suggested, and the google books, magazine, movies tv, qlik lite, and google+."

and have not had a SOD....

Maybe it is the two clock apps after all..

Remaining hopeful....

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Smiley Frustrated So, for the last couple of weeks, I've only had the SOD once every 3 or 4 days; but today I am back to frustrated with this issue. I charged my phone overnight (as usual) and it was at 100% when I took it off the charger. Within a few minutes it went to the SOD and when I rebooted, the battery was at 75%.

Come on AT&T - solve this issue with Samsung. The Samsung Galaxy series is the most popular in the world according to a new report. Get it right for the S2 users!

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I'm having the same problem, mine seems to be mostly when I'm away from wifi, its about to get old tho, they need to come up with a fix like fast.

dont wont to do a wipe out.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@Tidegurl wrote:

I'm having the same problem, mine seems to be mostly when I'm away from wifi, its about to get old tho, they need to come up with a fix like fast.

dont wont to do a wipe out.

Note that a wipe out is not going to fix this. Even a new phone is not going to fix this. We've narrowed it down to ICS 4.0.4 as the cuprit. If you can get back to 4.0.3 and STAY THERE, you will be ok. Either root the phone and do it yourslef, or some have been able to get the ATT Service Center to do that for them. 

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

is there any update for this problem from ATT? Both of our phones is shutting off often! When contacted ATT is offering us refurbished phones but i am not sure whether i should g owit hit. Phones are only 6 months old!!!

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

Would someone from AT&T please remove the fixed check mark.  This ignored, non addressed software nightmare is far from repaired or fixed.   FIX THIS PROBLEM PLEASE!

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

11 years ago

My wife finaly got a replacement device sent out... We are done with this phone!

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Hi,

I am also the lucky owner of a Galaxy s2 which is shutting down spontaneously. It is obvious that this is a REAL problem and it does not help that JAMILEH says that something MIGHT be in the works. I have never seen a company dodge responsibility for a problem like I have seen here. AT&T is failing to take any ownership of this problem. My phone NEVER had any issues until about 3 weeks ago (ver 4.04) ... now it shuts down, gets warm, requires a reboot, etc. at least every other day. I replaced the battery to no avail. AT&T should certainly be working with Samsung on this issue and at a minimum be letting the customers know that it is a REAL problem and they are looking into it.

Mark my words, whether I get this resolved with a firmware update or not, I will NOT be renewing my next contract with AT&T. I will also never consider AT&T Uverse or any DSL product or any service they offer. Why do business with them if they will avoid all responsibility for problems?

As far as posters on this forum.... please do not post your "fixes" if they have not worked for a week or better.  A fix that lasts 18 minutes is likely not a fix at all.

Thanks... I just wanted to make sure my name was on this forum for this problem.

Bob

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

If *all* S2s were doing this, it would be in the news. But it's not. I'm wondering what percentage of them are doing it, and what is unique about those phones. 

Does anyone know someone with an S2 that has not been having this problem at all? (I don't). Maybe compare the version info in the "About Phone" page.

Further - about being in the news... can we get this into the media somewhere? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.