The Samsung Galaxy S24
x0rg's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 6:57 AM

From LG G2 to LG G3 - worth switching?

Hello,

I was a happy user of LG G2 since Feb 2014, then I decided to switch to LG G3.

I would like to get some explanations. I can see the Voice Recorder (probably a component) in the Apps list (under Settings), but can't find anything in Apps under Home screen to record audio and voice. The same with the "Video" app. Where is it? No Flash Light widget like it was on G2? No Wireless Storage? They removed Life Square. No Notepad, Notebook apps? Removed Crop function in QuickMemo and named it QuickMemo+. No White Balance option and different Modes (Night mode) in Camera? Made all the colors dull like for a color-blinded person. I'm not asking for eye-popping colors, but hey, a little good graphic design anyone? Any graphic designer student or a web master will tell you that you can't use those color combinations like white on cyan - those are wrong, improper, visually bad from design perspective. My only hope now is that they will release an update that will bring us more features than were on G2, fix the color palette (you can change gamma under Accessibility settings though). The device itself is awesome, but the way LG changed UI, took away functionality and features (most of you probably wouldn't even care) is disappointing me. I love device and I wish I could bring the UI of my G2 to G3. People who switched from G2 to G3 will understand my disappointment.

Scholar

• 

72 Messages

10 years ago

Very interesting.  I too switched from a G2 to a G3 and hands down definitely an upgrade IMHO.  I also noticed the removal of some of the features you mentioned.  The most noticeable for me besides the flashlight widget was the ram monitor.  There's a native option to "optimize" your device in the settings menu instead.  I guesss LG's take is that most of these are also available in the Google Play store from 3rd parties.  Have you given the new Google camera app a try?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I for one am glad they to the crap off the phone.  They listened to consumers that said those apps can be gotten from elsewear.

as for the camera its in point and shoot mode in the menu you can make all the other stuff come up

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I tried Google Camera app, it's no better than LG's app, but both are worse than then one from G2. I found DSLR Camera app that has some extra features. What I don't like in 3rd-party apps is that sometimes you get an app and then you notice that your phone's battery drains faster, or some apps require permissions you don't know what it needs for, like a Wallpaper app wants to know my identity, my phone call history, etc. I'd better pay $0.99 than share my personal data. Again, the phone itself is great, no question about it, but I don't understand why LG or AT&T took features and apps away, and simplified things where they had to be improved.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

they took them away because the majority of there customers did not want them.  If there is a google service for it they removed it.  do I think the camera app needs work yes.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

I don't like bandages, I like thoughtful finished products.

1. Customers who don't need those features, don't have to use them or if they bothered by having the icon of "Wireless Storage" in the notification area, they can disable it. As the final resort, they can switch to iPhone. Now, what about people who been using those features? I mean features already been there, it's not like not providing them, it's like giving a candy to a child and then when he asks again, you never give him more. Now I have to spend time finding anything similar (3rd party apps) and still can't. There are very few developers worth attention, most of the product ideas are not finished. Even Google Camera.. It's no better than LG's camera app - no exposure compensation, no manual exposure metering, no dual camera mode (so I could take picture of my family and myself in a small window), no white balance, no 4K video (please don't start this 4K vs 1080P discussion, on a sunny day 4K is way better and I can see the difference), a lot of processing (I would like to be able to disable or control, how much taken picture is being processed, etc). RAW pictures or high quality not processed JPG? Forget about it!

2. Majority of their customers didn't want them? I'm sure this is just your imagination, otherwise you should have statistics to provide 😄

And that DSLR camera that I mentioned before, it is not working with G3, whatever I do, I see no changes (i.e. changing ISO, exposure compensation, etc). Even manual focus doesn't work. See what I'm talking about?

Another thing - Mobile Printing.

I used to print from my G2 on any printer in the company. I used to get a list of 10 printers, I was able to choose any of them and just print whatever I want. Now it shows "Searching for printers" forever and nothing happens, so I had to find an app for that too - Hammermill. Yeah, still better than "AirPrint-compatible printers only" or "Samsung printers only", but on G2 it was working out from the box.

QuickMemo+

Try to "Share" a picture with "QuickMemo+". Then tell me what you think about picture quality when you open it in QuickMemo+.

And it is not about camera only, I can go on in comparison between G2 and G3. It's like "OK, guys, you all had a good car with V8 turbo engine, now we going to give you the next generation - still V8 turbo, 10 more horse power, accelerates a little faster (0.5 second faster from 0 to 60), but we had to take away those HID lamps, traction control, ABS, blind spot monitors, some indicators drivers were complaining about (like a fuel gauge, tachometer), we took away right side mirror, but trunk is bigger now and now you have space for another spare tyre." This is how I see this upgrade. The GUI is still lagging. I was in one app, then I tap on "Home" button and waited about 3-5 seconds and the home screen appeared like in 5 fps.

Simplicity is a good thing in terms of navigation and access, but not in terms of features. Dear LG, this is Android, DO NOT TRY TO BE APPLE, OTHERWISE PEOPLE WILL START SWITCHING BACK TO APPLE, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE BEST IN THIS "SIMPLICITY" TREND and they will release a larger screen (if this is the only thing that holds somebody from going Apple). This is why I switched from iPhone to G2 in the first place. Because iPhone was simple and boring! When I saw what G2 can do I was blown away. And now they are taking away things. Letters had been written to LG customer support (and I had two different E-mail addresses provided by LG USA Mobile) - it's like a black hole, no reply since then. I hope somebody from LG will read my posts.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

you know its a cell phone right not a DSLR.  If you want a camera buy one.  

As for your info here ya go

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/05/27/live-lg-g3-unveiling/#more-141163

they said in the video they were listining to customers

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

If you disagree or don't care about what I feel, you can just ignore my posts.

I have a DSLR camera, actually interchangeable lens camcorder, that's why it bothers me, that the phone has so much capability of doing many things, but they decided to simplify everything and it's still lagging. It's not about having something, it's about taking something away that was already there. Don't you understand? And it is not about Camera app only!

I watched the whole presentation and I was waiting for G3 for several months.

The sentence "we were listening to our customers" or whatever is not related to taking stuff away, they just said that because people wanted to hear it. It's like a slogan, so people would think "They do care about us, yeah! We love them too!"

And your "it's a cellphone" is not working for 21st century. It's not just a cellphone anymore like it was 7 years ago. If all you want is "just a cellphone" why you buying smartphones?

I'm just trying to get my 100% satisfaction here and this is between me, AT&T and LG.

I still have time to return the phone and get Galaxy S5 S805 or wait till 64-bit smartphone on Android L if this will be neccesary. I demand improvement, because I pay $3,600 per year for 5 lines so we could "have fun" using "simplified smartphones". Is that the new rule in town - pay more, expect less?!

All I want is people, who feel the same, support me to push LG and AT&T to improve their products and services, because for the money I paid I definitely expected more.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

No i was listining you went on about the camera.  I get that.  On my desk right now sits a M8, Nexus 5 running L,  S5(the piece of junk of the bunch),  and my nexus 7 2013 running L.  Out of all of them I like the G3 right now.  But when the new moto comes out it will get booted to the desk.  The only thing I wish ATT would wise up on is wireless charging the goofballs are using power mat PMA charging not Qi.

I guess im just a purist with android.  The s5 has to much samsung crap on it.  I want a phone I can customize thru and thru.  I do see your point about the apps that were removed tho.  Atleast ya got 14 days to return it.

as for the s5 with the 805 in it.  It will never make it to the states.  this one?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-UNLOCKED-SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S5-PRIME-LTE-A-SM-G906-32GB-WQHD-BLACK-Phone-/121367050935?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

It does not have band 4 lte according to the FCC certs.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

FYI:

In my opinion LG has done a MAJOR BLUNDER in removing the genius app "Wireless Storage". Non-owners of a LG G2 deserves an explanation. I hope LG also tap into this thread!

The LG G2 app "Wireless Storage" turns your LG G2 into a wireless harddrive that you can access EXACTLY LIKE you access the other harddrives integrated into or connected to your laptop. 

It is superconvenient because there are no special software needed to move files to and from the G2. You use Windows explorer as normal. LG G2 pops up as a connected hardrive. It is the first application I have ever seen that truly creates a seamless binding&integration between laptop and smartphone, which is exactly what I need in order to maintain my files. They are mostly music, pictures, ebooks, etc.

There are to my knowledge at the moment no other app available that turns your smartphone into a wireless harddrive.

Regrettably, on the LG G3 there is a "false" replacement with access through the LG PC suite, but to remain insane please just stay off this monstrous piece of software that takes more than 45 minutes just to download! It falls short of almost any competing media-manager, be it iTunes or whatever. For example, I have the music library positioned on seagate wireless harddrive, but that's fare too complicated for the LG PC suite for LG G3, while on the G2, I am at my laptop, where I drag some new music from the seagate and onto the G2.

I just hope LG makes life better than this, because the GL G3 is excellent in many ways. (An the new color scheme is to my liking, at last as a first impression)

Regards from Norway

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.