For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Girevik's profile

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

Monday, January 30th, 2012 1:11 AM

Error upgrading captivate

I've been trying to update my Captivate to Ginberbread, but keep getting the message "SGH-I897 cannot be updated".

Does anyone know why my phone won't update?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

12 years ago

Just in case anyone is having the same problem, I finally got my phone upgraded.  After trying everything I could think of on my phone, it finally occurred to me that the only variable I hadn't changed was the computer where I was doing the update.  I put Keis on my laptop and it upgraded fine from there.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

Where are you seeing this error? Are you using Kies Mini?

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

12 years ago

Yes, I am using Keis Mini.  It goes through the "downloading binary" step okay, but when it gets to the stage where it says it's applying the firmware it just sits there with no progress on the bar for a few minutes then shows the error.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

Have you considered doing a factory reset?

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

12 years ago

I've considered it, yes, but am holding off as a last resort.  I'm not 100% confident my backups will be restored in GB, and don't relish the idea of re-installing everything manually, so am hoping that I can find an alternate solution.

If I were to do a reset, would that take me all the way back to 2.1, or would it leave me on 2.2?

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

A reset won't take it back to stock, it keeps the phone on whatever version it's on now.

Scholar

• 

82 Messages

12 years ago

Well h-e-double-hockey sticks.  That didn't work either.  I wend and wiped my phone for nothing.  Oh well, maybe that will at least clear some of the flakey issues I've been seeing and clean up stuff I really don't  use but never deleted.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, but I'm starting to think it's a lost cause. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.