Posted Feb 10, 2011
2:29:19 PM
View profile
Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan
Edited by das8nt on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:33:32 PM

According to THIS POST on ANDROID CENTRAL, the document from AT&T shows you will have to give up your grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan if you choose to upgrade to one of their new "4G" phones. This truly is unbelievable... wait, no, it's believable of AT&T lately. What can they charge for and take away next??

Can AT&T do one more thing to turn people away from buying their new "the world's most powerful smartphone?"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 10, 2011 4:43:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

And now a reply from AT&T clarifying:

http://admin.androidcentral.com/att-clarifies-their-4g-policy

Sorry for the panic.

Accepted Solution

Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan

[ Edited ]
48 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(48)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 10, 2011 4:43:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

And now a reply from AT&T clarifying:

http://admin.androidcentral.com/att-clarifies-their-4g-policy

Sorry for the panic.

Re: Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan

2 of 49 (15,253 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 4:24:20 AM
(0)
Scholar

It does not matter, even if you thought you still have unlimited, your wrong, ALL unlimited plans have been changed to 5 gig..

http://forums.att.com/t5/LaptopConnect-Tethering-for/Laptop-Data-Connect-Unlimited-Plan/m-p/2665671#...

BAT:smileymad:

3 of 49 (15,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 7:04:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

5GB is still good with me. I constantly bust the 2GB level, but haven't yet used over 5GB. I even have Wifi around me 75% of my day. So, I'm good with "Unlimited" being capped at 5; take that away and I start to have a problem. I pay good $ to have NBA League Pass Mobile each year and I want to be able to watch the games anywhere I'm at, Wifi or not.

4 of 49 (15,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 10:15:48 AM
(0)
Mentor

This link shows the info about the Atrix data plans. Per current AT&T policy, if you currently have an unlimited Smartphone data plan, you can keep it when switching to a new Smartphone.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

5 of 49 (15,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 4:39:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

Check with AT&T, if you signed up for unlimited data plan before it was capped, then you still have truely unlimited data. I have checked with AT&T, and I'm still covered under the truely unlimited plan.

6 of 49 (14,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 4:58:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

I am trying to pre-order the phone now.  But when I get to check out, the price of the phone goes from $199 to $299. 

7 of 49 (14,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 7:13:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

$199 AFTER $100 rebate :smileysurprised:

BAT

8 of 49 (14,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 9:00:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same problem - I am switching from iPhone to Atrix but I have family plan and iPhone related data plans etc. I am hoping talking to someone at AT&T Sales will probably help. Issue is there is no way to change the phone/device and plan if you have a group/family plan and/or iPhone data plans. AT&T should really fix this to make it convienent for its customers. iPhone is a poor phone and those who want to switch should be able to do so without much hassle. I paid dearly for the iPhone at $400 and now I cannot switch even though I have had that stupid phone for over 2 years.

9 of 49 (14,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 5:25:17 AM
(0)
Teacher

so let me get this straight, right now i'm on Iphon/unlimited data plan and i'm planning to switch to the Atrix. When I do I will loose my unlimited data plan? ATT is forcing me to get the new 4g plan?

Thanks ATT, thanks alot.

10 of 49 (13,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 11:55:41 AM
(0)
Guru
No. Your unlimited plan will be honored.

11 of 49 (7,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 1:25:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

davidusr wrote:
No. Your unlimited plan will be honored.

You are SO SO WRONG, I'm more them happy to provide my account information, when I called, after I received a notice my Unlimited plan was Limited, they gave me ONLY three options, 1. When it reaches 5gig IT would STOP, 2. I could create a new 5gig contract, 3. I could cancel, So I been with them since 2006 .. I chose to CANCEL...

I even talked to the Sup.. It was not much of a choice.....

Your UNLIMITED Plan WILL NOT be honored.!!!!!

BAT:smileymad:

12 of 49 (7,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 3:12:02 PM
(0)
Guru
It's been argued on these forums for years, but the "unlimited plan has always had a 5 gig "soft" cap. My contract from 2003, when "unlimited" was 39.95, hD a 5 gig soft cap. And I'm sure, that for 95% of the people out there, 5 gig IS unlimited.

13 of 49 (7,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2011 8:29:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just talked to 2 Reps Yesterday..  One in the store, and 1 on the phone..  I had the Media Max Plan that allows unlimited data with 200 text messages..   They both told me the Internet is different for these new phones and you cannot use your old unlimited plan..   However If I choose to stay with my current phone HTC 8525 I can keep the unlimited data, if I decide to buy a new phone, then  I will have to go with one of their new data plans..  We are screwed...   My big problem is I really don't consider myself a heavy user, I checked my usages last month and it was 2.5MB  so I would have been over..   What gets me is the price..   $15 for 200mb  and $25 for 2 gig??  That's crazy...  If 2gig costs $25 bucks, then 1 gig should cost $12.50 bucks.  Not $15 for 2mb.. That is insane!   500mb should cost $6 bucks and 2mb should only cost $2 bucks..  That would be fair....     At anyrate anyone that has a chance of going over the 200mb limit should get the 2 gig package.  The Penalty's are killers for going over, and you would end up paying more for the $15 plan..   Just my Humble opinion..

14 of 49 (6,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2011 10:32:33 AM
(0)
Guru
Did any of you guys read the second post by das8nt? The AT&T reps are apparently clueless.

"We were just contacted by a representative from AT&T who saw our post about the leaked 4G policy memo, and wanted to clarify a very important point about their new 4G plans.  I quote:

Customers who currently have an unlimited plan can upgrade to a 4G device and keep their unlimited plans.

They did not dispute the validity of the leaked memo, but they were kind enough to tell us a part of the story that the original leak missed.  So put away those pitchforks.  Thanks for the clarification AT&T!"

Straight from the horses mouth.

15 of 49 (6,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2011 11:46:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yes I did, and it was after I read the post,  that they still told me no!    Also Maybe I missed something else here too, my unlimited plan also included text messaging..   If I'm reading correctly I'm guessing I will now also have to shell out another $10 a month just to use their minimum testing plan???

16 of 49 (6,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2011 1:43:13 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by erichamion on Feb 18, 2011 at 1:53:48 PM

If you currently have the $30 smartphone unlimited data plan (which does not include messaging), you can switch to the $30 smartphone 4G data plan.  If not, you have the choice between $15 and $25 4G data plans.  If you moved to a non-4G smartphone (and really, I believe that 8525 of yours is supposed to have the same requirement), the existing non-4G smartphone data plans have the same pricing structure, $15 for 200 MB and $25 for 2GB.

MediaMax is not a smartphone data plan.  Unlimited smartphone data (with the exception of a plan that was strictly for the original iPhone and no other device) has never been less than $30 and has never included messaging.

If you don't have too many people sending you text messages, you could drop the messaging plan entirely and use a free service like Google Voice.  It doesn't do MMS, but there are better ways to send attachments.  The main drawback is the need to tell people to use a different number to send messages to you.  Otherwise, yes, currently the smallest messaging package is 1000 messages for $10.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
17 of 49 (6,923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2011 3:35:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Wow, AT&T is making it soooo easy to decide.. It so nice to se a company make a service that is totally un-complex. I've seen some companies have so many plans you end up spending all day just trying to figure out what you need,,,:smileywink:

18 of 49 (6,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2011 5:44:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for the info!

The phone line my Atrix is going to be put on used to be for an iPhone, but I went from it to a low-end Nokia phone.  Hopefully I'll be able to get unlimited put back...

19 of 49 (6,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2011 1:05:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Nope, once you change off of and Unlimited there is no way for any reason they'll reverse the change.  As far as other non-Atrix phones go, yea you can keep an Unlimited plan or even move amoung the other Unlimited plans, but AT&T is trying to be slick and say that it is "NOT COMPATIBLE" with "features".  Obviously they aren't referring to the TCP/IP stack or all the other industry standards that phone/technology is compatable/compliant with.  So if you want to get an Atrix they wont honor what they say about keeping plans, you will have to be capped in with the 200 meg or 2 gig. 

Straight off their site when you go to upgrade (I have been with them for years and have Unlimited)

"Important Information:
The phone you've chosen is NOT COMPATIBLE with the following feature(s) currently on your account:

* Smartphone Personal

Note: To avoid excessive charges, please log into att.com/mywireless or call Customer Care at 800-331-0500 after you've activated your new device to remove your current incompatible feature(s) and to add new compatible feature(s) to your account. "

20 of 49 (6,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 2:59:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

Pity about being stuck without unlimited... oh well...  I likely wouldn't go over the 2GB limit, but I've thought about tethering to my desktop computer and nixing my DSL altogether... ($20 vs $50/month and all...)

If I had a line with an unlimited data plan and moved the SIM card onto the Atrix, would they then remove its unlimited data access?

21 of 49 (5,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 4:27:19 PM
(0)
Professor

This was posted by an AT&T rep on the official AT&T Facebook site today when he asked about keeping his unlimited data plan and getting the $199 upgrade price:

AT&T Hello Jim, I'm sorry if there was some confusion. The discounted price of the Atrix is $299. The retail price is $499. If a customer upgrades to one of the qualifying plans, Data Pro, Data Plus Personal, or Data Pro 4GB Personal an additional $100 rebate is included. If you have further questions you can contact me at attjulie@att.com.

Apparently, by their claims on Facebook, if you opt to keep the unlimited plan you don't qualify for the $100 rebate and your upgrade price will be $299. It will be interesting to see if this is true or if the reps there are just your typical clueless AT&T reps.

22 of 49 (5,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2011 5:44:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

SIM swapping wont change your data or voice plans, and in fact even with the message stating that the Atrix wouldn't work with the Unlimited plan the website would've allowed me to still have chosen among the Unlimited options and continue.  The problem is that the message indicates that there would be additional charges.  So it would appear that they are claiming they would be able to identify what kind of phone you have (easily done by the IMEI) and single it out for alternate data charges.  So the real question is are they bluffing or do they intend to hammer people with no data plan data rates until they break.

23 of 49 (5,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 9:16:27 PM
(0)
Mentor

I am the jim that posted that on Facebook. I received the same message from two different At&t reps, one was on the phone ant the other from Chris by email.  They could still be wrong, but it is obvious that At&t wants you to give up the unlimited plan for the $100.00 REBATE. I wish they would be honest and upfront about it though.

24 of 49 (5,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2011 11:17:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I agree, JiminSD, that up front an honest would be nice, but it wouldn't help sell powerful phones to power users.  We hog the network, the other 95% of users only take up something like 20% of the bandwidth.  So they are just trying to make us pay our fair share.  And... I'll admit it, I just don't want to :-)   But I will say this, it is more honest and direct than Verizon capping power user's speeds, in fine print, and still trying to sell them high end stuff with "Speeds Up To" type bold print advertising.

25 of 49 (5,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 12:28:59 AM
(0)
Scholar
Hope they don't do it though. It is not the $100 extra, It's the principle of it. I've been paying "my fair share" since day one I upgrade to Tilt 2 for $299 on a 2 year contract without the need of any data plan. I didn't use more than 50 MB a month for almost a year (and if you ever owned a Tilt 2, the webbrowsing experience is painfull, there's not even a decent Facebook app and I didn't use my phone as a radio either). Anyways, I still had to upgrade to the $30 unlimited data (where were the 200 MB and 2 GB plans when I needed them?). Of course, nobody forced me to get the Tilt 2 or even stay with AT$T but, I thought I'll keep this unlimited 'till I'll get a better phone. Now, I finally can experience some decent browsing and a better OS and once again AT&T comes and changes it's policies and the data plans the way fits them best. I don't know, I may not go over 2GB a month in the future but once again, it's just the principle of it. Don't care about the $100 extra but also don't care about the ETF either and at least I will get an LTE device. It's up to you, AT&T.

26 of 49 (5,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 20, 2011 2:15:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

I definately feel you on all points, escpecially the web browsing (I'm still rockin' the first Tilt...)  So yea, browser and facebook app will be a really nice change on the Atrix.  Athough, unlike you, I usually go through 4.5 gigs a month of podcasts alone with my current setup so I've truely been getting my money's worth all along.  But either way, my buddy has already ordered his so I'll probably just toss my SIM in his and get a clear clean answer to whether we can keep what we signed up for.  At 4G speeds I'd go through 2 gigs with a pocket dial  :smileywink:

27 of 49 (5,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 6:41:57 AM
(0)
Professor

JiminSD wrote:

I am the jim that posted that on Facebook. I received the same message from two different At&t reps, one was on the phone ant the other from Chris by email.  They could still be wrong, but it is obvious that At&t wants you to give up the unlimited plan for the $100.00 REBATE. I wish they would be honest and upfront about it though.

I'm inclined to believe that those reps don't know what they are talking about. That's not uncommon you know. The same rebate was offered with the HTC Inspire to get the upgrade price down to $99 and from what I am reading, not without glitches, those customers have been allowed to keep their unlimited data plans.

28 of 49 (5,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 10:01:12 PM
(0)
Guru
I was at the XDA forums reading about the Atrix. Theres a similar thread to this one. Several people there have been able to keep their unlimited plan after buying the Inspire 4G. You WILL be able to keep your unlimited plan. You may have to argue a bit and school some ATT reps to do so. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=959732

29 of 49 (5,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2011 9:05:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Glomag on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:51:24 AM

Who ever is making the decisions for AT&T data plan pricing and data plans for smart phones and in the case of Atrix the laptop dock should be fired if is it the CEO the Board of AT&T should fire him. The greed at AT&T is unbelievable, I have ordered the phone and am hoping AT&T wises up with the pricing of the laptop dock because a tethering plan for the laptop dock is like a AT&T charging me extra for speaking on the phone to make a voice activated call. {keep it courteous} guys at A&T and possibly Motorola are killing the reason for buying this phone maybe they love iPhone and Steve Jobs so much they do not want any competition despite the phone having all the problems which were blamed on the AT&T network.

Wake up {keep it courteous}guys - wise up and fix your plans and bundled offering prices. Also, grandfather in the data plans back including and specially those who switch from the dumb iPhoneX. Also, allow existing phone owners to be able to order the dock at the bundled price or lower. It isnt my fault I did not order the {word filter evasion} dock because AT&T is too {word filter evasion} greedy. Or maybe, I should just return the package unopened back when the FedEx guys show up to deliver my new phone.

[ Edited ]
30 of 49 (5,309 Views)