Posted Nov 14, 2012
9:18:22 AM
Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

265 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(265)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 10, 2012 7:01:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

It was Adobe's decision, as they don't want to be in the mobile OS market anymore.  They stopped supporting their Flash Player with the new version of Android.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: So where the heck is Jellybean??

30 of 266 (10,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 11, 2012 4:38:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Aww, that's so disappointing to hear. That was one of the key reasons why I liked Android. :smileyindifferent:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

31 of 266 (10,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012 10:37:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

There are tons of places to get your extended life battery/replacement back for your phone much cheaper.  Amazon being one with multiple choices. You spent  #x's what you needed to @ $88

32 of 266 (10,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012 11:12:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Nov 13, 2012 at 11:14:24 AM

21stNow wrote:

It was Adobe's decision, as they don't want to be in the mobile OS market anymore.  They stopped supporting their Flash Player with the new version of Android.

Apparently, HTML5 (which is open source, compared to Adobe's proprietary Flash Player) is supposed to be the future on all platforms, not just mobile.  But it really hasn't panned out that way yet.  More websites are moving to HTML5, but many other websites still use it.  So Adobe's decision to stop supporting Android at this time is pretty annoying for many people.

That said, as previously mentioned, you can still install Flash Player on your device running JB.  The method is easy to find by Googling around for a few minutes.  As usual, use caution before installing software obtained from unofficial sources.  But really, if your phone comes with a feature out of the box, you should have every right to continue making it work.

[ Edited ]
33 of 266 (10,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 14, 2012 9:00:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just saw that T-Mobile is updating S3 today to Jelly Bean.  AT&T needs to get with it and not be last to the party as ususal.

Re: Galaxy SIII Jelly Bean Update

34 of 266 (14,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 14, 2012 12:14:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

But then again, what does AT&T care about updates to existing customers. Must have 1 person working on Android updates for all of AT&T.  A team would not take 4 months.

36 of 266 (14,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 14, 2012 1:30:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Nov 14, 2012 at 1:34:25 PM

[word filter avoidance] I was promised Jely Bean update August 29. Where is it or do you even care about you good customers?

Re: Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

[ Edited ]
37 of 266 (13,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012 7:10:20 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by kgbkny on Nov 15, 2012 at 7:15:42 AM

redmacdaddy wrote:

But then again, what does AT&T care about updates to existing customers. Must have 1 person working on Android updates for all of AT&T.  A team would not take 4 months.

Since T-Mobile is experiencing non-stop churn of contract customers (myself included - I left T-Mobile 4 months ago), it's in their best interest to do whatever possible to at least put a Band-Aid on the wound. Unlike T-Mobile, AT&T has the iPhone, an LTE network and far more extensive coverage footprint. They don't need to worry about trivial issues like timely firmware updates (pardon the sarcasm!).

A member of XDA Developers, claiming to be a former AT&T employee, stated that the department that works on updates is extremely lazy. Personally, I wasn't expecting a timely update from a U.S. carrier, but being outdone by T-Mobile and Sprint? Step it up, AT&T....

I would definitely love to experience Jellybean on my GS3. Yes, Jellybean is a significant improvement over ICS - thanks to my Galaxy Nexus, I speak from personal experience. I'll wait it out until the end of the month, and then it's off to root and ROM!

Speaking of Galaxy Nexus...I was absolutely correct in my earlier post. The 4.2 update for it was released a couple of days ago, while AT&T's GS3 is still waiting to receive 4.1. We're now 2 firmware versions behind. I guess being a flagship device still doesn't count for anything!

[ Edited ]
38 of 266 (14,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012 1:40:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yah, I don't think I really care, but it sucks to be behind. I really thought with the gs3 twere had turned a corner. Don't they realize that it's the updates and new tweaks that keep us interested? It's like getting a sweet Porsche 911 and putting Kia wheels on it. I'll shop around when my contract is up.

39 of 266 (13,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012 1:45:32 PM
(0)
Mentor

Att definitely doesn't stay in touch with what's important to customers. The flagship smartphone crowd wants to be number one for as long as possible. They have now put the galaxy 3 TWO software updates behind. Jellybean 4.2 is out while we wait. I don't like apple but at least they know how to update software...every six months like a clock.

40 of 266 (13,782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012 7:31:04 PM
(0)
Voyager

Yup complete crap. Jellybean has been out for awhile now and almost every carrier has it on there GS3 but not AT&T. Get on the ball AT&T

41 of 266 (13,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 16, 2012 5:52:49 AM
(0)
Guru

fp4lc4pon3 wrote:

Yup complete crap. Jellybean has been out for awhile now and almost every carrier has it on there GS3 but not AT&T. Get on the ball AT&T

Actually, only Sprint and T-Mobile versions of the GS3 have received Jellybean. With that being said, there is absolutely no excuse for the two largest carriers in the U.S. to delay the update.

As much as it pains me to say it, software update delays are stark reality that comes with getting a carrier-branded phone.

42 of 266 (13,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 16, 2012 6:29:55 AM
(0)
Guru

cheddarnut wrote:

Yah, I don't think I really care, but it sucks to be behind. I really thought with the gs3 twere had turned a corner. Don't they realize that it's the updates and new tweaks that keep us interested? It's like getting a sweet Porsche 911 and putting Kia wheels on it. I'll shop around when my contract is up.

Here's what we all need to realize: whenever we purchase a carrier-branded Android phone, there will ALWAYS be OS update delays. I've finally decided to sell my Galaxy Nexus, but I have a Nexus 10 on the way, which will enable me to enjoy the latest updates directly from Google. However, that still doesn't make me feel better about the GS3 update delay. There is simply no excuse for carriers holding back updates to flagship phones.

As far as shopping around is concerned, quality service outweighs timely OS updates, at least in my case. I'm a former T-Mobile customer, and their data service was absolutely horrible in my area. I live in NYC, so there is really no excuse for 0.5 Mbps downstream speeds in a supposedly 4G area of a major metropolis. Sprint is horrible as well. AT&T may be slow to update, but I really can't complain about their service.

43 of 266 (13,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 16, 2012 11:47:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

When do we expect Att to release the updates for Samsung Galaxy S3.. 

Any insiders pl you are most than welcome to respond.. Let us know the reason for the holdup...

Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

44 of 266 (20,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 16, 2012 11:56:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by raik on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:00:03 PM

whenever they ready I guess, at&t have history of horrible android update for samsung flag ship phone. I'm already rooted my S3 and load it with the black JB and it been working nice. Waiting for AT&T will be just a watse of time, and even if they release it, it will have full of their bloatwares that will eat your data usage away if you not watching them closely

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean Update - When to Expect?

[ Edited ]
45 of 266 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 16, 2012 1:34:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

It can't be too far off. Sprint and T-Mobile have it now.  Since the update is available thru Kies (and maybe OTA on ATT) you have to give time for people to download the JB update for Sprint and T-Mobile. Samsung does not want everyone downloading all at once (I am assuming that Kies is connecting to Samsung servers and not ATT). They also don't want to overload their customer service reps. That is they need a few weeks to have T-Mobile/Sprint users to finish.

I would imagine JB for ATT would be available in the next few weeks. They will release it, just a matter of time.

46 of 266 (20,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 17, 2012 7:20:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

I think the problem is more that att simply does not care, they probably have a just out of school intern working on the updates. apple has no problem releasing ios updates to all iphones at once through i-tunes so i doubt thats an issue , the problem is at&t, thats why you will never get any official answers from any employees here.

47 of 266 (19,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 17, 2012 9:03:37 AM
(0)
Guru

chrisayrer wrote:

the problem is at&t, thats why you will never get any official answers from any employees here.

You are 100% correct. Samsung has already provided the update to AT&T, who is delaying it under the guise of "testing to ensure compatibility". Samsung is not to blame in the situation - this is all on AT&T.

48 of 266 (19,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 17, 2012 9:10:54 AM
(0)
Teacher
Yeah this is getting insane. how many times have we heard it is coming out this week? they have had more than enough time to get it out. T mobile has it out for the love of God. I hate at&t, they just don't care. If we were paying $5 to update you better believe it would have been out long ago. I wish iI had a note 2,and a carrier that was not incompetent. you suck at&t!

49 of 266 (19,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 18, 2012 6:42:10 AM
(0)
Teacher
I'm beginning to get worried that after this 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 update, whatever is taking so long, we won't get another update. they have done it so many times before. updating a phone once and then they are done. I have lost all hope in at&t regarding their updates. The s3 is still the most popular phone on the market. You suck at&t. should have waited for a Note 2.

50 of 266 (13,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 18, 2012 9:21:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Nov 18, 2012 at 9:38:06 PM

You r correct. I'm embarrassed that att is dragging their feet while the smaller companies have it out already. Since its free they gonna take their sweet time but If they would charge for it we wouldve have it already. So whitnasty I second that.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
51 of 266 (17,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012 7:05:54 AM
(0)
Guru
They are working on perfecting AT&T Navigator, AT&T Radio, and other such useful apps that everybody wants. T-Mo and Verizon users don't get these handy and essential features, of course they will release the updates earlier.
If you are somehow able to live without AT&T Navigator etc, you can go to xda and get the updates early. But you will have to root your phone and void the warranty.

52 of 266 (12,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012 7:08:30 AM
(0)
Guru
Don't hold your breath. Last I heard it would be in 2013. But is JB so much better than ICS anyway? I like ICS.

53 of 266 (17,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012 7:51:14 AM
(0)
Teacher
it is an upgrade from ICS. The point is we paid top dollar for the best phone out. and it still is, and we assumed we would be getting timely updates to keep up. Now t mobile is ahead of us. at&t fire your OS update team. If you have one.

54 of 266 (14,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012 8:04:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

Based on information received from an anonymous source, I found that AT&T's GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials began in May & that they should be nearing the final stages of testing soon!

Based on this information, it appears that AT&T actually started testing long ago, even before the Jelly Bean announcement at Google's I/O last June 27th. Sooo, why does Sprint & T-Mobile have the update, but AT&T doesn't? $60K question I suppose... :smileyfrustrated:

55 of 266 (14,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012 8:42:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

Samsung Galaxy S3 to Be Released on Cricket on November 23

Yet another provider ahead of AT&T courtesy of the Eastern Morning Herald (http://easternmorningherald.com/sams...er-23/1222309/). It's quite plausible since Cricket uploaded several SGS III videos on their website Friday ( http://www.mycricket.com/community/v...g-Galaxy-S-III)

56 of 266 (14,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012 8:58:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

A couple of tidbits for everyone...

1. Based on information received from an anonymous source, I found that AT&T's GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials began in May & that they should be nearing the final stages of testing soon!   Based on this information, it appears that AT&T actually started testing long ago, even before the Jelly Bean announcement at Google's I/O last June 27th. Sooo, why does Sprint & T-Mobile have the update, but AT&T doesn't? $60K question I suppose... :smileyfrustrated:

2. Samsung Galaxy S3 to Be Released on Cricket on November 23

Yet another provider ahead of AT&T courtesy of the Eastern Morning Herald (http://easternmorningherald.com/sams...er-23/1222309/). It's quite plausible since Cricket uploaded several SGS III videos on their website Friday ( http://www.mycricket.com/community/v...g-Galaxy-S-III).

57 of 266 (10,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012 10:29:16 AM
(0)
Guru

randun wrote:

A couple of tidbits for everyone...

1. Based on information received from an anonymous source, I found that AT&T's GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials began in May & that they should be nearing the final stages of testing soon!   Based on this information, it appears that AT&T actually started testing long ago, even before the Jelly Bean announcement at Google's I/O last June 27th. Sooo, why does Sprint & T-Mobile have the update, but AT&T doesn't? $60K question I suppose... :smileyfrustrated:

2. Samsung Galaxy S3 to Be Released on Cricket on November 23

Yet another provider ahead of AT&T courtesy of the Eastern Morning Herald (http://easternmorningherald.com/sams...er-23/1222309/). It's quite plausible since Cricket uploaded several SGS III videos on their website Friday ( http://www.mycricket.com/community/v...g-Galaxy-S-III).

As I've posted on XDA, since AT&T's Jellybean update for the GS3 is not even in the final stages yet, it's quite plausible that it won't receive an official rollout until 2013. One way or the next, I'm rooting and ROMing if the update doesn't come out by November 30. I have no idea what can possibly be taking six months(!!!!!!) to test.

With regards to Cricket, their version of the GS3 will be released with ICS. They aren't really ahead of AT&T in that aspect.

58 of 266 (10,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012 11:42:24 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by raik on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:43:58 AM

I smell the update wont be here until early 2013 since holiday season is coming up and all AT&T care is selling their phones as much as possible and could careless about rolling out update for droids

Rooting your galaxy s3 (or any android) is the only way to go to get latest stuff. AT&T simply doesn't care about releasing update on time for android flagship phones......This is why i wish all android manufactures just stop letting phone carrier in charge of releasing update. Look how fast apple release their update without going through phone carrier craps

[ Edited ]
59 of 266 (9,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012 12:39:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
Began user testing in May? On GS3? That was before the phone was even released! Your info must be completely dreamed up by someone.

60 of 266 (14,154 Views)