The Samsung Galaxy S24
zepians's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Saturday, January 25th, 2014 2:20 AM

4G LTE data is overriding my WiFi

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note i717 (the first Note).

Just recently I noticed that my 4G LTE icon on the top of my phone's screen is showing up along with my wifi icon, and therefore my phone is running on the mobile data rather than wifi, which caused me to go over the stupid data limit and I was charged for a new data cycle.

Anyways, according to my phone, I AM connected to my wifi, (or any open wifi depending on where I am), yet my phone still is using the data.  The only way for me to use the wifi is to go into Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data where I have to uncheck the Mobile Data box.  Then, I have to restart my phone in order for the wifi to pick up, even though the wifi icon is showing on the top of my screen. 

Then when I go somewhere where there is no wifi and I need the internet, I have to physically go back into the Settings and enable the mobile data connection.  Then when I get home (or wherever there is an open wifi) I have to remember to disable the Mobile Data, then restart my phone to use the wifi. 

THIS IS VERY ANNOYING, NOT TO MENTION INCONVENIENT.  This just suddenly started happening on its own a couple weeks ago. 

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi zeplans,

I apologize you're having these issues with your Note. I have saw this before in a few devices. Some things to look at:

• Remove any apps that control data or WiFi
  • Remove any newly installed apps.
  • Remove the battery and and SIM card for about 5 minutes and then reinsert and power back on
  • Ensure you are within range of the WiFi network. Sometimes if your phone is not picking up a quality network signal, your phone may swich back to LTE.
  • Is your phone fully up to date with all software updates?

Also, I would suggest going to a local Comapny AT&T Store and getting a new SIM card, which can fix a lot of connectivity issues.

Hope this helps!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I have a similar issue on my GS3 since the Jelly Bean 4.3 update.
WiFi won't even work anymore as long as mobile data is turned on.

Have to manually turn mobile data off/on to make WiFi work when you need it. Or to save the data usage.

AT&T Tech Support said they had other calls on this but have nothing to offer.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

I ended up having to do a complete hard reset.  There were other issues my phone was having as well, such as connectivity problems - for some reason even though the phone was showing I was connected to my WiFi I was unable to access the web or anything - no email, facebook, browser, nothing.  I would get a message like 'connection error', in which case I would have to power off the phone and restart it.  It seemed that between connection errors and switching back and forth between data and wifi all I was doing was turning off and restarting the phone.

I had connection problems with my last two smartphones as well and I had to do hard resets on them as well.  Probably at AT&T thing.  The salesguy at At&T was useless; all he wanted to do was sell me a new phone.

So anyways for now, it's working fine.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I also went ahead and did a full reset and everything is good again.

Here's the way to do it.

Download Kies3 to your computer and install it.

Run it and back up everything in the phone.

Hard reset the phone.

When it comes back, don't put in any google addresses, emails, or wifi passwords.

Just get to the home screen.

Connect again to Kies3 and restore from the file you saved.

Your phone will come back to life and even the wifi passwords will be there.  Most apps will be current, some will have to update via Play store.

All texts are there too.

All custom ringtones and pictures as well.

However you will have to link the ringtones again.

Bluetooth is restored but would not connect to my car.  Had to delete the pairing in my car and redo it.

All in all, it took about 3 hours from start to finish.

But the phone is good, no problems.

Samsung and AT&T could save us alot of grief by avoiding this 3 hour step.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hello. I encountered the same thing. What's happening is that AT&T is controlling our phone's connectivity controls rather than allowing our freaking phone to do it like it should. They did this on the sly and I'm sure racked up millions in data overage charges on millions of unsuspecting customers. It's not their right to control our phone's settings. I don't think removing their app will fix it. I'm complaining to someone, but not sure who.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@Howard3 wrote:
Hello. I encountered the same thing. What's happening is that AT&T is controlling our phone's connectivity controls rather than allowing our freaking phone to do it like it should. They did this on the sly and I'm sure racked up millions in data overage charges on millions of unsuspecting customers. It's not their right to control our phone's settings. I don't think removing their app will fix it. I'm complaining to someone, but not sure who.

@Howard3

Incorrect.  

If you are having trouble understanding and controlling data, this article may help explain.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress/ba-p/4323575

BTW. iPhones are well known for data overage due to connecting to cellular over wifi.  BUT! iPhone also have ZERO carrier software.  No carrier controls how iPhones work!

Your phone is not under remote control by ANY carrier.  The top bar of your phone will show all possible connections, irregardless of connection.  You can turn on Bluetooth, NFC and have nothing to connect to, those will still show.  

My phone and tablet always show wifi and Cellular in the top bar.  It will ALWAYS, ALWAYS show the status of your cellular connection on a phone.  I have never had excess data charges.  

Your PHONE IS designed to chose the best connection possible.  Usually wifi is that connection.  But if your wifi is unstable, very poor, or congested with wifi only devices, your phone has no choice but to choose a viable connection.  

You can force your phone to use wifi by restricting background data, turning off wifi assist and making sure all apps are set to use wifi only for services.  Many of these settings are within the app itself (i.e. Facebook, YouTube and other social media)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Three years later and we are having the same problem now! Any help?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@Stewjen   Read my post....

Read the included link.   

If you have specific questions, happy to help, just fire away.   

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

How do you back up your phone, to your computer with this ap? I am confused?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I am confused. How do I get my phone to back up to my computer, using that Ap?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.