The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

I just found this:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/287118-samsung-galaxy-s2-randomly-turning-off

This is the post with a fix:

Udis Jan 4, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I had the same problem for few weeks since I have bought the phone (ICS 4.04 version).

I have found out that the cause for the problem in my case was the alarm clock!

So you need to freeze the android clockpackage.

I have used System Tuner application to do this (my phone is root) since freezing a system task requires the phone to be rooted

(I don't know if there is an application freezing system tasks without the need of the phone to be rooted)

Then I installed another clock alarm application from google-play for my usage.

I have verified that this is indeed the problem by unfreezing the clock task after a week without problems and then within a day the phone turned itself off. Again I have freezed the task and since then 2 weeks and I don't have the problem.

I hope it will be helpfull for you too.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the clock info.  I just disabled mine.  Will see if it works and update tomorrow sometime.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Can you disable the clock without rooting the phone?

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Yes. I just did mine. Only problem may be if you need to use it for an alarm clock all the time you may have to use another clock program. I could live with that if it works. To be determined.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

How did you disable the Clock app?

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

Well, it didn't work anyway. Phone has already shut down a few minutes ago. Was better before I disabled the clock ap. Back to square one for me.

If you want to disable and try it, just go to settings, applications, all, then find the clock app. I have two for whatever reason. One I can disable and the other I can force stop.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Bummer. Ok, that's exactly what I did also. I guess I can expect to see my phone freeze up again then. we'll see.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I went to an AT&T Device Support Center (this only works if your phone is still under warranty i.e. less than 365 days old, as mine is). There's a list of DSCs on the AT&T website, they are in most major metropolitan areas. They said they only had the "new version" of the OS, but it turned out to be 4.0.3, phew. They flashed it on my phone and also gave me a new battery in case that was the problem. Things have been fine since. You do have to backup everything you want to keep beforehand, as they will only backup your contact list. Everything else on your phone will be wiped.

I will never install another OS update from AT&T.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Let us know how that works out, bratche79. I'm on my second phone also. I had this problem before even upgrading to ICS. Then I still had it after going to 4.0.3.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

It's infuriating that AT&T acts like they don't know there's a problem with this latest OTA update to ICS. One agent told me to check with Samsung and see if I could get JB. Samsung laughed and said they don't handle this - they develop the stuff and hand it off to the providers to add their *personal* touches and release it to customers.

I have elderly parents who are at their wits' end every day that they can't reach me because I don't know they're calling because the phone is off. They don't understand there's nothing I can do about it. I can't just change phones or carriers. It doesn't work that way in the world of contracts.

AT&T is in denial and it doesn't seem like there's a rush to patch or release JB. They're really testing a lot of loyal customers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.