The Samsung Galaxy S24
killerskullz's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, September 8th, 2012 4:39 PM

Samsung Captivate Glide Update PROBLEM!

Hello,

I updated my Captivate Glide to the Androd 4.0 version via the official ATT/Samsung directions found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00048593&fm_seq=53023

However, after I successfully updated my phone, I have noticed some weird bugs. First off (and the most major one), THE KEYBOARD DOESN'T LIGHT UP... That's a big bummer, does anyone know how to fix it? And also, the phone seems to lag at times when scrolling or just navigating web pages... That's just a minor issue though. But does anyone have a SOLUTION for the backligh on the keyboard not working? ATT/Samsung fix the problem please!!!!

Thanks

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

This is the chat info I got with a Samsung tech support operator about getting Gingerbread back on my phone... Just FYI

Suzanne: I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will be happy to help.

Suzanne: As most of the users after updating the device are experiencing multiple issues, in this case please contact any near by AT&T store and get the device re flashed to Android 2.3.

Visitor: So I have to go to AT&T store to fix this? Will they fix it? I don't want them saying "No,. you have to contact samsung"

Suzanne: Yes, they will re flash the device firmware back to Android 2.3.

Scholar

• 

108 Messages

11 years ago

Just received a update on my phone that fixes the keyboard light  Smiley Happy

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

How and from whom???? Did it come to your phone? A link? Expound please!

Scholar

• 

108 Messages

11 years ago

it came to my phone from at&t

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks! I guess I'll play the waiting game....(but all the duplicate texts--sometimes over 100, may have me flashing back to gingerbread soon)

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Emailed support about the update and got the following response:

Effective November 8, 2012, a software update for the Samsung Captivate Glide is available to AT&T customers, via cellular or Wi-Fi, who previously upgraded to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) (OS 4.04, Baseband version: I927UCLH2).

Included in Update:

• Fixes the backlight of the physical keyboard that resulted from ICS, Baseband version: I927UCLH2.

o The update was only available from September 7, 2012, through September 12, 2012, and was accepted by a limited number of customers.

o Currently when the physical (QWERTY) keyboard is opened, the backlight may not illuminate for customers who downloaded that version of ICS. This update corrects it.

• Google applications such as Gmail, Maps, Play, Books, etc., may be updated to the current versions.

Please follow the steps below to download the update:

1. Tap Menu (or the Applications icon from the Home Screen).

2. Tap Settings.

3. Tap Software Update.

4. Tap Check for Updates.

5. Message Displays: The software update process does not delete any personal data on your phone. Check the AT&T server for new software update?

6. Tap OK.

o The download for the software update will begin in a moment. The software download may take several minutes.

7. Message Displays: A new software update from AT&T is available for your device. This software update will take several minutes and will not delete any personal data on your device. All services (including emergency calls) will be suspended during the install.

8. Tap Continue.

o The device automatically restarts once the new software has successfully downloaded.

o Status Message: Update complete. The software has been successfully installed. Your device is now ready to use.

Although the instructions on how to get to the software update page was not accurate, at least for me, I am currently attempting to update. I am getting the message that an update is available, but the servers are busy, but my phone will keep trying until successful. I hope this is helpful to others!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ADVISE!!! THIS WORKED!!!

ress the lock/power button and the home screen button at the same time. You just have to press and hold both buttons. It takes about 2 seconds now, as it used to be almost instant.

GREAT ADVISE 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

So unfortunately I fell for the ICS update as well.

I have no problems with the phone other than the phone telling me the battery is "critically low" and shuts down at random itervals. This is regardless of how much charge the battery actually has. This typically happens at about 60% battery level left. The second I plug the phone into a charger, the phone will turn back on.

Things I've tried to fix this: factory resetting twice, clearing the cache partition twice, and re-installing ICS once....to no avail.

Did anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I am wondering if it is now safe to try to update my OS. I have read through the comments in this section and am still unsure if I should try it on my captivate glide. Is there a way to back up the data on my phone (and games) before I try it? I know it says it won't hurt our personal data, but I'm cautious. I've seen the iOS updates brick hubby's phone more than once.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Let me warn you now, like I wish I had been warned before I upgraded my Galaxy S2.  I didn't lose anything on the upgrade from 2.3.6 to 4.0.3, at least not the first time.  But my upgrade fixed a few issues and created a few others.  Basically, I didn't feel I got much from the effort, despite my initial high interest/expectations.  What I finally did was opt to go to an AT&T "Device Store" (not the usual store, and 25 miles away) to to a full wipe and reinstall of 4.0.3.  Now, in advance of doing that, I used "My Backup" from rerware.com to backup all my stuff.  Or so I thought.  Here's the part I missed:  Unless you root your phone, it WON'T BACKUP app *DATA* for most apps!!!!!  It works only for "supported" 3rd party apps, which didn't cover enough.

You can also try donation-ware MyPhoneExplorer, which I use to sync my calendar/contacts/todo with Outlook.  (I don't like to sync things with Google.)  It also claims to have a backup capability.  I've started using it recently and it LOOKS LIKE it's getting pretty much all the folder structure to include 3rd party folders, but I have not yet tried to restore anything, so I cannot vouch for it for that purpose.

In any event, I'd suggest you spend an hour thinking carefully about every app that has data you value.  Be sure you know its status, so far as your backup is concerned.  I believe it will be time well spent and will save you frustration later.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.