Get the myAT&T app
Fossil.east's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 1st, 2014 8:29 PM

Why does it cost $5.00 per month per line to block telemarketers and other unwanted calls?

I think this is an outrageously high cost. I'd venture that a 25₵ monthly charge (per bill) to allow users to manage this feature through their accounts would not only cover the infrastructure cost of providing the service but would be at least modestly profitable for AT&T.

Must every service yield a 200%+ profit margin? As this is a safety and privacy enhancement for the customer as well as a feature that land line providers make a available at minimal or no cost, it seems very reasonable to expect as much from a mobile service provider.

These unwanted calls are already a cost to the customer. Paying the current fee still requires you to call Customer Service to have a number blocked which is an unnecessary waste of time. I for one would gladly pay a modest monthly fee for a service that required no interaction by AT&T personnel.

This type of feature should be included in any service plan for exponentially less thank the current charges.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

Certain phones have this function for free, or have an app that you can install instead of paying for Smart Limits each month.

As the above poster stated, there are more services included other than just blocking numbers.

As well as this is supposed to be a self managed feature, you aren't supposed to call AT&T to add the blocked numbers....they just give you the option to be able to if you are unable to make the changes on the website.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Fossil.east wrote:

I think this is an outrageously high cost. I'd venture that a 25₵ monthly charge (per bill) to allow users to manage this feature through their accounts would not only cover the infrastructure cost of providing the service but would be at least modestly profitable for AT&T.

Must every service yield a 200%+ profit margin? As this is a safety and privacy enhancement for the customer as well as a feature that land line providers make a available at minimal or no cost, it seems very reasonable to expect as much from a mobile service provider.

These unwanted calls are already a cost to the customer. Paying the current fee still requires you to call Customer Service to have a number blocked which is an unnecessary waste of time. I for one would gladly pay a modest monthly fee for a service that required no interaction by AT&T personnel.

This type of feature should be included in any service plan for exponentially less thank the current charges.

because it is not just for blocking numbers there are other features included in the package.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Maybe AT&T should create a call blocking feature all by itself! That's ridiculous and all because it's lumped together in a service you charge $5 a month for with features mostly unused! Get a grip AT&T! This is a massive problem and you should strive to be a part of the solution, not an addition to the problem!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

What all is included with the call block feature that cost $5 per line? Is the $5 monthly charge for each landline or is it for all phones on that line?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

What everyone is looking for is a service like Nomorobo, which is only working on Landlines.  They have created an app for mobile, but have a wait list. 

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/19/technology/robocall-strike-force/index.html

image.png

Att has a service but it will not block spoofed or robo calls.  Many smartphones have a blocking feature, which also cannot filter out these calls.

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.