Posted Jul 6, 2012
12:21:36 PM
Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

618 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(618)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2013 9:06:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello All-

As suggested by another post on this forum, there are two Clock app on my SGS2 Android 4.0.4.  I forced stop the one that uses no memory and disabled it.  I also disabled the Dual Clock app.  By disabling these two apps, my SGS2 seems to be healthy again.  It has been two days without the random shut off problem.  I can't say this is THE solution, but it works on my phone.  My two cents....

BTW, I also disabled all ATT apps.

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 11:00:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have the same, extremely frustrating behavior.  The 4.0.4 update installed over the air for me.  I have done a factory reset and full reformat.  Nothing, still experiencing the turned off screen freezing (SOD) issue randomly, once/twice a day.  I've also tried to pace the reinstallation of apps that I use to see if something fixed it, nothing.   This did not happen with 4.0.3.

I have Wifi turn on on my phone most of the time.   (And I also have a microcell.  And the reason I have to keep wifi on is because the microcell accelerates battery drain battery on 4G, and not a fix in sight for a problem that has been known and recognized for over a year).

What will happen if I call support is that I'll get the same story as others, let's exchange the phone, send you a refurb one, and the problem will still be there.

My last attempt effort before embarking on the downgrade to 4.0.3. is disabling the two clock apps suggested, and the google books, magazine, movies tv, qlik lite, and google+.  (I had already disabled the AT&T apps and it didn't fix the problem).

At this point, although always hopeful, I have a feeling these apps don't make a difference.  I think the issue is really between the OS software, the phone's wifi state, and the sleep state. I do know that the problem isn't specific to AT&T, because if you google around, you will see that at least Virgin and Vodafone have the same issue.  But, that doesn't shift ultimate responsibility from AT&T since my phone is an AT&T-branded Samsung and they should interact w/ Samsung and/or Google to try to fix what is clearly a non-isolated situation caused by a firmware update.

I will not accept that an S2 is a "legacy" phone and cannot be fixed.  Not asking for JB, simply asking for a reliable phone.  I don't see any fruitful mechanism to ignore my two year contract because a problem that is not caused by me could be resolved by "upgrading" my phone.   In the car industry, this is called a lemon.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 11:22:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

The att moderator "Jamileh" who posted on Jan 23 at message no 98 in this string seemed to imply a fix was in the works. But in typical att fashion there was no date and no word on what the problem was. I sent her a private msg with my email and phone no but no response. Kind of rude

I will note that if this cropped up in the update from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 (as some suspect) it was pretty recent problem then. I could not swear this was a 4.0.4 issue. it does seem to be on wifi only but again thats where my phone spend most of its time

I wish I had left the refurb phone at 4.0.3 as it came from samsung but I let it auto update to 4.0.4. oh well live and learn

Also of the 3 att tech centers I visited none admitted to seeing ad s2 with this issue. amazing But they sure did have lots of refurbed s2's to hand out. makes you wonder

as for the micro cell I am glad I did not get one of those just to make up for att's crappy 3g coverage at my house and non existant 4g lte. You talk about lies those att LTE maps are fraudulent.!!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 11:28:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

Anyone who takes their phone in to a service center should print out a copy of this thread and take it with them. Better yet, we should throw a BBQ and each of us can invite our respective Service Reps to come out, and we can introduce them to each other, and let them know that yes, there are others who have this problem. Apparently, AT&T has no means of communicating common customer problems intra-company.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 11:34:04 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:38:14 AM

The only thing that gives me solace is that all other telcos and big cos are just as ** up. Look at HP. Now there is a well run co. My brother worked there and said they could lay off 50k people and never notice they were gone.

On an individual basis the att people are pretty good. they try but its very bad decion making at the top by the "stock price inflators" that ** up the company. Hey how can we boost our stock price today over verizon? I know lets send out a press release that the lobbiest sugests! Lets says some cr_p about LTE or U verse that we know is false...

sorry to get off topic

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 11:41:13 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:42:24 AM

swh-usa wrote:

The att moderator "Jamileh" who posted on Jan 23 at message no 98 in this string seemed to imply a fix was in the works. But in typical att fashion there was no date and no word on what the problem was. I sent her a private msg with my email and phone no but no response. Kind of rude

I will note that if this cropped up in the update from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 (as some suspect) it was pretty recent problem then. I could not swear this was a 4.0.4 issue. it does seem to be on wifi only but again thats where my phone spend most of its time

I wish I had left the refurb phone at 4.0.3 as it came from samsung but I let it auto update to 4.0.4. oh well live and learn

Also of the 3 att tech centers I visited none admitted to seeing ad s2 with this issue. amazing But they sure did have lots of refurbed s2's to hand out. makes you wonder

as for the micro cell I am glad I did not get one of those just to make up for att's crappy 3g coverage at my house and non existant 4g lte. You talk about lies those att LTE maps are fraudulent.!!!

Hello, 

I replied to your private message on 2/4/13 at 1:33PM, about 2 1/2 hours after you sent it. As of now, it shows unread so please click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner to read that and any other private messages waiting for you. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 11:57:14 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 5, 2013 at 12:10:24 PM

In order to to arrive at a solution we need to know what causes the problem. Is it only 4.0.4 on only the s2? Or is it other phones? Is it wifi? what triggers it? Is there an accepted work arround we can use until the fix is issued? Will the fix auto download or not? Will the ix be in 4.0.5 or just a "patch"  If these cannot be answered then I am fearful that a fix is a long way off. Not just "weeks" (2- 50 weeks?)

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 12:09:24 PM
(0)
Mentor
You really don't have to be an IT person to see based on these threads that 4.0.4 is causing the problem of the sleep of death.

Has anyone that posted in this thread ever have the sleep of death when they were on 4.0.3 or earlier?? I know I didn't, and haven't since I have been back on 4.0.3.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 12:18:21 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

swh-usa wrote:

In order to to arrive at a solution we need to know what causes the problem. Is it only 4.0.4 on only the s2? Or is it other phones? Is it wifi? what triggers it? Is there an accepted work arround we can use until the fix is issued? Will the fix auto download or not? Will the ix be in 4.0.5 or just a "patch"  If these cannot be answered then I am fearful that a fix is a long way off. Not just "weeks" (2- 50 weeks?)

I cannot give you information that is not available. I'm sorry that I don't have additional details to provide, I wish I did. 

When I do have news, I will update this thread. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 12:45:39 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 5, 2013 at 12:48:04 PM

There are at least three separate threads on this topic. The moderator has only posted on one of them. I have no idea what is causing the problem or how to fix it. I see some people in other threds that said it was a pre 4.0.4 problem. But knowing that its just 4.0.4 does not help unless there is some att approved way to go back to 4.0.3. Rooting the phone not an option for me as it voids warranty and I hear those people have their own sets of problems. I am begining to think the smart phone thing is not so smart unless you are a phone co charging for the data

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 1:25:35 PM
(0)
Explorer

My S2 as well as my wife's S2 started shutting down by ltself in the recent 3 weeks... Really annoying as i missed few calls as well as morning alarms!!! Called customer care and they said they have power recycled and connected to a new network and this should solve the problem...... Nothing fixed it! Still we are seeing the problem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2013 1:49:06 PM
(0)
Mentor
@jamileh, I think we all appreciate the fact that you have come here and told us that AT&T and Samsung are working on the issue. However, it is quite obvious that this is a big problem and from a paying customer viewpoint, AT&T isn't giving it enough attention.

Just to give you some examples of the kinds of issues this bug causes for us CUSTOMERS:

1) I had to be to work early this morning. On a typical day, I wouldn't worry too much about my alarm not going off because I would likely wake up on-time anyway. I was concerned last night and at about 4am I woke up, so I check my phone...it was frozen. For next 2 hours I barely slept because I kept thinking about that P.O.C. phone.

2) I was running late getting home from work. My wife had asked me to stop at the store. As I walked into the store I sent her a text message asking if there was anything more she needed. When I got home, I realized my phone had frozen and I never got her text. Now I am the P.O.C. who didn't get what was needed.

You see, AT&T and Samsung all want us to buy into this crazy image that we NEED these phones to live our lives. We pay hard earned money to be able to afford them and use them on a network that isn't always the best for us, but we deal with the negatives. WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH A P.O.C. SYSTEM UPDATE THAT BREAKS OUR PHONES.

You know what I would love to see? AT&T going back to $15 minimum data plans at 200MB. I would also love to see a NO DATA Plan option for Smart Phones that are no longer under contract. I'm pretty sure that will never happen and it probably won't cause me to switch carriers, but this P.O.C. system update and AT&T's lack of caring about it will.

end rant

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2013 3:54:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

I got tired of my phone SOD-ing every few hours.  I missed calls, texts, and alarms...  Flashed to AOKP JB 4.1.2 and am loving it so far.  No bloatware, just a pure Android System... :smileylol:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2013 6:06:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

I heard most 3rd party ROMs won't support MHL (usb-to-hdmi) or 64 GB microSD cards.  Can you comment on these and other items that you've found not to work in your new ROM, please?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2013 8:55:19 AM
(0)
Voyager

Here is one possible solution I am trying now. For about 18 hours, I didn't see the issue again.

It seems like it's power down/idle related issue per all the postings up to now. So I tried to overwrite the power down/saving scheme by:

Settings/Power saving/Custom power saving - ON

Custom power saving settings/Power saving starts at - 10% battery power

The thing I tried to achieve was by setting above configs the auto power saving/power down is not activated and only activated when there remains ony 10% of battery. I hope it overwrites the power saving mechanism that triggers the death. For the last 18+ hours I haven't got any issue yet. Hope this is the workaround of this issue.

Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2013 8:57:41 AM
(0)
Mentor

Hchoi_293726 wrote:

Here is one possible solution I am trying now. For about 18 hours, I didn't see the issue again.

It seems like it's power down/idle related issue per all the postings up to now. So I tried to overwrite the power down/saving scheme by:

Settings/Power saving/Custom power saving - ON

Custom power saving settings/Power saving starts at - 10% battery power

The thing I tried to achieve was by setting above configs the auto power saving/power down is not activated and only activated when there remains ony 10% of battery. I hope it overwrites the power saving mechanism that triggers the death. For the last 18+ hours I haven't got any issue yet. Hope this is the workaround of this issue.

Thanks!

That sort of makes sense... and is worth trying. Good idea. I do know that, one time, mine froze up over night while it was charging. So, that would rule out the power saver feature as the culprit.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2013 9:04:12 AM
(0)
Mentor
Mine froze once 30 minutes after taking it off the charger at 95% + so I doubt it will be a 100% fix. Might help for when the power drops. Mine just became too random, didn't matter what my battery life was it might go dead for no reason.

Would love to see everyone that has not had the sudden death in over 3 weeks to post what their solution was.

For me, almost 4 weeks, no SOD & I haven't restarted. Rooted and rolled back to stock 4.0.3. Only AT&T apps disabled or forced closed. I did not uninstall any updates.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2013 3:15:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

OK... add my voice to the chorus!!

I actually caught this after only having the phone for 6 months so I have already had them send me one new phone.

The new one was made in Korea... the first one in China.

Upgraded to ICS Android (4.0.4) and that is ALL I did.

Both phones have been the "CLK3" build after ICS upgrade.

It worked fine for 2 weeks... like the first one... then started doing this.

I honestly think it is caused by something ATT is pushing down to the phone when we are not looking and they know it and won't admit it cause they don't know how to fix it.

So...

Currently testing disabling the following apps:

the "0 memory" clock, Dual Clock, FaceBook, both Social Hub apps, Movies... last 3 cause I just don't use them.  Yes, there are stil people on this planet NOT on FaceCrook  :smileysurprised:)

I am leaving WiFi off unless I am using it... and this was the case before so unless turning WiFi off still leaves something running in the background, that is NOT the problem.

Synch is off as well.

I turn on GPS only when using it as well.

I only have a few months left on warranty so I'll give it a week or two and report back.  Then, yep, they are going to send me new phones every couple of weeks until the warranty expires or they admit the problem and fix it. 

Why not... missed calls and dead phones are a MUCH bigger issue to me than a dozen phones are to A$&$.

Stay tuned...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2013 4:06:55 PM
(0)
Voyager

Just a status update: About 24+ hours, for the 1st time in the last couple of weeks, the phone is OK w/o any shutting down. Before this, my phone sometimes went to dead during idle, during even charging, during even 1 minute idle, etc and it became worse and worse. But now after config power saving as posted earlier, it's still ok. I tested idle, charging, etc and looks ok. I don't know the details but it seems like this customized power saving option blocks the dead mechanism. Hope it keeps going on. I will keep updating.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 6, 2013 4:34:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

I don't use a 64gb microsd, my 32gb one works fine.  I do not use MHL either..  sorry.  Google Play is working fine after installing gapps.  Had to install Flash 10 from the .apk, but other than that, the oether GP apps installed from the web just fine.  I've only been running it for about 24 hours now, so I'll check back in periodically and let you guys know if I find anything that isn't working as expected.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 3:33:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

Finaaly got a 3rd phone and it runnning ICS 4.0.3 and working nicely.

How do I shut off auto update, I do not want it to update to 4.0.4 again.

also my family has different phones and report that after the upgrade to 4.04 ICS they having SOD issue.

I have tried all fixiesposted here, even the fix I posted because i thought it fixed my phone but was wrong.

So I have a 3rd phone that att sent me with 4.0.3 and running good.

Please tell e how to uncheck the auto update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 5:59:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

Here is another follow up:

In almost 4 weeks, my phone shut down only once! (as opposed to several shut downs a day before that).

In my case, I disabled all AT&T applications and I only turn on wi-fi (or GPS) when I need it.

Ziad

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 9:34:17 AM
(0)
Voyager

Again an update. 48 hours. No problem yet. At least up to now, happily enjoy the power of ICS w/o any problem. Happy.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 10:37:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

I know its a pain... but for those that are saying their phones now work, take the extra minute to say what you did to make it work.  even if its just copying and pasting from your last post.

I have also had the problem since upgrading.  I have turned att apps off, the clock, this and that and no luck.  Today I had it re-flashed with 4.04 at the ATT store because thats all they said they could do.  I explained the problem and she would/could not roll it back to 4.03.  Its only been about an hour or two, but we'll see.  In addition, I also disabled most of the apps that appeared to be ATT ones and the additional clock app.  I was getting 1-3 SOD's a day, I know it hasnt worked for others, but I will post up if/when the problem continues.

The service person also said that she had not heard of the problems before and I told her that there was plenty of information on the ATT website about it!  I know what I was saying was falling on deaf ears, but at least I tried.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 1:11:11 PM
(0)
Teacher
After the reflash from ATT, My phone kept on trying to update an ATT phonebook, which I did not want it to do. It would pop up once in a while and I was not able to uncheck the sync button since it was greyed out.

Called ATT and the guy did some voodoo over the phone and said I would need to wipe it (again) and they would re-install 4.04 again since there might be a corrupt file... again. If that didnt work, it was probably a phone issue and it would be replaced.

I explained that it was a problem with 4.04 and not the phone. So looks like I will be upgrading to 4.03 myself. No SOD issues, but its only been a few hours.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 5:47:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

Greetings all,  Two points.   I checked back into this thread as it is check marked as solved.   I do not see any official problem solved statement from AT&T or any do this kind of direction from same.  Today, after charging my phone to 100% I got in my truck and after sometime I noticed that my Bluetooth connection was not working.  Sure enough the phone had entered the dreaded sleep of death.  I rebooted the phone, which was now at 85% charge by the way, when low and behold I see the Android Dude spinning on my screen with the words Android Updating.  I was going 55 MPH at the time so that's all I saw.   Rebooted my wife's phone when I returned home in hopes of seeing it on her phone no such luck.   SO.......is there an official fix????   Did anyone else see an Android update screen today?????

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 5:55:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
This thread is marked as "solved"? I didn't notice that. That's pretty funny. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2013 6:48:40 AM
(0)
Explorer

hi there,

why is this thread marked as solved? there is no solution so far... please go ahead and mark it appropriate. thanks.

palani

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2013 10:31:19 AM
(0)
Teacher
Reflashed with 4.04 at ATT service center and disabled any running applications that looked like ATT.

So far its been 24 hours without SOD. I have only loaded a few apps I needed and changed a few settings other than killing Att apps. Only problem remains to bethe ATT phonebook updating by itself and no way to stop it or turn it off. Doesn't seem to slow anything down, I just see the sync icon for it once in a while.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2013 12:28:39 PM
(0)
Voyager

Add me to the list of users with this problem.

"Customer Support" has replaced my battery twice.  The second time was a month before my warranty expired, obviously because they knew it was cheaper than replacing the phone or fixing the problem.  I put up a fight about it stating it was the second battery, and that they should replace the phone, but I was told it was the protocol they had to follow before a new one would be issued.

When I complained a few weeks later about thesame issue, they basically was told too bad, you're out of warranty, contact the insurance.  The "best" they could do was to offer me an upgrade.  I did neither.

AT&T is well aware of this issue, so the bait and switch of replacing batteries when they know there is another problem  is inexcusable.  I, and others, have been with them far too long (former Cingular customer), and the GSii was the only reason I broke my staying off contract and signed for two years.  I'm sorry I did.

When my contract is up, I will consider another carrier.  In the mean time, this issue needs to be fixed.  If I'm going to pay the insurance $199, I may as well go to Walmart and buy the Straight Talk that runs off AT&T for $299 and get a new phone.  Why have insurance if you're paying that much out-of-pocket?

Sign me,

Taken-for-a-Ride Consumer