The Samsung Galaxy S24
sonicthoughts's profile

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 10:43 PM

Galaxy S3 glass Cracked - no drop - in pocket 4 hours after purchase!

The glass has a small crack that is starting to spider.  I just bought this phone!  Was told that becuase of physical damage, it cannot be exchanged.  I've read numerous reports of galaxy s III cracked screens without drops.  Isn't this a manufacturing defect?  Putting it in a pocket causes a crack!  I now want to return and get the NOTE II since it seems to have a better design but AT&T won't accept return - any suggestions?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Reach out to Samsung USA on Twitter or Facebook.  I don't know that they will do anything about it, but they're more likely to do something in this situation rather than the carrier.

If you get a replacement device of either the Galaxy S III or the Galaxy Note II, consider the folio case that covers the screen.  I think that there was a reason that Samsung made these for those phones.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

The same thing happened to mine a week after I got it. I didnt bother going thru ATT becuase I knew they would have said it voided the warranty. I went thru Samsung. I had to pay 170, but thats better than paying the 325 for insurance claim thru ATT. From shipping to Samsung and getting it back was a week tops.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This same exact thing happened to me. I completed a 15 minute phone conversation, set the phone down on my coffee table, and noticed what I thought was a hair--nope, it was a crack. I talked to AT&T, Costco (where I bought the phone), and finally Samsung, who told me it would be $178.50 to replace the screen. I have had the phone for two weeks--never dropped it once.

This is ridiculous...Samsung needs to acknowledge this issue and replace the broken phones that screens have cracked on their own. The Samsung representative acknowledged the phone might have overheated, but said the only option was to have the screen replaced.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note that is 2 Weeks Old and has a Cracked Screen. The ATT store in Grapevine basically said it was my problem and not a defect with the design.  I have no phone now, will have to return to the store tomorrow and have my 4 year old iPhone reactivated.  The Galaxy Note is DEAD.. they seemed to know exactly what was causing my problems. How many other people have had similiar issues with the 5" screen.  In less than 3 weeks I have a worthless 500.00 phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Based on the comments here, there is a definite design flaw with the Glass and Case, I have had my phone 2 weeks and I am meticulous when it comes to caring for my Electronics.  My Sony MP3 player is 4 years Old and has never failed.  My iPhone 3S is over 3 years old and I upgraded based on the ATT pitch that the phone was rated in the Top 3 at the Las Vegas Electronics Convention.  It appears as though Apple stands behind its products better than Samsung?

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

11 years ago

I wish I could help here. All I can say is I live at altidude and frequently wonder and wish........why dont manufacturers take into account severe temp traveling or work conditions? I wish manufactures of all devices consider a VERY rugged lifestyle. I have a feeling cracked screen here is just something like .......greater the surface area the easier it is to break......it only easy to break cause it not tough.......Yeah your company make "tough" product but I still want your best product.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@turpinator wrote:
I wish I could help here. All I can say is I live at altidude and frequently wonder and wish........why dont manufacturers take into account severe temp traveling or work conditions? I wish manufactures of all devices consider a VERY rugged lifestyle. I have a feeling cracked screen here is just something like .......greater the surface area the easier it is to break......it only easy to break cause it not tough.......Yeah your company make "tough" product but I still want your best product.

Some manufacturers specialize in more durable phones, such as Casio and CAT.  Those are probably better phones to consider than Samsung's Galaxy S III or Galaxy Note II if you know that you live or work in extreme conditions.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

If you have an American Express card, I suggest you buy all your electronics with it.  90 day no questions asked guarantee against loss, damage, and theft.  And they double the manufacturer's warranty on the product.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Agreed, this was the reason Nokia avoided make glass cap. touchscreen since they don't meet their minimum durability test. The only solution to the S3 and other glass phones is a polymer/glass screen sheet or a flip case.

The cracked phones have become a cash cow for the smartphones makers and a emerging phone case industry is profiting too.

Armor up. :]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am soooo disappointed with the quality of my s3. I had it for only 5 days when the screen cracked after being dropped in the grass.Seems this second version of gorilla glass is worse than the previous generation. I have never owned a phone that fragile. What's worse is that  this issue is quite widespread its not just a couple of people. Yet no one is stepping up and standing behind their product and making it right.  I am really disappointed. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.