Posted Jul 6, 2012
12:21:36 PM
View profile
Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 29, 2013 7:27:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

As some of you have already noted, an update is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII. 

The update includes fixes for devices that may become unresponsive and/or power down while sitting idle on rare occasions. It also enhances security to protect against malware vulnerability. You will receive a notification on your phone to update. 

NOTE - You must have updated to Android version 4.0 to receive notification of the new software update

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
618 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(618)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 8:11:27 AM
(0)
Mentor

I just found this:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/287118-samsung-galaxy-s2-randomly-turning-off

This is the post with a fix:

Udis Jan 4, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I had the same problem for few weeks since I have bought the phone (ICS 4.04 version).

I have found out that the cause for the problem in my case was the alarm clock!

So you need to freeze the android clockpackage.

I have used System Tuner application to do this (my phone is root) since freezing a system task requires the phone to be rooted

(I don't know if there is an application freezing system tasks without the need of the phone to be rooted)

Then I installed another clock alarm application from google-play for my usage.

I have verified that this is indeed the problem by unfreezing the clock task after a week without problems and then within a day the phone turned itself off. Again I have freezed the task and since then 2 weeks and I don't have the problem.

I hope it will be helpfull for you too.

Re: Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

61 of 619 (4,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 9:45:41 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for the clock info.  I just disabled mine.  Will see if it works and update tomorrow sometime.

62 of 619 (4,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 9:50:01 AM
(0)
Mentor

Can you disable the clock without rooting the phone?

63 of 619 (4,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 9:52:30 AM
(0)
Mentor
Yes. I just did mine. Only problem may be if you need to use it for an alarm clock all the time you may have to use another clock program. I could live with that if it works. To be determined.

64 of 619 (4,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 10:04:41 AM
(0)
Mentor

How did you disable the Clock app?

65 of 619 (4,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 11:35:15 AM
(0)
Mentor
Well, it didn't work anyway. Phone has already shut down a few minutes ago. Was better before I disabled the clock ap. Back to square one for me.

If you want to disable and try it, just go to settings, applications, all, then find the clock app. I have two for whatever reason. One I can disable and the other I can force stop.

66 of 619 (4,451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 11:37:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

Bummer. Ok, that's exactly what I did also. I guess I can expect to see my phone freeze up again then. we'll see.

67 of 619 (4,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 8:26:06 PM
(0)
Voyager

I went to an AT&T Device Support Center (this only works if your phone is still under warranty i.e. less than 365 days old, as mine is). There's a list of DSCs on the AT&T website, they are in most major metropolitan areas. They said they only had the "new version" of the OS, but it turned out to be 4.0.3, phew. They flashed it on my phone and also gave me a new battery in case that was the problem. Things have been fine since. You do have to backup everything you want to keep beforehand, as they will only backup your contact list. Everything else on your phone will be wiped.

I will never install another OS update from AT&T.

68 of 619 (4,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 4:54:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

Let us know how that works out, bratche79. I'm on my second phone also. I had this problem before even upgrading to ICS. Then I still had it after going to 4.0.3.

69 of 619 (4,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 10:15:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

It's infuriating that AT&T acts like they don't know there's a problem with this latest OTA update to ICS. One agent told me to check with Samsung and see if I could get JB. Samsung laughed and said they don't handle this - they develop the stuff and hand it off to the providers to add their *personal* touches and release it to customers.

I have elderly parents who are at their wits' end every day that they can't reach me because I don't know they're calling because the phone is off. They don't understand there's nothing I can do about it. I can't just change phones or carriers. It doesn't work that way in the world of contracts.

AT&T is in denial and it doesn't seem like there's a rush to patch or release JB. They're really testing a lot of loyal customers.

70 of 619 (4,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 6:50:24 PM
(0)
Teacher
I guess we will be looking into a different wireless carrier in a couple of months after our contract is up also.

71 of 619 (4,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 10:52:31 PM
(0)
Tutor
I hate to stick up for att yet it behooves me to let everyone know that all carriers are having same problem with the gs2 phone. Seems the phone will not wake . Mine did while talking with Samsung and yet I was still able to talk with Bluetooth but phone would not wake. I wonder if the glitch is in the programming of the wake? Phone doesn't shut off while in use as far as I can tell just when it goes to sleep or idle it will not wake. Anyone experience it shutting down while performing any tasks?

72 of 619 (4,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 12:31:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

scot070, if this is happening to al gs2 phones, then you have some valid points. However, if that is the case, then AT&T should be defending themselves here, not leaving it up to you to put 2 and 2 together.

I have not experienced any issues while I am in the process of doing something. However, there is more to this than just the wake issue. Most of the time, when I restart the phone, after the sleep of death, my battery status is totally f'd up. I go from 50% charge down to 5%. That is more than a wake function issue.

73 of 619 (4,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 1:06:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

Several that have rooted their phones have spoke up in other threads with zero issues so I don't think its the phone itself or they would be having the same problem.  

Mine went from 5pm yesterday till noon today, then shut down.  I felt it getting warmer 30 minutes before it shut down,  Battery did not drop that much at all.  I had all the AT&T apps disabled.  I was away from Wifi some so I was off of it, then shortly after I was back on wifi it shut down.  Not sure if there is anything there causing it.  Just seems too random.  Does seem to help my battery life a lot by shutting down AT&T apps.  

Thinking I may root mine this weekend.  Have nothing to lose at this point.  Worse scenerio I'll go back to my trusty Iphone 3gs and its slow speeds.  

74 of 619 (4,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 1:34:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

@ablan59 - are you saying there are people who had this problem, and then rooted their phone, and that fixed it?

75 of 619 (4,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 1:43:41 PM
(0)
Mentor
Yes, there were some replies on other threads where they said after they rooted they didn't have the problem. Maybe someone that has rooted theirs will chime in here.

76 of 619 (4,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

77 of 619 (4,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 9:41:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

The site below has links to reflash 4.0.3 to Galaxy S2 I777:

http://galaxys2root.com/att-galaxy-s2/how-to-unroot-to-official-ics-on-att-galaxy-s2-sgh-i777/

I did this a little while ago, and so far, it's on 4.0.3, NOT 4.0.4

Hope this helps!!!

78 of 619 (4,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2013 8:43:12 AM
(0)
Voyager

I have been having the same problem since I upgraded to android 4.0.4. I have shut down an app called Sim Toolkit. I had to do it by holding the home button until the list of recent apps came up. I swiped it off the screen to shut it down. Since shutting it down I have had 1 sleep of death in 5 days. I have discovered that the app will reactivate itself after a certain amount of time (a real PIA). Now I regularly check to make sure that it is not running. If it is I shut it off again. I do not see an option to disable the app in settings, or else I would do it there. I hope this may help. I will keep posting if the problem reappears.

79 of 619 (3,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2013 8:45:57 AM
(0)
Voyager

It's been 4 whole days since I got 4.0.3 reflashed on my phone by AT&T. I have not had a single abnormal shutdown and battery life is back to normal, but I never encountered major issues when my phone was on 4.0.3, so I don't know if this helps those of you who have had these issues since gingerbread. If your issues started with 4.0.4, it would probably help to somehow get your OS back on 4.0.3 - either officially through AT&T or doing it yourself with the link posted above.

80 of 619 (3,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2013 2:26:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

My S2 after grabbing a bunch of ATT updates from the google app store started randomly turning off. The device was working fine before the updates on 4.04. I just unistalled all the updates on the att apps, and hopefully the device will stop powering off with the battery being half drained as already reported. 

81 of 619 (3,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2013 5:13:10 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Linda Jo on Jan 20, 2013 at 5:15:27 PM

See message #70.

Forgot to mention that my phone no longer auto-syncs with my bluetooth home phone. I have to do it manually.... constantly, because the phone keeps shutting itself off more and more often recently and it has to be re-synced with every reboot.

Let's all call AT&T and ask them to push JB and make sure these issues are addressed in the JB update.

[ Edited ]
82 of 619 (3,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2013 5:42:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

Just an update that my S2 is no longer randomly shutting off or having the half drained battery issue after I unistalled all the recent updates to the ATT apps. 

Do not allow your S2 to update any build in ATT apps (ones by ATT) as the ATT apps seem to be the issue (at least for me) that caused the random reboots on the device with the battery issue.   My handset has been working great for almost 24 hours since i unistalled the updates for ATT apps!  

83 of 619 (3,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2013 8:51:03 AM
(0)
Mentor

desiguy wrote:

Just an update that my S2 is no longer randomly shutting off or having the half drained battery issue after I unistalled all the recent updates to the ATT apps. 

Do not allow your S2 to update any build in ATT apps (ones by ATT) as the ATT apps seem to be the issue (at least for me) that caused the random reboots on the device with the battery issue.   My handset has been working great for almost 24 hours since i unistalled the updates for ATT apps!  

Give it more than 24 hours and get back to us. I had already uninstalled all updates to all ATT apps weeks ago. The phone still randomly shuts off and no longer auto-syncs to my home bluetooth phone. It was all working great with long-lasting battery power (when not playing games), until the OTA ICS update from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 in December.

84 of 619 (3,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2013 9:05:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

I reflashed my phone back to 4.0.3 late Saturday night & rooted it.  Almost 24 hours later I have had zero shut downs.  Monitoring the battery to see if it holds up as well as it did on 4.0.4, but I'd rather have to recharge than my phone be off and not know it.  Will report back in a day or two how this is going.  

85 of 619 (3,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 8:15:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

So hows the fix working for you?

86 of 619 (3,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 9:01:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

48 hours in and no shut downs at all.  My battery is showing 89% and has been running since 6:15am this morning.  So right now, I am loving my S2 again.  

87 of 619 (3,669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 9:11:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

ablan59 wrote:

48 hours in and no shut downs at all.  My battery is showing 89% and has been running since 6:15am this morning.  So right now, I am loving my S2 again.  

Where did you get the 4.03 stock rom at?

88 of 619 (3,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 11:32:15 AM
(0)
Scholar
I took my phone back to an AT&T Device Center and they flashed it back to 4.0.3 from 4.0.4. I'm back to my original problem where wifi wont reconnect after sleep, but that's far better than having the phone "die" in its sleep!

What a HUGE disappointment this all is. It takes AT&T 6 months to cr@p up a new Android release and then they fix one thing and break another. I'm sure version 4.0.7 will fix the "sleep of death", but probably at the expense of breaking the transmission of all data, or something equally trivial (:rolleyes). Sigh.

89 of 619 (3,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 11:44:54 AM
(0)
Mentor
Scroll up on this thread and you will see a post with the details. I tried to post it but evidently the moderators here didn't like me posting.

90 of 619 (3,608 Views)