Posted Feb 4, 2013
5:43:37 PM
Galaxy Note I717 getting Jelly Bean update

When will the Samsung Galaxy Note I717 be able to receive the Jelly Bean update? I have been having so many issues with my phone right now, after I got the ICS update. Thanks

166 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
Replies
(166)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 25, 2013 8:31:06 PM
(0)
Scholar
1. WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GET IT DECEMBER 2012
2. OH NO WE MEANT JANUARY 2013
3. OH WE FORGOT TO TELL YOU ITS COMING FEBRUARY 2013
4. DID WE SAY FEBRUARY...WE MEANT MARCH OR APRIL 2013
COME ON AT&T THIS WAS THE PHONE THAT STARTED IT ALL AND WE ARE GETTING AN UPDATE THAT IS GOING TO BE BEHIND WHEN WE FINALLY GET IT....IF WE DO! MY SONS PANTECH POCKET IS AS GOOD AS MY NOTE...AND THATS AT&T. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. ITS FUNNY THAT I CAN FLASH A CUSTOM ROM ON MY SAMSUNG INFUSE THAT WAS MADE BY A DEVELOPER..4.2.2 BUT THE ALLEDGED GREAT AT&T CANT EVEN GIVE THE ORIGINAL NOTE USERS 4.1

Re: Galaxy Note I717 getting Jelly Bean update

31 of 167 (13,805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 3:26:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

AT&T & Samsung want you to lust for the latest and greatest (which honestly isn't that much better than the last version), then sell you a new phone with a new contract. Neither of them have any reason to support an old device. Next time, I'm buying a Nexus device, without a contract... hopefully T-Mobile starts picking up all of the Verizon and AT&T users as we come off of contract... I'd love to see their honest plans succeed.

32 of 167 (13,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013 12:18:36 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey folks, 

The update to 4.1.2 was released on 2/14/13. If you haven't been able to update to Jelly Bean, you probably didn't update to Ice Cream Sandwich mid last year. 

Android 4.0 OS (Ice Cream Sandwich) for the Samsung Galaxy Note II is available to download via tethering with a personal computer, effective July 10, 2012. Over the Air (OTA) delivery is not available for this update. You can obtain the OS update by visiting the Samsung Web site at www.samsung.com/us/attgalaxynote/update from your computer. 

Please update to ICS and then try the update to Jelly Bean. 

If after that, you're still not able to update to Jelly Bean please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

33 of 167 (12,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013 2:41:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

the forum is for the original galaxy note i717 in your post you mention galaxy note 2 wich one are you refering to

34 of 167 (12,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013 3:47:25 PM
(0)
Explorer
The I717 is the Original Galaxy Note, not the Note II. ATT has been by far the worst when it comes to getting updates to the phones out. We keep getting told different stories depending on who you get. ICS on my Galaxy Note (the original) is slow and I have to reboot the phone daily just so I can use it. If this is how ATT is going to provide service, then I will be changing cell phone companies when my contract ends and go with someone else who does provide good support.

35 of 167 (12,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2013 8:21:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:02:43 PM

Yeah this is seriously some *** I buy a 300 dollar "flagship phone" and get nothing in the way of OS updates. But the S3 gets it? Why does my early adoption of Android phones from AT&T ALWAYS seem to get punished?

You know I've been with AT&T as my cell carrier without lapse since the mid 90's, and if there's one thing that would make me bail, it's their totally inept support of OS updates for Android phones. And the fact that their reps never know squat about anything regarding updates.

Do the right thing and get the update out. For the love of god at least give people some info. Have you no clue that keeping customers in the dark is the absolute worst thing you can do regarding customer satisfaction and loyalty?

C"mon, tell us if we are even getting it or not. If not, just say so. If we're getting it, tell us roughly when. If you don't know, well then that's a whole 'nuther kind of stupid.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
36 of 167 (12,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 5, 2013 10:27:59 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi yaakovchaim,

Just wanted to check in with you and let you know that we received your private message. One of our managers will be reaching out to you.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

37 of 167 (12,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 5, 2013 11:21:41 AM
(0)
Explorer

The information you provided is the same old song, hurry up and wait.  We Note (original) users deserve better information.  We paid a lot of money for these phones and the services is less than desirable.

38 of 167 (12,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 6, 2013 11:13:03 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by bwaslo on Apr 6, 2013 at 11:25:47 AM

"The update to 4.1.2 was released on 2/14/13. If you haven't been able to update to Jelly Bean, you probably didn't update to Ice Cream Sandwich mid last year. "

Jamileh,

The update for the Galaxy Note I717 has most definitely NOT been released yet, although it was announced to be coming -- last August! -- just before I bought my Note 1.

I am updated to ICS (vis Kies) and check by wireless EVERY DAY for an update of the operating system. I was also checking often for updates via Kies, until I got an update (via wireless) that only changed the modem firmware of the phone but still left me in ICS -- and now, Kies says that my phone's version is no longer supported for update via Kies!  To say this handling seems less than competent would be an understatement.

Can AT&T really not be aware of all this??!!!  Have we Note 1 owners basically been forgotten by AT&T and Samsung?  I note on the Samsung page 

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00050212&fm_seq=55187

that the AT&T I717 is not even listed anymore for a Jelly Bean update.

I expect you'll advise me to just take this up with Samsung, but you must surely realize that we mere AT&T customers have no influence at all on Samsung's plans.  But AT&T does, so we'd expect you to advocate for us in this issue.

Or would you prefer to give all us AT&T Note 1 I717 owners a free upgrade to the Note 2, which got Jelly Bean months ago?

- an Irritated customer

[ Edited ]
39 of 167 (12,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 6, 2013 8:35:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I REALLY hate to inform all of you users (like myself) who are patiently waiting for Jelly Bean for the original Note. IT IS NOT HAPPENING. AT&T nor Samsung has any incentive to release the update; I recently purchased a Note 2 and found it lacking. With that said there is no way that I'm dealing with Samsung (nor AT&T) in the future. FYI the Google Nexus (yeah I know it's a Samsung manufactured phone) has a similiar screen size and Google has promised to support the phone (meaning 4.2 and 5.0) for the duration. I really hate to leave AT&T, but like the rest of you Android Junkies I'm also A tech geek, so your options are 1) buy the Note 2 (my advice is: DO NOT DO IT), 2) Wait for the S4 (good luck) or 3) install a custom ROM. I installed a CM ROM on my Note and found it good but not comparable to the Samsung Note 2. Good luck and Good Waiting

40 of 167 (12,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 6, 2013 10:39:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

The update she is talking about is a baseband update that made the phone unsupported by Kies it is not an up date to jelly bean

jamileh wrote:

Hey folks, 

The update to 4.1.2 was released on 2/14/13. If you haven't been able to update to Jelly Bean, you probably didn't update to Ice Cream Sandwich mid last year. 

41 of 167 (12,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 7, 2013 4:34:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

The update that was released in February was for the the international version of the Note which used a Samsung CPU without LTE. The US version uses a Qualcomm CPU with LTE built in. So I think the blame should land on AT&T for wanting a different CPU which would require writing different version of Jelly bean OS for it to operate like the international version. I'm sure they didn't want to pay Samsung to develop and support Jelly Bean OS, not to mention the AT&T  "beep"ware  would probably have to be updated too.

Re: Galaxy Note February getting Jelly Bean update

42 of 167 (12,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 7, 2013 8:11:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
the android JB OS is available for Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (international version), the update file is 500 MB+. it's also have the both option like OTA (Over The Air) and Kies. AT&T is busy to add their own customization in JB for Note.

Re: Galaxy Note February getting Jelly Bean update

43 of 167 (11,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2013 7:32:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

OH, but I did update to Ice cream.  The version on my phone says 4.0.4 yet I don't see any update for the ORIGINAL Note available.  If it is available, where is it?  I check from my phone, check from KIES - nothing.

44 of 167 (11,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2013 8:02:32 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Aaron, we received your private message and replied. We look forward to assisting you.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

45 of 167 (11,798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2013 9:00:53 AM
(0)
Scholar
the International version was checked yesterday in south Aisa via Wi-fi

46 of 167 (11,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2013 10:09:54 AM
(0)
Teacher

Ok, emailed customer service and here is what I was told:

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately, at this time there is no Jellybean update available for the Original Note. If one comes available, you will be notified via SMS to download. I wish I had better news for you.

Thank you,

Mike, AT&T Social Media Manager

47 of 167 (11,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2013 12:34:16 PM
(0)
Voyager

If AT&T keep holding it and not release forever, it would be against customers.

48 of 167 (11,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2013 12:58:15 PM
(0)
Explorer

Seems as though ATT could care less about the Galaxy Note users otherwise they would at least make an attempt to provide us with some information.  It's no wonder that their ratings are going down year after year.

49 of 167 (11,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2013 12:59:16 AM
(0)
Scholar
@Aaron1646 i was telling JB update about the international version Samsung galaxy Note, Not att.

50 of 167 (11,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2013 8:45:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

its already April and still no Jelly Bean update. Its been about 8 months since the Galaxy Note Jelly Bean update was announced, and when Samsung finally released it in february, ATT made us wait and is still making us wait. If ATT devoted even a few resources for the Galaxy Note Jelly Bean upgrade, it would probably be out already. But ATT doesn't care about customer satisfaction at all. Why the long wait ATT?

51 of 167 (11,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2013 9:32:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by sandwichhero on Apr 9, 2013 at 9:33:53 PM

Call me crazy, but it seems AT&T is posturing itself to back out of this update. The situation is grim my friends, we are not likely to ever see an official JB ROM. I'd at least like them to be forthcoming, remaining tight lipped is really disrespectful to their users.

Others have said it best. When your contract is up, you may be better served by a carrier that cares about its users (verizon/tmobile/sprint).

Would anyone even be so upset if AT&T was forthright with us and said something to the tune of "It's not coming" or maybe "we're working on one, hopefully sometime X quarter of 201Y"? It's one or the other, hiding it is just cruel!

[ Edited ]
52 of 167 (11,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2013 7:07:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

If the official release doesn't come, what would be good ROM alternative with Jelly Bean for the I717 ?

GH

53 of 167 (10,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2013 7:18:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

I sent this to Samsung today, now I guess well see if any of it gets answered....

I want to relay my frustration on this matter, you should know there are thousands of your customers who feel the same way. The following questions, while YOU may not be able to answer directly, you can surely find someone in your ranks who can answer them. I do not want any finger pointing to ATT or excuses, I want the truth.

1. Why are you not supporting the I717 with an update to Jelly Bean, but you are updating 2 year old hardware instead?

2. What is the estimated time frame of when you will release Jelly Bean for the I717?

3. What is your reasoning behind giving multiple time frames of when it will be released only to retract each statement, and as of now the I717 is NOT listed in your list of handsets that will get the update to Jelly Bean, it currently only shows the Sky Rocket as the ONLY phone for ATT to receive the update.

4. Who makes the rules for your company, ATT?

5. If samsung is taking orders from ATT, whos the person in charge of receiving and following these orders, this person needs to be replaced asap.

Finally, me and the countless others who support your company and contribute to your pay checks would like to express that in no way is spending the amounts of money on these devices in hopes of being not "top of the line" after a new release but still "relevant" and supported with new software. Dont forget, its the customer who keeps your company in existence and by cheating us your only hurting yourselves.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to a reply.

54 of 167 (10,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2013 10:14:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

As Samsung is a very famous and largest and also popular company, why does the JB update webpage still not updated?? check the below link

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00050212&fm_seq=55187

Samsung is a very famous and largest and also popular company, why does the JB update webpage still not updated? And also no JB upgrade news for  Samsung Galaxy Note ??

55 of 167 (10,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2013 5:13:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
I paid over $300 for this device, and more for AT&T's top-dollar service. I'm not happy that AT&T has not been timely in keeping the device's OS current.

I'm going to check and see if any consumer complaints have been filed regarding this issue.

56 of 167 (10,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 14, 2013 5:35:13 PM
(0)
Teacher
Why would you be updating us on the international version when this entire forum is about the AT&T US version?

57 of 167 (10,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 14, 2013 7:29:30 PM
(0)
Tutor
So tired of waiting for the update. They updated the skyrocket but not the note? Looks like we are going to have to wait for the original note to be out of stores before it ever sees jelly bean. Ill be leaving at&t next April

58 of 167 (10,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013 4:49:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Still no jelly bean update. Att, look at this forum. So many people want jelly bean on their galaxy note i717, yet you still wont do anything. All we are asking for is an update to jelly bean... nothing too big for your company to handle, right?... oh wait, i guess it is, since you wont do anything about it.

59 of 167 (9,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 17, 2013 9:16:53 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Mandroid on Apr 17, 2013 at 9:27:09 AM

Just answer us for god's sake.

Why would you leave good custoers who buy flagship devices just twisting in the wind? Whoever is the top dog who makes decisions reharding updates at AT&T should be put out to pasture as they have absolutely no clue whatsoever how to treat high-end and/or enthusiast customers, which are an important segment as they influence buying decisions at a far higher rate than more typical customers.

So what...cat got your tongues? If you aren't releasing it then have the courtesy to say so. If you are then say so and give us even some rough idea of when. The problem isn't so much that you're late. The problem is that some of us loyal customers just frankly don't trust you anymore when it comes to support. And that should concern you AT&T.

[ Edited ]
60 of 167 (9,882 Views)