The Samsung Galaxy S24
brianreigh's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 5:18 PM

Galaxy S III Jelly Bean

Does anyone know when ours is coming? Sprint got theirs in October, and T-Mobile is pushing out the update today... I don't understand why it's taking AT&T so long

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I say we keep discussing it on here, it's not like they read these forums anyways. It's the only way for us to get up to date, since they are incompetent in doing so. I'm seriously afraid this , we won't get another update. I have never seen anything like this, seriously what does their Android software people do, I know , hardware engineer though, but I'm pretty sure iI could do this faster than they could. You are pathetic At&t.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I called at&t Tech support Yesterday and the person I spoke to had never heard of Samsung Kies and also said that rollouts are the reponsibility of Samsung.  I asked her to check on when they were going to roll JB out on S3 and she was reading to herself and I said "Did you just google that?"  Apparently she did.

These people are screwed in the head.

Give us our update or take back this device!

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

11 years ago

[Originally posted on XDA]

I received this interesting email early this morning from Samsung TS after inquiring about Kies not specifying the correct Broadband Version on my GS3, which is I747UCLH9. I have left this unedited except where I bolded information for emphasis.

Dear Randy,

Thank you for your correspondence. We understand that you have attempted to update the Firmware version of your phone via Kies version 2.5.0.12104_1. We also understand that you would like to know why your phone [Not my phone, but what Kies displayed as my phone’s current BV.] is still shows the Baseband Version I747UCLG1 instead of the most updated one. You also would like to inform us that the phone is not rooted. We do apologize for the inconvenience that this issue might have caused you.

Please check the information below this is the content of the broken link that was provided from the previous e-mail that you have received.

OS Version History Currently, this mobile device is operating on Android™ version 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (I747UCLI5 / I747UCLH9).

Version Date Released I747UCALI5 10/11/2012 This update was applied to newly produced devices. Existing customers will receive these updates during the next scheduled OTA from AT&T. [What the heck is this? As you’ll see below, it refers to “Google Android update release 4.0 r5”.]

Browser Improvements

Google Android update realease 4.0 r5:

Maps 6.10.0

Chrome 18.0.1025171

This update includes the latest versions of the Google Play applications, plus stability fixes for Google Talk, Gallery, Play Music and YouTube.

Also included are layout fixes for Google Login and Voice IME.

I747UCALH9 09/18/2012 This update is delivered OTA.

NFC is enabled for ISIS MR

AllShare Cast is implemented

Google+Photos widget is removed

Flipboard APK is updated Maximum size to retrieve email. The "ALL" option has been added.

Various TouchWiz improvements

Enhanced Email APK

Power saving mode improvements

Improved Calender APK

Keyboard enhancements

I747UCALG1 07/10/2012

Quick Search Box APK is updated by Google.

I747UCALEM 06/21/2012 Initial Release

Addendum: After posting this, another XDA’er found the following:

“That version is in this forum. Ripped from someone who had sent it in for repairs. Att has not released it yet.”

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33500511

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

I'm not at all surprised by At&T's incompetence and untimely firmware updates in regards to the SGS3. I upgraded from the Captivate and it had the same long wait for Gingerbread. This just shows that At&t haven't learned from past mistakes and continue to be unreliable with Android updated IMO.

Mentor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

This is all more reason to switch to Google when they become a carrier next year. My famiily and I have been with ATT for over 15 years, and we are getting tired of their run arounds. Customer service is terrible, and the amount of money that all of their customers give them is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised that ATT is holding out on releasing this due in part to loving Apple so much. If ATT wants to claim to be the best carrier out there, prove it. Give us the latest updates, let us use Google Wallet, let us use our phones the way we want to use them.

Google as a carrier? I'm liking the sound of that every single day. I'll dip out of my contract in a heart beat as soon as Google is up and running.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am a wireless engineering consultant. I have many years working the switch/RF engineering and CTTP.  I had a Galaxy Infuse. It took forever to get Gingerbread. Now I am getting the SGS3.  I all ready know they have the upgrade ready.  They hold back completely because of the high executive marketing, and CIO's, CFO's and CEO's because of the bucks and how it will related to the high selling iPhone and things of that Nature.  That is just the way AT&T operates.  Samsung will deliver the packages that ATT request and then they will field test them, tweek them a bit, and then do a final CTTP and after that, it is pretty much up to the marketing dept to release it.  I read a few posts up, it's all about the money.  I can say that cause I have been working this industry for twenty years.  I am more on the high tech end, like the Lucent, Nortel switches/MTX and stuff, but I have worked right along with the RF Engineers who drive test and optimize it.  Onething I will say, the software that the cell sites have use, has to be majorly adjusted to accomodate the model of handsets.... Good luck getting a date of release.  They will just one day release it.   Thanks...

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the background. While my professional niche is on the management side in an unrelated field, I will agree with your point regarding Marketing, regardless of the industry. They do drive a large piece of product release but there are so many factors involved in launching a new product (or parts, updates, etc.), it is by no means a CEO (or equivalent) pushing the 'Go' button per se.

I invite you & others here to a lengthy discussion on this update at XDA, which has now morphed into a wide-ranging discussion encompassing all angles surrounding it, e.g.., technology, business, economics, etc. with a bit of fun mixed in to make it even more interesting.

This link takes you the latest update as I write this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1984126&page=37.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@whitnasty1 wrote:
I say we keep discussing it on here, it's not like they read these forums anyways. It's the only way for us to get up to date, since they are incompetent in doing so. I'm seriously afraid this , we won't get another update. I have never seen anything like this, seriously what does their Android software people do, I know , hardware engineer though, but I'm pretty sure iI could do this faster than they could. You are pathetic At&t.

You have a point there. Remember the original Galaxy S update debacle? The only reason why the carriers were finally pushed to release the update was because of the extremely vocal #NeverAgain internet campaign, where a lot of people got extremely upset with Samsung.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

In my curiosity to see if At&t is even reading this thread, I created a new screen name. It was originally "Up_Yours_Atandt." Well they changed it. Not sure if that is automatically done or not though.

P.S. Here is another thread on XDA with an At&t employee claiming inside info on the next update for the SGS3.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2009934

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

LTE isn't a big deal.  Like I said I went from GS3 and with day to day use I don't really see the big deal of 4G LTE.  I get good speeds with 4G and, for me, it still feels plenty fast while using data.  The Nexus also is a lot higher quality then my plastic, cheap feeling GS3.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.