Get the myAT&T app
gp2001's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, November 27th, 2014 1:30 AM

upgrade

I have the galaxy S3 & wanted to upgrade to to the Note 4. When i went to the att store, I was told that my bill would go up on either the two year contract or the "next" plan. I have never heard of this or the next plan & after the plans were explained it sounded more like a mortgage plan. Im not sure who developed this crazy idea but neither sound affordable. Has anyone tried to upgrade and see their bill go up? Do these plans Seem fair?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

If you are on the Mobile Share Data Plan, yes, your monthly cost will increase. If you get the subsidized upgrade, you will lose your monthly discount of $15 to $25 (depenign on data plan) per month for being out of contract, plus you pay a $40 upgrade fee.

If you purchase using NEXT, you keep the monthly discount but then have to pay full price for the phone over the 18 - 24 months NEXT plan. 

You need to determine which way saves you the most money.

AT&T (and most of the other providers) lowered their monthly plan cost but no longer subsidize phone costs. One way or another, you are going to pay for the phone, either by paying full price through NEXT or by losing the monthly, out of contract discount.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.