Posted Oct 27, 2013
The "insurance" you offer is fake

I love your fake insurance that you offer to your customers. You took my money every month and when I actually had a damaged phone my options were "insurance claim $200.00", upgrade $100-$200 or replacement with A LESSER phone. Insurance by design is to make a person whole on their loss not a lesser product....

Ok fine I have played your stupid games for YEARS so I know every time I walk into that store you will get $200 out of me one way or another. It's a fact I accepted a long time ago. So today I went in to just replace my phone. I had a 4S but you couldn't even do that for me. Nope. i was offered a subpar lesser version with less gigs because YOU stopped making it. Of course you did! So here I am typing on my BRAND NEW phone that cost me a ton of out of pocket money AGAIN. Every time I use it all I will think if is how much I hate hate hate your lying disgusting racket you put all of yoir customers through. Why if something goes wrong you can't just make us even and not the hazing ritual all of us have just come to accept and expect! You make me sick....

The "insurance" you offer is fake

42 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(42)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)

Actually, Apple stopped making it.

Re: The "insurance" you offer is fake

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)

The reason for Mobile Insurace is so you don't have to pay the full amount for another phone if it does in fact get lost or broken.  I don't know about you... but I'd much rather pay $200 for a $500 item if I had the chance to.  It's just like health insurance.  You pay a certain amount every month, then when it comes time to actually use it, you only pay a certain percentage.

Many apologies that Apple stopped making the phone that you had, but that is not AT&T fault; they cannot control what the manufacturers want to continue to make or stop making.

Also, AT&T does not personally provide the insurance, they go through Asurion. Going back to health insurace...  if you're unhappy about the percentage you have to pay, you wouldn't be upset with the hospital (AT&T), you would be upset with the insurance provider (Asurion).  This is why it's important to read the terms and conditions and everything in between before agreeing to something.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 30, 2013
(0)
I was sent a refurbished iPhone, and am being charged $200 for it, which is a 32G white iPhone 4S. They are now selling these on their website for $0.99 with a new two year contract. With Verizon if something happens to your phone, you are not required to get the same one, just one in the same price range. I will be switching! Their plans are also less expensive and they have larger data packages.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 30, 2013
(0)

Emholland90 wrote:
I was sent a refurbished iPhone, and am being charged $200 for it, which is a 32G white iPhone 4S. They are now selling these on their website for $0.99 with a new two year contract. With Verizon if something happens to your phone, you are not required to get the same one, just one in the same price range. I will be switching! Their plans are also less expensive and they have larger data packages.

No, 200.00 is NOT the price of the phone, that is the subsidized price of the phone with a 2 year commitment. If  a new Iphones 4S was still available you would be paying the retail cost of the device - around 700.00, not the 0.99 cents you claim unless you where eligible for full subsidized pricing.

As far as verizon goes, not sure where you heard that claim but it is incorrect, verizon's insurance will do the the exact same thing. Err no verzion does not have "larger data packages; they only have 1 data package - the share everything plan, which is on par to the other carriers cost.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2013
(0)
I see a few more people here feel scammed by AT&T and Asurion's legalized swindle scheme.

Sad really that so many employees defend the practice of selling a terrible insurance policy to AT&T customers. Knowing the level of dissatisfaction this policy brings on people, and you just continue to take their money. Think about the fact that most people who pay for insurance probably never file a claim, so they don't even know they're being swindled.

To the folks complaining, I sympathize with you. You've been victimized by corporate thieves. Unfortunately there is no recourse but at least your voice is heard.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2013
(0)

This is why it's wise to read the Terms and Conditions, regardless of what it is for; insurance for your phone, your pet, or you.  Asurion is not the only wireless insurance company, either.  If you feel something may not seem right after reading the T&C's, do some research and go with something else that fits you better.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2013
(0)

kpryan1982 wrote:
I see a few more people here feel scammed by AT&T and Asurion's legalized swindle scheme.

Sad really that so many employees defend the practice of selling a terrible insurance policy to AT&T customers. Knowing the level of dissatisfaction this policy brings on people, and you just continue to take their money. Think about the fact that most people who pay for insurance probably never file a claim, so they don't even know they're being swindled.

To the folks complaining, I sympathize with you. You've been victimized by corporate thieves. Unfortunately there is no recourse but at least your voice is heard.

the policies, requirements and related cost are all documented, not taking the personal responsiblity to review all the terms of a binding agreement does not make ANY corporation thieves

People who read the requirements know what they are getting into and are not taken in, the term of this is "A informed consumer", you are aware that your auto and home/retnal insurance poilcies have deductables right?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 5, 2013
(0)
I bought my car insurance from a guy named Bob. Bob is an insurance man, insurance is what Bob does. One thing Bob does is he always makes sure his customers know what their out of pocket expenses will be before signing them up for a policy. Why? Well, as an insurance man Bob knows that if his customers end up being dissatisfied with their coverage and expenses, he will be held personally responsible.

Now if Bob, like AT&T, knowingly sold insurance like that from Asurion- a company with about the worst possible track record in customer satisfaction that I could ever imagine- he wouldn't last very long in the insurance business. There is more transparency in Bob's business- even if he wanted to exploit the average customer's vulnerabilities (which he wouldn't as he is a nice guy) he couldn't, because he'd go out of business.

AT&T, unlike Bob, has set up a device insurance sale scheme that exploits customer ignorance. Just read the literally thousands of online reviews panning the unreasonably high deductible, deriding the claims process, documenting the inability to replace like with like. And AT&T doesn't take responsibility for selling you a bad insurance policy; they just pass the buck to Asurion or blame the victim for not reading the fine print.

Bob doesn't do what AT&T does for two reasons. First of all he's honest. Second, he'd go out of business if his customers weren't satisfied with the insurance he sells them. If AT&T wants to stay in the insurance sales business, they could learn something from a pro like Bob.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 5, 2013
(0)

Bob is a licensed certified by the state requirements, they have to attend classes and pass their certification tests, it is not a walk in the park. no matter what bob tells you, you are still avoiding personal responsibility if you don;t read the policy and understand exactly what it says and what the requirements are.  You must be lucky to have Bob, have never had a insurance agent explain the details of a policy outside what the mandated state and local coverage is without asking detailed questions.

Be that as it may, the insurance offered by the carriers is not "fake", it is underwritten by Asurion and they had to submit it to each states insurance review board to have it authorized or else it could not be sold.

By the way Bob will absoultely not be held personally responsible for anything - Bob puts forth the possiblities and the infromed consumer selects what they feel they need, the decision is totally up to the informed consumer.

Bob, like att is not the insurance company, neither bob nor att underwrite the insurance policy. Asurion, Allstate, Gieco, and others are the underwrites the policies and dictates the requirements, Bob, att, sprint, verizon are the sellors, just like a retail cleck at radio snack

I reviewed the policy that is offered through asurion and compared it to a rider that I could get on my home owners - the home owners rider was better so I chose that for all the cell phones. the company phones are on the business's insurance policy

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 5, 2013
(0)
Wingrider you're not quite understanding my argument. Let me try to make it simple.

Bob is an insurance salesman and therefore must do a good job of selling insurance. To meet that end, he informs his customers of relevant info (ie premiums, deductibles, levels of coverage) about their policy at point of sale. He wants to make a sale but he wants to make the right sale. He needs happy customers to stay in business. He has happy customers because he is a good insurance salesman.

AT&T in contrast is bad at insurance sales. They regularly fail to inform customers of relevant info at point of sale, and they exclusively sell an inferior product (Asurion). If they were held to the same standards as Bob, they'd be out of the insurance sales business. They get away with it for a number of reasons and they will probably continue to dupe people for years to come, but I'm here to say we have a right to be heard. AT&T are pushing an inferior insurance product through dishonest sales tactics- they should stop out of human decency, but they won't because of the incremental increase in profits they get from their deal with Asurion.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 5, 2013
(0)

kpryan1982 wrote:
Wingrider you're not quite understanding my argument. Let me try to make it simple.

Bob is an insurance salesman and therefore must do a good job of selling insurance. To meet that end, he informs his customers of relevant info (ie premiums, deductibles, levels of coverage) about their policy at point of sale. He wants to make a sale but he wants to make the right sale. He needs happy customers to stay in business. He has happy customers because he is a good insurance salesman.

AT&T in contrast is bad at insurance sales. They regularly fail to inform customers of relevant info at point of sale, and they exclusively sell an inferior product (Asurion). If they were held to the same standards as Bob, they'd be out of the insurance sales business. They get away with it for a number of reasons and they will probably continue to dupe people for years to come, but I'm here to say we have a right to be heard. AT&T are pushing an inferior insurance product through dishonest sales tactics- they should stop out of human decency, but they won't because of the incremental increase in profits they get from their deal with Asurion.

the carriers are offering the coverage as a value added feature, it is up to you to review it and take the personal responsiblity of understanding exactly what the terms are, what the detrements are. Curious have you read your terms of service and fair use policy that you agreed to by signing? They are contractually binding

Funny if Asurion is such an inferior company I wonder why all the major carriers and some of the MVNO's utilze the company. If you watn to be accurate remove the ATT andd replace it with "All carriers"

Personal Responsibility

Have a great day.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 5, 2013
(0)
Asurion pays the carriers to sell their insurance at point of sale. I didn't say their company is inferior, I said their product is inferior. They've got good access to customers, and I'm sure they pay handsomely for it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2013
(0)

The real problem here is that you don't seem to understand depreciation. Using Gazelle as an estimate, the current value of your used 4S is about $150 (and that's assuming you had the most expensive model, 64 GB), so by giving you $200 for it, the insurance company gave you a great deal.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2013
(0)

neo979 wrote:

The real problem here is that you don't seem to understand depreciation. Using Gazelle as an estimate, the current value of your used 4S is about $150 (and that's assuming you had the most expensive model, 64 GB), so by giving you $200 for it, the insurance company gave you a great deal.

depreciaton has no meaning in this, same as in auto insurance - If you have a 1000.00 deductable on your car and your car is worth 1001.00 and you total it you get 1.00 paid to you by the insurance company. So by your estimation is ther 4S is worth 150.00 and the deducatable is 199.00 you owe the insurance company 49.00

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2013
(0)

Wingrider what you just said makes no sense at all. You don't "owe" the insurance company $49, you overpaid them by $49. But that's not even true in this case, because Asurion agrees to replace your phone, not to replace the value of your phone. Of course Asurion has a horrible track record in actually fulfilling their agreement, but that really goes without saying at this point.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2013
(0)
None of you have considered that the sales representative also is required to hold a certain percentage of insurance sales and their jobs are contingent on selling it to some extent. It's their jobs to advise the customer of the deductible but as said before the $200 deductible is far less than the retail value of replacing the device (5s starts at $649.99). Also, I've put my devices under my homeowners insurance which is better value. Either way, I would rather spend $200 over $650. That also said in the past when I have bought the insurance I've left it on for 90-180 days and then removed as statistics show that's when most issues take place. This comes down to knowing (as a consumer) what you're getting into

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)
The OP insured an iPhone 4S which does not retail for $650. And his complaint was that Asurion failed to offer him an iPhone 4S as replacement, but rather offered him a lesser device.

So for those of you continuing to defend AT&T and Asurion, please carefully read b

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)
both mine and the OPs posts before responding with your excuses for AT&T and Asurion's legalized insurance scam.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)
Its not an excuse, everything I said was 100% accurate. Also, if you read my post I use my homeowners insurance. I used the 5s as an example.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)

kpryan1982 wrote:

Wingrider what you just said makes no sense at all. You don't "owe" the insurance company $49, you overpaid them by $49. But that's not even true in this case, because Asurion agrees to replace your phone, not to replace the value of your phone. Of course Asurion has a horrible track record in actually fulfilling their agreement, but that really goes without saying at this point.

If you take the response in context to the message it was pointed at, then yes it makes 100 percent sense. Asurion states they will replace the device with a similiar model NOT the exact model. The deductable is based on the retail price of the device not the heavily subsidized price of the device that you paid and agreed to a 2 year contract for that price reduction. Bottom line if you did not have insurace and where still under contract your choice would be to replace the device at a full retail price if you want new or pay the etf and get out of contract.

the response was a whimsical answer to the post quoted

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)

kpryan1982 wrote:
both mine and the OPs posts before responding with your excuses for AT&T and Asurion's legalized insurance scam.

if you feel it is a scam, then don;t buy it - your choice. I have all the phones on my home owners policy as a rider - full cost of replacement with a 50.00 deducatable

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)
Your argument is not relevant nor accurate. First of all OPs phone was not worth $650. Maybe instead of the most expensive smart phone, use the average smartphone as an example. Secondly, Asurion failed to offer him a replacement for the same model he insured, instead offering him something of lesser value. Thus, they tried to rip him off.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)
Did it occur to you that if AT&T no longer carries the 16g model because of the manufacturer's choice that Asurion would also not have that model? I'm not standing up for Asurion, I don't use them, but sometimes people need to think things through. As wing rider wrote, use your homeowners

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)
Actually wingrider your "owe the company $49" doesn't make sense in any context. If you file a claim on $150 phone and they replace it for you, you would pay a $200 deductible thus overpaying them by $49 plus the premiums. You never at any point owe them $49, which is what you said. So, what you said made no sense.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)

kpryan1982 wrote:
Your argument is not relevant nor accurate. First of all OPs phone was not worth $650. Maybe instead of the most expensive smart phone, use the average smartphone as an example. Secondly, Asurion failed to offer him a replacement for the same model he insured, instead offering him something of lesser value. Thus, they tried to rip him off.

If you take the time to actually read and understand the documentation that is available on any insurance policy it specificly states that the device will be replaced with a similiar unots if the exact device is not available at the time - they don;t get a new device, they get a refurbished device, again f the contract was examined and read it would be self evident. reading if fundemental, especially when it ia a contractully binding agreement. It realy does not matter what the device was / is worth, the deducatable is based on the retail price NOT the price you paid for it. If you have ever gotten a quote for auto insurance they ask what is the STICKER price of the vehicle, not what did you pay for the vehicle.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)

kpryan1982 wrote:
Actually wingrider your "owe the company $49" doesn't make sense in any context. If you file a claim on $150 phone and they replace it for you, you would pay a $200 deductible thus overpaying them by $49 plus the premiums. You never at any point owe them $49, which is what you said. So, what you said made no sense.

If you ignore the post that it was directed at then yes, try taking it in context of the replied to post. Again you are basing it on current used price of a item, NOT the cost that the deductable is base on. the amount is given up front inthe documentation, if you did not read it then it is your issue

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)
OP was not informed of the deductible at point of sale, a failure of AT&T since their salespeople are required to provide this information at sale.

OP was offered a replacement device that did not meet the specs of the device being replaced, a failure of Asurion since they promise to replace your device with a similar one, not a lesser one.

If any of you are going to continue to criticize OP and others who been scammed by AT&T and Asurion, please directly address the two above issues.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)
Also wingrider, please tell me which definition of the word "owe" needs to be used for your comment to make sense.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2013
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

kpryan1982 wrote:

If you take the time to actually read and understand the documentation that is available on any insurance policy it specificly states that the device will be replaced with a similiar unots if the exact device is not available at the time - they don;t get a new device, they get a refurbished device, again f the contract was examined and read it would be self evident. reading if fundemental, especially when it ia a contractully binding agreement. It realy does not matter what the device was / is worth, the deducatable is based on the retail price NOT the price you paid for it. If you have ever gotten a quote for auto insurance they ask what is the STICKER price of the vehicle, not what did you pay for the vehicle.

You are the ones who need to read more carefully. The OP said there was an option of "insurance claim $200," which means they offered $200 for the phone. That is what I was referring to, and if that is not what the company actually does, it is not my fault that the OP provided false information.

Moreover, your claim that all insurance companies offer replacement value is completely wrong. There may be a handful of companies that do offer replacement value, but the vast majority cap your recovery at the depreciated value (for example, car insurance caps your recovery at the current Blue Book value of your car). Since you have already gotten use out of your product before getting it replaced, it doesn't really even make sense for you to get the full purchase price.