Posted Nov 14, 2012
9:18:22 AM
Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

265 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(265)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2012 3:56:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Nov 30, 2012 at 6:23:17 PM

I called att they said 4.1 and are just gonna go straight to 4.2 also they said that it would come out in the middle of december

[word filter avoidance]

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

[ Edited ]
151 of 266 (7,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2012 4:07:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

It doesn't surprise me that one of their reps talked like that. Anyway, even if you reach their tech department those reps are clueless and only know what their system tells them. I wish I could always talk to a well educated IT rep, but that'll never happen at AT&T. They are rated the worst customer service because they have people answering the phones with not a care or clue. They put you on hold all the time when you ask a question that falls outside their streamlined troubleshooting steps.

152 of 266 (7,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2012 4:28:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

Sounds good but I wouldn't hold your breath for that one.

153 of 266 (7,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2012 5:05:12 PM
(0)
Tutor
Wo wo wo lol they didnt say it like that and I went into a store after that there telling me the same thing all in all I love att service I had verizon and had more problems with them

154 of 266 (7,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 12:21:41 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by garvinw on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:30:02 AM

I just used the 'Software Update' option on my Galaxy to check for an update and it downloading an 82.05MB file... I'll update my poat once it's complete to confirm.

Update: Nevermind... not sure what just downloaded to my device, but it wasn't Jellybean.  The device still shows version 4.0.4.

Will G.
Cingular 2125
Audiovox 5600
Cingular 8125

[ Edited ]
155 of 266 (7,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 7:28:43 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by raik on Nov 30, 2012 at 7:37:11 AM

ATT rep said they will release 4.2 and skip 4.1......feeling like when 4.2 come out they will say sorry we skip 4.2 too and go 5.0 instead........and if we root and install custom rom we might brick the phone thus kicking the phone off the warranty list if we don't know what we doing.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┴┴∀

[ Edited ]
156 of 266 (6,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 7:42:00 AM
(0)
Guru

raik wrote:

ATT rep said they will release 4.2 and skip 4.1......feeling like when 4.2 come out they will say sorry we skip 4.2 too and go 5.0 instead........and if we root and install custom rom we might brick the phone thus kicking the phone off the warranty list if we don't know what we doing.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┴┴∀

AT&T is not skipping 4.1. The reps were misinformed by an improperly worded press release. I am planning on rooting my phone and installing a custom ROM this weekend. I've had it with AT&T's dillydallying.

157 of 266 (6,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 7:46:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

Jelly bean 4.1 was decided to be skip to 4.2 release instead.........meaning when 4.2 hit they will have new excuse that 4.2 not compatible with their LTE signal therefore will be skip to 4.3 or 5.0

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┴┴∀

Re: So where the heck is Jellybean??

158 of 266 (5,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 7:51:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
I might do the same today, ICS is great but JB is much smoother when I compare the two with my and my friend's GS3 from Sprint

159 of 266 (6,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 8:00:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

kgbkny wrote:

raik wrote:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┴┴∀

AT&T is not skipping 4.1. The reps were misinformed by an improperly worded press release. I am planning on rooting my phone and installing a custom ROM this weekend. I've had it with AT&T's dillydallying.

Nice to see you are visiting these forums. Did I miss something over on our forum because I thought that the concensus was that whatever any rep tells a user can't be validated due to so many conflicting responses? I saiid that I was staying low, & plan still plan to, until JB is released in whatever version it may be. Your response about 4.2 simply caught my eye as no one, & I mean no one, within the AT&T organization is allowed to release any other information other than the familiar "coming in the near future..." Oh well, just my 2 cents... 

160 of 266 (6,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 8:02:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
They are skiping 4.1 ive called them and confirmed this many times now and I have spoken with higher ups and they say the same

161 of 266 (6,804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 8:36:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

bob175 wrote:
They are skiping 4.1 ive called them and confirmed this many times now and I have spoken with higher ups and they say the same

I decided to respond only to inform you that I know for a definitive fact, regardless of you having "spoken with higher ups", that no one at AT&T is allowed to release any information other than what I pointed out in my last post. If the update indeed turns out to be 4.2, it will not be based on any conversations that you've had with AT&T employees. It will simply be attributed to the 'luck of the draw' per se. Signing off...

162 of 266 (6,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 9:01:54 AM
(0)
Teacher
I just got off the phone with AT&T and Samsung nd the were pointing the finger at each other. I wonder why?

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

163 of 266 (6,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 9:17:06 AM
(0)
Teacher
this is all AT&Ts fault.if it were up to Samsung they would already have jelly bean on their current flagship device. Why wouldn't they want their flagship phone operating as fast as possible. AT&T on the other hand could care less because the s3 is not their flagship device.so anyway, here we are now at the end of the month and no jelly bean.

164 of 266 (6,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 10:05:54 AM
(0)
Mentor
ATT is pointing the finger at Samsung is a joke. They're trying to deflect the responsibility and that's sad. Don't fall for it. Samsung has given JB to ATT a while ago.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

165 of 266 (6,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 10:53:42 AM
(0)
Guru

randun wrote:

kgbkny wrote:

raik wrote:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┴┴∀

Nice to see you are visiting these forums. Did I miss something over on our forum because I thought that the concensus was that whatever any rep tells a user can't be validated due to so many conflicting responses? I saiid that I was staying low, & plan still plan to, until JB is released in whatever version it may be. Your response about 4.2 simply caught my eye as no one, & I mean no one, within the AT&T organization is allowed to release any other information other than the familiar "coming in the near future..." Oh well, just my 2 cents... 

Correct. The statement regarding the 4.1 update comes directly from AT&T's support page for Galaxy S3 (I believe you linked to it on the other forum). I'll take printed information over anything a rep says.

On a side note, the secrecy surrounding this update is comical. I am extremely surprised that there hasn't been a leak - you'd think that they have access codes to Fort Knox embedded in it!

After this fiasco, I may be done with carrier-branded phones for good.

166 of 266 (6,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 12:30:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

kgbkny wrote:

randun wrote:

kgbkny wrote:

raik wrote:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┴┴∀

Correct. The statement regarding the 4.1 update comes directly from AT&T's support page for Galaxy S3 (I believe you linked to it on the other forum). I'll take printed information over anything a rep says.

On a side note, the secrecy surrounding this update is comical. I am extremely surprised that there hasn't been a leak - you'd think that they have access codes to Fort Knox embedded in it!

After this fiasco, I may be done with carrier-branded phones for good.

This is the way to go for people who care about updates.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

167 of 266 (6,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 1:10:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

Is it normal for official AT&T reps to not respond to issues in these forums?

168 of 266 (6,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 2:05:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

LIQUIDLEVEL wrote:

Is it normal for official AT&T reps to not respond to issues in these forums?

Yes, for OS version updates.  Jamileh has already responded with the only information that they are allowed to say at this point.  Generally, AT&T (or any carrier) doesn't announce an update until it has started to roll out to the affected devices.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

169 of 266 (6,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 2:20:12 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Buckyball on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:21:30 PM

Yes, for OS version updates.  Jamileh has already responded with the only information that they are allowed to say at this point.  Generally, AT&T (or any carrier) doesn't announce an update until it has started to roll out to the affected devices.

That's why I take my business to Google and the Nexus 4.

[ Edited ]
170 of 266 (6,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 2:27:37 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by walkah21 on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:31:07 PM

So I talked to both AT&T today and Samsung and this is what happened:

I sent AT&T (in a chat) the link https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB415621&cv=820&_requestid=600032#fbid=5CpQAg31ukr and said that my phone was not the baseband that it says it should be on the site. After trying things (like taking out the battery and going to some AT&T website on my phone w/ WiFi turned off), we weren't able to get it updated.  She said that since we couldn't get it OTA that I'd have to contact Samsung.  She also said that the only information she has regarding Jelly Bean is what the website says that I quoted above.

I contaced Samsung and sent them the same link and he said that the notifications for the update are being pushed to phones as a text AT RANDOM and there is no way of knowing when it will hit your phone. 

I have a word document of the transcript of the Samsung chat if anyone would like it.

Hope this helps clear the air. Basically we just have to wait if you don't wanna root.

[ Edited ]
171 of 266 (6,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2012 9:02:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
I just got the s iii a week ago. It already had an OTA update. I don't think it gave me jelly bean, but I now have 4.0.4

Baseband is 1747UCHL9. I don't think anyone was expecting a second software update for the HTC Inspire, which is the phone I just replaced, but at&t did roll out a second update for that. Im sure the jelly bean update will come OTA soon.

172 of 266 (6,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2012 3:07:19 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 1, 2012 at 4:42:25 AM

T-Mobile S3 has jelley Bean this doesn't make any sense! I'm kinda getting tired of ATT with all the B-S data share scam plans, and the monopoly them an Verizon are making along with APPLE...

[word filter avoidance]

[ Edited ]
173 of 266 (5,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2012 6:26:53 AM
(0)
Guru

raik wrote:

Jelly bean 4.1 was decided to be skip to 4.2 release instead.........meaning when 4.2 hit they will have new excuse that 4.2 not compatible with their LTE signal therefore will be skip to 4.3 or 5.0

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┴┴∀

This is not true. 4.1 is still being released, but it doesn't make the delay any less excusable.

174 of 266 (5,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2012 6:37:00 AM
(0)
Guru

I am a member of another well-known rooting/modding forum, whose name I can't mention here, as it will get censored out. There's an active thread there regarding AT&T's Jellybean delay for the GS3. A forum member who claims to work for a company that does marketing for Samsung Canada stated that Samsung is angry with AT&T and Verizon for delaying the already completed update and had to communicate with both companies to hurry up and release it. Supposedly, Verizon has responded, stating that they will begin rolling it out next week. AT&T is yet to respond.

My contract with AT&T runs until July 2014. Once it's up, I will seriously consider returning to T-Mobile, who should have a substantial portion of their LTE network rolled out by then. AT&T's service is great. However, their attitude towards keeping their customers' equipment updated is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.

175 of 266 (5,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2012 7:06:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T  is not Google.  They manage a world wide network not one citiy in the dust bowl, Kansas City.  Many work PC's are still using IE8 or lower.  While I'm eager for Jelly Bean I'm still far from using all that is on the current 4.0.  Software upgrades while important are less so than understanding what you have.  Like the time my golf teacher took the old wooden club I was using and hit and nice straight shot down the fairway.  I stopped making excuses for slicing the ball all over after I saw that.

176 of 266 (5,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2012 8:03:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

I'm not understanding that analogy at all. But if we are heading towards that direction then how about this one. Once a gym teacher told me I was going to make the schools basketball team. I went out and purchased the most expensive basketball shoes hoping that I would look good out on the court rocking the newest shoes around. Well, I noticed that a team member had an almost identical pair. I noticed an extra bulge on the sides. I asked him about the shoes and he said that they were an upgrade from mine and were released days after I bought mine.. They have extra cushioning to support the ankles better. The store clerk never told me that a new pair at the same price was coming out in a few days that had better ankle support. The basketball player told me that the store I bought them from only cares about fast cash and doesn't care about the products they sell or the customers. In fact, the store he bought from allows him to upgrade to the next pair coming out in a few months for free. The store I bought from said they don't follow that policy but if I waited a year I could get the next pair for free but most likely from good will. 

177 of 266 (5,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2012 1:44:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
Yogisimo, While you may be satisfied with the way At&t manages firmware updates, many of us are not as satisfied. At&t manage a wide network with over 100 million subscribers, not just one.

178 of 266 (8,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2012 5:11:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

I went through this with the Infuse/Gingebread update. No amount of fussing with AT&T or Samsung made it happen any faster. When it finally did happen, it was so messed up that AT&T and Samsung both had to disable their links to the update for another painfully long "fix".

Everyone should just relax and wait - it's not going to happen any time soon.  Most likely won't happen in 2012. And won't happen until the Note II gets the update. Please read the following:

http://www.pc-tablet.com/11889-samsung-push-android-42-jelly-bean-update-galaxy-note-2-galaxy-s3-gal...

179 of 266 (8,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2012 7:06:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T got your money already, they don't have to provide you any upgrades for free. You can go over to Verizon, oh wait they don't hav JB either. 

I don't think JB is worth the wait, I don't think it will improve much as battery life degrades with JB.  4.2 I would wait for since the battery of my Nexus 7 improved with 4.2 over 4.1.2

All JB based S3 roms have worse battery life than ICS stock rom.

Which is why I'm using a custom ICS rom, my S3 is just as smooth and quick as JB ports.

180 of 266 (8,582 Views)