The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

I just called to see if I could get a JB release date from ATT. "We don't know". Incredible.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

I tried the clock trick when I was still on 4.0.4 and mine still crashed.  Almost 14 days now for me on 4.0.3 with no reboots and no shutdowns.  I think the only way we will get JB is rooting and doing it ourselves.  The S4 will come out soon so they want to sell us all new phones.  The S2 is still a great phone and so much better than an Iphone when its working right.  

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I  too have all the problems discussed here - Galaxy S2 battery drain and sleep of death. I also have lost Bluetooth capability to work with SYNC in Ford. Will this also be fixed by the forthcoming update? I sure hope so.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

2 months Ive been dealing with this.....

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Anyone else receive notifications of several more messages (including 2 from a moderator) that are now inaccessible?

Now I'm really curious!!

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

It would seem that not only can we not get a fix it appears as though now we are being censored and posts are being removed.  Nice we are all begging for help and this is the response.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I did the exact same thing. It seems working. I am posting detailed steps here for anyone who is interested, Please tell us whether this solved your problem.

Please backup everything on your phone memory before you attempt this. This will wipe out your phone completely.

1. Open Samsung Kies as Administrator

2. goto Tools -> Firmware upgrade and initialization

3. Enter the model name SGH-I777 (in all upper case letters)
4. Enter the Serial Number of your phone. This can be found under the batter.

5. Click OK. Then you need to accept the warning and it will tell you which firmware it is going to flash onto your phone. It will be 4.0.4. Accept that as well.

5. It will download the necessary files. At this point you can shut down the phone and remove the battery and re-instert the battey.

6. The while pressing the volume Up and Down keys simultaneously (Not the power button) plug the USB cable. Your phone should boot into download mode. It will display a message Downloading..... on the screen.

7. Start Upgrade button on the Kies upgrade screen should now be activated. If not, you may need to reinstall the USB drivers for i777 and may need to reinstall Kies.

8. Once you hit Start Upgrade button, it will start download the proper firmware from the web and then start sending it to the phone. You will see a progress bar in the phone as well. Sometimes it could give you an error similar to "DLL load faliure..." If that happened, try change the Compatibility mode of Samsung Kies to Windows Vista SP2 and run in Administrator mode. This can be done by right clicking on Kies icon and selecting Properties --> Compatibility tab.

9. Once the Kies finish transfering the firmware to the phone, the phone will start installing it and once finished, it will reboot. 

10. I also factory reset the phone after the upgrade by booting into stock recovery console. You can shut down the phone, press Volume UP + DOWN together and press power button without releasing the volume keys. Then select Factory Wipe and hit Power button.

11. I desabled all the AT&T bloatware anyway because I don't like them and use them anyway. I don't know that was the case because it didn't help me earlier.

Now my phone works as it used to be. 4.0.4 seems to have a good battery life even with WiFi switched on all the time. Earlier if I keep WiFi on for few hours it completely drains my battery. I am happy with my phone again.

Thanks scot070 for the wonderful tip.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the detailed instructions, neshadha. 

I'm a little stumped by the fact that replacing the firmware with the exact same firmware version fixes the problems. Interesting. I wonder if it will degrade over time. Hope not.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Well, I thought I was out of the woods. Not that there was anything I did to fix it, but I just went 6 or 7 days at least, with no problems. Then just now, froze up.

If I don't see JB drop within a week, I'm rooting this thing and installing something that works.

AT&T - first opportunity I get, I'm going to Verizon. Thanks for nothing.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

@geetarplayer wrote:

Well, I thought I was out of the woods. Not that there was anything I did to fix it, but I just went 6 or 7 days at least, with no problems. Then just now, froze up.

If I don't see JB drop within a week, I'm rooting this thing and installing something that works.

AT&T - first opportunity I get, I'm going to Verizon. Thanks for nothing.

Pretty weird, geetarplayer, that today is the first day that I too found my phone off since I wrote that it was doing so well 4 days ago. We seem to be in sync 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.