The Samsung Galaxy S24
SpartyOnK's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 6th, 2012 7:21 PM

Galaxy S2 shutting off in idle mode

Recently, I noticed that my phone shuts off while in sleep mode. This just happens when I don't check it for a while and the display is turned off. When I do go to check my phone, it's unresponsive, even if I hold down the power button. So far, I've had to remove the batter every time this has happened in order to reboot it.

I just don't get what the issue is. I'm probably missing phone calls because I'm not even aware that my phone is turning off. I feel like after the ICS update my phone has had issues. I already performed a factory reset last week since I was having a problem with the notifications not ringing and vibrating, and now, this is happening on top of that. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 i777.

Oh, and another thing, I noticed that my batter is at 95-100% before it shuts off by itself, and once it boots up again it's down to 85-89%. I also feel like it might be an issue with overheating: I noticed that my phone feels hot after I've been using it for a while, like texting or using the internet, and then I set it down to do other stuff when I notice that it's turned off. My phone usually feels really hot too, and the case I have for my phone probably does not help either. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Instead of disabling ATT WiFi Manager I did something like 'unistall update' from the applicaton list. Two days without powering off!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

i posted on 4.0.4 update issue. some of samsung solution mumbo jumbo. or Galaxy S2 4.0.4 update issue

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

This issue was occuring long before the update. It has been intermitent on my phone for months. With over 100 apps installed no telling if an app is causing the issue..Samsung support suggested starting the phone in safe mode and see if it occurs in safe mode...even if it doesent no way to pin point the app causing the issue. Safe mode also removes all widgets....I like the S2 fine..never wanted to upgrade to S3 want the S4 instead which is supposed to be out in June...but hate this constant battle of the device shutting down and I dont know its down till I pick it up to check messages...or make a call or text.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

Hi Ablan59 -

I think you are confusing "force stop" with "disable" when you say "Each time you restart or reboot the AT&T apps will start back up so they have to be disabled again".  If you actually disable an app, it will never start again, even after a reboot.

Go to system settings, applications and click the "all" tab.  Make it look like this, and you will see much improvement:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Solution-for-Galaxy-SII-SGH-i777-4-0-4-update-issues/td-p/3394917

regards,

Dave

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have had the same issues since the update as well. I've tried disabling the new bloatware but it still shut off overnight. I saw on another forum that someone managed to get AT&T to flash their phone back to 4.0.3 at a Device Support Center, so I'm going to try that in a few days if things don't change.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

11 years ago

dmtucker,
When I go to "settings", "applications" and "all", I do not see the same screen as you are showing. Mine is the same other than it doesn't show "disabled" or even enabled for that matter. I did find that AT&T Hot spot app had a disable button that I had not done. The other AT&T apps only have a "force close" on them. I pretty much had all the AT&T apps on force close but not the Hot Spot app. Somehow I had missed it so that may have been causing some of my shutdowns. Have it disabled today so going to see if that helps. I know all in all my battery life is 110% better than before and the phone is faster. Had two shut downs on Saturday night but none since so we shall see.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I got my SGS2 in feb 2012 and had no problems until around may/june

auto shut off 1\2 a month and then more often 2.3

Updated ICS, same problems  4.0

Disabled att apps same problems.

Auto shut off 3 times a week

I got it replaced at a repair center 3 weeks ago.

Disabled all att apps and updated 4.0.4

Auto shut off 3 times a week again

return to repair center got battery replaced

1 week without auto shut down

then auto shut down sun, mon, and today (tues)

Warrantry Ends in Fed and Im running out of ideas

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

11 years ago

So I called yesterday and was told the update that I was forced to download and install and that is also now causing my phone to shut down randomly was ment for the s3. I was then told that my phone was out of warrenty and that i could renew my contract and get the same phone as a curtisy, or pay 199 deductable to get a replacement. All this due to an error by AT&T. I dont understand why they would not allow me to chage phones. My upgrade is due in march why they couldnt just let me do an early upgrade to another phone i dont know. But to get stuck with the same phone for another 2 years is **.

I am going to just pay the early term fee and get out of Att its cheeper than the deductable... I am tired of the poor customer service and the disrespect towards their customers.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

I've been having this problem too. I have 2 different batteries, so I doubt it's the battery.

Through support, I've done a phone reset, and then later got a warranty replacement phone. Still doing it. Sometimes it goes a couple weeks, and sometimes it does it every day.

The symptom for me is I notice the phone feels hot. Then I try to activate the screen, and nothing. Then I remove and reseat the battery, and turn it on again. If I don't get to it in time, the battery is drained.

It has NEVER done it while I was actually using it. (which makes me think maybe something that keeps it DOING something may fix this - such as a keepalive app?)

I has done it while not charging, and also it has done it while charging.

ATT said they used to have a policy of letting you upgrade for free if you get a warranty replacement and it is a lemon also. They do not do that anymore.

Not sure what to do at this point.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

Maybe rooting the phone might fix it? I was afraid to do that, but I'm starting to feel like I have nothing to lose.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.