Posted Apr 9, 2014
10:15:13 AM
GS5 Features Removed

It it true that AT&T has removed several of the GS5's built in features like Download booster, Kids mode? How about the new security features like Find My Mobile and reactivation lock and whatever else? Are those gone as well?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Apr 14, 2014 1:45:57 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

We are evaluating Samsung’s Download Booster Feature. We thoroughly test new software, features and functionality to ensure that it meets our standards for a quality user experience.

-Mariana

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

GS5 Features Removed

34 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2014 4:37:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am very disappointed with this decision by AT&T to permanently disable the download booster option on this device. Not only would it benefit the company in terms of profits, but it would benefit the needs and wants of the consumers! People want stuff and they want it fast!!! Why disable one of the Key Features of this device AT&T??? I am starting to wonder why I ever left my previous carrier. This is like a dictator carrier haha.

Galaxy S5 download booster disabled

2 of 35 (5,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2014 4:39:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am very disappointed with this decision by AT&T to permanently disable the download booster option on this device. Not only would it benefit the company in terms of profits, but it would benefit the needs and wants of the consumers! People want stuff and they want it fast!!! Why disable one of the Key Features of this device AT&T??? I am starting to wonder why I ever left my previous carrier. This is like a dictator carrier haha.

download booster disabled

3 of 35 (5,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2014 5:09:03 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:26:44 PM

I was reading up on this. It sounds cool, using wifi and cellular data to improve downloading.

According to an Shawn De Cesari who wrote  this, he says it may be coming on future updates.

Based on that, I suspect, it's not yet well optimized for AT&T's network

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Galaxy S5 download booster disabled

[ Edited ]
4 of 35 (5,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2014 5:09:11 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:26:37 PM

I was reading up on this. It sounds cool, using wifi and cellular data to improve downloading.

According to an Shawn De Cesari who wrote  this, he says it may be coming on future updates.

Based on that, I suspect, it's not yet well optimized for AT&T's network

-Alex

Re: download booster disabled

[ Edited ]
5 of 35 (5,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2014 6:55:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yes, they disabled it.  Its beyond frustrating.  They must think us concumers would not notice.  Download booster is a great feature, one that I most definately could benefit from.  

AT&T obviously worried that some one would exceed their data usage on WIFI with this feature.  That and they do not want people on the network.  That's why they are always telling people to use WIFI whenever.  

So sick of this company.

Re: GS5 Features Removed

6 of 35 (5,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2014 7:22:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
loganic as an AT&T employee I am sorry that they did not either train you on this feature, or you are telling me what you think I want to hear. I personally am a vendor for Samsung and have known this for weeks now. I've been preaching it to consumers, and it's going to be difficult to explain to them that either I was lying or AT&T chose not to go with the feature for what reasons I do not know. From a business standpoint it would be benefiting everyone involved. AT&T could profit IF and when consumers went over their data plans, and consumers could get faster downloads....which again has been advertised for weeks now. So I will take the rap for you this time, AT&T, but I don't know how much longer I can take these chinks in your chain.

Re: download booster disabled

7 of 35 (5,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2014 8:14:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
Now I'm almost scared to try the water test!

8 of 35 (5,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014 11:54:46 AM
(0)
Professor
I have the ATT S5 and none of those features are on the phone.

9 of 35 (5,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014 5:52:30 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by dickeymo69 on Apr 10, 2014 at 5:52:57 PM

Thanks, I've been reading some of the reviews over on Android Central and it looks like Download booster was revomed by almost all carriers. Sad to see that, but even sadder to see that AT&T continues to remove security features like they did with knox.

I did see that kids mode supposedly can be download from Samsung Apps. 

[ Edited ]
10 of 35 (5,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2014 6:39:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

just wanted to let you know these missing features are the some of the main reasins I upgraded to the s5. I am very DISAPPOINTED and hope this will be fixed in a future software upgrade soon.

missing kids mode and download booster for s5

11 of 35 (5,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2014 10:38:17 AM
(0)
Contributor
I am very disappointed this is borderline communism the download booster was a major factor in buying the s5 please fix this ASAP

12 of 35 (5,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2014 2:11:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
AT&T "future releases" = once we have a way to limit it or hack it then we will release a chopped version. maybe 2 years after you buy the phone. and theres a s6 or s7 out. Thanks for your money.

13 of 35 (5,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2014 3:22:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

KNOX was also removed. I was really looking forward to this feature.

14 of 35 (5,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2014 11:22:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

it has knox on it.  you have to download the app from the samsung store

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 35 (5,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 13, 2014 4:21:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all block the Download Booster on their models of the Galaxy S5. T-Mobile is the only big four carrier that supports the feature.

http://www.androidauthority.com/carriers-block-galaxy-s5-download-booster-367756/

S5 Feature Blocked by AT&T

16 of 35 (5,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 13, 2014 11:17:35 AM
(0)
Expert

tailgunner9 wrote:

AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon all block the Download Booster on their models of the Galaxy S5. T-Mobile is the only big four carrier that supports the feature.

http://www.androidauthority.com/carriers-block-galaxy-s5-download-booster-367756/

Confused so you are asking to have a feature turned on that will chew up your data allocation faster?

Re: S5 Feature Blocked by AT&T

17 of 35 (5,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 13, 2014 11:41:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

It's understandable why it was blocked, aside from pulling from AT&T's network which would be taxing on them all the time. It also could completely drain the data of users with small data plans, then said users would go over their plans get charged extra fees, find out about it and then start complaing to AT&T about how the heck they went over, because they wouldn't know exactly how this "Booster" works.

It sucks for those with larger data plans that would want to take advantage of this, but I think AT&T is more worried about the issues it could cause to the smaller data planned people. People act like AT&T/Verizon/Sprint were all malicious and such for getting rid of this feature, but I'm sure they wouldn't have minded making a ton of money off the people who would shoot over their plans.

18 of 35 (5,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 13, 2014 4:24:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The usage scenarios for the Download Booster are so limited that AT&T shouldn't be concerned about users going over their data plans because of it.  If that were truly the case, I don't see why YouTube and any other video playing apps wouldn't be disabled, too.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 35 (5,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Apr 14, 2014 1:45:57 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone!

We are evaluating Samsung’s Download Booster Feature. We thoroughly test new software, features and functionality to ensure that it meets our standards for a quality user experience.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Ask an Expert Event - Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Friday 10/17 learn more

20 of 35 (5,135 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 14, 2014 7:14:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Thanks Mariana, and please keep us posted.  I spent the entire weekend debating whether to buy the S5 from AT&T or T-Mobile because of this issue.  I still haven't made a decision.

21 of 35 (5,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 15, 2014 8:08:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Scholar
dont ya think that should have been posted on release day????

If I pay full retail for a phone att should not care about my user experience. You had test devices for this phone in January. Thats per samsung phone support. Att always backtracking when people get mad about leaving something out on the phone.

22 of 35 (5,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 17, 2014 9:50:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Go with T-Mobile. The bootloader is unlocked on their device too!

23 of 35 (4,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2014 6:40:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

actually the feature is still on the phone they just hid it. There are instructions on how to get it back on the web

24 of 35 (4,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2014 6:02:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

From what I've read, it requires using a different launcher (which I don't care to do) and it is not fully functional using the workaround.  I want the experience as Samsung intended it if I am paying money that has the value the the US Treasury intended it to have.

25 of 35 (4,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2014 8:26:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Scholar
I have the s5 but mine is non branded download boater will work on art. Lol

26 of 35 (4,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2014 9:54:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
I have the s5 but mine is non branded download boater will work on art. Lol

Do you have all of the AT&T LTE bands on it?

27 of 35 (4,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2014 3:49:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar
Yes it does. I have to look I think there all the same here in the states.

28 of 35 (4,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2014 1:36:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
How about Samsung Link? This is one of the reasons I have multiple Samsung devices, and it's an app that I've been using daily since I bought my Galaxy S2. The function of backing up pictures/videos in real time and also being able to access content on multiple devices when I'm traveling. It didn't come preloaded on the device, and when I find it in the Play Store, it says I have an incompatible device. Any plans for this to change?

29 of 35 (4,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2014 9:34:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

That's what Google drive is for.  Google made Samsung remove those apps like link

30 of 35 (4,556 Views)