The Samsung Galaxy S24
hertzsae's profile

Scholar

• 

50 Messages

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 7:38 PM

Request for Google Wallet

AT&T please allow google wallet to install on our phones. I have a Galaxy S2 i777 which I bought hoping that I'd be able to someday use the NFC chip. Google just made their wallet app awesome today. From my understanding AT&T is the only reason that I can't install it.

They call it death by a thousand paper cuts. This isn't the reason, but it's added to a list of many that I'll be shopping for new carriers when my contract is up if you don't start changing you policies.

Scholar

• 

50 Messages

12 years ago

I was under the impression

@realized wrote:
Google wallet will never work on the sgs2,note,or skyrocket..

Google wallet requires a secure element which none of the phones have... It's a chip in the phone that Google wallet needs to work... If you get Google wallet installed, it won't work and will just give you an error..

Our only options are 1) upgrade to the s3. Root the phone and modify a few files.. 2)wait for isis or 3) wait for secured element Sims to be sold and hope somebody modifies Google wallet to use the sim.

I was under the impression that the latest google wallet update moved the secure elements to the cloud. It could be that they still need the secure elements chip.

I would accept it if my phone is not compatible due to a real technical issue like that. That's a problem I can fix with a new phone. What I'm not fine with is the fact that the AT&T will not allow phones with the required hardware to run Google Wallet.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I wannt google wallet! Will switch to sprint if att doesnt stop dictating

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

12 years ago

I'll paraphrase what I learned on Xda-Developers: the new Google Wallet sotres a single, virtual credit card number in the secure element, and that card number is proxied to one of your real card numbers in the cloud.  It was a way for google Wallet to support multiple credit cards, but it still requires the secure element.

So, we're still stuck.  Doesn't at&t realize Google Wallet is one of the hopes I had when I bought this phone from them?!

Scholar

• 

50 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for that info Trinition. I won't expect it to ever work on my S2 then. I've been a mostly happy customer for a long time.

Free tethering (I should not have to pay twice for my data) and google wallet are the two features that I will be looking for on my next phone. Let's hope that I don't have to switch carriers to achieve it.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Mobile Share will allow you to tether with the data that you already have.  As far as using Google Wallet on AT&T, you may be limited to the Galaxy Nexus for now.

Scholar

• 

50 Messages

12 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

Mobile Share will allow you to tether with the data that you already have.  As far as using Google Wallet on AT&T, you may be limited to the Galaxy Nexus for now.

Mobile share would also significantly raise my bill. $110/month for using slightly more than 1GB a month through a single phone does not sound like a good deal to me. If I pay for 2GB a month (non mobile share), then I should get to use that tethered or not.

Verizon customers are fortunate due to the fact that their carrier is beholden to extra rules that protect the customers:

http://gigaom.com/mobile/fcc-tells-verizon-you-cant-block-tethering-apps-verizon-settles-for-1-25m/

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Tethering is also included in the 5GB data plan that AT&T has now.

While VZW customers may be able to tether, I hardly consider us (since I have an account there, too) fortunate.

Scholar

• 

50 Messages

12 years ago

Yes it is available on the 5GB plan, but that's also an extra $20/month ($240/yr or $480/contract length) that I don't need to spend for data that I'm already buying.

If we're not vocal, it's not going to change.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Bought SGS3 to use Google Wallet but looks like is not allowed by AT&T. So lame...

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

I don't know about the GS3, but on I777 it's starting to look like a fundamental technical limitation of the phone.

To my knowledge, Google Wallet is not running on any I9100P device either.  The "P" is an I9100 variant with NFC added - the I777 is almost identical to the P except for the touchkeys and call audio configuration.

However I'm disappointed that AT&T has been outright removing NFC from their I777 releases even though it DOES have uses other than GW.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.