Posted Apr 15, 2013
7:44:29 PM
Galaxy S2 (SGH-i777) Jelly Bean Update?

With the latest Jelly Bean update rolling out to the Skyrocket varriant of the Galaxy S2, all versions of the SGS2 have not recieved the Jelly Bean update, except for the SGH-i777 model. (Across all carriers, models, etc)

With that, I just wanted to check in to see if there are any plans by AT&T to update the model referenced above.

If so, any expectation when we can expect that?

If not, any information as to why not would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

90 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(90)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013 9:51:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just an update.  I did a hard reset this morning.  2+ hours later I have my phone mostly set up again how I had it.  The SD Card still is not recognized by the phone.  So don't bother with a reset if that's your only problem.

Hoping the reset will at least make my batter last like it did with ICS.

Re: Galaxy S2 (SGH-i777) Jelly Bean Update?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013 11:23:37 AM
(0)
Mentor
Update is pretty much OK for me except ram usage has gone up. Not good for me cause I play lots of games on phone. Battery while using phone is about the same. When I shut of mobile data battery life is drastically improved! I am using a app called 2x battery and also power toggles to control mobile data setting.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013 11:34:52 AM
(0)
Mentor
Oh yeah it might be worth mentioning that 2x battery has a screen filter that can help battery life also.

Also for the SD issues I read about perhaps formatting SD card can help?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013 9:15:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

As far as battery life is concerned, immediately after the update I wasn't having an issue.  A few days later I was prompted to install (or update, I can't remember which one it was) Google Now.  After I did that my battery started to drastically drain faster.  I checked the settings within Google Now.  Then I turned it off.  I also checked the Location History/Settings in Google Maps.  I turned off "Report from this device", "Enable Location Sharing" and "Enable Location History".  Some of these settings seemed to have changed or were added after the update.  Anyway, after doing that my battery has seemed to perform basically the same as it did prior to the update.   

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 10, 2013 8:18:10 AM
(0)
Voyager

After the Jelly Bean update I'm having problems searching through my Contacts when I am driving. When I am stopped by the side of the road my contacts are fine but as soon as I get above 15 MPH  and i try and search through my Contacts they immediatley shift back to the top of the page. I can't get to any other contacts while driving. I have tried to see what is going on with Driving Mode but it is not turned on and when I do turn it on nothing changes whether I am driving or not. Any thoughts?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2013 6:10:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

I updated to JB, now my phone battery discharges way to fast, never had prblem before the update, just watching the battery meter, it loses 2% every couple of minutes. I use to go all day without a charge, now I have to watch the battery and charge it thought the day.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2013 6:21:51 AM
(0)
Mentor

I've sent private messages to AT&T with my questions/concerns, and I've repeatedly received responses stating that I need to ask Samsung.  Is there a link to a Samsung support portal to which we should direct our questions?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2013 6:52:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2013 7:18:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

I sent a private message and got an email to call the Warranty Service Center at 800.801.1101. I did a factory reset in the process on my current phone and it has helped the speed, freezing, and stuttering problems I was having. I don't really see a difference in battery drain and it still has a problem recognizing my SD card. Since it is still under warranty they are sending me a replacement. I just hope the replacement doesn't have these problems. I would suggest a factory reset for most problems.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 21, 2013 8:06:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

Anyone notice the Gallery only working in Portrait view.  I'm almost positive the Gallery could be viewed in Landscape view prior to the update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013 2:33:25 PM
(0)
Explorer

I just verified, Galery in 4.0.4 can be viewed in either portrait or landscape modes.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 31, 2013 9:23:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks maxud.  I went back and checked.  The automatic rotate screen option had been unchecked for some reason.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 31, 2013 9:29:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

For some reason I am now experiencing the lower battery performance too.  Previously, after I made the changes in a previous post, I was getting more or less the same battery life that I was getting prior to the update.  Over the past few days or so, the battery life has been cut in half.

The only noticeable difference that I can tell is that the Android System is running higher than it was previously.  I just checked the Battery Usage and it says Android System has used about 41% of the battery life.  Previously I believed I was getting closer to 20%.

Any ideas as to what would have increased Android System?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 24, 2013 10:02:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just updated JB and everything seems to work fine untill i locked and then unlocked the screen, the screen rotates up and dont change till I restart the phone, Im tired of it, i've tried to restore but didn't work, anyone can help, please? 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013 11:31:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

Can you describe what you mean by "the screen rotates up and don't change?" 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2013 10:30:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

This update is great! My phone was having a long list of problems with the previous ICS update, so I did a factory reset on my phone before updating to Jelly Bean to make sure I got a clean install. Every problem on my phone is now fixed and the UI improvements are excellent. I'm very pleased with this update.

My only complaint is that the autocompletion and predictive text with the keyboard seems to have taken a step backwards. Under ICS, the keyboard was amazingly forgiving with typos. I could type every other letter incorrectly in a word and the correct word would get inserted automatically as soon as I hit the space bar. With the JB update, it just inserts the whatever garbage I typed along with all my typos, even though I can see the correct word sitting in the first slot in the suggestion bar above the keyboard. 

I reviewed the keyboard settings and selected Predictive Text (which is turned on). A lot of the predictive text settings were turned off, so I turned them all on, but they don't seem to be working. For example:

Word Completion (supposed to complete the word after typing a few letters and hitting the space bar). It's turned on but isn't completing the words. My word completion point is set to 3 letters. It suggests the word to complete, but that's not the one that's highlighted, so when I hit the space bar, it just inserts a space after my incomplete word.

Spell Correction (supposed to attempt to remove any typos from my input). It's turned on but also not working.

Next Word Prediction (supposed to predict the next word I'm going to type based on my typing history). Again, it's turned on but not doing anything.

Auto Substitute (supposed to use the auto-substitute list to map patterns from the left side of the list to the words on the right side of the list. For example, change "dont" to "don't".) It's turned on but not working.

Recapture (supposed bring up the list of suggested words again as you backspace over a word) Turned on but not working.

Auto-append: I'm not sure what this is supposed to do, but nothing seems to be automatically appending to any of the words I type, even though it's turned on.

Regional Correction: I don't care about this, so I have it turned off.

I tried rebooting, but still none of the Predictive Text features seem to be working. Is this working for anybody?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2013 8:04:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've had the same issues with the keyboard.  But I thought it was somehow relayed to something that I did, like had a different keyboard that I lost after the upgrade.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2013 8:28:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

Are you using the default Samsung keyboard?  

I'd suggest trying SwiftKey.  It's much better at predictions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2013 8:31:25 AM
(0)
Mentor

Are you using the default Samsung Keyboard?  I use SwiftKey, which is much better at predictions.

Also, have you noticed that after the JB update, the default application settings get wiped after each reboot?  This includes the default keyboard (so it defaults back to the Samsung keyboard, and I have to switch it back to SwiftKey each time after a reboot), default browser (I use Chrome).  It basically seems like all default applications get reset after a reboot.  I haven't been able to find anything online that explains this.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2013 9:53:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Samblackjack,

Yes, I'm using the default Samsung Keyboard. Thanks for the referral to SwiftKey. If I can't get the predictive text to work on the Samsung keyboard, then I'll give it a try. Quite honestly, I was very happy with the predictive text using the Samsung keyboard in ICS though. Even in JB, I can see that the predictive text is adding the correct words into the list of word suggestions above the keyboard, it's just not automatically taking advantage of them like it should unless I manually select it from the list. It's behaving like predictive text is turned off, even though I have it turned on.

I haven't experienced the problem you described with default application settings getting wiped after each reboot. I also use Chrome as my default browser, and it continues to act as my default, even about rebooting a few times with the JB update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2013 10:41:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

could someone explain how i can update the samsung i777 to the jelly bean 4.1.2?

thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2013 9:40:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
Download Samsung "Kies" software to your PC. Plug your phone into the PC with a USB cable. Run the Kids software on your PC and follow the instructions to update the OS on your phone.

(Sent from my ARM powered mobile device.)
-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2548782

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2013 6:04:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

Have they patched this to work proper yet? Also how much space do you have after installing it? I've heard it doesn't leave you much room compared to ICS.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2013 6:56:02 AM
(0)
Mentor

Vyper, can you explain what you mean by "have they patched this to work proper yet?"  What's the "this" to which you're referring?

On my AT&T Galaxy SII, after upgrading to Jelly Bean, and reinstalling all of my apps (86 apps taking up 3.73GB), plus my photos and other media, I still have about 5.5GB free on my internal USB storage.  And this is not including the space on my external SD card, so I think there's plenty of space.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2013 7:24:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

I meant have they patched JB yet? I've read alot about bugs with the i777 including the problems people were having in this thread, was curious if they have fixed anything yet or is it the same version as first released.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2013 7:29:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

No, it's still the same JB version that was released. I've seen no further updates.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2013 11:59:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

JB runs pretty good. Currently my son's phone.  I doubt it will happen but it would be nice to see how KK runs on this phone since it supposedly uses less resources with the same performance as JB.

late,

k

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2013 12:07:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Samblackjack,

Were you ever able to resolve the problem with the default keyboard application settings getting wiped after each reboot of your SGH-i777? I didn't have this problem with the trial version of SwiftKey, but once I upgraded to the paid version of SwiftKey, then I started having the same problem you described. Everytime I reboot the phone, it resets the default keyboard back to the Samsung keyboard, so I need to manually set it back to the SwiftKey keyboard.

I haven't noticed any other defaults getting reset though...just the keyboard.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 3, 2013 1:41:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

Schlermie,

No, unfortunately I was not able to find a solution to that problem. I also have the paid version of SwiftKey, so maybe it has to do with how that's configured.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2014 2:38:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello Guys....

I was trying to find the I777UCMD8 update to my S2 I777, but the only option was HOTFILE, can anyone help me with a link please....