For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
cellnewbie09's profile

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 1:36 AM

Exact GPS location on Google Maps with Android?

Does Att block exact GPS location on Google Maps if I buy an Android phone?  Or do they force you to use and pay for ATT Navigator?

This may be a noob question but I have a old feature phone not on any OS.  Att blocks my exact GPS location when I use Google maps app (java version -- yeah my phone is old).  It only shows my approximate location based on the cell tower that I am on at any point in time -- Lame.

Oh and I am assuming Google Maps app is free and free to use, yes?  

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

11 years ago

@cellnewbie09 wrote:

Does Att block exact GPS location on Google Maps if I buy an Android phone?  Or do they force you to use and pay for ATT Navigator?

This may be a noob question but I have a old feature phone not on any OS.  Att blocks my exact GPS location when I use Google maps app (java version -- yeah my phone is old).  It only shows my approximate location based on the cell tower that I am on at any point in time -- Lame.

Google maps works just fine on AT&T. As with all Google apps it's free.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

If you have an old phone the issue is not AT&T, the issue is that your old phone does not have a GPS radio. Therefore, the phone and the Google maps java app use the AT&T cell towers to give you an approximate location.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@cellnewbie09 wrote:

This may be a noob question but I have a old feature phone not on any OS.

Even feature phones require an OS to operate.  They just use a cheaper proprietary OS, rather than a Android, Windows Phone, etc.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@cellnewbie09 wrote:

The app is free, and there is no charge for using the app itself.  But be aware that it uses the data network to stream map data constantly, so it will use your data plan.  So in that sense, its not completely "free".

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

11 years ago

@redpoint73 wrote:

@cellnewbie09 wrote:

The app is free, and there is no charge for using the app itself.  But be aware that it uses the data network to stream map data constantly, so it will use your data plan.  So in that sense, its not completely "free".

Any currently avaialble Android device on AT&T will have GPS location capability and use Google Maps if you desire.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I have a galaxy s3 on AT&T and have problems with Google Navigation.....constantly searching for GPS.....

Scholar

• 

312 Messages

11 years ago

@billwofna wrote:
I have a galaxy s3 on AT&T and have problems with Google Navigation.....constantly searching for GPS.....

Just saw this on Android Central hope it helps. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.