Posted Jul 6, 2012
Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
3-29-2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

618 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(618)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2013
(0)
bmgoodman, check your wifi settings. Make sure "Keep wifi on during sleep" is set to "Always". I haven't had a problem with mine. I do have all the AT&T wifi apps disabled or forced close.

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2013
(0)

Hi, I've recently been having this probelm lately as well, and found the only solution to it is to ROOT my phone.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2013
(0)
Using samsung kies light i recently did a firmware replacement .lost my files but gained my phone back still running 4.0.4 but no shutdowns...bluetooth works....and battery life so much better ...question for att and samsung is why not suggest this in the first place?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

scot070 wrote:
Using samsung kies light i recently did a firmware replacement .lost my files but gained my phone back still running 4.0.4 but no shutdowns...bluetooth works....and battery life so much better ...question for att and samsung is why not suggest this in the first place?

What files, or kind of files, did you lose? I don't want to root my phone, but finding the firmware replacement sounds interesting. Where is the firmware replacement procedure outlined? Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

It has now been 4+ days since I flashed to this ROM, and so far, no "sleep of death" episodes.  I have rebooted on my own a couple of times, just for good measure, but no lockups so far.  My wife told me that once she heard it make the startup sound on its own, so I assume it rebooted once on its own, but otherwise, no problem.

Also, with this ROM, I was able to uninstall AT&T stock/factory apps, whereas with the other ROM's, I could only disable those apps.  I also uninstalled some of the preinstalled bloatware, such as Quiklite (or whatever it was).  Nice!  (It must not be a totally "official" version of ICS.)

My battery life seems much better, but I'm also using a different power saver, so it's probably not all the ROM, but it's still better.  I had been using Greenpower, now using Juice Defender.

So far, so good.  This is working out much better for me.

Mark

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

Sorry, I thought the previous reply would show the link.  Again, here's the link for the ROM I'm using now:

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-to-official-ics-on-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

Mark

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

I used the same ROM as alvamark.  I did do a reset before installing so it was clean.  I had also done that with 4.0.4 but it still had shut downs. 72 hours so far and not one shut down. I haven't done a reboot either. 13 hours of use yesterday and my battery still had 33% so I'm a happy camper.  I did not delete any apps, I did disable AT&T hotspots and Accuweather. Forced close on the other AT&T apps.  I'm not using any battery saver apps, just the factory one.  I do have Lookout installed.  Other than that, my phone is rooted but I have not changed any settings or deleted anything so this should not matter. 

It's obvious that if you want your phone to work even close to right you need to roll back to 4.0.3 or earlier.  Seems like AT&T could have told us this a long time ago.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

Hey guys...

Great news :smileyhappy:

We worked with Samsung to research this issue and a fix will be available in the coming weeks. I don't have any specific dates just yet but as soon as I do, I'll post them here. 

I want to note that this is a direct result of you discussing this issue in the forums and telling us what you are seeing. Great job.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

@jamileh - Thank you for taking action on this! Obviously, a lot of us will be monitoring this thread for updates on it.  And thanks for communicating what's going on, so we have some hope. :-)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

jamileh wrote:

Hey guys...

Great news :smileyhappy:

We worked with Samsung to research this issue and a fix will be available in the coming weeks. I don't have any specific dates just yet but as soon as I do, I'll post them here. 

I want to note that this is a direct result of you discussing this issue in the forums and telling us what you are seeing. Great job.

It's really nice to know that AT&T is reading their own forums. I spoke with the NICEST customer service rep on Monday and addressed that exact issue (along with the phone issues) and here it is a couple of days later and AT&T has popped in and acknowledged us.

Now we're all counting on you, Jamileh, to keep us in the loop. Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

It would be REALLY nice if AT&T kept an easily findable repository of legacy firmware such that a user could rollback an upgrade. 

My last ROM worked out well, but don't think I clicked "start" easily.  In the back of my mind I wondered if the ROM I was flashing had malware.  Even when I found the ROM, I did a lot of checking to see if the site seemed legit.  This is my first Android phone, I've never rooted a phone before, but the fact that there are so many versions floating around out there reminds me that we must stay cautious, and little paranoid.

There should be somewhere which doesn't take hours of searching to find how to roll back an upgrade.  Offering only to "fix it soon" isn't enough.  Luckily, forums like this do provide ways to learn about workarounds.

Now I'm feeling a tad remorseful; if there is such a repository, I never found it, and I did lots of searching, mostly to little avail.  If there is such a repository, my apologies for ranting. 

Mark

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

Great news that AT&T may have a fix coming.  Will be even nicer if its a Jelly Bean rom with no issues.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2013
(0)
Got my phone working great really impressed with battery life and so glad it doesnt shut down.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2013
(0)

Today was the worst instance of turning off and battery drain so far. Left for work with battery at 100% and 7 hours later the phone was off and when I rebooted it it was at 2%. Not a single thing was running in the background at all. No WiFi, no Bluetooth, no data, nothing.

What a terrible time for this to happen - just when all my siblings are here from out of town for our Mother's big birthday and it may be the last time the entire family is ALL together - and my plans for taking lots of photos and videos was foiled! Arghhhhhhh!

I hope Samsung is very busy with a fix. I'm trying to be patient.

If someone has found a real solution that doesn't involve rooting my phone or any other unadulterated fix, please post what you did. With my luck, if I tried to root my phone I'd probably brick it.:smileyfrustrated:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2013
(0)
Linda Jo, the only real fix seems to be wiping the phone and rolling back to 4.0.3. Mine has worked perfectly for 6 days now. Not a single restart. Battery life has been decent, I start using mine at 6:30am and all this week by 10:30pm I was still usually around 30%. Last night it was 15% but I had some heavy use. Depends on how much I use it which is usually a lot since Its my work phone too.

How you get back to 4.0.3 is the major problem. I've read that some have gotten the AT&T repair centers in their town to do it, Most have had to do it themselves. We shouldn't have to resort to this though, but right now I'm pretty happy with my phone again. You don't have to root the phone to do this but it is pretty technical.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2013
(0)

ablan59 wrote:
Linda Jo, the only real fix seems to be wiping the phone and rolling back to 4.0.3. Mine has worked perfectly for 6 days now. Not a single restart. Battery life has been decent, I start using mine at 6:30am and all this week by 10:30pm I was still usually around 30%. Last night it was 15% but I had some heavy use. Depends on how much I use it which is usually a lot since Its my work phone too.

How you get back to 4.0.3 is the major problem. I've read that some have gotten the AT&T repair centers in their town to do it, Most have had to do it themselves. We shouldn't have to resort to this though, but right now I'm pretty happy with my phone again. You don't have to root the phone to do this but it is pretty technical.

Thanks for that feedback ablan59. I have a repair center that I can get to, but I am really reticent to wipe my phone and set it up again. It's taken quite a long time to cusomize EVERYTHING after the last wipe a few months ago :-)

The other trade-off - I'm afraid if I have to reinstall all of my downloaded apps, I'll end up with all of the updates to the apps I chose not to update because they got such bad reviews.

It's something I'll have to think about - is it worth the trade-offs.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2013
(0)
I feel your pain. If the repair center will do the roll back on the rom, they may have a way to copy all your stuff back over but not sure. The apps do stay on Google Play so even when they are wiped, you only have to reinstall the ones you want and they will be the latest version. Contacts can be backed up on Kies or I have all of mine sync with my Gmail too. If rooted, Titanium Backup can do all of this I am told. Good luck!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2013
(0)

Hey guys,

New to the forum....... was looking for solution to this annoying problem!

Shuts off atleast 2 times a day.Some good days and some really bad days. Hopefully samsung and ATT will come with a fix soon.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2013
(0)
They're working on it. See post #98.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 25, 2013
(0)

Like everyone else, I've been suffering with the sleep of death.  This morning I took my phone off the charger and noticed what appeared to be yet another SOD power off. As standard practice, I held down the power button until it restarted and headed off to work. I pulled out my phone a little later and noticed the home screen had frozen. Judging by the clock widget, it had been that way for a little more than 30 mins. Again I held down the power button and waited for it to restart, only this time the screen just went black. Now I cannot get the phone to power on no matter what I do: remove battery, let charge via wall plug, swapped batteries with another phone, etc.. I am not sure what else to try. Any ideas or is my phone bricked? All of this with the ' *official* 4.0.4. What a joke...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2013
(0)

This worked for me:

1. Settings, factory data reset. Back up before doing this. I thought it would reset to GB but it reset to ICS 4.04

2. Reinstall my apps.

3. Delete any battery saving apps like Juice defender or battery indicater apps.

4. Uninstalled updates, cleared data and then disabled all ATT apps like Att Smart wifi, code scanner,family map, hot spots navigator, Qik lite, social hub, google play books magazines movies and tv and google+, Live TV , Movie hub. i dont use any of those apps anyways. Also delete any apps you don't use. Why have them if you dont need them.

I can't think of anything else I did. I havent had a SOD for over a week now!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2013
(0)

I tried everything to fix the SOD's on 4.0.4, and concluded it is not possible.  Don't have time to wait for AT&T/Samsung to fix it - very disappointed in them.

I've had the SuperNexus ROM running for week now, and it is wonderful! The phone runs better than it ever has: absolutely stable, and everything just works. No crapware, just Nexus jelly bean goodness.

I'm using the SuperNexus ROM (JB 4.1.2, build 5, not the newest one with JB 4.2.1.   The newer one seems to be working through a couple of issues, and I just need reliability.

It was a little stressful for this amateur to learn and complete the root/ROM process, but well worth it. Guess I can at least thank AT&T for forcing me to learn to hack my phone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 27, 2013
(0)

i found this on XDA Forum.

after update 4.0.4 my phone now goesinto SOD(sleep of death)

heres what i learned.

dmtucker wrote:

I tried everything to fix the SOD's on 4.0.4, and concluded it is not possible.  Don't have time to wait for AT&T/Samsung to fix it - very disappointed in them.

I've had the SuperNexus ROM running for week now, and it is wonderful! The phone runs better than it ever has: absolutely stable, and everything just works. No crapware, just Nexus jelly bean goodness.

I'm using the SuperNexus ROM (JB 4.1.2, build 5, not the newest one with JB 4.2.1.   The newer one seems to be working through a couple of issues, and I just need reliability.

It was a little stressful for this amateur to learn and complete the root/ROM process, but well worth it. Guess I can at least thank AT&T for forcing me to learn to hack my phone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 27, 2013
(0)
Go into settings menu and ckick applications,
click the all tab
find the clock app, the one that come defualt on s2, not one from play store
there will be 2 entries of the same clock app
both have a disable buuton, but one may be greyed out.
click the disable button on the clock app were it is active, then go to other clock app and click clear data
now reboot phone.

It appears that the update caused a 2nd appearance of the clock app, causeing havoc and and worlwide hysteria.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013
(0)

Without doing anything different to my phone, suddenly it is auto-syncing again with my home bluetooth and no SOD for the last several days. Battery is also draining at a "normal" rate again. Anyone else notice sudden improvements?

I did what angeleye50 said to do too, just in case that improves things too.

I'll update again in a few days to see if everything is still working well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013
(0)

YES - I am having a string of good days also. It's been 5 or 6 days with no freeze-ups. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013
(0)

Wow, my phone stayed at 100% for 4 hours while in standby mode and is still at 98% at 5 hours.  I did not do anything different than any other day when the battery would be down to the low 80's% or worse by now, except disable the one clock this morning that angeleye50 recommended.

Still no SOD.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013
(0)

I disabled the clock but my phone still crashed.

Jelly bean released in Spain, wonder when it will be released here ?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013
(0)
My money says you will NEVER see Jelly Bean for the AT&T Galaxy SII.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013
(0)
It's important to AT&T that in addition to NOT helping customers with issues like these that NOBODY ELSE be permitted to help, either! At least not on their official forum.